From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does Linux envy Microsoft?
Date: 11 Jan 2001 19:05:56 GMT

hackerbabe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
: A quote from http://microsoft.aynrand.org/hate.html, referring to why
: Microsoft has been persecuted in the anti-trust trial:

: "There is only one fundamental reason why great businessmen [like Bill
: Gates] or great companies [like Microsoft] are hated, and it has
: nothing to do with so-called monopolies. [Microsoft is] hated . . .
: because [it is] good, that is, smarter, more visionary, more creative,
: more tenacious, more action-focused, more ambitious, and more
: successful than everyone else.

: Haters of the good [competing OSes and browsers] do not want the less
: able to be raised up to the level of the great producers (which is
: impossible); they want the great producers to be brought down. They
: want to use government coercion to cripple the greatest minds so that
: lesser minds will not feel inferior."
: --------
: Is there any truth to this accusation of envy, or are there other
: reasons people dislike Microsoft?

This is a common argument from some libertarians (I am assuming
the author is probably a libertarian due to the Ayn Rand in the
hostname - admittedly this could be a premature assumption.)

But what they don't seem to realize is that some of the opponents
of Microsoft are *also* libertarians.  They feel the ebb and flow
of laissez-faire capitalism is being prevented by Microsoft's
bully tactics.  It is common for some of these people to dislike
Microsoft, but *also* dislike the government's handling of the
situation - preferring instead a campaign of persuasion, getting
the marketplace to willingly switch away from Microsoft.  Sure
MS engaged in unethical pracitices, but they wouldn't have worked
if it weren't for the fact that the computer marketplace is an
extremely UNinformed marketplace.  In an informed marketplace,
people don't fall for that kind of crap.  But the computer
software marketplace is one where all to often the person making
the buying decision doesn't know a damn thing about the product.

Libertarianism is supposed to be about freedom of your money
AND your personal liberty, but all to often I see libertarians
who only give a rat's ass about the money, and think everything
else will just follow suit automatically if you take care of
the money end of things.

------------------------------

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 11 Jan 2001 19:07:27 GMT

Todd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: "chrisv" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
: news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
:> "Todd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>
:> >
:> >Nope... appeals *will* overturn the verdict.  MS did not break the law.
:> >
:> >-Todd
:>
:> You're an idiot, Todd.

: We will see when the verdict is overturned.  Who will be the idiot then?

The judge who overturned it.

------------------------------

From: Pete Goodwin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux *has* the EDGE!
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 19:16:42 +0000

Yatima wrote:

> Hey Pete. I can't speak for Terry but many of us simply use the best
> (subjective, I know) app for the job and don't care if it's CLI or GUI.

I have a strong preference for GUI application - I'm a GUI developer, so no
surprise there.

I'm not out to impose my way of working on anyone. Terry Porter appears to
be confusing CLI applications running on terminals on X with running
various GUI applications as "using a GUI".

> I really don't see what the big deal is. I've got a dual boot machine
> Win98/Linux (Win98 mostly for games :) and I don't think an app being
> CLI or GUI makes it better or worse. Why is clicking on a button somehow
> superior to hitting a key or vice versa?

I think the one area Linux does not have an edge over Windows is the
stability etc. of GUI applications. I've certainly seen a few problems with
KDE 2.0 so far.

> The one good thing about CLI apps, however, is that I can use them
> remotely from any machine that has a terminal emulator (nearly all of
> the ones I have encountered) and internet access.

That's one very good reason for Linux and one reason my file server is
Linux.

> Note: This is not a flame, I'm genuinely curious. Do you simply prefer
> GUI apps for purely subjective reasons or do you think they are better
> than CLI equivalents in all cases? Is neither of these correct?

I prefer GUI's over CLI's. CLI's are good for scripting or remote access.
GUI's are pretty good for everything else - but you'd expect that from
someone who switched from OpenVMS/UNIX to Windows some years ago.

--
Pete, running KDE2 on Linux Mandrake 7.2

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Travis)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Linux is crude and inconsistant.
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 19:11:14 GMT

And [EMAIL PROTECTED] spoke unto the masses...
:Kyle Jacobs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
:
:>Well, people are people, and they ain't gonna put up with Linux.
:
:Thanks for excluding me implicitly from the set of "people". What, then,
:am I, if I am not one of many "people"?

