From: Linux on 390 Port [mailto:LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of Martha
McConaghy
Sent: Tuesday, September 03, 2013 1:35 PM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Advice on TomCat and portal tuning

We have embarked on a project to support our main student/faculty/staff
portal
on zLinux.  It works fine under a normal workload, but falls over badly when
under a heavy load such as during class add/drop. The portal is running open
source software named LifeRay on top of TomCat on SLES 11 SP1.

We know there is a lot of tuning that needs to be done, but there are a ton
of
variables to consider.  If anyone on the list has any experience tuning this
sort of environment, i.e. Java without Websphere, we would love to talk with
you.  Please drop me a note.

Martha McConaghy
System Architect/Technical Lead
Marist College