From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Entry-level *ix positions??
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 18:55:54 -0400

Bob Hauck wrote:

> On Saturday 07 April 2001 00:32, Chad Everett
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > The point is that all this is doable and reading news logged into a
> > home server is prefectly comfortable with a dial-in connection to
> > a home system that has a link to a newsserver.
>
> Sure, it is all doable.  But Aaron isn't doing it.

And your proof is

> > To help make my point: I have added the additional header lines that
> > you have included in your post.
>
> I usually use slrn too (I'm trying out KNode today) and a while back I
> did the same trick.  I made mine say something about Aaron.  Trivial,
> really.  I can't think of a good reason to do this for "security"
> though, as Aaron claims.  Even the entertainment value wears off fast.

Bob, on my command....

        JUMP!

> --
>  -| Bob Hauck
>  -| To Whom You Are Speaking
>  -| http://www.haucks.org/

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

Subject: Re: MS and ISP's
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Allen)
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 23:01:03 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
667 Neighbor of the Beast  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Bob Hauck wrote:
>>
>> On Fri, 6 Apr 2001 23:54:52 -0400, JS PL <jspl@jsplom> wrote:
>> >"667 Neighbor of the Beast" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> > But suppose microsoft actually did give away their OS and server software,
>> > SO WHAT!! Who's business is it?
>>
>> There are laws on the books against "dumping" in order to drive your
>> competition out of business.  Which was exactly what MS was trying to do
>> to Netscape.
>>
>Yes not only that but it is totally illegal to offer SW for free or at
>steep discount if you promise to, say, convert 75% of your users to
>IE, if you promise to only support IE, if you promise to put
>IE-specific stuff on your web page, etc.  That is an exclusive
>agreement, and they are all illegal.

    Not all exclusive agreements are illegal according to the Courts.

    Such agreements often encourage competition to pop up to offer
    alternatives.  This is normal and to be anticipated eagerly.

    The agreements are illegal when used by a monopoly holder to
    strengthen or extend that monopoly.  Both of which MS did with their
    agreements.

    There are no hard numbers beneath which a monopoly cannot exist and
    must be exceeded to guarantee monopoly.  Actions, like exclusive
    contracts, which can be legal for non monopolies may be deemed anti-
    competitive when done by a monopoly holder.

    MS is using copyright laws to declare that they have a legally
    granted monopoly because no other company is allowed, by law, to
    produce their own version of Windows.

    When they negotiated those agreements while knowing that they had
    a monopoly, government granted or not, they were acting anti-
    competitively.

    That is, according to the Sherman Act, a felony.

--
   Linux -- The Unix defragmentation tool.

------------------------------

From: Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Dave Cutlers Art
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 00:04:31 +0100

On 05 Apr 2001 15:11:04 -0600, Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Peter Hayes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
> > On Mon, 26 Mar 2001 19:20:26 -0800, "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > In article
> > > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,

> > > This is one very disturbed individual.  Distinctly reminiscent of inmate
> > > art as a therapeutic.  Hopefully this wacko is behind bars where he can't
> > > hurt anybody.
> >
> > Pythonesque.
>
> No, he wrote the operating system formerlly-known-as-NT.  Guido wrote
> Python.  :)

Very droll... :)

Peter

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Undeniable proof that Aaron R. Kulkis is a hypocrite, and a luser...
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 19:06:01 -0400

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Stephen S. Edwards II
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on 5 Apr 2001 15:14:31 GMT
> <9ai24n$4nd$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >
> >: "Stephen S. Edwards II" wrote:
> >
> >: > Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> >: >
> >: > : Charles Lyttle wrote:
> >: >
> >: > : > "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> >: > : >> How else do you explain a quick, nimble fighter jet colliding with
> >: > : >> a slow, lumbering patrol plane in clear weather.
> >
> >: > : > The patrol plane cheated. It had 4 engines with propellers.
> >: > : > Mao proved that such a thing couldn't fly.
>
> (Side note: I could see Mao proving that he couldn't fly
> such a thing... :-) )
>

> >: > : No, not really.
> >: > : The Chinese plane used Aaron´s self written
> >: > : multiuser/multitasking system
> >: >
> >: > You mean, Aaron's operating system that uses his
> >: > PatentedHighlyTechnicalThingies(tm) in it?  Yeah,
> >: > that's one sweet operating system.  My favorite
> >: > feature is the high-end stuff that it has in it.
> >: >
> >: > Of course, in the spirit of Kulkan logic, I'm
> >: > using words like "thingies" and "stuff", because
> >: > they are things that I know that I know about, and
> >: > I don't care to discuss them, because that would
> >: > be childish.  Oh, and I fought the Japanese Empire
> >: > in WWII as well.  Piloted a P-51 Mustang, I did.
> >: >
> >: > </SARCASM>
> >: >
> >: > Anyone who knows about Kulkan logic should find
> >: > this at least mildly amusing.
> >
> >: Awwwwwww, poow widdle windows wuser.....
> >
> >Explain this entry from your header:

> >                                                   ^^^^^
>
> Anyone with lots of patience can do the following:
>
> telnet your.favorite.news.server.here nntp
>
> (or 119 if /etc/services is munged, unavailable, or one is using
> a non-Unix operating system)
>
> and then issue commands in accordance with RFC977.  Note in
> particular that X-*: headers are NOT in the spec, just a convention
> adopted by a number of emailers.  (At least, that's my recollection.)
> One of those commands is in fact 'POST'.  As long as the
> message is in accordance with RFC822, the newsspool will most
> likely accept it, permissions, newsgroups, etc. permitting.
> It's not hard, just remember the dot.  :-)  (At the end, that is.)

