From: "Bennetts family" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler review.
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 12:10:32 +1100

"kiwiunixman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> SO, conrade, by you so-called definition of an advanced OS, anything CLI
> is shyte!, yeah right, how come SGI super computers run UNIX? Howcome
> IBM's Deep Blue runs AIX (an IBM UNIX variant)? How come most financial
> institutions (such as the National Bank of New Zealand) rely on UNIX?
> because it has 30-35 years of proven reliability, NT4 was meant to be
> the big UNIX busting OS....hello!....UNIX is still here.....stronger
> than ever.

Come on, Unix is only about 30 years old, certainly not 35. Although Multics
might reach back that far, possibly...

--Chris

------------------------------

From: "the_blur" <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: Ok, putting money where my mouth is...
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 20:00:38 -0500

> Not a problem, Fred.  And thanks for the penguin logos.  :)

Hehe, I knew the peace pipe would be the end all =)
Have fun with them and tell me if you need more.

------------------------------

From: Giuliano Colla <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Non Sense: people who are clueless about the WindowsNT
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 01:16:29 GMT

Tim Smith wrote:

> Before speculating about how the Registry might or might not be
> implemented, go to www.wotsit.org and poke around.  They've got documents
> there describing the on disk format of the Registry, for both 9x and
> NT/2K.  Knowing how the data is stored on disk should give valuable
> clues to how it is accessed.
>
> --Tim Smith

Thank you for the tip.

------------------------------

From: "the_blur" <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 20:02:09 -0500

Scary stuff baby! Explains a lot =)

------------------------------

From: "the_blur" <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 20:02:45 -0500

ok.

------------------------------

From: "the_blur" <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 20:04:40 -0500

Go to http://www.mainmatter.com to see the first few actual uses of my
little pinguinos.

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Sixth Sense
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 01:26:30 GMT

Giuliano Colla wrote:

> > I learned, after that, that Microsoft modifies the addresses in DLL's
> > any time they want to, without warning.
>
> WHAT! Do you mean that you must use addresses instead of
> symbolic references (resolved at load time) to access stuff
> in a DLL?

No, Giu, you can also write your code to look up the address
using names or ID codes.  Obviously, though, the
routines in MFC were coded to use addresses.  Or, it just
occurs to me, my use of static linking was not planned
for by the MFC developers.

> Back in 1969 I selected HP2116 minicomputer instead of PDP
> 8, because (among other things) the link to system calls
> through absolute addresses seemed to me quite archaic!
>
> Of all the crappy MS things I heard this is really great!
> Well, of course it's faster, but it's from stone age
> computing!

Well, I'm not sure that this is real crap from MS.
However, there's still plenty of other shit in the MS
bag.

> Goes together with system not being able to tell who's using
> a loaded DLL!

That topic is beyond what I've done with DLLs.  The only
heavy DLL code I wrote was to allow a C programmer to
write code with a constant set of functions, so that
DSP algorithms could be changed without changing my
host app.  It seemed to work, although I'm sure that
my proprietary plugin system was very primitive.

Chris

--
Now why don't y'all juss leave this
poor ol' cuntry bawh alone?

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 01:31:18 GMT

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> Netscape 6 ate 65MB of my RAM in less than 30 Minutes of *very* light
> operating. It only released them after I *terminated* it. Simply closing the
> program didn't work, it stayed in memory.
> OE & IE has yet to take 65MB of my RAM from 30 minutes of heavy surfing.
> OE occationally does this, but this is when handling tens or hundreds of
> thousands of messages.
> And it *release* them, something which netscape apperantly refuse to
> understand.

What I don't understand is two fold.  First, Windows (NT, anyway) tends
to keep allocated memory around for awhile, in case it is needed again.
So why would Task Manager show a release of memory.  But it does, so
I merely do not understand.

The second thing is that Linux tends to grab memory and ... oh, you're
running Netscape on Windows.  Ooops!

