On 09/28/2016 05:22 PM, Richard Plangger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm working on pypy s390x port and I'm currently evaluating the vector
> instructions. I have one virtual machine access in marist.edu.
>
> The vector optimization for PyPy do not show very good speedup for
> s390x. This is strange, because both PowerPC and x86 perform very well.

Do you have any examples of what you did?

> Is there some documentation about the setup (especially the vector
> facility) that one gets in a virtual machine?

You mean something that goes beyond what can be found in the principles of
operation for the z13?

There are some changes that gave very good improvements in glibc (e.g.
the string operation ifuncs like
https://sourceware.org/git/?p=glibc.git;a=blob;f=sysdeps/s390/multiarch/strnlen-vx.S

or kernel (e.g. for crc32)
https://git.kernel.org/cgit/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/tree/arch/s390/crypto/crc32be-vx.S