Linux-Advocacy Digest #502, Volume #33           Wed, 11 Apr 01 08:13:02 EDT

Contents:
  Re: another example of why Linux is brain dead. (jkorbb@invalid)
  Re: So much for modules in Linux! (pete_answers@x)
  Re: another example of why Linux is brain dead. (Karel Jansens)
  Re: Windows in space...... (Karel Jansens)
  Re: another example of why Linux is brain dead. (Ian Davey)
  Re: Has Linux anything to offer ? (roger$@a)
  Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor (Kenny Chaffin)
  Re: Basement Boy: Aka Aaron Koookis (Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?=)
  Re: MS and ISP's ("InBiz")
  Re: another example of why Linux is brain dead. (Terry Porter)
  Re: Basement Boy: Aka Aaron Koookis (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: Basement Boy: Aka Aaron Koookis (Chris Ahlstrom)
  Re: Undeniable proof that Aaron R. Kulkis is a hypocrite, and a ("Jan Johanson")
  Re: Undeniable proof that Aaron R. Kulkis is a hypocrite, and a ("Jan Johanson")
  Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor (Roberto Selbach
Teixeira)
  Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor (Simon Brooke)

From: jkorbb@invalid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: another example of why Linux is brain dead.
Date: 11 Apr 2001 01:55:37 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Jarko says...

>I configure the linux kernel to understand ISO9660 and enable
>SCSI-support, then connect the devices and boot it up.

I think the point was on windows the user did not have to configure
the OS to enable CD operations and to tell the OS what to do, while
on Linux the user had to do that.

I do not think my grandma would have a clue what you are talking about,
yet she uses the PC each day including the CD. I would not expect her
to compile the kernel to get something like this working.

On windows, things just work out of the box. That is the point.

------------------------------

From: pete_answers@x <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: So much for modules in Linux!
Date: 11 Apr 2001 02:02:03 -0700

In article <WUSA6.6598$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Pete says...

>What happens if I install Windows? I have to install device drivers for
>these network cards. Then I set up one as DHCP, one as a fixed address.
>Then it just works. Funny that, isn't it. If I want something that just
>works, use Windows. If I want something that almost works (but requires
>more investigation) then use Linux.

hehe. You just found that out now??

The other day I spend 2 hours fighting with netscape on linux and
solaris machine trying to get it to play TV news video on ABC or Yahoo,
it kept telling my it needs a plugin, I download the dam thing, install
everything, follow instructions, even reboot, yet, nothing play. No movies
show up. I reboot windows, and click and here it is, the movie just plays.

I really have no idea what people see in all these Unix variations
of operating systems. They are good for servers, in the back room
for geek to use. The rest of the world uses windows becuase it juts
works!

------------------------------

From: Karel Jansens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 00:31:33 +0000

GreyCloud wrote:

> Karel Jansens wrote:
> >

> > We really, _really_ need a linux anthem. This posts positively begs to
> > be concluded with it.
> >
> > Thanks.
> >

> Maybe the Tux logo can be changed to show Tux with an outstreched wing
> (?).
> Saying "Let us help you make the transition to Linux". Or something to
> that effect.

To avoid confusion: I was not being sarcastic, I really think Pip's post
is a fine example of good advocacy.

And IMHO the mere idea of linux clashes violently with any outstretched
appendages (well... _most_ outstretched appendages).

"Alle Menschen werden Brueder", would be a good linux anthem, if it
hadn't been snatched already.

That, or the Birdie Song.

--
Regards,

Karel Jansens
"You're the weakest link. Goodb-No, wait! Stop! Noaaarrghh!!!"

