On Monday 02 July 2007 05:25, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Monday 02 July 2007, you wrote:
>
> > On Sunday 01 July 2007 10:39, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > > Upon booting 2.6.22-rc6, the kernel says:
> > >
> > > Initializing Device/Processor/Thermal objects by executing _INI
> > > methods:<4>ACPI: System BIOS is requesting _OSI(Linux)
> > > ACPI: Please test with "acpi_osi=!Linux"
> > > Please send dmidecode to linux-acpi@vger.kernel.org
> > >
> > > so, attached is the dmidecode for my macbook pro (core2 duo)
> > >
> > > let me know if you need further information
> >
> > Yes, does it run differently with "acpi_osi=!Linux"?
> > Can you send me the output from acpidump?
> >
> > thanks,
> > -Len
>
> attached: acpidump (20061130) and dmesg (same kernel, booting with and
> without "acpi_osi=!Linux").
>
> I didn't notice any different behaviour booting
> with "acpi_osi=!Linux"; also tried suspend to ram, and it seems to
> work.
>
> for the record, I have had *no* acpi-related problems at all, since at
> least 2.6.19, up to and including 2.6.22-rc6.
>
> thanks for your time, keep up the great work

        Manufacturer: Apple Computer, Inc.
        Product Name: MacBookPro2,2

Thanks for the acpidump.

While the DSDT does check for Linux:

        Method (_INI, 0, NotSerialized)
        {
            If (CondRefOf (_OSI, Local0))
            {
                If (_OSI ("Darwin"))
                {
                    Store (0x2710, OSYS)
                }
                Else
                {
                    If (_OSI ("Linux"))
                    {
                        Store (0x03E8, OSYS)
                    }
                    Else
                    {
                        Store (0x07D1, OSYS)
                    }
                }
            }
            Else
            {
                Store (0x07D0, OSYS)
            }

            Store (0x35, SMIF)
            Store (0x00, TRP0)
        }

OSYS isn't really used much, except to see if the HPET should be in the GUI:

                Device (HPET)
                {
                    Name (_HID, EisaId ("PNP0103"))
                    Name (_CID, 0x010CD041)
                    Name (BUF0, ResourceTemplate ()
                    {
                        IRQNoFlags ()
                            {0}
                        IRQNoFlags ()
                            {8}
                        Memory32Fixed (ReadOnly,
                            0xFED00000,         // Address Base
                            0x00000400,         // Address Length
                            _Y16)
                    })
                    Method (_STA, 0, NotSerialized)
                    {
                        If (LGreaterEqual (OSYS, 0x07D1))
                        {
                            If (HPAE)
                            {
                                Return (0x0F)
                            }
                        }
                        Else
                        {
                            If (HPAE)
                            {
                                Return (0x0B)
                            }
                        }

                        Return (0x00)
                    }

More significant is that if acpi_osi=Darwin,
you'll trigger a bunch of Apple hooks via "OSDW" that do who knows what...

    Method (OSDW, 0, NotSerialized)
    {
        If (LEqual (OSYS, 0x2710))
        {