Answered my own question!  Found the error codes in the Kernel Messages on
SUSE Linux manual here:

http://public.dhe.ibm.com/software/dw/linux390/docu/l26ekm00.pdf

The explanation states:  "The device feature codes state which

advanced features are supported by a device.

Examples for advanced features are PAV or high

performance FICONR. Some early devices do not

provide feature codes and no advanced features are

available on these devices."

Makes sense.

Aria