Linux-Advocacy Digest #394, Volume #34           Thu, 10 May 01 14:13:08 EDT

Contents:
  Re: No More Linux! ("Lloyd")
  Caldera CEO agrees with MS ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: No More Linux! ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Is StarOffice 5.2 "compatible" w/MS Office 97/2000? (Rich Teer)
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! ("JS PL")
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! ("Daniel Johnson")
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! ("Daniel Johnson")
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! ("Daniel Johnson")
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! ("Daniel Johnson")
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! ("Daniel Johnson")
  Re: Windows NT: lost in space? (Chad Everett)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Microsoft standards... (was Re: Windows 2000 - It is a crappy product) (Craig
Kelley)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop ("Aaron R. Kulkis")
  Re: Microsoft's move away from perpetual licensing proves that the    closed  source
model doesn't work! (Craig Kelley)
  Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Homosexuality=suicide (pip)

From: "Lloyd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: No More Linux!
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 13:11:52 -0400

<Snip a bit>

> I don't know of any people that have used FreeBSD and Windows that would
> complain too much about it, unlike Linux.  Things like standardized
> directory trees, standardized installation packages, etc, make it really
> nice.

Lets not forget CVSUP or the ports collection. =)

<Snip a bit more>

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Caldera CEO agrees with MS
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 12:19:38 -0500

http://www.zdnet.com/eweek/stories/general/0,11011,2717264,00.html

Ransom Love (his real name, ISYN) says he agrees with MS that the GPL is not
appropriate for Commerical software, and is considering alternate licenses
such as the BSDL.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 13:15:51 -0400

Donn Miller wrote:

> Dave Martel wrote:
> >
> > I decided to become a FreeBSD snob instead. <g>
>
> I just installed Cygwin, and I love it!  I love using XEmacs and gcc on
> Windows.

He also likes driving cars with one flat tire.

>  The best part is that I can compile most GNU software that I
> normally use on FreeBSD on Windows. The bad part is that text entry
> fields in both Explorer and Netscape don't obey emacs conventions.  Like
> for example, when I hit control-A to go to the beginning of a line, all
> my text gets hi-lighted instead.
>
> Actually, I've been posting here for a few months now, and during the
> whole period, I had been running FreeBSD instead of Linux!  I'm a sham,
> a phony, a fake.  But, as a cross-platform sort of a guy who uses both
> nix and Windows, I still see a lot of stupid crap being spewed, and 99%
> of it is from the Wintrolls.  I had to laugh at Erik Funkensbusch's puny
> attempts to defend Microsoft when people brought up that thing where
> Windows shut down too fast with ATX power supplies.  "Oh, the drive is
> respnsible for flushing its own data with some capacitative power
> remaining in the drive."  Yeah right, Erik is just hopelessly in love
> with MS, and will do anything to defend this stupid company.  I can see
> this horse-shit, and I do actual programming on Windows.

> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy,alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.solaris
From: Rich Teer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Is StarOffice 5.2 "compatible" w/MS Office 97/2000?
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 17:16:35 GMT

On 10 May 2001, Matt McLeod wrote:

> I got in trouble for trying to use LaTeX here when I started a
> few years ago.  But with the changes coming up, it looks like
> LaTeX and LyX will become our standard doc tools.

I have a preference for *roff, but I don't do any mathematical
stuff.

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.

Voice: +1 (250) 979-1638

------------------------------

From: "JS PL" <hi everybody!>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 13:17:53 -0400

> Said Ayende Rahien in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Wed, 9 May 2001 20:53:14
> >"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> Said Daniel Johnson in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Tue, 08 May 2001

> >> And the fact that the most common applications used today are all
> >> Microsoft products doesn't seem to register with you, does it?
> >
> >Sound editing?
> >Movie editing?
> >3d graphics?
> >Graphics editing?
> >OCR?
> >Instant Messaging?
> >File sharing?
> >Anti Virus?
> >Download Managers?
> >FTP Clients?
> >
> >Just a couple of stuff where MS application either don't even exist, or
> >exist and not even close to be the most common.
>
> Wordprocessor
> Spreadsheet
> Database
> Browser
> Email/newsreader
> etc.
>
> The fact that the most common applications used today are all Microsoft
> products doesn't seem to register with you, does it?

Those don't seem to be the most common applications used Max. Head on over
to download.com and take a look at what people are using in this century.

ICQ - downloads this week 992,672
Zone Alarm - downloads this week 678,116
WinZip - downloads this week 531,817

Then there's a whole host of file sharing apps, burning apps, and media
playing apps on the top 50.
There's nary an Office type app on the whole list.
The Microsoft browser just plain wins on quality.

