From: . <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Sixth Sense
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 10:02:56 +1300

> Everything running on Windows is, by definition, a Win32 program.

Whoa there, sparky... might wanna check up on your definitions.

------------------------------

From: Brian Langenberger <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: New to Linux, and I am not satisfied.
Date: 20 Nov 2000 21:04:24 GMT

Dan Hinojosa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<copy & paste woes snipped>

: Thanks you crazy bunch of penguins.

Try highlighting with the left mouse button and pasting with
the middle mouse button.  No extra keystrokes necessary.
It should work practically everywhere in X.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 21:06:17 GMT

YOUHOOOO GARY WE HAVE ANOTHER ONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

CLAIRE

From: Seán Ó Donnchadha <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Non Sense: people who are clueless about the WindowsNT  registry...
(was Re: The Sixth Sense)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:12:35 -0500

Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> You're both wrong.  Searches must be done (the key names
>> must be converted to memory/disk addresses), but they are
>> probably indexed or hashed for speed, as is common in
>> databases.
>
>I strongly doubt about that. If indexing or hashing is used,
>while REGEDIT (for a Key search) doesn't use it, and offers
>you the classical textual search (search up, or search
>down)?

REGEDIT lets you search for a substring within a key. If the registry
is indeed a big hashtable, then it's perfectly obvious why that's a
slow operation while lookup based on a complete key is lightning fast.

------------------------------

From: sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 21:06:51 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Dan Hinojosa <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I really want to get into this so I don't want to down it.  I am a
java
> programmer, and was told that this is going to be a blessed reunion
> between Linux and Java.  I am running Caldera on a Dell Latitude PIII
> 750 with 256MB RAM.  Caldera came with KDE.  One of my biggest
> complaints is that I cannot copy and paste between applications, this
> just has to be written in some Magna Carta somewhere!  Is there
another
> desktop that abides by certain unalienable rights like copy and paste?
> Also is there a place where there is a large collection of PCMCIA card
> drivers?
>
> Thanks you crazy bunch of penguins.

New to Xwindows? Do you have a 3 button  mouse? then highlight the text
you want to cut, put the cursor where you want to past and click the
center button. Now, isn't that easy?

From: sfcybear <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Uptime -- where is NT?
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 21:11:10 GMT

In article <fJfS5.9250$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "sfcybear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:8vbkvc$iii$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Well, neither is Sun or or the Linux developers either.  Since
both of
> > those
> > > give incorrect results after a ceratain amount of time as well.
> > >
> > > When will you learn that you should watch what you say, since the
same
> > > argument can be used against you?
> >
> > The Linux Unix uptime has always been as accurate as the system
clock
> > for up to 497 days. As you have pointed out that not only is the
length
> > of time that NT records it 1/10th of that, it also was not accurate
> > (reporting random times). The statement was about ACCURACY. The
Linux
> > and Unix programers have proven them selves far better than the NT
> > programers in this regard
>
> Only one version of NT ever had random uptime reporting problems.
SP5.  It
> jus so happens that SP5 is probably the most common service pack being
used
> on most web servers.

That still leaves the FACT that NT uptime clocks are only acurate for
49.7 days while Unix clocks are 10 times more acurate than that.
remaining accurate for 497 days. BTW, I thought service pack were to FIX
problems, not create them! looks like the programers that worked on
service pack 5 didn't get that training.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy Newman)
Subject: Re: OT: Could someone explain C++ phobia in Linux?
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 21:37:41 GMT

mlw wrote:
>Show me, for instance, some sort of object oriented technique in C that
>can't be written better in C++.

There very likely isn't one as C++ directly supports the programming
constructs whereas C only allows their implementation (and with enough
discipline, adherence to convention and some macros to hide things you
can make it work reasonably well but it's no replacement for direct support).

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.os2.advocacy,alt.destroy.microsoft
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 15:36:09 -0600

"sfcybear" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8vc416$i6$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Only one version of NT ever had random uptime reporting problems.
> SP5.  It
> > jus so happens that SP5 is probably the most common service pack being
> used
> > on most web servers.
>
> That still leaves the FACT that NT uptime clocks are only acurate for
> 49.7 days while Unix clocks are 10 times more acurate than that.
> remaining accurate for 497 days. BTW, I thought service pack were to FIX
> problems, not create them! looks like the programers that worked on
> service pack 5 didn't get that training.