We did something like this at Purdue.... telnetting directly to
the smtp port.

Heh.

> I could very probably post with something like

> using that method.
>
> Now who would care?
>
> (Side point: One can also telnet into IRC servers using similar
> methods.  That takes even more patience, but that also can be done. :-) )
>
> >Are you going to stick to the claim that this
> >is a "forgery" to fool others?  I challenge
> >you to prove this is so, by posting the
> >portion of the already publicly-available source
> >code for Mozilla which you have modified to do this.
> >Put up, or shut up, soldier boy.
>
> I don't think he's actually using Mozilla; he's using a
> modified SLRN, if memory serves.  Personally, I'm not
> sure it's worth the trouble; security through obscurity
> does not work in the cryptographic field and it's unclear
> it would work elsewhere, either -- a hacker with access
> to sufficient knowledge would probably just try everything
> to get into a system.  :-)
>
> [rest snipped]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
> EAC code #191       1d:20h:29m actually running Linux.
>                     This is the best part of the message.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 19:06:41 -0400

> [...]
>
> I could very probably post with something like

> using that method.
>
> Now who would care?
>
> (Side point: One can also telnet into IRC servers using similar
> methods.  That takes even more patience, but that also can be done. :-) )
>
> >Are you going to stick to the claim that this
> >is a "forgery" to fool others?  I challenge
> >you to prove this is so, by posting the
> >portion of the already publicly-available source
> >code for Mozilla which you have modified to do this.
> >Put up, or shut up, soldier boy.
>
> I don't think he's actually using Mozilla; he's using a
> modified SLRN, if memory serves.  Personally, I'm not
> sure it's worth the trouble; security through obscurity
> does not work in the cryptographic field and it's unclear
> it would work elsewhere, either -- a hacker with access
> to sufficient knowledge would probably just try everything

Ask the military about camoflauge, and get back to us :-)

> [rest snipped]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
> EAC code #191       1d:20h:29m actually running Linux.
>                     This is the best part of the message.

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 19:07:05 -0400

Chad Myers wrote:

> "The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Stephen S. Edwards II
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >  wrote
> > on 5 Apr 2001 15:14:31 GMT
> > <9ai24n$4nd$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > >Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > >
> > >: "Stephen S. Edwards II" wrote:
> > >
> > >: > Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > >: >
> > >: > : Charles Lyttle wrote:
> > >: >
> > >: > : > "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> > >
> > >: > : >> How else do you explain a quick, nimble fighter jet colliding with
> > >: > : >> a slow, lumbering patrol plane in clear weather.
> > >
> > >: > : > The patrol plane cheated. It had 4 engines with propellers.
> > >: > : > Mao proved that such a thing couldn't fly.
> >
> > (Side note: I could see Mao proving that he couldn't fly
> > such a thing... :-) )
> >

> > >: > : No, not really.
> > >: > : The Chinese plane used Aaron´s self written
> > >: > : multiuser/multitasking system
> > >: >
> > >: > You mean, Aaron's operating system that uses his
> > >: > PatentedHighlyTechnicalThingies(tm) in it?  Yeah,
> > >: > that's one sweet operating system.  My favorite
> > >: > feature is the high-end stuff that it has in it.
> > >: >
> > >: > Of course, in the spirit of Kulkan logic, I'm
> > >: > using words like "thingies" and "stuff", because
> > >: > they are things that I know that I know about, and
> > >: > I don't care to discuss them, because that would
> > >: > be childish.  Oh, and I fought the Japanese Empire
> > >: > in WWII as well.  Piloted a P-51 Mustang, I did.
> > >: >
> > >: > </SARCASM>
> > >: >
> > >: > Anyone who knows about Kulkan logic should find
> > >: > this at least mildly amusing.
> > >
> > >: Awwwwwww, poow widdle windows wuser.....
> > >
> > >Explain this entry from your header:

> > >                                                   ^^^^^
> >
> > Anyone with lots of patience can do the following:
> >
> > telnet your.favorite.news.server.here nntp
> >
> > (or 119 if /etc/services is munged, unavailable, or one is using
> > a non-Unix operating system)
>
> (this works on Windows)
>
> > and then issue commands in accordance with RFC977.  Note in
> > particular that X-*: headers are NOT in the spec, just a convention
> > adopted by a number of emailers.  (At least, that's my recollection.)
> > One of those commands is in fact 'POST'.  As long as the
> > message is in accordance with RFC822, the newsspool will most
> > likely accept it, permissions, newsgroups, etc. permitting.
> > It's not hard, just remember the dot.  :-)  (At the end, that is.)
> >
> > I could very probably post with something like

> > using that method.
>
> But one would have to be masochistic.
>
> Besides, does anyone think Aaron is capable of this?

Considering that I've been programming in C since 1985....

> > Now who would care?
>
> <rest snipped>
>
> -c

        Left Wing Extremists Charles Schumer and Donna Shelala,
        Black Seperatist Anti-Semite Louis Farrakan,

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.