------------------------------

From: "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 17:18:52 GMT

> Said Daniel Johnson in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Wed, 09 May 2001
>    [...]
[snip]
> >It dominates the business
> >desktop because it's the best tool to build apps
> >for that desktop.
>
> Or, more honestly, it's the best tool to build apps for that desktop,
> because it dominates (criminally) that desktop.  Nobody ever accused you
> of being honest, though, eh, Daniel?  :-*

The amazing thing isn't really that you believe that.

The amazing thing is that you can't wrap your
brain around the notion of anyone disagreeing
with you.

You really think that in my heart I know
you are right, don't you?

It's creepy.

------------------------------

From: "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 17:18:53 GMT

> Said Daniel Johnson in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Wed, 09 May 2001
> >Hmmm.
> >
> >What, in your view, is an API then?
>
> Documentation on the function calls used by a library.

Interesting. So Win32 isn't an API but
*MSDN Library* is!

That's really warped.

So, int 21h isn't an API but a book
describing it is, right?

> >In Win32 an API?
> >Is POSIX?
> >Is the Macintosh Toolbox?
> >
> >Why are thse APIs and that int 21h
> >foolishness not an API?
>
> If you're going to answer your own question, why ask it?  ;-)

I can't answer it; I don't see anything the first
three have in common that int 21h doesn't.

------------------------------

From: "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 17:18:54 GMT

> Said Daniel Johnson in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Wed, 09 May 2001
> >Until now, they've never got far enough to deal with
> >the problems Microsoft has had.
>
> What is the size and direction of this dimension of 'far' that you're
> hypothesizing?

47 millikernels. :D

[snip]
> >So Macs apps today are built to the same
> >Toolbox they were in 1983, despite it's
> >well know defects.
>
> Bwah-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha.  Notice, Apple has NEVER had the kind of trouble
> with 'backwards compatibility' [sic] that Microsoft does, and yet they
> have better backward compatibility!  Guffaw.

Well, those two things do kind of go together. Indeed,
they are kind of the same thing, aren't they?

Apple has avoided compatibility problems by not
changing their OS very much, basically. This is
a problem because it has really needed it.

------------------------------

From: "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 17:18:55 GMT

> >> And the fact that the most common applications used today are all
> >> Microsoft products doesn't seem to register with you, does it?
> >
> >You might want to have a look at the huge quantities of
> >non-MS software that is available. MS produces a few
> >products that are at top of their categories- but only
> >a few.
>
> And the fact that the most common applications are all Microsoft
> products doesn't seem to register with you, does it?

You sure about that?

For what you say to be true, the "most common applications"
must be confined to wordprocessors and spreadsheets.

That seems quite narrow.

I wouldn't put such verbal tomfoolery past you,
of course, but  I'd like you to explicitly state
what you mean by "the most common applications",
before I go beating you about the head with it. :D

> >Microsoft is big, but not nearly big enough to go it
> >alone. They can fill in for any one or two developers-
> >they did for Lotus and Wordperfect historically- but
> >not all of them. Not even very many of them.
>
> They don't own the whole planet, so they can't possibly have broken the
> law, is this your argument?

Well, no, no it isn't. I take it from this that
you cannot address the actual argument I was
making?

------------------------------

From: "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 17:18:55 GMT

"Rob Barris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Do you have a cite for that? My understanding is that
> > Rhapsody was an internal project.
>
>    I have a Rhapsody DR2 CD for Intel hardware, want it?
>
>    Rhapsody was essentially OpenStep 5.0 plus the Blue Box environment
> (classic MacOS in a window), although Blue Box was only available on
> PowerPC.

Jeepers. I guess I lose.

To *Rick* even.

Now *that's* humiliating! :(

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chad Everett)
Subject: Re: Windows NT: lost in space?
Date: 10 May 2001 11:51:55 -0500

On Thu, 10 May 2001 17:30:27 +1200, Matthew Gardiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Chad Everett wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, 08 May 2001 07:45:48 GMT, Tom Wilson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >
>> >"Matthew Gardiner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> >
>> ><snip>

>> >Explains the massive amounts of Vodka guzzled, too.
>> >

>> and when the vodka runs out, they switch to polyethelyne glycol.
>Not true.  Most Russians I know don't tank themselves to oblivion. That
>statement is a gross western generalisation of Russians.  It is a bit
>like how the Soviet union saw American youths who wore jeans as
>subordinant and evil.

Ah, but we were talking about "tankers" who live in the far reaches of
Siberia during the winter.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 13:29:28 -0400

chrisv wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >> Because stupid bigots like to rationalize their hatred of gays by
> >> blaming them for AIDS.
> >
> >No.  I merely refuse to associate with people who are so fucking suicidal.
>
> Again, the false logic from Kookis.  Homosexual != suicidal.
> Homosexuality != unprotected anal sex.  Idiot.