It's the same bug.  The only difference is that the Linux clock is less
precise.

I can't believe you're gloating over an issue that is essentially identical
between both platforms.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.java.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Linux growth rate explosion!
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:39:05 -0500

Tim Tyler wrote:

> In comp.lang.java.advocacy Artur Biesiadowski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Chad Myers wrote:
>
> :> But it has to break up the database into seperate files or
> :> do some other fancy tricks right?
>
> : Excuse me, but do you think that keeping entire database in single file
> : is good idea ? Does oracle (which seems to be clear winner in terms of
> : scalibility) keep entire database in single file ? No [...]
>
> : What's the difference if db would like to keep every table in separate
> : file ??
>
> For one thing, recovery from corruption is likely to be easier.

Really.  Actually, having everyghning in one table increases the
chance of catastrophic corruption.

Single point of failure.  Ever hear of it?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:41:06 -0500

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> What's your point?  If you plan to stay current with the software, it's a
> great deal.

This is called...not only do you not own the sofware your purchased,
now MS won't even let you own your own data.

> If you don't, you can just buy the non-subscription version.

That option will end, shortly, moron.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:43:48 -0500

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <i%_R5.9167$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> > >What's your point?  If you plan to stay current with the software, it's a
> > >great deal.
> > >

> > Nice try meathead.  The subscription doesn't update any of your
> > software.  When your subscription time is UP - YOU ARE OFF!
> >
> > The way your talking about this thing you'd think you
> > knew what the fuck you were talking about.
> >
> > I'm talking about MS OFFICE 10, not DEBIAN you moron.
>
> Try paying attention instead.  If you plan to stay current with Office,
> buying each new version as it comes out, it's cheaper to go the subscription
> route than it is to repurchase office after every release.
>
> Also, it doesn't stop working after your subscription is up.

"working" being defined as notifying you that your subscription is up,
and then aborting.

>                                                              It simply
> stops allow you to create new documents.

For now...

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 15:45:45 -0600

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> >
> > What's your point?  If you plan to stay current with the software, it's
> > great deal.
>
> This is called...not only do you not own the sofware your purchased,
> now MS won't even let you own your own data.

Where the hell do you get that?  You most certainly do own your own data.
You can do with it whatever you like.

Just because your subscription ends, doesn't mean you can't use your own
data anymore.

> > If you don't, you can just buy the non-subscription version.
>
> That option will end, shortly, moron.

Highly unlikely.  Microsoft isn't going to give up the revenue on full
sales.

------------------------------

From: "Frank Van Damme" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux trips over itself once again
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 22:47:37 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED]  wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> I'm not really sure that's true.  My kids, one 6 and one 4, are quite
> capable of playing games from the virtual console using the debian
> pdmenu package.  The 6 year old can start pdmenu by typing pdmenu, he
> can shut the machine down properly (ie., execute a halt or a reboot and
> wait until the post has started before switching off). He can switch
> between X-windows system on vt7 and vt1 and back again, he can use
> windowmaker's menu and afterstep's menu to start games, as can the 4
> year old.

Then he can do more than I can. I don't know anything about windowmaker,
I allways use KDE2.

> The 6 year old can 'make the computer talk' by typing say and then the
> sentence of his choice, he can use the 'up arrow' and return to say the
> message again.

You'd teach him the 'banner' command!

