Sometimes, I can't believe that issues like that are still there. I
recently had a very similar issue with IBM KVM
I mean it is just a simple ftp url ... it shouldn't be that hard to parse
it even if user forgets or add to many of slashes somewhere out there.
IBM KVM for example didn't like like url like this:
 ftp://user:root@x.x.x.x/
I had an ftpd server which was masking the real path into "/"

That was to much for IBM KVM  (or actually Red Hat/Fedora which was under
the hood). I've uncompressed the initrd and found the script which was
parsing the url and  as far as I remember it needed /something/ to work
properly ;)