From: Karel Jansens <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows in space......
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 00:35:27 +0000

Roy Culley wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>         [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett) writes:
> > On Mon, 9 Apr 2001 10:31:53 -0400, Patrick McAllister <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >>Probably a duplicate post, but if not, makes for a funny....kinda.....read.
> >>
> >>http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,42912,00.html
> >
> > This is worth a short quote, don't you think?:
> >
> > 2:00 a.m. Apr. 7, 2001 PDT
> >
> > The space station, which has been operational for less than five
> > months, experiences almost daily computer glitches, according to
> > the commander's log recently published on the Web.
> >
> > Most of the problems appear to be related to Microsoft's Windows NT,
> > while Russian-made software seems to be more reliable.
>
> Did Microsoft ever state that their SW would function in micro-gravity
> conditions? :-)

Isn't there a fixpack for that?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ian Davey)
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:03:19 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, jkorbb@invalid <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>I think the point was on windows the user did not have to configure
>the OS to enable CD operations and to tell the OS what to do, while
>on Linux the user had to do that.
>
>I do not think my grandma would have a clue what you are talking about,
>yet she uses the PC each day including the CD. I would not expect her
>to compile the kernel to get something like this working.
>
>On windows, things just work out of the box. That is the point.

And if you bought a machine with Linux pre-installed then so would Linux. I can't see
many grandmothers installing a CD drive*.

ian.
* though I know a few who are either hardcore programmers or know hardware
inside out, but they wouldn't have any problems anyway.

 \ /
(@_@)  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/ (dark literature)
/(&)\  http://www.eclipse.co.uk/sweetdespise/libertycaptions/ (art)
 | |

------------------------------

From: roger$@a <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Has Linux anything to offer ?
Date: 11 Apr 2001 02:47:25 -0700

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
GreyCloud says...

>Not anymore. Modules allows one to add changes to the kernel without
>rebooting.
>CD-RW is now part of the more popular distros.  The kernel hacking is
>never needed with these devices... it was something done a few years
>ago.  Time changes things.

Wrong.

get SUSE 7.1, just released. with kernel 2.4 no less. You will find you
need to hack the kernel for this.

Trying to make up things will not make it true.

>> 6. Printing on Linux is broke. On widnows, setting up a printer requires
>> no hacks as on linux. It just works.
>>

>Printing is easy.  I find that my Epson printer works better under linux
>than it ever has under windows.

How could a printer work better on any OS than another? The printer is
a printer.

On window, printer managemnt is consitant and works the same. From any
application I can access the same printer management interface. I can
locate a printer anywhere on the network and by a simple click I have
access to it.

Linux is years behind windows when it comes to printing.

>I've never had a problem with different window managers.

Who care if YOU did not have a problem? The point is the users want to
see one well managed consistant desktop that work the same way. Not
20 ones and a new one each month.

>> PERL, python, PHP all exist on windows.

>You have to either buy or download these for windows. These are already
>pre-configured under linux.

Wrong again. They are free. downloading is not a problem. people download
many things each day.

>> There is no commerical DVD player for linux. What is there is
>> mostly hacks that does not support half of what a commercial
>> DVD players on widnows support.
>>

>I would refute the DVD argument.  Things change over time.  I believe
>that the current version of Suse and RedHat now have DVD built in.

You are confusing mpeg-1 with mpeg-2.

There is NO commerical DVD player for Linux. Go to your fry's electronics
and tell me a name of ONE DVD player for linux. Actually go to anywhere
in the web, and tell me where I can buy a DVD player for Linux.

regards,
Roger

------------------------------

From: Kenny Chaffin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
24hoursupport.helpdesk,alt.comp.shareware.programmer,comp.editors,comp.lang.java.help,comp.lang.java.programmer,comp.lang.java.softwaretools,comp.os.linux.development.system
Subject: Re: Need your recommendation for a full-featured text editor
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 04:53:04 -0600

In article <GJOA6.1614$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Kenny Chaffin wrote:
>
> >> I miss those old ADM terminals.
> >
> >But did you build your's from a kit?
>
> When I was in college, we had a bunch of ADM3's built from
> kits.  These were the pre-microprocessor days: a single 40-pin
> DIP for the UART and 1.5 square feet of solid 7400 TTL logic.
> All socketed dips.  After a few months the sockets started
> going bad, so they sucked all the sockets out and soldered the
> DIPs to the boards.