Why you are some strange creature from a planet far far away.  As is anyone who
actually likes using GNU/Linux , FreeBSD/OpenBSD/NetBSD, or someone who didn't
mind sending Sun 75 bucks for Solaris 8, or maybe grabbing Unixware, etc. etc.
etc.  Actually anyone who has even seen a linux box is a freak (this naturally
rules out Kyle ;-).

jt

------------------------------

From: "Joe (mvjap3) Philbrook III" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Ed is the standard editor
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 14:29:38 -0500

On 11 Jan 2001, it was written:

> ttk@typhon:~/prog> alias | grep ed
> ed    jove
> ttk@typhon:~/prog>
>
>   This alias has been in my .cshrc on every system I've had an account
> on for many, many years .. except systems which for whatever reason I
> cannot install jove on, in which case I've aliased it to "emacs -nw".
>
>   -- TTK

Where as I would rather alias ed to /usr/bin/vi

Then I'd alias all other editors <except emacs> to /opt/exp/bin/vim

But for emacs I think I'd alias it to /usr/bin/ed <Wouldn't that be cool>

Seriously though folks, which editor you should use is a personal choice.
I happen to like vi and love vim... but even at the risk of being
considered a traitor in the next episode of the traditional vi/emacs
holywars, I'll admit vi isn't for everyone... But only for the smart ones...

As for anyone who is so good that they actualy liked ed, I'd suggest

$ echo "line of text">> filename^M

<Snicker>

        ---   ___
        <O>   <->    Joe (theWordy) Philbrook
            ^
          \___/      < [EMAIL PROTECTED] >

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.development.apps
Subject: Re: Call for developers: Living Object System (long)
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 14:29:02 -0500

Jens wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>
> > > There are other devices available (mouse cube, data gloves, wands ...) but
> > > I have not used them so I can't say anything about their effectiveness.
> >
> > Yes, but are any of these available with a built-in time machine?
>
> Hmm, what do you mean? The computer keeps track of the time.

You said you wanted to allow clicking in FOUR dimensions (x,y,z + time).

Now...what exactly is different about YOUR concept of clicking on the
time axis which is different from today....that is...clicking one thing
now, and clicking another thing a couple seconds from now.

If that's the case, then your initial statement about "being able to
select in 4 dimensions.. x,y,z + time..." is nothing more than typical
pseudo-intellectual boilerplate.

> Jens

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: You and Microsoft...
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 14:35:16 -0500

Bartek Kostrzewa wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis wrote:

> >> Because Linux has its flaws too. And I'm not a zaelot, I like Linux and
> >> use it as my everyday OS, but I find some things about Windows appealing
> >> still, and credit where credit is due.
> >>
> >> 1) ease of use (that's for newbies, once it's set up correctly, it will
> >> not fail, and configuration is something you won't have to worry about
> >> again)
> >

> > Actually, the Unix CDE GUI is MUCH better in this regard... KDE or Gnome
> > are even better.  Why?  Because clueless newbies can fuck up the configuration
> > of a Windows box without even trying...conversely, they have no such
> > ability on a Unix or Linux box.
>
> Ok, a point for you.
>

> >> 2) standardized package format (rpm is ok, but distro's should finally
> >> adapt apt-get) [or for windows, the install/deinstall function, which is
> >> nice]
> >

> > What is THE "standardized package" format for LoseDOS?
> >
> > pkzip?
> > self-extracting exe?
> > arj?
>
> The point was phrased incorrectly, I mean, a standardized way of
> installing and deinstalling software, which on windows is commonly (not
> in all, but most cases) the wise installer, and windows' deinstall option.
>

> >> 3) hardware support (apart from the fact that Linux better supports my
> >> hardware, Windows has better hardware support overall) [but that will be
> >> cleared when 2.6.0 sees the horizon, I hope]
> >

> > Clue for the clueless:  The only thing that matters is how well YOUR
> > PRINTER is supported....and whether you bothered to check out it's
> > performance BEFORE buying it.
> >

> > Corollary mediocre support for even 5000 different printers
> > doesn't matter compared to first-rate support for 500 different printers.
> >

> Hmm... If you think like that, you don't think in money. Let's say you
> want to buy a hardware bundle for 1500$, but none of the stuff works on
> your OS, Linux... so you'll probably have to get seperate components,
> and it'll cost you 1k$ more... that's the point.

