Risking getting another message from Topica ..

> port of the ELKS machine. It seems to work fine both ways at the 9600 bps
> that is the default using 'cat /dev/ttyS0' though cat seems awfully
> slow.  How do I set the ports to other speeds, other than modifying the
> kernel source?

There is a function that should read (and the counterpart that should
write) rs structure (record holding serial port information) from/to
kernel space. It can be accessed via ioctl() calls but i think it is
buggy; actually i never tested it because i only had 1 test machine and
modem behaved in weird way on my box (i used it as "remote terminal"); i
just submitted the file to Al who incorporated it into kernel source
because driver was working without this feature just as well.

Check out serial.c file (in arch/i86/drivers/char directory) for
details. It is commented afaik. If you have any question feel free to
ask me.

                                        bye, Ab