From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:linux-...@vm.marist.edu] On Behalf Of Sue Sivets
Sent: Wednesday, January 06, 2010 7:18 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: [LINUX-390] sles11 - adding dasd & yast problem

I have just finished installing Sles 11, and now I need to add two
mini-disks. The first is read only, the second is read-write. I tried
running mkinitrd & zipl like I would for sles10, but it doesn't seem to
be working. Mkinitrd is only writing 6 or 8 lines to the console (it
writes almost a screen full on sles10), and it seems to be changing the
disk identifier from dasdc & dasdd to dasda or dasdb so that /etc/fstab
ends up being correct for the current ipl, but not the next. I guess
zipl is working, at least the system seems to boot. If I run mkinitrd &
zipl manually, the new disks don't seem to be picked up and added to the
dasd configuration so they are avail for the next ipl. If I use
yast->hardware->dasd to activate them, then the dasd id is changed, and
the disks seem to be varied online at the next ipl.

How do I get the dasd added and mounted at each ipl?
Can I add dasd without using yast and if so how? What commands do I need
to run?

Problem #2 - When I try to run yast2, I get an error message that  Xlib:
extension "RANDR" missing on display "localhost:10.0" along with a bunch
of other messages.  I thought I saw something about Gnome in an earlier
error message, and I did not install either Gnome of KDE since I was
doing a z/linux install, and neither of these have worked very well on
previous sles versions. yast seems to work so far, but I much prefer yast2.

Can anyone shed any light on either of these problems?

Thank you

Sue Sivets

--
 Suzanne Sivets
 Systems Programmer

This email (and attachments, if any) is confidential and access by anyone other
than the addressee(s) is unauthorized.  We would appreciate your notifying the
sender and supp...@fdrinnovation.com immediately if you are not the intended
recipient of this message.