From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:linux-...@vm.marist.edu] On Behalf Of
Collinson.Shannon
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 10:41 AM
To: LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu
Subject: [LINUX-390] weird problem with pam_tally in SLES10SP2

I'm new to supporting linux, being a mainframe z/OS sysprog, so this may
just be a user error and I sincerely hope someone can say "Duh!" once I
explain this...

We're trying to build Linux-on-zSeries SLES10SP2 guests as close as
possible to the same level of Linux guests on Intel servers.  As part of
this, I'm including the following line in our /etc/pam.d/common_auth
file:

auth    required        pam_tally.so onerr=fail deny=10

That's the only change we make to the pam modules.  As I understand it,
that should block a user's access once they reach 10 unsuccessful login
attempts.  Well, the problem is that every login attempt is marked
unsuccessful even if the user had no trouble logging in, if they do so
via ssh (actually with a putty client).  That same user gets a
successful login when they try logging in directly from the (VM)
console.  So what I've done is created a linux server that's only really
good for 10 accesses-after that, the user can no longer get in till
someone hops on at the console with root and resets their failed-login
count!

I added debug to pam_env.so and pam_unix2.so modules to get a little
more info, but it all looks good to me.  Here's the faillog display
after I've reset the user:

Login       Failures Maximum Latest                   On

lxinst          0        0   01/29/10 13:34:39 -0500  cnu83757xg.

Then I try to log in and get the following messages in
/var/log/messages:

Jan 29 13:38:26 lxd1100 sshd[2335]: pam_unix2(sshd:auth):
pam_sm_authenticate() called

Jan 29 13:38:26 lxd1100 sshd[2335]: pam_unix2(sshd:auth):
username=[lxinst]

Jan 29 13:38:27 lxd1100 sshd[2335]: pam_unix2(sshd:auth):
pam_sm_authenticate: PAM_SUCCESS

Jan 29 13:38:27 lxd1100 sshd[2333]: Accepted keyboard-interactive/pam
for lxinst from 10.48.100.90 port 2458 ssh2

Jan 29 13:38:27 lxd1100 sshd[2336]: pam_unix2(sshd:setcred):
pam_sm_setcred() called

Jan 29 13:38:27 lxd1100 sshd[2336]: pam_unix2(sshd:setcred):
username=[lxinst]

Jan 29 13:38:27 lxd1100 sshd[2336]: pam_unix2(sshd:setcred):
pam_sm_setcred: PAM_SUCCESS

And here's the faillog display:

Login       Failures Maximum Latest                   On

lxinst          1        0   01/29/10 13:38:26 -0500  cnu83757xg.

Any idea where I've screwed up, or where/how I can look for the real
failure?

Thanks!

Shannon Collinson

Systems Programmer, Mainframe Operating Systems

SunTrust Banks, Inc.

Mail Code GA-ATL-4030

250 Piedmont Ave. NE, Suite 1600

Atlanta, GA 30308

Tel: 404.827.6070  Mobile: 404.642.1280

Fax: 404.581.1688

shannon.collin...@suntrust.com <mailto:shannon.collin...@suntrust.com>

Live Solid. Bank Solid.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in
reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please

SunTrust is a federally registered service mark of SunTrust Banks, Inc. Live
Solid. Bank Solid. is a service mark of SunTrust Banks, Inc.
[ST:XCL]