Thanks to all who replied - I tried most, but not all suggestions

The good news is I got the bug fixed.

It's pretty clear that 'stdin' was getting 'drained' somewhere down the
stack (I'm still now sure where), as John M. suggested.

Using another file descriptor instead of stdin (0) worked around the issue:

  *exec 3<&0  *                              # Link file descriptor #3 with
stdin.
  local nextLine
  while read -u 3 nextLine; do
    zVerbose "calling zSetOneSystem $nextLine"
    zSetOneSystem $nextLine
  done *3<* <(echo "$expList")               # read from expList on file
descriptor 3

--
     -Mike MacIsaac