On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 19:03 +0000, Carlos Corbacho wrote:
> Alexey,
>
> > How about character /dev/ec0?
>
> Yes, that would be fine.
>
> On Tuesday 13 November 2007 18:54:51 Alexey Starikovskiy wrote:
> > What is the benefit of having acer_acpi in userspace, rather than one more
> > *-laptop in /devices/misc?
>
> A debate of "would it be easier for me to maintain an in kernel driver (if/
> when I can get it upstream) or a userspace application". At the moment, the
> idea of a full blown userspace application is just something I'm toying with
> in my head whilst working on WMI userspace.

I very much like the idea of a general EC debug/devel interface to
userspace.
It should be a separate CONFIG, marked "DEBUG", "EXPERIMENTAL" or
whatever and be per default off.
It is stupid that everybody who wants to debug a bit on EC registers
needs to duplicate the IBM EC implementation, this should IMO be moved
where it belongs to:
drivers/acpi/ec.c

The question is whether Len will accept/like it, Len?

   Thomas

-