From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 18:33:23 -0400

Burkhard Wölfel wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>
> > If the overwhelming majority of men were truly bisexual, as you claim,
> > then why what reason would that be?
> >

> Read any Kinsey report

Kinsey was a fraud.  Even his own department at IU says so.

> Read anything by Freud on general psychology

Dr. Fraud is equally discredited.

> > > I rather easily pointed this out and gave some example reasons,
> > > showing you to be the illogical dumbass we all knew you were anyway,
> > > so now all you can do is start swearing at me.  How quaint.
> >
> > Maybe it's for the same reason that even though getting a lot of
> > money is a very popular idea, very few people actually rob banks.
> >
> > It's not THOUGHTS about robbing banks that gets you thrown in
> > the klink, its THE ACT.
>
> Explain, is hallucinating about cocks and asses OK but not the sport or
> what?

I don't care what you think about, just as long as you don't
violate the behavioral code.

> > By your dumbass definition, 99% of the population are band robbers.
>
> This is so funny, perhaps you should read Aristotle and some other
> Greeks too, not only on logic, btw.

Standard engineering procedure is to check to see if the conclusion
violates any of the original assumptions.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 18:35:30 -0400

Roberto Alsina wrote:

> Burkhard Wölfel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >

> >"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> >> If the overwhelming majority of men were truly bisexual, as you claim,
> >> then why what reason would that be?
> >>

> >Read any Kinsey report
>
> Kinsey was into urethral insertion. Perhaps he really wanted to make
> people think the average weirdness is higher than expected ;-)

Kinsey was into all kinds of weird shit.  He used purposefully biased
sample sets to "document" that his weidness was marginally normal
(and even then, considering that his sample sets were prison inmates
and homosexual prostitutes, he couldn't "mainstream" himself).

> --
> Roberto Alsina

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 18:36:36 -0400

Burkhard Wölfel wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> >
> > chrisv wrote:

> > > Damn, you are dense.  People keep it secret, you know?  They don't
> >
> > Translation: Chrisv has a secret.
>
> This is the point where you failed the opportunity of learning something
> for your life. I guess everybody here sees your illogic, hesitated mind.
> It's obvious that you need defamation to assure yourself of your own
> opinion. This is a typical device for people that can't stand a serious
> discussion.

Translation: Burkhard has a secret just like Chrisv has a secret.

> > > want anyone else to have even the TINIEST suspicions.  People CAN
> > > suppress their feelings and keep secrets, you know.  Also, I'm sure on
> > > most men, the desire is so weak that it almost never crosses their
> > > minds, and if it does, the thought is immediately suppressed, since
> > > "I'm a manly man not a damn queer.  Hell, I make FUN of queers with my
> > > buds!"
> >
> > Personally, I don't make fun of them, I don't even pay attention
> > to them...until THEY start making an issue of it.
> >
> > The First Amendment gives you a right to remain silent.  If you're
> > homosexual, I suggest that you use it....

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Subject: Re: Microsoft standards... (was Re: Windows 2000 - It is a crappy  product)
Date: 11 May 2001 22:46:30 GMT

On Fri, 11 May 2001 18:28:15 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Yes...telnet is sooooooooo limiting that it's been the mainstay
>of remote usage for 20 years.

Telnet is crap. It was not crap 10 years ago, it was not crap 5 years
ago, but it is 100% crap today. No encription by default, no simple way
to enable non-password access from secure locations, no
automatic redirection of DISPLAY[1], no simple mechanism for encripted
port redirection, no data compression, no consistency across
implementations [2] and a dozen other things.

Forget telnet, only the incompetents use it... oops, sorry Aaron,
I forgot I was replying to you.

[1] Usually. It is mostly an interoperation problem.

[2] Does SCO's telnetd set the username to what's in the USER variable,
if you use -l? Half the telnet servers around don't even support
ENVIRON!

