Linux-Advocacy Digest #457, Volume #27            Tue, 4 Jul 00 16:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Where did all my windows go? (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Uptime 6 months and counting. (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: Where did all my windows go? (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: LIE-nux is SUPPOST to destroy data (was: Re: This is a Troll, do  not  resond
(was Re: Linux is junk)) (Leslie Mikesell)
  Re: C# is a copy of java (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: I thought only Windows 98 SE did this! (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Where did all my windows go? (abraxas)
  Re: I thought only Windows 98 SE did this! (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: Why Linux, and X.11 when MacOS 'X' is around the corner? (Jan Knutar)
  Re: LIE-nux is SUPPOST to destroy data (was: Re: This is a Troll, do  not  resond
(was Re: Linux is junk)) (Leslie Mikesell)
  Re: Which Linux should I try? (Nico Coetzee)
  It's not Commie to dethrone kings (Laura Goodwin)
  Re: LIE-nux is SUPPOST to destroy data (was: Re: This is a Troll, do    not  resond
(was Re: Linux is junk)) (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: I hope you trolls are happy... (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: LIE-nux is SUPPOST to destroy data (was: Re: This is a Troll, do    not  resond
(was Re: Linux is junk)) (Pete Goodwin)
  Re: I hope you trolls are happy... (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: Why Linux, and X.11 when MacOS 'X' is around the corner? (Aaron Kulkis)
  Re: Linsux as a desktop platform (Leslie Mikesell)

Subject: Re: Where did all my windows go?
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 19:37:30 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Cihl) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Hey, Pete. Keep your shirt on, dude! We're working on it! (Uh, i mean
>the KDE-team is working on it)

Faster! Faster!

>They didn't build Rome in one day either, you know. Have you seen KDE2
>yet? Really much cooler than the old KDE, and much more
>userintuifriendlytive, too. It's exactly 9 weeks away until release.
>Get some screenshots at the kde.org and kde.com sites, if you're not
>just a Wintroll, that is. ;-)

Yeah I had a look. Looks groovy!

>I think 'lagging behind' is not the right thing to say here. It
>suggests that Linux will never catch up to Windows, but i'd say that's
>not true at all, looking at the progress we've made in the past year.
>Linux is *quickly* gaining on Windows, so i'd like to call it
>'catching up to' instead.

Ok catching up then.

Pete

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Uptime 6 months and counting.
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 15:38:32 -0400

Nic wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis wrote:
> >
> > > Unfortunately, they are rather pricy friends when you are dealing with 10
> > > or so machines --- and while the mass-reboot every month or two is
> > > inconvenient, it still doesn't waste *that* many CPU cycles that buying
> > > a new machine instead of the UPS wouldn't result in a net benefit.
> >
> > Here's what you do.
> >
> > Open it up...you will find a 12.7V lead-acid batter inside (probably
> > a "motorcycle" battery.
> >
> > Now....buy a couple of car batteries...and put them in parallel with
> > the motorcycle battery.
>
> Nice idea... if the float charger can hack the current draw of the extra
> batteries without all the magic smoke leaking out :-)
>
> Although, if it's decently designed, it'll be current limited too. Of
> course, "decently designed" is not as common as I'd like it to be.

Most *power* devices are waayyyy over-built.

> Nic.
>
> --
> J. Random Coder < sky at wibble dot net >

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

B: "Jeem" Dutton is a fool of the pathological liar sort.

C: Jet plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a method of
   sidetracking discussions which are headed in a direction
   that she doesn't like.

D: Jet claims to have killfiled me.

E: Jet now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
   ...despite (D) above.

F: Neither Jeem nor Jet are worthy of the time to compose a
   response until their behavior improves.

G: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 19:38:34 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Your feeble attempt at patronising me not withstanding, Charlie, I read
that book cover to cover.