Does "protection" ever break?
a) no
B) YES

DOH!

The life expectancy of a male homosexual is 20 YEARS SHORTER than
that of a male heterosexual.

What does this tell you?

(and no, it has nothing to do with murder rates).

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft standards... (was Re: Windows 2000 - It is a crappy product)
Date: 10 May 2001 11:29:48 -0600

"Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Perhaps when you graduate from the hell that telnet is - I mean, how
> limiting! - into the year 2000 and beyond you'll realize how silly
> your hanging on to the past is. I mean, all this worship of telnet
> and the command line. You sound like an Amish person swearing off
> technology! I can't remember the last time I needed the command line
> or even felt the urge to time travel into days of old...

Yes, and we should burn all the silly books too!  Television is much
more 'year 2000'.  I mean, all this worship of written language and
type makes you sound like an Amish person swearing off technology!  I
can't remember the last time I needed a book or even felt the urge to
time travel into days of old...

--
It won't be long before the CPU is a card in a slot on your ATX videoboard
Craig Kelley  -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 13:30:55 -0400

Edward Rosten wrote:

> >> We might even find a cure for bigotry.
> >
> > Judging someone on the basis of their LETHAL-DISEASE-TRANSMITTING
> > ***BEHAVIOR*** is common sense evaluation, not bigotry.
> >
> > Hope that helps, MORON
>
> Which is why the MAJORITY of AIDS victims are hetrosexual.

Only in Africa.

In the rest of the world, AIDS is primarily restricted to those who
engage in homosexual behavior, and interveinous drug use.

> Hope that helps, MORON.
>
> -Ed
>
> --
> You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.
>
> u 9 8 e j r (at) e c s . o x . a c . u k

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 13:31:43 -0400

chrisv wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >chrisv wrote:

> >> There's any number of reasons, OBVIOUSLY, ranging from the social
> >> stigma of revealing these desires, to fear of disease, to just not
> >> wanting it too much at all.  Any NUMBER of reasons that are more
> >> plausible than your assertion that most people have 0 (zero) capacity
> >> for bisexual feelings.
> >
> >right... 80% of men are bisexual, and Nooooone of them recognize it
> >in each other?????
> >
> >God, you're stupid as fuck, you know it...
>
> Well, you clearly have conceeded defeat, having had to resort to the F
> word like this.

No, I'm pointing out ho much of a stupid fuck you are.

So, Chris...are you trying to tell use that you have secret
homosexual yearnings?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Craig Kelley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft's move away from perpetual licensing proves that the    closed
source model doesn't work!
Date: 10 May 2001 11:32:21 -0600

GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Now all I need to do is convince the wife of that.  She needs a
> replacement for her old greeting card making program (her favorite),
> a better or easier to use replacement for her Borland 5.0 quattro
> pro.  She also likes her ICQ with her friends and importing all data
> and data bases to a MAC would be something I know nothing of.  I
> wouldn't mind a mac with OS X tho.

Showing the new iBook movie on Apple's website did it for my wife...
of course, I'd already bought the damn thing so there wasn't much she
could do about it anyway...  :)

From: "Ayende Rahien" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: gnu.misc.discuss,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Richard Stallman what a tosser, and lies about free software
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 08:32:15 +0200

> Said Ayende Rahien in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Wed, 9 May 2001 20:55:02
> >"T. Max Devlin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> Said Ayende Rahien in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Wed, 9 May 2001
05:42:32

> >> And nowhere along the way it occurs to you that you're just building a
> >> little unfalsifiable delusion, rather than an analogy, I'll bet.
> >
> >I gave a bloody exmaple, you know. A really good one, I think.
>
> I know that's what you tried to do, Ayende.  Sorry if I was harsh.
> Don't be so jumpy.

Sorry for sounding jumpy.
That was written in the middle of my computer upgrade, which was a
nightmarish experiance, I hurt *everywhere*, afterward.
Made me realize all *too* well why I don't like hardware very much, and why
I need a new desk if I want to do it more often. Luckily, I don't think that
I would need to.

> >Try to use some of the functions that I listed, and you can easily cause
> >crashes, memory leaks, and all sort of nasty stuff to happen to your
> >application.
>
> Oh, forget it.

No, I don't.

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Homosexuality=suicide
Date: Thu, 10 May 2001 18:36:49 +0100

"Public " wrote:

> Anyone who would grab their ankles and let some queer drive their point home
>deserves to die.

Look, your first time is always painful. No need to get verbal about it.