From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Does anyone know how much computer power we have/
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 05:57:38 -0500

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Brent R
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Fri, 23 Feb 2001 07:16:06 GMT
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >mlw wrote:
> >>
> >> I just posted about how I have 1000 times more RAM than my first PC/XT. not
> >> mentioning my CP/M machine.
> >
> >Isn't it CB/M? Actually I think you're right.
>
> I remember it as CP/M, although I've never used it.  Emulators still
> exist, BTW.
>
> Its main claim to fame, as I recall, is that one had to login to a
> floppy disk in order to use it.  The concept has mutated, but still
> exists in Linux if one doesn't use mtools, only now it's "mounting"

"mounting" a filesystem goes all the way to the beginning of Unix.

Even if you have a one-filesystem Unix or Linux system it *MUST*
be described in /etc/fstab so that that it can be referrred to by
the "mount -a" command during boot-up, whereupon it will show up
in /etc/mtab  (table of all mounted filesystems).

> (the rationale being that a floppy is the same as a removable hard
> drive and Unix/Linux wants to be able to cache blocks before write,
> for efficiency's sake).

Correct.

Although these days, I believe that you can specify that the
floppy be a synchronous device  ( mount /dev/fd0 -o sync)

> As I recall, the original PC/XT had 4.77 MHz.  I don't know how
> many MIPS or MFLOPS -- probably not many.  (However, it still beat
> out the "Elf" microcomputer, which checked in as a blazingly fast
> 1.7897725 Mhz (half the color comb filter frequency), and had
> 8 cycles per fetch, 2 fetches per instruction.  That one might win
> a race against Charlie Babbage's Analytical Engine, but that's
> about it. :-) AFAIK, Harris still manufactures the chips -- they may
> be brain-dead by modern standards, but they're simple to wire up;
> that was the entire point of the Elf in the first place.
> But I don't expect it to run Linux anytime soon.)
>
> As another data point, the original Amiga 1000 had a 7.15909 Mhz
> clock rate (double the color comb filter frequency).  This was
> back in the mid-80's, probably 1985.
>
> Ah, history. :-)
>
> [rest snipped]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
> EAC code #191       18d:15h:45m actually running Linux.
>                     It's a conspiracy of one.

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 05:58:57 -0500

Bloody Viking wrote:

> mlw ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
>
> : I just posted about how I have 1000 times more RAM than my first PC/XT. not
> : mentioning my CP/M machine.
>
> : Lets face it: we are all running supercomputers. It is simply amazing how much
> : computer power we have?
>
> Put into that perspective, it is amazing. What's amazing is just how slow
> Microsoft OSes are. They take this "early cray" computing power and slow it to
> the point it's as slow as a Commodore 64. MS must put a lot of for-next loops
> in the code to slow it down!

One would think...but Microsoft actually achieves this low-level
of performance through high-school mentality spaghetti code and
good old across-the-board incompetance.

> --
> FOOD FOR THOUGHT: 100 calories are used up in the course of a mile run.
> The USDA guidelines for dietary fibre is equal to one ounce of sawdust.
> The liver makes the vast majority of the cholesterol in your bloodstream.

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Where is suse 7.1?
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 11:58:25 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Tim Hanson"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Mart van de Wege wrote:
<snip some stuff>
>> YahDu (Yet another happy Debian user)
>
> One of the joys of SuSE is going into yast after an install /
> update and picking through the new stuff, or things I'd like to
> try, or the things I thought I was going to try but didn't have
> the time, and the rest.  I've been known to piddle away entire
> weekends installing a package, shifting to another virtual to
> try it out, then going to the next package.  It really is
> delicious fun.
>
> Noting your .sig, I just freed up a spare computer, hooked it
> up to the LAN, and installed Debian via ftp (I love broadband
> :)).  So far I've got a command prompt and LILO.  I'm
> determined to get this thing off the ground.  One of the
> helpfuls is that I have SuSE still running, so I can read
> online documentation as I work with it.