Pete

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Subject: Re: LIE-nux is SUPPOST to destroy data (was: Re: This is a Troll, do  not
resond (was Re: Linux is junk))
Date: 4 Jul 2000 14:38:27 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell) wrote in <8jrddm$7ra$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>Because there is so much to it - and you are doing odd things with
>>it.  You'd spend many thousands of dollars putting together the
>>equivalent functionality on commercial systems and since it would
>>come in dozens of different packages you would expect to spend some
>>time configuring each package correctly and making it all work
>>together on your particular machine.   Since it's free and all
>>together on a couple of CD's, you seem to think it should be simple
>>as a result, but there is no reason it should be simpler than
>>all those individual packages.
>
>I've found these problems pretty quickly, unlike Windows. Linux seems to
>have less working that Windows, and I've not been working that long with
>it.

Did you configure a version of windows with multi-user support,
email server, postscript emulation, and a few thousand other
things that come along with the Linux distributions?

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: C# is a copy of java
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 15:42:11 -0400

Leslie Mikesell wrote:

> In article <8jsmij$sp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Donal K. Fellows <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> >mlw  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> Besides, is there life without pointers?
> >
> >Yes, provided you've got references[*] instead.  (Refs are like
> >pointers, but without the ability to do arithmetic on them.  Pointer
> >math leads to *pain*...)
>
> You mean you don't like:
>
>  char *foo="abcd"; foo[2];
> and
>  "abcd"[2];
> and
>  2["abcd"];
>
> to all mean the same thing?

Depends if your compiler is good enough to recognize that all of
those "abcd" strings can refer to the same literal.

I'm sure that there's some sloppily written program out there
that relies on the fact that old compilers would store EACH
usage of a string literal at a different address...even if
they were identical.

>   Les Mikesell
>    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Subject: Re: I thought only Windows 98 SE did this!
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 19:42:59 GMT

<8jt3um$9ar$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>What happens when your programs try to resolve each other's
>names or even their own and your internet link is down?
>This may explain the hangups you have had.

Well, one PC is called BIGPC, and the other is called PC166. I'm not very
hot on imaginative names 8).

In the hosts file (on both machines) it has

10.0.0.1        bigpc
10.0.0.2        pc166

Since I never refer to other nodes, what confusion will there be?

On my main PC when I connect to the internet, yes, there is a DNS server
etc. but all IP requests go through that first, then through my hosts file.
No problem so far.

>Why not?  There are  several good POP mailers, and Netscape
>isn't too bad with IMAP.

Well, there's this ticklish problem. I download the messages from the POP
server. I could setup EMail on Linux so that it doesn't download, but I'm
not really interested in using EMail on Linux. I do use kfm and Netscape as
browsers, and I have tried krn (yuk!) for USENET.

Pete

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (abraxas)
Date: 4 Jul 2000 19:43:24 GMT

Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> Your feeble attempt at patronising me not withstanding, Charlie, I read
> that book cover to cover.

Yeah?  Whats the chattr flag to set 0 bit delete?

=====yttrx

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 19:43:35 GMT

bobh{at}haucks{dot}org (Bob Hauck) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>On Tue, 04 Jul 2000 07:34:17 GMT, Pete Goodwin
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>You misunderstand me. I meant "I do not use EMail on Linux".
>
>Disable postfix then.  Problem solved.

OK, I'll switch off the postfix service.

Pete

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jan Knutar)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: Why Linux, and X.11 when MacOS 'X' is around the corner?
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 12:39:13 GMT

On Mon, 03 Jul 2000 02:17:25 -0400, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Actually, you can write a program that slowly varies the delay
>between back-and-forth head seeks, and eventually, you will hit
>the harmonic frequency of the drive chassis, and the whole thing
>will shake itself to death  (kind of like the Verazanno Narrows
>bridge in Tacoma, Washington that lasted for all of three months...
>it's the weirdest thing, watching movies of solid concrete flexing
>like a long piece of white engineer's eraser (you know, the kind
>in a long clicker, like Pentel and other make..)

I wouldn't have thought of that. If I would want to destroy a HD by using
software only, I would constantly cycle the HD nack and forth from power
save mode, thus wearing out the engine, eventually. Maybe a few weeks or
months before it fails.

