On Wednesday 20 February 2008 01:18, Ron Rechenmacher wrote:
> my dell d830 laptop seems to over heat and hang.

Ron,
see "Thermal Issues" here:

http://www.lesswatts.org/projects/acpi/debug.php

My guess is that ACPI (and thus Linux) have no control over
the fans on this system (as I've never seen a Dell with
OS controlled fans)  If the fans are spinning fast when you
heat up the machine, then they are probably clogged with dust
or there a mechanical issue with the thermal solution.

cheers,
-Len

-