Yep, that's the one! <grin>

Mine would fritz out every few days and I'd have to reseat the chips til
it worked again -- ah, the good ol' days!

KAC
--
Kenny A. Chaffin
KAC Website Design - http://www.kacweb.com

------------------------------

From: Peter =?ISO-8859-1?Q?K=F6hlmann?= <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Basement Boy: Aka Aaron Koookis
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 12:51:56 +0200

So Aaron as "Unix administrator" does not know that his "camouflage"
simply is BS, because it won´t fool anything. If someone would want to
attack his system, that one wouldn´t even see this "faked" header. That
guy would simply run the normal hackers toolkit, which would detect the
system. So the "security reasons" are for dumbasses alone, no one with
half a brain would use such measures to improve security.

I simply do not believe this stuff. Aaron is using Wintendo, perhaps
behind a linux-machine. I don´t care, that guy is simply lying and a
right wing dumbass. He should shake his head more often to rub his
two braincells more, perhaps that will help. Then he could even find
out how to trim that insane Sig.

Aaron, no need to answer yourself. You´re still killfiled.

Peter

--
Stop repeating yourself. Try something original - like suicide

------------------------------

From: "InBiz" <sl@theplanetdotorg>
Subject: Re: MS and ISP's
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 07:00:33 -0400

> Said Chad Myers in alt.destroy.microsoft on Tue, 10 Apr 2001 02:54:57
>    [...]
> >The only thing Microsoft has a monopoly on, it seems, is the brain
> >power, the succesful management, and the competency to create a
world-class
> >OS in a corporate environment WHILE making money at the same time.
>
> You know, if it weren't patently obvious to computer professionals that
> this "world-class OS' is an unreliable piece of crap, you might have a
> point there, Chad.  As it stands, though, it kind of blows your theory,
> big time.

And the fact that you, in all your supposed "professionalism" are only able
to use Windows 98 speaks volumes about your credibility.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 11 Apr 2001 11:03:37 GMT

On 8 Apr 2001 23:03:28 -0700, mat@cd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Matthew says...
>>
>>Why didn't you ask for help?
>
> maybe becuase using a CDROM should not require one to ask for
> help and read documentations? (assuming one is using windows).
>

>>I read the documentation, and actually follow the instructions, and voila, I
>>have
>>a working CD-Writer. So get over it, and grow up.
>
> You HAD to read documentations and FOLLOW instructions to use a CDwriter
> and a CDROM??
>
> It is true what they say, linux is free for people whose time is worthless.
>
> /mat

Interesting how the original poster (kirk@do_not)with a obv fake id, posts from
p-664.newsdawg.com as do you, mat@cd.

I'm seeing shades of :-

"Steve,Mike,Heather,Simon,teknite,keymaster,keys88,Sewer Rat,
S,Sponge,Sarek,piddy,McSwain,pickle_pete,Ishmeal_hafizi,Amy,
Simon777,Flatfish+++"

here, my what a supprise. Same old techniques, same old language.
Welcome back ... Wintroll.

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:29:25 GMT

Donn Miller wrote:

> Like I said, if he is running Netscape, I don't think you can change the ID
> string in the headers.  I think Netscape has some OS-identification code
> hard-coded in the executable.

Given access to the source code, which is a given, you need only change
a few lines of code and recompile.  I don't understand why even the
UNIX guys are having trouble with this concept.

Chris

--
This application has crashed unexpectedly.
Hit OK to terminate, or Cancel to debug it.

Doh!

------------------------------

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:31:28 GMT

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> What I will tell you is that I'm *NOT* running Windows, and I'm *NOT*
> running Netscape.
>
> hope that helps.

Ah, he's modifying a different set of source code.

