From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Subject: Re: MS to Enforce Registration - or Else
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:36:48 -0500

Robert Surenko wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.misc Peter T. Breuer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>>>

> >> I've given an example of a fact that can not be repeated and can't
> >> be proven with the Scientific Method.
>
> > But there are simpler tests. Just ask lots of people if they saw jfk
> > alive after the event. And ask the people who filmed him being
> > shot how shot he was. You can also ask his wife how she managed to get
> > legal permission to remarry! Whilst these are not conclusive tests,
> > they can take the probability of error down to negligable values.
> > I think he's dead, with a very high degree of certainty.
>
> I agree, however, you are using deductive reasoning to gain insight,
> not the Scientific Method.

a distinction without a difference, in this case.

> A Materialist would say that a human being is a bag of chemical
> reactions. And then claim that these reactions find knowlege
> through deductive reasoning.
>
> My question to a Materialist is How do we know that a Historical
> event happen when it's belief could simply be a rush of hormones?
>
> > Peter

> - Bob Surenko                              [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> - http://www.fred.net/surenko/

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: .NET is plain .NUTS
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:36:54 -0500

Bloody Viking wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> : No...it's better to say
>
> : "Look boss...if I do that....do you have any employees who you don't
> : trust...for any reason?...or any employees who might be pissed at you,
> : or the company...or *their* supervisor.....or their supervisor's
> : supervisor?....I'm sure that somewhere...out in the office, there's
> : at least ONE employee who, if he had a chance to totally fuck over
> : this business....would do it in a heart beat...leaving not just me
> : without a job...but have YOU in court against Microsoft's legions of
> : lawyers, with the end result being you declaring bankruptcy.
> : Have you seen the ads for the BSA?  They're a bunch of snot-nosed
> : punks who basically play "Vito the Enforcer" for Gates and his
> : cronies a Microsoft....now...all that....maybe quietly frustrated
> : employee has to do is call the BSA, and tell them that they should
> : audit OUR business.
>
> : Frankly...we're in a bind....this is ...the NEW Microsoft.  Remember
> : when he said that he doesn't care if people pirated his software,
> : because eventually, they would get addicted.  Well...look, you just
> : told me to commit a BLATANTLY illegal act...because...lets face it...
> : you're now one of Billy-the-Pusher's addicts...and guess what...he's
> : not giving it away for free any more."
>
> : "now....you've got two choices.  We can continue to use the
> : pusher's product...and face spiraling prices.  .NET will make
> : sure of that...every machine can be UNIQUELY identified.....the
> : activation keys, that will be kept in Redmond, not here....will
> : NOT be sent to a machine unless THAT machine's signature is on
> : file AND PAID UP.
>
> : Now...the other choice is....to convert to something that is not
> : only cheaper....where WE *CAN* make as many installations as we
> : want without being dragged into court....but...it works better, too."
>
> : "So, tell me...which would you prefer....living in fear that we're
> : all going to get dragged into court, and lose the business....or
> : INCREASE the profit margin, and migrate to something that works,
> : and DOESN'T have any licensing fees...and never will"
>
> And if the boss is stupid enough to cut you off as you say all this, he'll
> probably fire you for "insubordination" or some such crap. So, that means he's
> a bad job reference when looking for the new job. What you do is pick up the
> phone and call the BSA "Vito the Enforcers" to financially nuke his arse onto
> the street. No more bad job reference as the company is no more.

hehehehhe

> If after that debacle, you start your own business, you use Linux with
> OpenOffice to prevent the same fate from befalling you. All it takes to go
> postal is call the BSA when a company uses Microsoft products.
>
> I still like my idea of "If you fire me, I'll call the BSA". Next best thing
> to a suitcase nuke.

too true.

> --
> FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
> The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
> The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:40:47 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Robert Surenko wrote:
>>
>> In comp.os.linux.misc Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > Robert Surenko wrote:
>> >>
>> Your missing the point. How do we "know" that a historical event happened?
>>

> How do you know that this was posted?

Deductive reasoning --- You responded. Note that if I tried to use
the Scientific Method I would fail.

My next thousand posts could all post. That would not prove that "the"
post did.

