In my SHARE user experiences presentation I usually warn people against even
answering that question.
Stephen has a good approach to an answer.

My boss thinks I'm a smart xxx when I turn it around and ask him "How many
rocks can you carry?"  Obviously, not all rocks are created equally.

I've had 2 z9 IFLs running about 100 servers (test/dev).
I've had 6 z10 IFLs running 12 servers (prod).

The answer is probably between 2 and 50 (although now with a 196 it's probably
more like between 2 and 150).
Is that helpful?  Yeah, I thought not.

Marcy

This message may contain confidential and/or privileged information. If you are
not the addressee or authorized to receive this for the addressee, you must not
use, copy, disclose, or take any action based on this message or any
information herein. If you have received this message in error, please advise
the sender immediately by reply e-mail and delete this message. Thank you for
your cooperation.