From: "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Undeniable proof that Aaron R. Kulkis is a hypocrite, and a
Date: 11 Apr 2001 06:48:03 -0500

"Chris Ahlstrom" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Jan Johanson wrote:
> >
> > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > ALL newsreader software that has an ID string has it embedded
> > > within the source code.  It's a simple matter or editing it with
> > > vi and running make to disguise both the newsreader and the OS.
> > >
> > > And since on Linux...you have the source code....
> > >
> > > Well, I'll leave the rest as an exercise for the reader.
> > >

> > Hey fuck head - yea you, dildo breath.

on
> > a Mac instead.
> > Should be effortless for a l33t programmer like yourself.
> >
> > If you can do that I'll believe a tiny fraction of what you say.
> > If you cannot or will not that you are a fucking liar and we've all
known it
> > forever.
>
> JJ, go to ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/source/
> and download one of the tar.gz files yourself.
> Oh, you might not know how to unpack it, so go ahead
> and download the ZIP version instead.
>
> It unpacks to only about 22 Mb of code and text, so you should
> find it effortless to track down what you're looking for, JJ.
>
> Chris

Chris - I know I can do it - but I do not believe kulkis did or could.

------------------------------

From: "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 11 Apr 2001 06:49:04 -0500

> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
> >
> > Jan Johanson wrote:
> > >
> > > "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Hey fuck head - yea you, dildo breath.

posting on
> > > a Mac instead.
> > > Should be effortless for a l33t programmer like yourself.
> > >
> > > If you can do that I'll believe a tiny fraction of what you say.
> > > If you cannot or will not that you are a fucking liar and we've all
known it
> > > forever.
> >
> > JJ, go to ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla/source/
> > and download one of the tar.gz files yourself.
> > Oh, you might not know how to unpack it, so go ahead
> > and download the ZIP version instead.
> >
> > It unpacks to only about 22 Mb of code and text, so you should
> > find it effortless to track down what you're looking for, JJ.
>
> Grep is your friend.

And I see you failed to do as I challenged. You are a liar.

------------------------------

From: Roberto Selbach Teixeira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: 11 Apr 2001 08:50:56 -0300

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Roberto Selbach Teixeira wrote:

>> > vim does.
>> >

>> And it sucks too! The obvious choice is (and always will be) FSF
>> Emacs!
>
> Emacs is a bloated hog...and it's not universally installed...and
> where it is installed, which version is it?  Is it *really* emacs,
> or is it jove? or temacs? or ????

Bloated hog? As someone mentioned once, Emacs takes what today's
equivalent to what? 10 cents of disk space? For these 10 cents you get
a full featured editor (that's what the guy asked about, wasn't it?),
a web browser, email client, usenet client, ftp, scheduler, calculator
and a lot (*A LOT*) more.

> If you do work on a LOT of systems, especially for a large number
> of companies, on site...then trying to survive solely on emacs will
> kill you.
>
> vi is universally installed, and unchanging.

Windows is universally installed and unchanging. This means it is the
best OS available, right? NOO.

--
Roberto Selbach Teixeira                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Conectiva, S.A.                            http://www.conectiva.com

May Emacs enlighten the lives of more and more unbelievers.

------------------------------

From: Simon Brooke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 11:57:29 GMT

on Tuesday 10 April 2001 19:09, Dan Miller wrote:

> The vim variant supports syntax hiliting, but it's awkward to
> configure, and transferring your configurations (especially custom
> color pallettes) to other machines requires much more than just
> copying .vimrc (unfortunately). I use the syntax hiliting on my main
> linux development machine, but on all
> the other machines I just use default settings.  I know I can just set
> some environment variables, but that hasn't worked consistently from
> machine to machine.
>
> OTOH, when I do serious development, I telnet the files to my Windows
> machine and use a real editor!!

