From: Linux on 390 Port <LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU> On Behalf Of Mark Post
Sent: Friday, June 26, 2020 11:56 AM
To: LINUX-390@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: Moving Root to Larger disk

On 6/26/20 9:54 AM, Davis, Larry (National VM Capability) wrote:
> I am trying to move a Linux root (/) file system to a larger disk
> format

I'm not sure what you mean by "a larger disk format" because:

> I was able to block copy the data from one device to the other using the DD
> command below
>                 dd if=/dev/dasdb1 of=/dev/dasdd1 bs=64K
> conv=noerror,sync

This shows that you just copied an existing partition to a new partition, not
an entire disk, and you didn't talk about resizing the file system on it, or
how you avoided file system changes being missed on the, presumably active,
source file system.

> But I need to make the new Device Bootable and normally I would use
> FDISK on a normal Linux system but FDASD does not have this function
>
> Is that the process of ZIPL?
> Am I just missing something in my process, or if someone has the steps
> and would like to share that would be great

Yes, you would use zipl to write out the bootloader, kernel, and initrd.
But, you need to make sure it writes things to the new disk, assuming that
/boot is part of your root file system. If it's not part of / then you
shouldn't have to do anything with this.

Is the reason you're doing this because everything is lumped into one large
file system, and things like /usr, /tmp, etc., are all in it? If so, then
there's a "how to" on linuxvm.org that talks about how you can split off things
into separate file systems without having to move / around.

For LINUX-390 subscribe / signoff / archive access instructions, send email to
lists...@vm.marist.edu with the message: INFO LINUX-390 or visit
https://clicktime.symantec.com/a/1/LG8nbYHJk_3XOORmpwg-N7oFoVq0WdYhFyAtdI94OuQ=?d=YPn8voUO54RB-xI1pvK_hACCjmYgCMxXs4Dg578oeNOFouGBv_vN5O_wR0fXHE_1T5eAAeDrcm2mUMkAbmFKSA1BJ2rs1i18GFkNtUCpBg3l5MJgpvDfoG4VnoEJzGXknIvxXodt--j-ZLFU1s85eNzR9jcWxJHRizKEIavuVkLp8YT_7QCHUFX4nwXEtAnU4aXsIXoHAwb-wbMDkgeFByWlU9Xbs9yDQ9IQyO0haLDMhzAT_Qta7dJGu69urogGd4hp9AL8myTq1zdlPyrAquxEm-Ci6yYyHswbb5wM792IIK6RD1NtnM25xktA8IYL9Mf6AcGFhKcI9RXcjAbzsWstBDJZLvpMSs4dMlBc7a77OTmkmbR4Uh30a1a0lBY1QuObnXy6V-P8EedNylQr57CsH8VQaIgDNQ%3D%3D&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww2.marist.edu%2Fhtbin%2Fwlvindex%3FLINUX-390

DXC Technology Company - Headquarters: 1775 Tysons Boulevard, Tysons, Virginia
22102, USA.
DXC Technology Company -- This message is transmitted to you by or on behalf of
DXC Technology Company or one of its affiliates.  It is intended exclusively
for the addressee.  The substance of this message, along with any attachments,
may contain proprietary, confidential or privileged information or information
that is otherwise legally exempt from disclosure. Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient
of this message, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or
disseminate any part of this message. If you have received this message in
error, please destroy and delete all copies and notify the sender by return
e-mail. Regardless of content, this e-mail shall not operate to bind DXC
Technology Company or any of its affiliates to any order or other contract
unless pursuant to explicit written agreement or government initiative
expressly permitting the use of e-mail for such purpose. --.

http://www2.marist.edu/htbin/wlvindex?LINUX-390