From: Robert Kiesling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 01:32:55 GMT

"the_blur" <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com> writes:

> > Not a problem, Fred.  And thanks for the penguin logos.  :)
>
> Hehe, I knew the peace pipe would be the end all =)
> Have fun with them and tell me if you need more.

Hey, I'm not going to knock a freebie!

And thanks again.  I'll get back to' ya.

--
Robert Kiesling
Linux FAQ Maintainer

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
From: Robert Kiesling <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 01:50:12 GMT

"the_blur" <the_blur_oc@*removespamguard*hotmail.com> writes:

> Go to http://www.mainmatter.com to see the first few actual uses of my
> little pinguinos.

That is correct.  A little later this evening, barring unforseen
circumstances.

From: "Bennetts family" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 13:01:29 +1100

"Curtis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Bennetts family" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
>
> » In any case, NT5^H^H^HWin2k has a fairly high retail price, especially
with
> » the pissweak Aussie dollar, and with Linux, I get a more stable OS with
all
> » the apps I need (I'm a big fan of StarOffice, I use under both 98 and
Linux,
> » and I've never crashed it), a UI without the problems of Windows, plus a
> » real insight into the system. Linux ain't for everyone, but it's fine
for
> » me.
>
> I'm glad you found sanctuary somewhere. :=)
>
> I personally dislike StarOffice. It's too monolithic. If you wish to
> write a small document, the whole thing is loaded into memory ... some
> 18MB or so which is a tad ridiculous. I found it to be stable as well
> but I simply hate wasting resources more than is necessary (and yet I
> run Win2k ... yes well I did say 'necessary' :=>) and it displays fonts
> terribly.

Try OpenOffice, heck, help it along! OpenOffice has been split into separate
apps now, so it should be a bit lighter when you only want to use the word
processor (or any other part of it). OO will be /good/.

> I'd rather use Word or Lotus Word Pro (the latter I prefer).

Word Pro is nice, I used it for quite a while on and off with StarOffice.
But after SO5.2 came out, I just found it so much better, despite the bulk,
and I haven't gone back.

> don't need another browser either, or another desktop. StarOffice is the
> epitome of what the linux world speaks against.

OpenOffice.

> I also don't have the apps that I wish to use in Linux or the choice of
> applications that I enjoy in Windows if the need for a new one arises as
> it quite often does.

Yep, dual boot. Me, I can't live without FS98, I'm afraid. I did get it to
load under Wine, splash screen, and the control panel. It was mute, but I
still haven't got my Via audio quite sorted, and there was no joystick or
actual scenery display, but did manage to take off from CGX in the 182S and
lasted a few seconds before crashing (the plane, not the software).

> » In any case, I think Windows' main problem is that it tries to be easy
> » learn.
>
> Give and take. Linux's main problem when being pushed as an alternative
> to the average user is that it's too complex and difficult to use even
> at a basic level.

At the basic level I find it as easy as the 'doze, without the annoying UI.

various snippings
> » and when you develop experience, the things that make the 'doze
> » easy to learn get in your way.
> I find that as I get more experienced I use different applications from
> what an average user would. Win2k doesn't really hide much from you
> unless you're going into the registry. The registry, I agree, is really
> obscure and daunting to the passing user.

Yeah, although I now find it easy enough (poorly organised, redundant, and
totally buggered, but easy enough)

> However, a CLI is there. Batch processing is supported. Scripting is
> supported. Scheduling is supported. You can install Perl if you like.
> There's a lot of scope for advanced usage.

In my command line, I have doskey set up to emulate Unix commands like
cp,ls,cat,rm, etc. Much better (now, about those slashes around the wrong
way...).

> Any application that I use that handles plain text supports regular
> expressions. Remember that the OS is there for you to run apps. If you
> need the tool, get it and then learn how to use it. That's largely what
> user experience is about.
>
> IOW's you can easily make yourself at home using Win2k. You mentioned
> cost and it is indeed a consideration, but if you can afford it, it
> offers a nice on the fence solution.