Then you haven't done your homework.  I can find printers in ALL
price ranges that are supported by Linux.

Once again, what is the virtue in the mediocre printer support
provided by windows?

> >> 4) ISDN configuration (isdn4k is just crap) [SuSE has some nice tools,
> >> apart from that, their distro is crap]
> >

> > Temporary situation.  I certainly wouldn't make long-term plans
> > based on this.
> >

> >> 5) it needs a better browser, although this is not Linux' fault, now
> >> that OS's are rather counted as solutions, not only as kernels, I can
> >> clearly state that Linux misses a better browser (mozilla and konqueror
> >> slowly getting there)
> >

> > IE is pretty lousy, too.
>
> I like it, it's the only good soft M$ ever made.

M$ stole it.  They used a shell company to purchase NCSA Mosaic....
Which was, ironically, written by Andreesen, the guy who founded Netscape.

> >> 6) I'd like to play games too, lokigames is nice and I wish them well,
> >> but they're overpriced and I hope to see more games in the near future,
> >> and earlier releases.
> >

> > Linux Business apps -> more widespread business usage of Linux.
> >
> > Widespread business usage of Linux => joe office workers buying Linux for home
> >
> > More home Linux machines => more games.
> >

> > This is the dynamic we saw with DOS...I have no reason to believe that
> > it will be different with Linux.
> >

> And I sure hope so, take a look at my PS comment, and you'll see.
>

> >> That's about it, depending on your viewpoint, you could drop away 1)
> >> [linux is easy to use, as long as you don't want to change any major
> >> preferences] 5) [depending on you viewpoint this is not related to the
> >> OS] 6) [again, depending on your viewpoint this can be counted as not
> >> OS-related]
> >>
> >> And now a flaw both OS's have:
> >>
> >> Bloated GUI interface (where X is even more bloated [when running 3d
> >> games with NVidia dirvers, 100 MB memory footprint, wtf? although this
> >> got better with 4.0.2 now, it's still hopelessly bloated, framebuffer?
> >> nah, want my 3d] than explorer)
> >

> > As opposed to Windows GUI???????
>
> Even explorer has a smaller footprint than X...
>

> >> PS: in a year or two, I'm sure I'll have not one negative about Linux to
> >> post, now that many changes are happening, I see a great time for the
> >> penguin!
>
> Well, as I said here, times will come when Linux will have no more
> flaws, it'll just be as perfect as an OS can be. My prediction: 1 year
> and 6 months or 2 years

I currently can't find anything that I would call a "flaw" in Linux.
Deficiencies...yes...(that is, things that should be polished up a bit),
but flaws...broken things....few and far between.

> --
> Best regards,
> Bartek Kostrzewa - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> <<< http://technoage.web.lu >>>

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (John Travis)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 19:21:45 GMT

And [EMAIL PROTECTED] spoke unto the masses...
:i see your wager, and i raise you that if you drive a McLaren, you probably have
:experience with cars..

Ahh yes an F1.  They send you a plane ticket to fly over so they can mold that
middle poisitioned driver seat to your ass.  They give you a custom designed
set of luggage to fit perfectly in the very odd "trunk."  The car has a built in
modem to send diagnostics (and tune performance) to McLaren.  Theoretically
you should be able to survive a crash at incredibly high triple digit speeds due
to the basically all carbon fibre indie like tub protecting the driver.  But at
almost a million dollars I guess this all should be expected.  I could of course
drive out to Hennessey and have him build me a 750 horsepower viper that will
pull 210 mph+ for less than a quarter of the price of an F1.  But somehow I have
a feeling that a wreck at say 150 in that car would leave that huge 488 (pre
mod) melting a huge smoking whole in your chest :-).

jt

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I am trying Linux out for the first time.
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 14:46:44 -0500

rus wrote:

> I find the video setup disheartening. I also find that text editing
> instead of GUI controls for program setup frustrating.

Believe me....a year from now, you'll wonder why anybody would ever
want GUI setups.

Having used MANY vendor's GUI tools for configuration....I'll tell
you that NOTHING beats looking at the config files with your own
eyes, understanding what things do, and TRULY configuring things
the way that YOU want (not merely the 2 or 3 options given to you
by the GUI tool writer).