--
JK <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwind.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
resond (was Re: Linux is junk))
Date: 4 Jul 2000 14:40:57 -0500

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Perry Pip) wrote in
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>All of the so called problems you have posted on this NG are minor and
>>could be fixed if you would listen to the responses you get, or,
>>better yet, post to the technical newsgroups. Problem is you are more
>>interested in whining than you are fixing problems.
>
>I'm interested in pointing out the fact that Linux has problems, whereas
>Windows has less.

Huh???? Windows has plenty of problems.  You have probably spent
years learning to avoid them, where on Linux you are going out
of your way to cause them.  Note that no one so far has had
the same problems that you keep producing.  There are bugs
in every large project and the Mandrake distribution would
be equivalent to Windows plus about a thousand add-on packages.
If you find a bug, report it to the maintainer, and if it
hurts, don't do it again.  What's the point of posting about
obscure problems that no one else will ever see?  Have you
been keeping a list?  It seems like about 20 things so
far that no one can reproduce.

Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 21:46:37 +0200
From: Nico Coetzee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Which Linux should I try?

cpliu wrote:

> With all the hype about Linux, I'd like to give it a try. There are so
> many vendors on Linux, red hat, mandrake, caldera, TurboLinux, etc. Which
> one should I try? Are there any major differences? interface? How about
> compatibility between different venders?
>
> This must be a FAQ. Please give me a pointer or two before I get started.
>
> Thanks,
>
> CPLIU

Start here: http://www.linux.com/firststep/

This signature was added automatically by Linux:
.
Would the last person to leave Michigan please turn out the lights?

------------------------------

From: Laura Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: It's not Commie to dethrone kings
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 14:47:50 -0400

I just had to say that.  :)

(I'm now dual-booting Win98 SE and Definite Linux 7.0)

--
Laura Goodwin

"Pain is fleeting, glory is forever.
Remember: scars are sexy."

------------------------------

resond (was Re: Linux is junk))
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 19:52:47 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Gary Hallock) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>You are the only one that has hit these problems and they have not been
>able to be reproduced by anyone.

That doesn't mean they don't exist.

>"For instance, you have two kfm processes running. You want to copy the
>text from one t'other. CTRl-C CTRL-V is
> a standard key sequence (no, it wasn't created by Windows!) and kfm
> doesn't
>recognise it. Even clicking on the
> buttons doesn't work!"
>
>This is a lie.

Um, well, the X way of copy paste works but CTRL-C CTRL-V doesn't. I fail
to see why you call this a lie.

>"Linux KDE doesn't even have drag to application,
> sheesh!"
>
>This is a lie.

It is? Can I drag a file from kfm to Netscape. Um, by default, it doesn't
work. Someone pointed that it can be made to work.

> "Really. Still have your hands over your ears I see.
>
>  Drag a file from kfm, drag it to Netscape.
>
>  What happens?
>
>  Nothing."
>
>This is a lie.

See above.

>I specifically asked you what you meant by KDE Explorer.   You never
>responded.   I can't believe you couldn't figure out what the program is
>called.   I  just downloaded a copy to check it out.  Click on Help.
>The menu that pops up has three choices - Contents, About kruiser, About
>KDE. That might give you a clue.  Click on Contents.  Up pops "The
>Kruiser Handbook".    Go back to  Help->About kruiser.   It says version
>0.4.   By convention, fractional releases are beta.  That should give
>you a clue that it might not be meant for general consumption.

It was installed on the KDE menu as "KDE Windows explorer", so naturally I
assumed it was something like kexplorer. I had no idea that it was kruiser.
It took me a while to figure it out, because I couldn't believe other
people hadn't even heard of it.

At lot of things seem to be beta on Linux. smbfs is one, apparently.
kruiser is another. What the hell is a distro like Mandrake 7.1 doing
shipping beta code? Probably to make up for the lack of applications on
Linux, I guess.