Yoiu *what*? There aren't any good editors available for Windows,
appart from XEmacs, which runs better on Linux anyway.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
        "The result is a language that... not even its mother could

------------------------------

From: Roberto Selbach Teixeira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: 11 Apr 2001 08:56:33 -0300

On 10 Apr 2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>   Randall> On Tue, 10 Apr 2001 07:16:20 GMT esteemed Thore
>   Randall> B. Karlsen did'st hold forth thusly:
>   >> Sure, Emacs is configurable, but only with a lot of work. And
>   >> even then it might not be the right editor for you, so it's not
>   >> the right answer for everyone.
>
>   Randall> The reason I've never tried Emacs is that some of the
>   Randall> people who have claim that it is hard to configure. Then
>   Randall> you find people who say it is easy to configure but one
>   Randall> has no way of knowing how long they've used it and how
>   Randall> long it took them to get to the point where they'd call
>   Randall> it easy.
>
>   Randall> I want to install an editor, go to a menu pop-down that
>   Randall> is labelled something like "Key Mappings" and then get a
>   Randall> dialog box that has radio buttons or a combo box that
>   Randall> lets me select from a half dozen popular key mappings
>   Randall> (vi, Brief, CUA, etc). If it requires downloading
>   Randall> separate Lisp scripts and trying to understand the guts
>   Randall> of hacked up Lisp macros to get it to work right then I'm
>   Randall> really not interested.
>

>         The thing with emacs is that there is little difference
> between "configuring" and "programming" it. Its possible therefore
> to configure it to an arbitrary degree of complexity.

This is not true. You do not have to know anything about elisp (the
language used on emacs) to configure it. All you have to do is either
using the minibuffer and type "Alt-x customize ENTER" (or M-x
customize RET, as we Emacsers say it) or going to the menu
Options->Customize Emacs. No programming required. All you will have
to do is click buttons.

>         If you want to "configure" emacs so that for instance as
>         well as being an editor it can also parse Java source,
>         provide method completion, auto Javadoc look up and so forth
>         then its actually fairly hard and will take a lot of
>         work. But you can do it. Fortunately for me some has done
>         it, and this is available for others to use
>         (http://jde.sunsite.dk).
>
>         If you want to pretty GUI dialog boxes then emacs does not
> do this (although xemacs, and the newer version of emacs does). It
> does have a text based configuration system (xemacs, and the newer
> version of emacs use toolkit widgets if they are available).

That is right. So how can you say that customizing emacs is not very
different than programming it?

>         So you have the options there. The reason that many people
> use lisp to configure (myself included) is that they want to perform
> complex configuration. Emacs does now provide click and point
> options which is good. But something like the command line I'm glad
> that the lisp is still there for when I want it.

And all of a sudden I realize that you are on my side after all :-)

Configuring VI is much more difficult than configuring Emacs, nowadays.

From: Roberto Selbach Teixeira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: 11 Apr 2001 08:59:15 -0300

On Tue, 10 Apr 2001, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> The vim variant supports syntax hiliting, but it's awkward to
> configure, and transferring your configurations (especially custom
> color pallettes) to other machines requires much more than just
> copying .vimrc (unfortunately).  I use the syntax hiliting on my
> main linux development machine, but on all the other machines I just
> use default settings.  I know I can just set some environment
> variables, but that hasn't worked consistently from machine to
> machine.
>
> OTOH, when I do serious development, I telnet the files to my
> Windows machine and use a real editor!!

Emacs for Windows?

From: Simon Brooke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2001 12:05:04 GMT

on Tuesday 10 April 2001 20:28, John Hawkins wrote:

> PS Every time someone says, "gosh, y'all should try editor X, because
> it can tie your shoes AND milk your cow!", I think, "gosh, I wish they
> took the time to add shoe-tying and cow-milking to vi/emacs so that
> the rest of us could use it...never know when I might need to milk a
> cow with vim!"  No, I'm not kidding.  Using ridiculous examples, yes.
> Kidding, no.

Ludicrous examples? Who needs ludicrous examples when the only editor
worth using already ships with a built in psychoanalist.?

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/
                ;; Generally Not Used