From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Microsoft dying, was Re: Microsoft seeks government help to stop  Linux
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:30:51 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, J Sloan
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Wed, 21 Feb 2001 04:08:45 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Does anybody understand what the hell he's on about?
>
>dev null wrote:
>
>> You guys love the chicken-little thing, don't ya? Why do I think so?
>> Because you bend over, grunt, and splatter this fetid verbal equivalent
>> of a baby's diaper on usenet every couple of months or so. That's why.
>>
>> Be careful what you wish for. How will you advocate, er, I mean who are
>> you going to smear once MS and its 'lusers' are gone?

There is the possibility that Linux itself will become a monopoly [*] and
dictate the standards once Microsoft is gone; this in large part because we
as a society like to play "follow the leader" and don't look beyond the
essentials -- and the most popular right now is Linux, apart from
Microsoft.

This possibility is remote for (at least) two reasons:

[1] Any code change done to Linux will be freely available; competitors such
    as FreeBSD and even HURD, BeOS, or Apple can get at it too.
    At least, in theory.
[2] Linux itself isn't likely to dominate the desktop.  At some level,
    it doesn't really matter who runs X, and X is what most (but not all)
    users will see on the desktop -- if not Gnome or KDE sitting on top
    of X.  One could in principle run X on top of GNU HURD, or even have
    a tiny operating system which does nothing but provide the minimum
    necessary to run X, turning the PC into a basic X terminal.
    Shades of the 1980's, where dumb terminals connected into a
    then-massive central computer system, only this time the protocol
    is X instead of RS232.

    (Linux can do this, by disabling modules, preloading only the
    essential elements into the kernel, and loading only those tools,
    libraries, and scripts the X server absolutely needs.)

    There's also the wildcard in the deck: Java.

[*] to be more precise, a certain Linux distribution -- most likely,
    RedHat, but Debian, Mandrake, SuSE, and Slackware aren't dead by
    any means, and others pop up from time to time, such as Phat Linux.
    Even Caldera might still be around.

    Linux proper is already a monopoly, if one can call the
    Linux kernel market a monopoly -- and that's pretty harmless.
    Either that, or Linux isn't a company -- and it certainly isn't.

                    Hi.  I'm a signature virus.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:33:39 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Peter Hayes
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Wed, 21 Feb 2001 13:26:51 +0000
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>On Tue, 20 Feb 2001 19:56:21 -0500, Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>> Tim Hanson wrote:
>
><...>
>
>> > Alas, the battleships are no longer here.  All that's left are the Carl
>>
>> I believe that two of them have not been decommissioned yet...just
>> put back into the mothball fleet.
>>

>> > Vinson, Independence, and Ranger here, and the Abraham Lincoln in
>> > Everett.  We'll just have to struggle through with air strikes.
>> >

>> It's too bad.  Naval Artillery is a relatively cheap way to support
>> any Marines who need to establish a beachhead.
>
>Not as bad as the British Royal Navy, where the gunners are required to
>shout "BANG" on training exercises due to lack of real shells.

Wow.

I wonder if we could have used that tactic at Desert Storm.....

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- it would certainly save the military money
                    I was asleep at the switch the rest of the time.

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Windows guy.
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:36:05 +0000

In article <u4Vk6.421$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Erik Funkenbusch"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:970tqj$i83$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > "proper pipes"?
>> >
>> > The definition of a pipe is to divert the output of one program into
>> > the input of another.  Multitasking is not a part of the definition.
>>
>> Yes. Without multitasking, it can't do that properly.
>
> Perhaps you can point out a single credible definition of "pipe" that
> defines it with multitasking?

i don't need to cite anyone since I can prove my case:

program_that_never_stops[*] | head -10

Go on, try and then tell me if its `piping' works.

I can answer this for you: it won't work. You won't see the first 10 lines
of output from the program in question

Since I have just proven that piping does not always work  under single
tasking, I have proven that it needs to have multitasking to work
properly. I do not need to cite someone elses definition because I have
proven that it needs multitasking.

DOS provides an emulation that morks under many circumstances, but it is
not 100% reliable, because it breaks under situations where pipine needs
multitasking.

-Ed

[*]

Here is an example program

/* Random number generator */
#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main()
{
    while(1)
        printf("%i\n", rand());
}

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Information wants to be free, Revisited
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:38:52 -0500

Gerry wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > Where are you citing this number from?
> > >

> > Professor John Lott
> > Law and Economics Fellow,
> > University of Chicago
>
> There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. :)
>
> The US's preoccupation with guns makes me wonder why they have such a
> high crime rate if this "statistic" is true.

Every state where the restrictions on carrying concealed weapons
have been lowered, the crime rate has gone down.

Once or twice, it could be considered a coincidence.

When it happens in TWENTY DIFFERENT STATES, then the conclusions
are obvious.

> The NRA is not welcome in Canada, please stay out!

Please explain why your own POLICE are refusing to register
their handguns.

> Thank you :)
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]           http://homepage.mac.com/gbeggs/
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.GerryICQ.com/

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:39:33 -0500

Gerry wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > > How's that?
> > > Just look at this discussions about your .sig.
> >
> > You are free to discontinue this pointless thread at any time.
>
> Again, you totally missed the point.