>What?   What do you think JFS is?   You said UNIX filesystems and JFS IS
>a UNIX fliesystem.   Or are you now claiming that Linux is UNIX but AIX
>is not UNIX?

And what do you think ext2fs is? Is it not a UNIX filesystem? Is JFS _all_
the filing systems on every UNIX system out there?

>No, you are the only one that sees them!

I only need to look in the alt.os.linux.mandrake to see other's can't get
their wheelmouse to work either.

>It seems to me that you are the one getting desparate

I'm not desperate yet. Long way from it.

Pete

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I hope you trolls are happy...
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 15:54:04 -0400

Pete Goodwin wrote:

> [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Aaron Kulkis) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >Absolutely.  Everyone thinks I'm nuts for keeping my C: around 1.5G
> >and dividing the remaining diskspace into 2-4G chunks.
>
> >But...when LoseDOS-files has yet another epileptic fit, and trashes
> >a filesystem...well, it only scorches a small portion of the system
> >and I always cross-copy my user data onto a seperate partition
> >(usually a seperate physical drive, if possible).
>
> I think I'll leave my 10Gbytes as one partition. I've yet to see Windows
> trash that yet.

I was Talking about windows, you Ninny!

> And tomorrow when I switch it on, it'll still be there. Funny that. I have
> no fears of losing it, at all.
>
> Pete

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 19:54:18 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Liar, Liar pants on fire.
>
>Just stupid fucking kids.  That's what Pete is.

"My name is legion, for we are many".

How many of me do you think I am Charlie? Better get your shrink on
standby, I think.

Pete

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 15:55:58 -0400

Tim Palmer wrote:

> On Sat, 1 Jul 2000 20:38:01 -0400, Rich C <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >"Jeff Szarka" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> No... There is where you are wrong. You're not susposed to edit any
> >> config files. As far as I'm concerned, Linux does not support wheel
> >> mice unless they just work.
> >
> >Oh, so my Logitech wheel mouse will "just work"? Even if I don't install
> >mouseware 8.x or whatever software came with the thing? _NOT_
> >
> >In windows, you install drivers and reboot, In UNIX and its derivatives, you
> >edit text files. That's just the way it is.
>
> No in UNIX you recompial the cernal and all the app's and most of the hardware
>doesn't work atall.

What's all this re-this and re-that shit that you're talking about?

You don't have to re-ANYTHING on Unix...why?  Because unlike LoseDOS,
Unix just WORKS...and KEEPS ON WORKING...until the ADMIN decideds that
it's time to take the machine down

> >> Windows has been doing this for many years now.
> >
> >UNIX has been doing its thing for many more.
>
>  ...its thing = shfulling text
>

> >-- Rich C.
> >"Because light travels faster than sound, many people appear to be
> >intelligent, until you hear them speak."

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 15:59:49 -0400

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote on Mon, 03 Jul 2000 02:17:25 -0400 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >

> [snip]
>
> >Actually, you can write a program that slowly varies the delay
> >between back-and-forth head seeks, and eventually, you will hit
> >the harmonic frequency of the drive chassis, and the whole thing
> >will shake itself to death  (kind of like the Verazanno Narrows
> >bridge in Tacoma, Washington that lasted for all of three months...
> >it's the weirdest thing, watching movies of solid concrete flexing
> >like a long piece of white engineer's eraser (you know, the kind
> >in a long clicker, like Pentel and other make..)
>
> Heh...shoulda thought of that.  Nasty!'

Of course, that's assuming that you don't hit the harmonic
frequency of some other critical component first (like, say,
the power supply....

OH...yeah!  REAAAAALLLLLY NASTY!

