David Boyes opined:
>Tim's idea would be useful if z/OSe was still actively marketed by IBM....

zNALC z/OS, and the Solution Editions for z/OS, are the
successors-of-interest to z/OS.e (and also to NALC z/OS). The successors
are, in every respect, much better. IBM announced zNALC on January 9, 2007,
i.e. over a decade ago.

To be clear, I'm not asserting that my idea is "useful." I'm just answering
the question, that's all. The range of new use cases for Oracle Database
10g R2 for z/OS on z/VM is likely to be extremely limited at best,
especially given that Oracle Database 12c for Linux on z/VM is available.
I'm still not sure why "pretend Linux doesn't exist..." is part of the
need/desire/curiosity. z/OS and Linux both exist, and thrive.

>A full z/OS license at current prices just for creating appliances would
be
>difficult to make work in a cost-effective manner....

Last I checked, zNALC z/OS with a reasonable set of optional z/OS elements
had/has a U.S. commercial price starting at about $125/month, including
standard IBM Support (24x7 Severity 1). For prospective OEMs, I don't know,
but give your friendly IBM representative a call if you'd like to explore
something.

FYI, z/VM 6.4 already includes select components derived from z/OS 2.2.
That's no secret because IBM just told the world that fact in the z/VM 6.4
announcement letter. Alan could probably tell you more (if he's
allowed :-)), but my understanding (just reading what IBM has written) is
that z/VM's z/OS-derived components support certain z/VM elements and
features using common, battle tested codebases. One notable example is
z/VM's LDAP client and server feature. The z/OS-derived components are
really for z/VM's own use. However, perhaps z/VM's preexisting z/OS-derived
components would interest you, and perhaps IBM would be interested in
helping support whatever project you have in mind. No guarantees, of
course, but it doesn't hurt to ask.

Timothy Sipples
IT Architect Executive, Industry Solutions, IBM z Systems, AP/GCG/MEA
E-Mail: sipp...@sg.ibm.com