On Monday, 08/17/2015 at 10:33 EDT, Grzegorz Powiedziuk
<gpowiedz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> If that?s is the case ?.. why power7 and power8 officially can have up
to 64
> nodes per channel!?   (That?s what I was told by AIX admins)

The number is now 64 on the z13 with the FICON Express16s cards.  The
following will be appearing in an upcoming edition of the IOCP book:

Limit per FCP                  FICON       FICON
channel path (PCHID)         Express8s   Express16s
--------------------------   ---------   ----------
Defined subchannels             420         420

Active NPIV subchannels          32          64

Connected remote N_Ports        512        1024

Concurrent I/Os                 960        1528

Open LUNs (per feature)        4096        8192

> Can I have more (many more) wwpns and devices per FCP channel but use
only up
> to 32 and I will be fine.

The limit of 32 is on the number of active NPIV subchannels, not the
number of active connections being used by a given NPIV subchannel.  From
an LGR perspective, you will want to set a unique EQID for a matched set
of FCP pchids on system A and B.   This will ensure that LGR won't
overload any one FCP path.

The 32/64 limit is a soft limit, an IBM recommendation.  That is, it's up
to you how far you want to push the envelope with respect to error
recovery.

Alan Altmark

Senior Managing z/VM and Linux Consultant
Lab Services System z Delivery Practice
IBM Systems & Technology Group
ibm.com/systems/services/labservices
office: 607.429.3323