I think it would work okay, but there still is the DOS hertiage (not in the
code, but the concepts: I am a big fan of the unified directory structure).
Things like that make the difference.

> Win2k is a different beast from NT.

I agree with your points, but I do only have 64Mb RAM (56 usable with the
video, damn Via MVP4 mb), and the cost is prohibitive. I'm happy with Linux
and 98SE dual boot, anyway.

--Chris

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windoze 2000 - just as shitty as ever
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 21:09:21 -0500

Said Mike Byrns in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 28 Nov 2000 04:34:43
>Giuliano Colla wrote:
>
>> Ayende Rahien wrote:
>> >
>> > "Curtis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> > I'm holding Linux users to higher standards.
>>
>> Don't mix up OS merits with user merits.
>>
>> I'm forced to use for a portion of my time Windows, but this doesn't
>> necessarily make of me an incompetent amateur.
>
>I love how virtually all Linux lovers say they are forced to use Windows
>at least sometimes.  Usually end up that they just plain can't do
>something the need to in Linux and have to go back to Windows to do it.

ROTFLMAOAPIMP!!!

Yea, I just love how that happens. ;-/

Sign the petition and keep Deja's archive alive!
http://www2.PetitionOnline.com/dejanews/petition.html

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 21:09:24 -0500

Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 28 Nov 2000 19:11:09
   [...]
>> Now, you can refute my reasoning, provide evidence to the contrary, or
>> attempt to ridicule my position by building strawmen about "evil
>> empires" and such.  Your choice.
>
>So, what you want MS to do is to go for vacation for a year or two, in which
>their market share will shrink.

No, I want them to stop monopolizing.  That doesn't mean they have to
lose market share (though its practically guaranteed in a free market
that one producer won't have such a dominant market share, which is the
whole point of a free market), but that's their problem.  All I want
them to do is obey the law and act competitively, rather than
anti-competitively, which is illegal when you have large market share,
and stupid when you don't.

>Then, when they're back on bussiness, you will judge their software by its
>merits instead of its maker?
>There is more to a book than its cover.

Where have I heard that, recently?  Oh, yea, it was Aaron Thickskull's
scathing response to your "Gee, ain't Whistler Neet-o!" thread.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 21:09:27 -0500

Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 28 Nov 2000 14:57:04
   [...]
>> Apparently Corel went far out of their way to make their version of
>> Linux act like Windows.  I don't think you'll find many people here
>> supporting either the concept or that implementation
>
>Way out of their ways.
>I agrees.
>Still, because of that, it's the easiest Linux for a newbie.

I would say it is the easiest for someone passingly familiar with
Windows, which isn't the same thing, in the real world.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 21:09:29 -0500

Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 28 Nov 2000 19:24:59
>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 28 Nov 2000 05:09:12
>>    [...]
>> >Garbage In, Garbage Out
>>    [...]
>> >You claim to know computers.
>>
>> Indeed, I do.  I know a great deal about computers, including 'Garbage
>> in, Garbage out.'  I didn't recognize the acronym, as it is entirely
>> unrelated to this discussion, AFAIK, and it never occurred to me that it
>> would come up.
>
>Oh, then I'm not the only one with acronym problem? Good. :)
>
>It has all the relevence to this discussion.
>Since you moved the discussion from curropted registry to curropted registry
>entries.

I did no such thing, though you continue to try to do so.  I'm
discussing the registry, and the problems with it, which encompass both
possibilities.  Indeed, I insist on making absolutely no distinction
between them, because both possibilities are outside my ability or
desire to identify and diagnose, let alone repair.  Both must be treated
the same way, in the typical user's perspective: reformat and
re-install.  And cross your fingers.

>Bad input result bad output.
>Can you see the relevence?