So how do you like Debian so far? I hope the evils of dselect
didn't turn you off?
BTW I just replaced the sig. It's now updated every 5 minutes
using a fortune command in my crontab (fooling around learning
cron).

Mart
--
Snacktrek, n.:
        The peculiar habit, when searching for a snack, of constantly

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 06:12:47 -0500

Donn Miller wrote:

> Mike wrote:
>
> > What's next? More transistors. More power. More speed. At this year's ISSCC,
> > Patrick Gelsinger predicted that the processor of 2010 will contain 1B
> > transistors, run at 20-30GHz, and perform over 1T operations per second (it
> > will also consume in excess of 10kW of power).
>
> And they thought 68,000 transistors were a lot (don't know when this
> was, but it was when the MC68000 was first designed).  Yes, the MC 68000
> is named for the number of transistors it contains!  I believe this

Wrong.

Ever notice how all Intel designs begin with "80" and all Motorola
designs begin with "68"

These numbers were assigned within the industry to prevent confusion
for electrical engineers.  By merely looking at the first two digits
of a chip, you can tell which manufacturer is the "authoritative
source" for the logical function of any chip.

65 - Mostek
68 - Motorola
74 - Fairchild
80 - Intel

Anyways, Motorola has a family of 8-bit processors:
6800, 6801, 6809, and 68HC11*

Do distinguish the 16-bit CPUs from the 8-bit ones, they
added another diget, hence, the new line was:

680x0

(*) HC = High-speed CMOS
In the same way as different technology families of 7400-family "glue
logic" chips have the technology specifier embedded after the original
family designer's number  Hence 7400 has cousins like 74S00 (Schottkey
circuit), 74LS00 (Low-powered Schottkey), 74C00 (CMOS), 74HC00
(Hi-speed CMOS), etc)

> processor could address 16M of RAM; correct me if I'm wrong.  I read a
> book (c. 1983) written about the MC68k, and it considered addressing 16M
> of RAM a whopping amount of memory, "more than enoough to run most
> applications".  Indeed, that must've been an incredible amount back in
> the day.

At that time, that was true.

In 1983, the "standard unit" of computing at the university/research
lab level was a VAX-11, running at 1 MHz with 1 MB of memory, typically
shared by 10-20 people with a multi-user operating system (Unix or VMS).

16M devoted to one processor was HUGE at the time the 68000 hit the market
(around 1981).

> Ironically, the MC68000 is still used for a lot of embedded
> applications, which goes to show you that old technologies never become

I've seen it (or later 680x0's) buried within a lot of peripheral cards,
late 80's disk drives, etc.

> obsolete:  they just find new uses.  Hmmm...  I wonder if Microsoft
> believes this?

> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Shane Phelps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SSH vulnerabilities - still waiting [ was Interesting article ]
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 22:18:22 +1100

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

[ snip ]

Come on gents, let's stop bothering the nice people on css now that this
thread has strayed way off-topic.

They were nice enough to give Chad a Black Knight job, so let's not
bother them any more.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 06:17:34 -0500

Peter Hayes wrote:

> On Fri, 23 Feb 2001 12:20:01 -0500, Donn Miller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Ironically, the MC68000 is still used for a lot of embedded
> > applications, which goes to show you that old technologies never become
> > obsolete:  they just find new uses.  Hmmm...  I wonder if Microsoft
> > believes this?
>
> I believe the Z80 still sells in embedded systems in vast quantities.

the 8080/8085/Z80 and other familes of 8-bit processors are more
than adequate for the typical microwave.

However, lately, those have been pretty much taken over by the
Motorola 68HC11 series and the Intel 8051, and similar "computer
on a chip" (CPU + ROM + read/write memory + serial I/O port(s) +
parallel I/O port(s) all on one chip).

