From: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu>
To: LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu <LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu>
Sent: Thu Aug 05 10:32:10 2010
Subject: Re: [LINUX-390] kernel: page allocation failure recommendations

Thanks to all that responded. I appreciate everyone's responsiveness. I
increased vm.swappiness from 60 to 80. It is too early to tell if it made
any significant difference. We have also accelerated our plans to move
forward with our SLE-10-s390x-SP3 production implementation.

Peter

Shane Ginnane <sginn...@isi.com.au>
Sent by: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu>
08/04/2010 10:10 PM
Please respond to
Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu>

LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu
cc

Subject
Re: kernel: page allocation failure recommendations

I quite liked this from one of the kernel devs:
<quote>
But please bear in mind, this "page allocation failure" message
is purely a developer diagnostic thing. The reason it is there
is so that if some random toaster driver oopses over a failure
to handle an allocation failure, the person who reports the bug
can say "I saw an allocation failure and then your driver crashed".
Which tells the driver developer where to look.
</quote>
Although recoverable, I'd be looking at adding storage to the guest. I
can't see swappiness helping in this context - but I don't see it harming
either, and I generally agree with the sentiment that it should be lower
in a z/ environment.
Getting up to date on the kernel would also be a good idea as Mark
suggested - lots of reports on late 2.5 and early 2.6 kernels.

Shane ...
(interestingly I don't see this post on the maillist archive)

Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU> wrote on 05/08/2010 02:56:54
AM:

> We are running the following Linux:
>
> Linux linuxp01 2.6.5-7.315-s390x #1 SMP Wed Nov 26 13:03:18 UTC 2008
> s390x s390x s390x GNU/Linux with SLES-9-s390x-SP4 + "online updates"
> under /VM Version 5 Release 4.0, service level 0902 (64-bit). Linux
> is defined with 768MB of memory.
>
> We recently implemented CICS Transaction Gateway version 6.0.1 fix
> pack and since then are seeing some page fault errors. However, I am
> not really seeing memory shortage issues with the z/VM monitor or
> the Linux free ?m errors. I am thinking about lowering vm.swappiness
> from 60. What does everyone think, is that worth doing? Any other
> recommendations?
>
> We are limited on memory resources but if push came to shove, I
> could increase from 768MB to 1024MB and increase the swap space
accordingly.

> I know, I know, all this stuff is old, but we are in the process of
upgrading.

This Email message and any attachment may contain information that is
proprietary, legally privileged, confidential and/or subject to copyright
belonging to Pepco Holdings, Inc. or its affiliates ("PHI").  This Email is
intended solely for the use of the person(s) to which it is addressed.  If
you are not an intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for
delivery of this Email to the intended recipient(s), you are hereby notified
that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this Email is strictly
prohibited.  If you have received this message in error, please immediately
notify the sender and permanently delete this Email and any copies.  PHI
policies expressly prohibit employees from making defamatory or offensive
statements and infringing any copyright or any other legal right by Email
communication.  PHI will not accept any liability in respect of such
communications.