I understand it entirely.

You're complaining about wasting bandwidth, while doing so yourself.

Go and sin no more, hypocrite.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:40:38 -0500

Gerry wrote:

> Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> Have a look for yourself:
>
> > --
> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > DNRC Minister of all I survey
> > ICQ # 3056642
> >

> > H: "Having found not one single carbon monoxide leak on the entire
> >     premises, it is my belief, and Willard concurs, that the reason
> >     you folks feel listless and disoriented is simply because
> >     you are lazy, stupid people"
> >
> > I: Loren Petrich's 2-week stubborn refusal to respond to the
> >    challenge to describe even one philosophical difference
> >    between himself and the communists demonstrates that, in fact,
> >    Loren Petrich is a COMMUNIST ***hole
> >
> > J: Other knee_jerk reactionaries: billh, david casey, redc1c4,
> >    The retarded sisters: Raunchy (rauni) and Anencephielle (Enielle),
> >    also known as old hags who've hit the wall....
> >
> > A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.
> >
> > B: Jet Silverman plays the fool and spews out nonsense as a
> >    method of sidetracking discussions which are headed in a
> >    direction that she doesn't like.
> >
> > C: Jet Silverman claims to have killfiled me.
> >
> > D: Jet Silverman now follows me from newgroup to newsgroup
> >    ...despite (C) above.
> >
> > E: Jet is not worthy of the time to compose a response until
> >    her behavior improves.
> >
> > F: Unit_4's "Kook hunt" reminds me of "Jimmy Baker's" harangues against
> >    adultery while concurrently committing adultery with Tammy Hahn.
> >
> > G:  Knackos...you're a retard.
>
> How about a compromise.
> Put the contents of your signature on a web page, and put the URL to it
> in your signature. Then you can make it as long as you want (even going
> through the whole alphabet if you like!)

Nope.  Then after every scirrilous attack, I'll have to write a
follow-up
instructing people to actually look at the web page.

I have NO interest in WASTING MY TIME in such an endeavour.

> Then anyone who cares can go read it.
> The rest of us are left without you cluttering up our newgroup messages.
>
> You can also keep track of the number of hits to your page.
> I predict the number will be near zero.
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]           http://homepage.mac.com/gbeggs/
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]       http://www.GerryICQ.com/

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:45:03 -0000

On Wed, 21 Feb 2001 14:05:54 -0600, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:970tqj$i83$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> > "proper pipes"?
>> >
>> > The definition of a pipe is to divert the output of one program into the
>> > input of another.  Multitasking is not a part of the definition.
>>
>> Yes. Without multitasking, it can't do that properly.
>
>Perhaps you can point out a single credible definition of "pipe" that
>defines it with multitasking?
>
>By credible, I mean a university, book, or other experts definition.

        Actually, any academic text on operating systems will
        extol the value of exploiting parallelism. This is what
        a "real pipe" can do that mere copies don't. They (and
        multitasking in general) allow for tasks to proceed as
        a collection of smaller tasks that may exercise different
        parts of the system simultaneously.

--

        Also while the herd mentality is certainly there, I think the
        nature of software interfaces and how they tend to interfere

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:49:05 +0000

>> No one will flame you if you disagree with them, but are very civil
>> about it.
>
> Care to discuss the quantum-dynamic behavior of charge carriers in
> semi-conductor materials?

I know .advocacy ng are known for OT discussions, but this is a real
jump. Anyway, OK, go ahead...

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox

------------------------------

From: Peter Ammon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:50:43 -0500

Aaron Kulkis wrote:

> Gerry wrote:

> > > Professor John Lott
> > > Law and Economics Fellow,
> > > University of Chicago
> >
> > There are lies, damn lies, and statistics. :)
> >
> > The US's preoccupation with guns makes me wonder why they have such a
> > high crime rate if this "statistic" is true.
>
> Every state where the restrictions on carrying concealed weapons
> have been lowered, the crime rate has gone down.

What you fail to mention is that it went down faster in the states that
did not lower the restrictions.

http://216.6.14.135/research/studies/conctruth.asp

"Between 1992 through 1998 (the last six years for which data exists),
the violent crime rate in the strict and no-issue states fell 30% while
the violent crime rate for states that liberalized carry laws prior to
1992 dropped half as much -- by 15%."

> Once or twice, it could be considered a coincidence.
>
> When it happens in TWENTY DIFFERENT STATES, then the conclusions
> are obvious.

You can't draw any conclusion from the statistics about states with
relaxed carry laws alone.  When you add a control, which in this case
means the states that did not change the laws, then you can begin to
find some answers.

-Peter

[snip gigantic sig]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Subject: Re: How much do you *NEED*?
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:51:38 -0000

On 21 Feb 2001 11:00:42 -0600, Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Masha Ku'Inanna <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> And no one is a "stupid shit" for getting the right tools for the right job.
>> Windows has its place just as Linux has its place, and they both have their
>> pros and cons over the other. It all depends on the job at hand and what
>> needs to be done.
>
>From my point of view, I'd have to admit this as well.  I have found that
>Windows Media Player has worked much better than all of the unix players I
>have tried.  In fact, a lot of the video players for Linux people have been
>raving about use Windows DLL's and a portion of the Wine source code tree.
>So, those players still use a %'age of MS's code.

