On 12/10/2015 05:58 AM, Alan Altmark wrote:
> On Wednesday, 12/09/2015 at 08:15 GMT, Barton Robinson
> <bar...@velocitysoftware.com> wrote:
>> My request to get this fixed was rejected by ibm several years ago. The
>> problem is that even though linux doesn't have anything on the vdisk,
>> z/vm still has to back it.  I asked for a diagnose as we do with real
>> storage - a way for Linux to tell z/vm the page no longer needs
>> backing.  So after the swapoff, can you detach the vdisk? That's the
>> only way with current technology to tell CP to free it up.
>
> The Linux community didn't like the memory state changes we asked for with
> CMM, so I don't see why they would assent to the change you describe.  A
> disk is just another address space that would need the same information.
> And there's no such thing as "I'm done" with swapping.

Newer Linux swap code does a discard (TRIM) on the full swap disk
if you do a swapon or on a bunch of pages if a cluster of that swap
disk becomes free. This depends on the parameters of swapon. This was
probably added to improve SSD handling. So if diag 0x250 would gain a
discard capability, something like that would become possible.

Christian