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Date: 11 May 2001 22:47:57 GMT

On Fri, 11 May 2001 18:35:30 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Roberto Alsina wrote:
>>
>> Burkhard Wölfel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >Read any Kinsey report
>>
>> Kinsey was into urethral insertion. Perhaps he really wanted to make
>> people think the average weirdness is higher than expected ;-)
>
>Kinsey was into all kinds of weird shit.  He used purposefully biased
>sample sets to "document" that his weidness was marginally normal
>(and even then, considering that his sample sets were prison inmates
>and homosexual prostitutes, he couldn't "mainstream" himself).

Well, I know Kinsey was weird, but this "homosexual prostitutes and
prison inmates" stuff is new. Got any references?

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 18:48:36 -0400

Burkhard Wölfel wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> > Judging someone on the basis of their LETHAL-DISEASE-TRANSMITTING ***BEHAVIOR***
> > is common sense evaluation, not bigotry.
>
> This idea is very common indeed, but has not much to do with sense.
> It doesn't matter _where_ you put your Aaron in, Aaron. It has to do
> with condoms, testing and confidence.

Gay-male sex leads to AIDS...especially when a condom breaks.
Hope that helps.

> Burkhard Wölfel
> v e r s u c h s a n s t a l t (at) g m x . de
> pubkey for this adress @ pgp.net

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 18:49:05 -0400

Burkhard Wölfel wrote:

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
> > Judging someone on the basis of their LETHAL-DISEASE-TRANSMITTING ***BEHAVIOR***
> > is common sense evaluation, not bigotry.
>
> This idea is very common indeed, but has not much to do with sense.
> It doesn't matter _where_ you put your Aaron in, Aaron. It has to do
> with condoms, testing and confidence.

Burkhard, did you know that denial ain't just a river in Egypt...

> Burkhard Wölfel
> v e r s u c h s a n s t a l t (at) g m x . de
> pubkey for this adress @ pgp.net

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: Etienne Detriot <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.advocacy,alt.solaris.x86,comp.unix.solaris
Subject: Re: Good Tex Pdf Files was Re: Is StarOffice 5.2 "compatible" w/MS
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 15:49:35 -0700

I use LyX and add

\usepackage{pslatex}
\usepackage[ps2pdf,pdftitle={My Document
Title},urlcolor=blue,linktocpage,letterpaper,colorlinks=true]{hyperref}

in the preamble if I need PDF output.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Roberto Alsina)
Date: 11 May 2001 22:54:18 GMT

On Fri, 11 May 2001 18:48:36 -0400, Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Burkhard Wölfel wrote:
>>
>> "Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:
>> > Judging someone on the basis of their LETHAL-DISEASE-TRANSMITTING ***BEHAVIOR***
>> > is common sense evaluation, not bigotry.
>>
>> This idea is very common indeed, but has not much to do with sense.
>> It doesn't matter _where_ you put your Aaron in, Aaron. It has to do
>> with condoms, testing and confidence.
>
>Gay-male sex leads to AIDS...especially when a condom breaks.
>Hope that helps.

The above statement is true.
So is this one: "Heterosexual intercourse leads to AIDS... especially
when a condom breaks".

Yes, Aaron, also intercourse with russian women who are afraid of being
deported if they leave you leads to AIDS... especially when a condom
breaks.

--
Roberto Alsina

------------------------------

From: John Travis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: To Erik: What is Wordperfect missing?
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 22:43:26 GMT

On Sat, 12 May 2001 01:21:27 +1200, Matthew Gardiner
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I have gracefully moved from using StarOffice 5.2, and purchase
>Wordperfect Suite 2000 for Linux. I constantly hear the mantra that
>"Until MS Office comes to Linux, it (linux) will never grace the
>harddrives of large corporate desktops".  If that is the case, what is
>Wordperfect Suite 2000 missing?
>
>Wordprocessor: Wordperfect 9
>Database: Paradox 9
>Spreadsheet:Quattro Pro 9
>Presentations: Presentations 9
>Calender/Scheduler/Address Book/Memo's: Corel Central 9
>Browser/Email: Netscape 4.76, I have only had it crash once on me, in
>the 2 months I have owned this copy of SuSE Linux 7.1.
>
>So, whats missing? Where is the huge gap between Wordperfect Suite and
>MS Office Pro?
>
>Matthew Gardiner