        However, they still don't use the actual interface. This in
        Windows has always been rather lousy. OTOH, the use of
        Win32 DLLs in Linux players is strictly restricted to those
        formats that are closed off to just about everyone except
        Microsoft.

        Furthemore, if Linux really is using the "important part" of
        WMP then there actually should be very little difference
        between using WMP or Linux media apps.

>> Linux's license does force you to show your cards to the world, whereas the
>> BSD license does not. Under Linux, you modify the code to suit your needs,
>> but you must release the code back into the world. For BSD, you modify all
>> you like, and are not required to give that code back to the community -- in
>> fact you can patent it, and sell it as proprietary if you like. Or not.
>> Again, each one has its pros and cons.
>
>Good point.  The GPL prevents companies from incorporating the Linux kernel
>source into their own proprietary operating systems.  This is good if the
>company is "evil", like MS.  OTOH, "good" companies like Apple can embrace
>and extend BSD-licensed code as they wish for their own proprietary operating
>systems.   And this "good" company will shy away from Linux because of its
>GPL'd code.  So, FreeBSD may be a benefactor in this case, should Darwin have

        This is a a good thing.

        If they can't play nice, their attempts at embrace and extend
        will only cause harm in the long run.

>some useful features specifically designed by Apple worth incorporating into
>the FreeBSD tree.  Well, I doubt it, but it's an example.
[deletia]

        If Apple is creating improvements that they are willing to
        give away anyways, then there is no relative value in the
        BSDL. The licence distinction becomes moot.

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Open Source better be careful - The Microsoft Un-American
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 18:52:04 -0500

Edward Rosten wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron Kulkis"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> The 'electric' part of diesel electric is more coincidence than
> >> anything. When you have huge engines, at power transmission becomes a
> >> real problem. At the time, copper wires were the best way of
> >> transferring the mechanical power from the engines to the wheels.
> >> Diesel-mechanical didn't work well. IIRC, CAT developes a system a
> >> decade ago or so for tirect transfer of mechanical energy for really
> >> big vehicles.
> >
> > Wrong.  It's because with an electrical link, you can run the diesel at
> > full speed while the wheels are at a dead stop...WITHOUT having to worry
> > about wear and tear on clutch systems.
>
> Diesel cycle engines do not run most efficiently at full loads, unlike
> Otto cycle engines.

Regardless...you have the problem of GETTING THE TRAIN MOVING.

The coefficient of static friction (dead stop) is always greater than
that sliding friction (axles turning).  Once the train has been hooked
up, the guy running the train has no control over how much a load
there is to get the train moving from a dead stop.  The primary reason
for going from steam to diesel was that a single diesel-electric could
successfully pull out of a switching yard with so much weight that
even with seeral hooked together, steam engines could do no more than
literally spin their wheels without going anywhere.

Lately, I've noticed that, at least in the states, the connectors have
been changed so that when an engine moves out, there is a little bit
of "slack" in the knuckle-arm connectors, so that the full load of
the entire train doesn't have to start rolling all at once.  You hear
this BANG---BANG---BANG---BANG--.... noise...one BANG for each car
in the train as it's connection comes under tension.

I'm currently living in a neighborhood relatively near to a heavily
used freight line AND a the switching yard is only about 1 km (1/2 mile)
from the central "downtown" business district of my (suburban) city.
When I was a kid, I lived in this same area, and NEVER heard these
sorts of noises when a train pulled out....so, something tells me that
the connectors have changed.

> Also, high power mechanical transmission systems are difficult to make.
> One problem is clutching, but that is not the only problem. CAT switched
> back to mechanical drives when they figured out how to make them work
> better than a diesel electric system.
>
> Also starting electric motors from a stop is a problem in itself because
> they drain enormous currents which can strain the generators. If you
> limit the current, then you limit the current, then you limit the speed
> you can accelerate at.
>
> >> There is no reason why steam trains could not all be controlles from
> >> one cab. Poeerstations run on steam and they are automated these days.
> >
> > We're talking 1920 here.
>
> If they had to tech to control diesel engines remotely, then they had the
> tech to control steam valves remotely.
>
> --
>                                                      | u98ejr
>                                                      | @
>              Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox
>                                                      | .ac.uk

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.sys.mac.advocacy,comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 21 Feb 2001 23:52:27 +0000

> Remember the story of Robin Hood.  Robin's men were outlaws because they
> were mere commoners in posession of bows and arrows...in defiance of
> Little Johns "bow and arrow control" laws.
>
> Of course, the fact that Little John's purpose for making such laws was
> so that he could oppress the people is insignificant...right?

LOL! Robin Hood was a common thief.

-Ed

--
                                                     | u98ejr
                                                     | @
             Share, and enjoy.                       | eng.ox