From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:linux-...@vm.marist.edu] On Behalf Of Ron
Foster at Baldor-IS
Sent: Tuesday, November 16, 2010 2:21 PM
To: LINUX-390@vm.marist.edu
Subject: [LINUX-390] Defining channel bonding of OSA adapters with Yast

Hello listers,

We had an OSA adapter go out the other night on our z10.  Our linux
guests running under z/VM did not have any problems when this OSA
adapter went out.  The vswitches they were attached to had multiple
adapters defined to them.  The vswitch just moved things around and they
just kept running as if nothing happened.  (That is until the CE noticed
that our primary and backup OSA adapters that our vswitches used were on
the same physical card.  But that is another story...)

However, we have three Linux LPARS.  They had problems.  The OSA adapter
that went down was their only connection to a particular network.

All of a sudden it seemed to be a good idea to figure out how to do
channel bonding.  Spending a little time with Google, I found a SHARE
presentation (Networking with Linux on System Z) that gave me a setup.
The setup had you issue several commands, and then showed excerpts from
some configuration files.  Since I did not attend the presentation, I
was not sure how much I would need to add to get it to work.

Spending a little more time with Google, I found a post on the list from
Pieter Harder.  It had a complete set of configuration files.  I should
be able to get them to work...

But I am a YaST kind of guy.  I found an article on the Novell
knowledgebase (3815448) as of SLES10 SP2 that showed how to do it on an
Intel system.  I start going through the procedure and see that at a
certain point that I am supposed to add a device type of bond.  My
SLES10 SP3 system does not give me an option of bond.  I get ethernet,
hipersockets, iucv and several others, but no bond.

Has anyone been able to set up channel bonding with YaST?  Or did they
use files like Pieter put in his post?

Thanks,
Ron