Hi
What do you mean it still mounts a  gold LUN? You boot from from a NEW Lun
but root filesystem ends up beeing mounted from GOLD Lun?
First of I all I would make sure that GOLD lun after clonning is not
accesible in virtual machine anymore. Just to make it simple.

I can't remember how it is done in SLES but in RHEL there is a bunch of
stuff that refers to a specific LUN with a specific scsi_id

For example multipath (/etc/multipath.conf)  configuration. In there you
usually you bond scsi_id (wwid) of Lun with friendly name (mpathX for
example).
That multipath configuration is also saved in initrd. So if you boot from
clone, it will end up mounting wrong volume.

Are you using LVM?