We're running RHEL6.2 and RHEL6.4 on our zlinux servers under z/VM 6.2 and so
far have been handling HA by just clustering servers--yeah, any transaction in
process to a server that's gone down would be whacked in mid-air, but anything
new would route to the "cluster-buddy" that was still up.  That's not true
high-availability, though, and won't work for all our potential applications.
Of course, we're looking at SSI which will help out for planned outages, but
we'd also like to be able to do something in the case of a server-crash (i.e.
have some sort of heartbeat-monitor that could pop up/activate an application
on a different server if it noticed something was down).  We'll be
investigating Tivoli Systems Automation for Multiplatform, and the Sine Nomine
HAO (High Availability Option), plus I intend to see if the RHEL HA add-on is
compatible with zSeries, but I'm wondering if there's any other good products
to explore (as well as anyone's experiences with the above products).  We did a
cursory look at LinuxHA, but unfortunately our management is not keen on using
freeware, even though price will definitely be a consideration in whatever we
decide on.

Any comments from those in the field actually exploiting HA for zSeries at
their shops?

Thanks!

Shannon Collinson, SunTrust Bank, Atlanta, GA
LEGAL DISCLAIMER
The information transmitted is intended solely for the individual or entity to
which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material.
Any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of or taking action in
reliance upon this information by persons or entities other than the intended
recipient is prohibited. If you have received this email in error please
By replying to this e-mail, you consent to SunTrust's monitoring activities of
all communication that occurs on SunTrust's systems.
SunTrust is a federally registered service mark of SunTrust Banks, Inc.
[ST:XCL]