> [.sigsnip]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- but I prefer my drives working :-)

H:  Knackos...you're a retard.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Leslie Mikesell)
Subject: Re: Linsux as a desktop platform
Date: 4 Jul 2000 14:56:45 -0500

In article <39621bad$0$17014$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Christopher Smith <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >And, as usual, blown *way* out of proportion.  I've been using PCs for a
>> >long, long time and the number of IRQ conflicts I've ever had has been
>> >miniscule and taken all of about 5 minutes to resolve.
>>
>> Perhaps your configurations just happen to be tiny.
>
>I'd call them "average" in most cases, with a few "above average".  I don't
>have any I'd call "tiny".  "Tiny" to me is a machine with nothing more than
>a (single) hard disk controller and a floppy controller (+ the other
>essentials like timer, keyboard etc).
>
>I am speaking in the context of an average end use here, as well, so don't
>be silly and quote some high-end purpose-built server config - it just isn't
>relevant.

Why not?  Don't you think people run Linux on them?

>My personal machine has 2 NICs, 2 SCSI cards, video card, sound card and a
>very old, dodgy logitech scanner card.
>
>> If you have
>> sound, 2 IDE's, 2 serial ports, a parallel port, on NIC
>> and one SCSI, you are out of IRQ's even if you still have 2
>> slots left.  PCI cards are designed to share IRQ's but I
>> don't think all the linux drivers understand that yet.
>
>Which is a Linux problem.  Although my personal system has no troubles under
>Linux (it did initially with the TNT card sharing an IRQ).
>
>However, many crappy cards also don't share IRQs well, which is a hardware
>issue.  The solution, I should hope, is obvious.

ISA cards never share interrupts.  With PCI the motherboard bios
assigns them assuming sharing is OK.  I still see warnings about
sharing in comments in the drivers even though they may now
mostly default to allowing it.

resond (was Re: Linux is junk))
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 20:02:28 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>He's just another Wintroll who realizes that his day's of playing Games
>on his Windows 2000 box are comming to an end.

Ah! That's it exactly Charlie. I'm a kiddie! I play games, therefore I'm a
child!

Boy your powers of deduction suck big time!

>Most kids are that way.  They look at linux and only see a few games,
>including
>quake.  Then they panic and start writing messages to COLA as if they
>were adults in an attempt to stop them from taking down Windows.

ROFL.

>His experiences from Linux are from reading thru the Comp.OS.
>Linux.Questions and Answers
>newsgroups as his mommie won't let him install another OS on the family
>computer.

You're killing me Charlie. Stop it!

>So he has no practicle experience.

Ah! So they let children in DECpark in Reading do they?

(DECpark was Digital's Engineering site in Reading, England. If anyone has
been there, the "street" has flags from every country hanging in it.)

>A sure dead giveaway's of Wintroll's are the following statements:
>
>#1.  I work in Artificial intelligence.  We develop Artificial
>Intelligence on NT.

Funny, I never said I work in AI, Charlie.

>#2.  I write .DLL's for Windows.

Yep, guilty as charged.

>And I will say, unqualified, with several Insurance companies behind me
>in this statement,,,,
>"WINDOWS ABSOLUTELY SUCKS"  It's totally useless as a stable platform to
>grow on.

And I can think of a hugely successful Financial Services company who would
disagree with you.

>#3.  I was writing software on keypunch cards.  I was using an operating
>system before you were born.

Pass the Zimmer frame.

I remember the days of the VT52 (or was it the DECographic Scope?). They
have a built in printer. It issued something that looked like wet toilet
paper with a screen dump. It used reed relays for its buzzer and sounded
like "breaking wind".

>And Pete, Simon777, and the others are all just stupid fucking kids off
>for summer break.
>
>That's all they are.

You wish, Charlie. Dream on baby.

Pete

------------------------------

resond (was Re: Linux is junk))
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pete Goodwin)
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 2000 20:05:05 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert) wrote in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>You are a border line serial killer.

Then call the cops and have them arrest me. Once they checked me out,
they'll then arrest you for wasting police time.

>You have a mental dis-order beyond belief!

The ability to see others point of view is sadly lacking these days.

>Or you just some stupid fucking KID out walking his dog.

Ah... I see. Charlies new line of attack. Call me a kid. Feeble, Charlie.
Is this really the best you can do?

Pete