> Peter

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "-hs-" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.lang.c
Subject: Re: Something Seemingly Simple.
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 12:15:58 +0100

Bloody Viking a écrit dans le message <977aaj$hfp$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...

>I just tried a simple trig thing on my Linux box but the gcc compiler gave
me
>some error, despite having math.h added as the libraries. More bizarre, my
>UNIX ISP had exactly the same problem with the same seemingly simple
proggie.

>I'm fully sure it's a stupid=shit problem on my part. Here's the code:
>
>---begin---
>@include <stdio.h>
>@include <math.h>

Nice one. What about # instead?

>float angle, hypoteneuse, output;

Why file scope?

>main()

int main()

>{
>printf("input the angle");
>scanf("%f", &angle);
type "twenty" and see what happens

>printf("input the hypoteneuse");
>scanf("%f", &hypoteneuse);
>output = cos(angle);
>printf("%f\n", output);

   return 0;
>}
>---end code---

Works fine (probaly the -lm problem. It's a FAOTQ, at last on CLC)

What about that:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <math.h>
#include <errno.h>

static double get_double(char const *const sprompt)
/* could be enhanced by a status return:
 * static int get_double(char const *const sprompt, double *presult)
 */
{
#define FUNCTION "get_double"
double result;
   char s[BUFSIZ];

   printf ("%s: ", sprompt);
   fflush (stdout);
   fgets (s, sizeof s, stdin);

   {
      char *p;
      result = strtod (s, &p);

      if (p == s)
      {
         fprintf(stderr, FUNCTION": Input error\n");
      }

      if (errno)
      {
         perror(FUNCTION);
      }
   }

   return result;
#undef FUNCTION
}

int main (void)
{
   double const angle = get_double ("input the angle");
   double const hypoteneuse = get_double ("input the hypoteneuse");
   double output;

   output = cos (angle);
   printf ("%f\n", output);

   return 0;
}

--
-hs-    Tabs out, spaces in.
ISO-C Library: http://www.dinkum.com/htm_cl

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kulkis the newbie, its official!
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 06:25:38 -0500

woof wrote:

> I was on Irc #linux channel when Kulkis comes in and asks how do list
> files in his directory!
>
> Kulkis: Hello everyone, can someone help me? how do i list files in my
> directory? I dont know anything about Linux as im as thick as pig shit
> Please help, i feel lonely

Strange....I've been using Unix since before IRC was even invented.

See "L" below.

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Competition: How many punches could Kulkis take?
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 06:26:26 -0500

woof wrote:

> Roll up roll up!
> Here is the competition of the week!
> How many times do you think you could punch Kulkis hard in the head
> before he falls over?

Why don't you come to my house and see if you can find out.

Be careful though, I'll probably blow your head off with a .45 cal pistol.

> My guess: 2
> Once to know the attitude out of him then a second to make him fall over
>
> Any body else?
>
> Woof
> The artist formerly known as Meow

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kulkis haters club seeking new members
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 06:27:30 -0500

woof wrote:

> If anyone would like to join the kulkis haters club then add you name
> and email to the end of the list
> membership includes a free kulkis voodoo doll with extra sharp pin and
> some mail bombing software already preloaded with kulkis email address
> The first 10 members also get his home address too and a parcel bomb kit
> to send him
>
> Join up now!
> Add your name to the end of this list..
>
>         Woof - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>         Meow - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
         ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

As surmised by someone else, yes, two sock-puppets.

see "L" below.

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Aaron Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Kulis revelation!
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 06:28:27 -0500

mmnnoo wrote:

> The only way Kulkis' reputation will suffer from your babbling is if we
> find out that he and you are one and the same.

I may be stupid at times...but never as stupid as woof/woofbert/meow.

L: "meow" is yet another anonymous coward who does nothing
   but write stupid nonsense about his intellectual superiors.

K: Truth in advertising:
        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

From: Shane Phelps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RTFM at M$
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2001 22:32:49 +1100