No, because the behavior we are talking about (which the registry
exhibits, but Unix configuration mechanisms do not) isn't a matter of
"bad input results in bad output".  Most pointedly (indeed, it is the
whole of the discussion), it is "bad input results in a complete failure
of the system in all output".  This isn't the way computers are supposed
to work, you see.  The whole point of having professionals write
software for us is that they're supposed to know enough about it to
limit the damage to "garbage in, garbage out", rather than "garbage in,
and you might as well throw it in the trash compactor".

>> >Yet you seem to be unable to make the connection with bad data to bad
>> >results.
>> >If I enter wrong data in the /etc, what would happen?
>>
>> Well, it wouldn't bring the whole OS to a crashing halt, that's for damn
>> sure.
>
>Enter wrong variables in .conf files, and your kernel panic, frex.

Which .conf files?  I am ignorant of any which would result in this
behavior.  (Later, you talk about lilo.conf, but that's like editing
your io.sys, not the registry.)  If they do indeed exist, this is
explained by the possibility that I've never had occasion to know
anything about them (I've used Solaris extensively, but not Linux).  If
only the same could be said for the registry.

>I'm not talking about /etc here, as the registry is more than that.

Well, in point of fact, you were, but I'm not here to nitpick.

>If you give the OS wrong input, it would BSOD/panic/crush.
>It doesn't matter in what form it is.

I'm afraid you're simply mistaken.  Is it possible that this could
happen?  Sure; no software is bug-free.  But the one piece of software
that is NOT supposed to fail to function correctly, even when provided
with corrupted, flawed, or faulty information, is the OS.  Some do a
better job than others.  I can't say Linux is best, though its wide
adoption and open source might well guarantee that it some day will be,
but the worst is definitely Win/DOS, followed none too closely, but
still well behind the pack, by NT/2K.

>> >It's not being "pedantic", it's being correct.
>>
>> That would depend on whether it was accurate, consistent, and practical.
>> Is it accurate, being precisely what you meant, to say "GIGO" when
>> discussing the registry?
>
>If the registry has erroneos info in it, what would happen?

Only Microsoft knows.  So it isn't very accurate of you to presume that
you do, is it?

>If I put wrong info in linux configuration files, what would happen?

Depends on the config file, and the info.

>Assume vital information for both case.
>Trivial information would've little to no affect on both system.

Well, we might say that for Linux, but with Windows, there's not really
a whole lot of way of knowing what is trivial and what is vital, it
being proprietary and all.  Generally, the worst that will happen, if
the info is vital, on Linux, would be that your system would not work as
well, and on Windows that you lose every piece of data you have on the
box and have to rebuild it from bare metal.

>>  Hardly, if you know what GIGO refers to.  Is
>> it consistent?  I don't know what your argument about /etc has to do
>> with the registry and GIGO, so I'm not at all sure it is a consistent
>> argument.  As I mentioned, I didn't even recognize the acronym, so out
>> of context is it.  Is it practical?  Well, since, as I mentioned, no
>> failure, flaw, or misconfiguration of /etc will generally cause the kind
>> of nightmarishly unpredictable and obscenely difficult to diagnose
>> problems that a corrupted, flawed, or misconfigured registry can bring.
>
>I'm saying that putting wrong data in vital places in the /etc will cause
>the similar results to putting the wrong data in vital places in the
>registry.

And you're flatly wrong in that.

>> So, no, it isn't practical, either.  Its not being pedantic, I don't
>> think, but it certainly isn't being "correct", either.
>>
>> >If you give the OS bad data, in any way, shape, or form, it would fail.
>>
>> You give an application data.  You configure OSes.  No, an OS does not
>> fail, is not, in fact, allowed to fail (provided it is a competitive
>> OS), just because you gave it "bad data" in some way, shape, or form.
>
>Really?
>Put
>mem = <some value greater than your RAM>kb
>in lilo.conf
>reboot.
>kernel panic
>There has been a discussion about this about a month ago.
>Isn't is a case where the OS fail?

