We have lvroots on all our systems, in the past we had root without lvm and
honestly in both scenarios there always was a way to get to the data in
case of problems of course if all devices were available.

But it is always good to have unique vgnames  (we do hostname_vgroot for
example).
LVM actually made some migrations between different storage systems easier
(but that was FCP). Thanks to lvm we didn't have to worry about some
aspects (mounts were always referring to /dev/mapper/vgname-lvname etc no
matter what the underlying device names were)

boot I still usually leave outside of LVM

Greg