So... it is possible to know things that are unprovable using the
Scentific Method?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:44:31 -0000

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:09:58 +0000, Matthias Warkus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>It was the Tue, 20 Feb 2001 20:18:46 -0000...
>...and Donald R. McGregor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> The UK has seen gun crime go up since the laws passed.
>
>This sort of claim is made by pro-gun advocates about every geographic
>area where any gun control legislation has passed. Wasn't it Australia
>or New Zealand where crime rates allegedly "skyrocketed" after gun
>control was legislated, whereby in reality they did not even increase?

        OTOH, Aaron has hit upon an excellent point.

        There are "lies, damned lies and statistics". What's really
        relevant is not the core numbers but what percentage of those
        numbers are criminals waging war on each other. Guns used in
        cases of manslaughter might be relevant as well.

[deletia]

        Anything beyond manslaughter and you're talking about intent
        sufficient enough to likely make any extra laws pretty irrelevant.

--

        Also while the herd mentality is certainly there, I think the
        nature of software interfaces and how they tend to interfere

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:44:53 -0000

--

        Section 8. The Congress shall have power...

        To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for
        limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their
        respective writings and discoveries;
                                                               / | \

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Donald R. McGregor)
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:45:05 -0000

Followups set to a more appropriate group.

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Matthias Warkus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>It was the Tue, 20 Feb 2001 20:18:46 -0000...
>...and Donald R. McGregor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> The UK has seen gun crime go up since the laws passed.
>
>This sort of claim is made by pro-gun advocates about every geographic
>area where any gun control legislation has passed. Wasn't it Australia

----
Police move to tackle huge rise in gun crime
By Ian Burrell, Home Affairs Correspendent

A national firearms database is to be established for the first time,
amid fears over record levels of gun crime.

The setting up of the database, recommended by the official inquiry into
the Dunblane massacre of 1996, comes as a report by senior criminal
intelligence officers has uncovered "major weaknesses" in the way
British police tackle gun crime. For the past 11 months, a team of
officers from the National Criminal Intelligence Service has compiled
details of weapons and ammunition seized by the police and has concluded
that the scale of Britain's black market in firearms is "far higher than
anybody had previously thought".
----

http://www.observer.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,6903,363711,00.html

One in three young criminals is armed

Government research shows use of guns is on the rise and gangster films
are blamed for making it seem 'cool'

Special report: gun violence in Britain

Tony Thompson
Sunday September 3, 2000

One in three criminals under the age of 25 owns or has access to a
firearm, the Government's researchers have discovered.
A continuing parliamentary inquiry into the growing number of black
market weapons has concluded that there are more than three million
illegally held fireahms in circulation - double the number believed to
have been held 10 years ago - and that criminals are more willing than
ever to use them.
----

--
Don McGregor    | "The cemetery is filled with indispensable men."
[EMAIL PROTECTED]|     --DeGaulle

------------------------------

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Whistler/.NET will Help Linux
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:45:56 GMT

Said Erik Funkenbusch in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 19 Feb 2001
   [...]
>IBM was marketing it as a replacement for windows.  They misled people about
>the nature of the Windows support.

IBM was marketing it as an OS.  An 'alternative' to Windows, perhaps.
Most of the industry, of course, saw Windows as an alternative to OS/2,
and after MS got done with their illegal campaign to destroy competition
and their FUD, they didn't see it as a viable one, due to their
carefully incubated ignorance.

>> DOS and Win3/95 drivers don't seem to work on NT3 or 4.  Is that a major
>> flaw in NT, or just a design decision?
>
>Microsoft didn't market NT as a better windows than Windows, and didn't
>market it as a replacement for Windows 3.1.

Yes they did; on both counts.  It was a Unix killer, too, and oh, it
could finally manage to compete with OS/2 on the merits, we were
supposed to believe.

>> > MS made Win32 programs work with existing DOS and windows drivers,
>> > something that OS/2 didn't do.  This was important to consumers, as
>> > was the solid look and feel.
>>
>> Of course, Win95 was slower and less reliable (and that's saying
>> something) if you took advantage of this.
>
>Not even, Win95 was much faster than Windows 3.1, and was much more stable
>than 3.1.

Yes, but slower and less reliable than OS/2, which was the point.  You
really *do* have blinders on, don't you?