> I am using Caldera distro.  Is there a distro for people only having time to do
> work and not time for figuring out their OS?

Depends on what you want to do.

Mandrake gets a lot of praise in this respect.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux 2.4 Major Advance
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 14:49:15 -0500

Chad Myers wrote:

> "Nigel Feltham" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:93iqka$a6g8m$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >With a kernel-mode HTTP server that no one would ever use in the real
> > world?
> > >So what?
> > >
> > >IIS kicks everyone else, including Apache. Who cares about a cheesy
> > kernel-mode
> > >server.
> >

> > Kernel 2.4 has built-in http server which can work together with Apache -
> > the kernel
> > server for static pages and apache for active page sections - why wouldn't
> > anyone
> > want to do this - huge speed gains (depending on ratio of active and static
> > content)
> > with no loss of features.
>
> Just a few reasons:
>
> Security - running things in the kernel is a Bad Idea (tm)

And yet, LoseDOS products all have that with the GUI.

> Reliability - any bugs in the http daemon bork the whole system. And yes,
> all http daemons have bugs. Apache and IIS both continue to have bugs
> posted on them even to this day.

On static files?

> > >You're the one that doesn't read the news and attempts to debate me with
> > >months-old news, and claims that Linux supports things that it only does so
> > >in a beta/unsupported/non-stable way. You also claim that Linux is fast
> > >because someone decided to put a server in the kernel which isn't
> > practical.
> > >

> > MS is also unstable - calling half-finished code a release and then using
> > service
> > updates to try to finish the product once sold is hardly any better than
> > using
> > early test releases of product which admits to being unfinished.
>
> Conjecture.
>
> -Chad

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux.sux
Subject: Re: Who LOVES Linux again?
Date: 11 Jan 2001 19:44:10 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>
:> Dunno.  Looks like software.  I've had this happen to me once.
:> Although since using Linux since 1.1.13 I'm not complaining.
:>
:> What I do find is netscape chews into swap over an extended
:> period of time, and thrashes the disk.  Moreso when so
:> is loaded.  Fighting for resource?

: Add memory.  This will stop the thrashing.

Not always.  If the process has a memory leak, it just DELAYS
the thrashing until later, taking longer to eat up available
real memory.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is Bill Gates MAD?!?!?
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 14:51:51 -0500

Steve Mading wrote:

> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Steve Mading wrote:
> :> Specify, what is it that is illegal?
>
> : You're not allowed to pump your own gas in New Jersey.
>
> You've got to be kidding.  Me and my boss were just out there
> about 4 months ago visiting Rutgers, and I could swear we
> stopped for gas some time during our stay and filled up the
> rental car, in the standard self-serve style.  My memory could
> be faulty, though, since I wasn't the one doing the driving and
> so I wasn't really paying attention.
>
> Can't pump your own gas??!  That's just plain stupid - why?

New Jersey and Colorado (?) have laws prohibiting "self serve" gas sales.

> [absurd-length sig snip]

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.os2.apps,comp.os.os2.misc,comp.os.os2.networking.tcp-ip,alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: Operating Systems? Where would you go next?
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2001 14:54:32 -0500

Steve Mading wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy "Shmuel (Seymour J.) Metz"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : In <93g8to$kkm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on 01/10/2001
> :    at 12:04 AM, Steve Mading <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> :>I usually need the context, because a line like "myfunc(foo);" looks
> :>pretty much the same whether it's inside an if condition I'm
> :>interested in or not...
>
> : XEDIT also lets you add to the view lines before or after a displayed
> : line.
>
> At that point I lose the benefit of having the matches in a list.

Must...not.....state....embarassing.....conclusions.....

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Marada C. Shradrakaii)
Date: 11 Jan 2001 20:00:36 GMT
Subject: Re: Linux is awful

>Which is why CrapWindows, err I mean XWindows defaults you back to
>320x200 if you get ANYTHING wrong (I had the gall to use X
>configurator to actually try and make a standard PS/2 mouse work).
>Sheesh.

The X server generally wants to provide 256 colours (at least XF86_SVGA seems
that way)... the only way it can be sure of getting that is to go 320x200.
It's a failsafe.
--
Marada Coeurfuege Shra'drakaii
Colony name not needed in address.