On Thu, 2006-10-12 at 16:53 +0200, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Thursday, 12 October 2006 02:08, Peter Clifton wrote:
> >
> > > Wierdly, I've lost the Battery/AC adapter status monitoring again, with
> > > or without ec_intr=0.
> >
> > > Gets odder!
> >
> > Ok,
> >
> > Nearing completion of this tale I think..
> >
> > Turns out there is a known problem with psmouse, which leaves the
> > system / ACPI / something in a bad state if psmouse is loaded before
> > shutdown or reboot. Googling tells me that either removing batteries, AC
> > etc.. before powering up, booting Windows, or shutting down Linux with
> > psmouse removed, will "fix" the symptoms.

I got several reports that compiling psmouse as module and unload it
explicitly on shutdown helps to fix things on newer HPs.

E.g. this report:
About the fan and battery issue, there are three workaround:
 - Turn off the machine and quit battery, Place the battery again.
 - Next time you turn on the machine, turn it off during post.
 - "modprobe -r psmouse" (after compiling psmouse as a module) before
shutdown the machine.
Next time you turn on the machine, battery status is working. Not sure
about the fans...

http://www.wolframschenck.de/nx6325.htm#sect3
Similar introduction in German:
http://home.no/slazz/nx6310/nx6310.html