   [...]
>No.  You said that MS is afraid of these kids.  I didn't say that.  I said
>MS wants Congress to believe they are being victimized.  Two different
>things.

Yes; one is an understandable if somewhat rhetoric statement; "MS is
afraid of these kids".  The other is a silly quibble that barely avoids
being entirely dishonest, and only by remarking on how dishonest MS is.
Two very different things, I'd say.

   [...]
>I happen to agree that people in their garages can overthrow MS.  Most Linux
>people seem to think they can do just that.  Congress and the DOJ doesn't
>seem to think that is true.

Most Linux people aren't either as insipid or as softheaded as you are,
Erik, and recognize that guys in garages can't stop illegal behavior,
while the DOJ (why is it Microsoft flunkies always bring Congress into
it?) has no intention of producing software.

From: Robert Surenko <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:45:15 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Robert Surenko wrote:

>> > You don't have to repeat the shooting...all you need to do is exhume
>> > the body.
>>
>> Your missing the point. How do we "know" that a historical event happened?
>>

> You'd never make it as a detective.

> The simple concept of forensic science is beyond you.

No, I understand perfectly. I've been disscussing the Scientific Method.

Many people claim that the only way to "know" something is the
Scientific Method. They also claim that any other way of "knowing"
is un-scientific.

So far We've identified 2 ways to "know" something. Iv'e proposed
a 3rd. Thanks for the 4th.

From: T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Another Linux "Oopsie"!
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:46:47 GMT

Said Pete Goodwin in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Mon, 19 Feb 2001 23:18:40
>T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>>>I'm referring to an apparent set of beliefs I see espoused in this
>>>group - not your specific beliefs.
>>
>>I'm pointing out that this set of beliefs is only apparent to you,
>>because you are the one making them up.
>
>I'm not making them up. Someone complains about Linux and admits to liking
>Windows - take a good look at the reaction they get. Is that making it up?

Yes, it surely is.  No amount of squirming on your part is going to
change the nature of your rhetoric; there is no "dogma", merely beliefs.
All sorts of different people believe different things; claiming that
the reason they believe it is because it is "dogma" is tantamount to
simply not having an argument.

>>Blah, blah, blah.  Just because you can squirm around doesn't mean you
>>aren't pinned to the carpet, my friend.  Perhaps you'll think a second
>>before pulling out the tired "dogma" insinuation, next time.  Perhaps
>>not.
>
>So you try to discount an argument by saying I'm squirming around, I'm
>pinned to the carpet, and you label it as "tired" insunation. Such amazing
>techniques!

No, I discount your argument by saying I'm squirming around; there's no
"try" about it.  Your silly prattling on about "dogma" is as I described
it: a tired insinuation.  Claiming your opponent is "just being
prejudiced", despite lengthy and relatively rational debate is not a
good technique for doing anything except squirming around pinned to the
carpet, for future reference.

From: "Adam Warner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Help with display properties
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 22:47:02 GMT

Hi John,

> Hi I installed redhat 6.2 on my computer and when I open let say
> properties of display the dialog box does not fit my display and I have
> move the box around to click buttons, it is 640X480.

There's little you can do about the fact that dialog boxes are too large
except for increasing the display resolution.

Type Xconfigurator at the command prompt and choose the correct monitor
specs as well as an 800x600 display mode. Most 14" monitors can do 800x600 at
72Hz although you will be able to display 800x600 at 60Hz.

I stay at 800x600 with a 14" monitor. If your monitor can do 800x600 at
72Hz then it will also be capable of 1024x768 at a 60Hz refresh rate
non-interlaced.

Regards,
Adam

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.misc
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 17:49:08 -0500

chrisv wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >Income taxes of ANY sort punish those who WORK, while letting those
> >who live off of Grandpa's trust funds (Kennedys, Rockefellers) without
> >paying a dime.  Replacing Income taxes with Sales taxes reverses
> >this situation.
>
> But then the less you earn, the HIGHER PERCENTAGE of your income goes
> to taxes.

GOOD!

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Joshua Beard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Windows guy.
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 16:51:29 -0600

ahh, yes.  but some do it more frequently.
compare Netscape in Linux crashing and Internet Explorer in Windows crashing.
I'd say the chances are pretty high that Windows will not be able to handle that.