> He can play doom on it as well.
>
> He can start Netscape and check his emails, and is fully aware that the
> emails, net surfing, printer and lots of other things run on the
> 'server upstairs', but it's not an issue for him.
>
> How easy can you get?  If a 6 year and and 4 year old kid can use it, I
> would suggest it's reasonably ready for any office user.
>
> I no longer have to try to track down lost icons, deleted files etc.,
> because there's a security model which means the kids cannot delete
> important chunks of the machine.
>
> Of course, I wouldn't expect my 4 and 6 year old kids to be able to
> install debian from floppies, cdrom, ftp or whatever, but they're quite
> happy with the pre-install (which I did for them).  They're also quite
> happy with a multi-boot scenario, and know which OS to boot for playing
> which games.
>
> I know that there's a general trend towards assuming zero IQ on the part
> of any user, but the next generation that's coming have no fear of
> computers at all, thus are able to experiment to learn.  My kids are
> also aware that the Windows OS 'stops working' and the linux one doesn't
> (they spotted this themselves).
>
> I don't know what 'intuitive' means, and I don't think my kids do, at
> least in terms of user interface on the pc.  I do know that my kids have
> no trouble using linux at both the text console and X with multiple
> window managers.
>
> Oddly enough, the 6 year-old asked to have X-windows system put on his
> machine because he wanted the fish-tank and xeyes.  Interesting what
> catches the eye of the up-coming consumer, I thought.  The _really_ like
> the penguin with the pint on the sparc version :).
>
> Of course you can argue that 'linux isn't ready for the desktop' all
> day. I'm not very sure what that statement means.  I don't undertstand
> the
> 'it's not suitable for John Q' statements either.  It's certainly no
> problem for my children.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Mark

WOW. See what a good education does ;-)
6 and 4? I would start questioning the IQ of the average computer user,
yes. You could argue that children are generallt keener in learning tech stuff
like video and computer, games and internet but 6 and 4 is just *too*
extreme. I'm going to save this post and show it to every fanatic
Windozer I know.

--
Never underestimate the power of Linux-Mandrake
7.2 on an AMD K7 800 / 128.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:45:43 -0500

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <i%_R5.9167$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> > >What's your point?  If you plan to stay current with the software, it's a
> > >great deal.
> > >

> > Nice try meathead.  The subscription doesn't update any of your
> > software.  When your subscription time is UP - YOU ARE OFF!
> >
> > The way your talking about this thing you'd think you
> > knew what the fuck you were talking about.
> >
> > I'm talking about MS OFFICE 10, not DEBIAN you moron.
>
> Try paying attention instead.  If you plan to stay current with Office,
> buying each new version as it comes out, it's cheaper to go the subscription
> route than it is to repurchase office after every release.
>
> Also, it doesn't stop working after your subscription is up.

"working" being defined as notifying you that your subscription is up,
and then aborting.

>                                                              It simply
> stops allow you to create new documents.

For now...

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: I WANT WIN2k drivers!
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 16:52:20 -0500

Quantum Leaper wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Quantum Leaper wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > > disappointed.

> company,

> > > harped
> That
> sloppy

> Win2K.
> > > TRY,
> greatest

> Still
> > > very

> better

> > > I guess ANSWERING the person question was the wrong way to go....   Your
> > > right who need Linux!  BTW like I said before Aztech sounds are just
> alittle
> > > bit better than Zoltrax sound card,  which my friend couldn't get to
> work
> >

> > </MS-LoseDOS advocacy>
> >
> > Why would you deal with such inferior crap?
> >
> Price,  not everyone can spend over $2000 and then plunk down another $140
> for a soundblaster (1995 prices).   Which is why I bought a Aztech sound
> card.   Speakers and a subwoofer made more of the difference in sound for my
> sound card.  It sounded like a got a new system when I went out an got a
> good set of Altec Lansings.  Sounded even better when I got an SB AWE 64,
> when Best Buy mismarked it down over $75 bux.
>
> > Anybody with a brain buys only SoundBlaster.  Who the fuck needs choice?
> >
> True,  but you need choice or wouldn't be advocating Linux.   Choice is
> good,  in hardware and software if you don't have choice you have a monoply.
>
> > > under ANY OS,  Windows, Linux and others.
> > >
> > > BTW I believe every OS has it place.
> >
> > really.
> >
> I assume you believe Windows place in the trashcan,  I don't.

No..it's great for playing games, or any other application where
instability and insecurity are not an issue.

Of course...this does NOT describe the business world...

>  Until Linux supports the games I want to play I not going to switch.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.