No, it is a case where you misconfigured it, and it dutifully did
precisely what you told it, to the best of its ability.  Its not like
such a goofball thing to do is going to cause the OS to scribble all
over every config file on the system, causing cascading errors even once
the thing is changed back, unless you scrub the system and re-install
everything.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 21:09:37 -0500

Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 28 Nov 2000 19:52:37
   [...]
>Please explain me how the OS is to be blamed when a program require access
>to a part of the OS it has no need to go, and in fact, violate several
>conventions about how programs should work, in order to do something that
>would've been easier, more secure, more reliable, and complince with
>conventions, and won't bother the user.

By designing an OS in which programs require access to part they decide
they want to access in a technically accurate, consistent, and practical
fashion.  By defining conventions about how programs should work which
disadvantages third parties.  By making the technically flawed way to do
things the easiest way to provide value to your customers, because it
locks in the monopoly.  By making the must insecure, unreliable,
non-standard operating system possible, and then illegally monopolizing
to prevent users from gaining the benefit of low-cost and interoperable
computers unless they support that system.

>How would you feel if a text editor would save your documents every 10
>minutes, under temoprary names?
>That good, right?
>(I'm comparing the idea of putting data in the registry, which is good in
>general, to a text editor saving the document every 10 minutes, which is
>also good in general)

I would say that if I can't turn such behavior in a text editor off,
because of problems I encounter unforeseen and outside the concern of
the programmer, that it is an entirely disfunctional piece of shit.

>But what if the text editor decided that it need to save all those files in
>/dev dir?
>Or the  /home/<another user's dir> dir?
>How good it is then?
>(I'm comparing assuming write access to KKLM to assuming having access to
>directories which you only have access to in root)

You're building some convoluted straw man of a bad analogy, is what
you're doing.

>Well, if you are running as root, you won't notice this (as this all happens
>behind your back), but if you are not...
>The application would fail, wouldn't it?
>
>And now, please explain me, how the *hell* it's the OS fault's that the
>application decided to put the information in a place where it only has
>access as root/admin?

You mistake whatever thought experiments you dream up for real life,
Ayene.  What you just described may seem analogous to the registry
issue, but it isn't a very good analogy.   It could be used to
illustrate the operation, but in analyzing the mechanism, it frankly
sucks.

So because the whole friggen' industry doesn't jump up and modify the
entirety of its operations to conform to Microsoft's arbitrary (and
apparently non-sensical) registry mechanism, you figure its the same
thing as a brain-dead programmer not paying attention to whether it can
save a temp file?

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 21:09:46 -0500

Said Ayende Rahien in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 28 Nov 2000 19:56:03
>"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
   [...]
>> >You are confusing totally different subjects here, are you even aware of
>> >that?
>>
>> Actually, he's not, and that is the problem you are having understanding
>> the argument.  Microsoft wishes to take credit for the wonders of their
>> platform, but has no responsibility, according to you and them, to make
>> sure it works.  The Linux kernel developers would, I'm sure, have no
>> problems helping an app or driver developer make sure their product
>> works correctly, and would modify said kernel if it was shown that the
>> problem was on their side.  With Microsoft, none of the problems are
>> *ever* on their side, so why should it escape our notice that they wish
>> to have all of the benefits on their side?
>
>You fail to understand the point.
>How would you fell if a text editor that can only save his files as
>/dev/hda1, /dev/hda2 ?
>Or as /home/root/.bashrc ?
>Can you please explain me what this is has to do with ease-of-use of the
>system?

Simple: I don't know of any text editors that can only save files as
/dev/hda1.  The reason this is true, however, has nothing to do with
whether I know of programs that need to run as root, whether appropriate
or not.  Now *that* is two separate issues.  Unless, of course, you're
talking about Microsoft's registry.