Is it only telnet acting like this? What about ping, netcat  (nc)? Does it
respond promptly?
usually delays with logins (ssh but I think telnet does the same thing) I
have caused by messed up DNS and reverse lookup entries. But here it is
different because it works fine after first try.

I think the default timeout for arp entries in linux is 60 sec
(cat /proc/sys/net/ipv4/neigh/default/gc_stale_time)
you can run "arp -n" to see if it is still there

Did you double check ip configuration and make sure that network, subnet
and broadcast addresses are correct?

Regards
Gregory