Well I would think the one big complaint would be that it is a
half-ass wine port of the windows version.  When Corel embrassed
GNU/Linux (to try and save the company) they initally went to native
linux ports of WP etc.  Now everything is a wine port (office2k,
photopaint etc.).  This usually brings in issues of it's own  like
font server problems etc.  I wonder how long it will be before
CWPO2002 is available for GNU/Linux.

jt

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Fri, 11 May 2001 23:08:25 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, JS PL
<hieverybody!>
 wrote
on Fri, 11 May 2001 01:51:23 -0400
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>"Today is truly a sad day in our nation's history. Never before has our
>government so viciously pursued a company that has done so much good for not
>only Americans, but for people worldwide. Microsoft, the driving force
>behind the booming U.S. economy, has revolutionized how we communicate, how
>we educate our children, and how we live. It is clear that the government's
>lawsuit and Judge Jackson's decision ignored the basis of anti-trust law.
>Congress passed anti-trust laws to protect consumers, not competitors.
>Ironically, it is the Department of Justice that has harmed consumers."
>US Sen. Slade Gorton (R-WA)

Lessee.  What has Microsoft given us?

- Clippy, the talking paper clip.  Such technical innovation!
  And now they've given him a home life and a personality, as well!
  He even tries to drink beer -- not too successfully.
  http://www.microsoft.com/office/clippy/
  (Go figure.  "All your paper clips are belong to us", maybe?
  I hope they paid Gilbert Gottfried well.  No, I'm not kidding.)
- The ability to spread .VBS trojan horses using a single mouseclick.
  (They're not virii, despite comments in the popular press, though
  they do exhibit some characteristics thereof -- namely their ability
  to spread.)
- ActiveX.  Security?  What security?  Maybe if we're lucky the signatures
  will protect us....
- Outlook Express Post On Top Ignoring Internet/Usenet Conventions.
- Absolutely horrid TCP/IP stacks on DOS/Win3.1.
- Slightly better, but still horrid stacks on Win95.  (But they were
  at least easy to set up.)
- Backslashes and single-letter drive names!  They could have at least
  implemented something like the Amiga's logical names, which could
  take almost anything left of a colon.
- Folders.  They're not directories, they're folders.  Learn the
  new MicrosoftSpeak(tm).  (If I wanted a folder, I'd hire someone
  to do my laundry...)
- Just what is a zone, anyway?
- "cd C:\Documents and Settings\username\Desktop" actually works
  in COMMAND.COM and CMD.EXE.  (The mind reels.)
- The registry beehive.  Are we supposed to make honey?
- BO(m)B.
- Microsoft Word, the undocumented industry standard.
- One Size Fits All GUI.
- For that matter, One Size Fits All OLE files.
- SMB, the other undocumented industry standard.
- Horizontal scrollbars for lists of files (Win95/NT4).  This thing
  not only catches the eye, it drags it horribly and painfully across
  the ground and then leaves it to bleed to death.
- Carriage return/linefeeds.  Every Unix node on the planet uses
  only a newline, but Microsoft actually did it right.  (Then again,
  their record is decidedly mixed here.)
- 64-bit seek, but one had to split up the 64 into 32-32 first.
  Bodgy, but workable.  (Note that it's not called seek;
  it's called SetFilePointer.  Yet another argument for
  context-understanding, as opposed to mere index, search.)
- Hi, we're the Dancing Scrollbars From Hell!  Stick close or we'll
  jump back...  (Admittedly, their intentions are good.)
- 'Open' = 'Execute'.  Is it data or a program?  One is reminded of
  an old Amiga "VAUX Killer Demo" for those who remember those days.
  "O-Kaaaaay!  Check out the icon!  [a plunger box]  Double-click....."
- .LNK bodgery.  Why not use soft/symbolic links like everyone else?
  If I open a .LNK file from within a program, I get -- a .LNK file.
  Whoopee.  And you can forget about the hard stuff.
  (One has to use "The Shell" to do it right.)
- We're going to bury the icon image file deep within the executable.
  That way, when we rebuild the desktop, you can actually see it
  going painfully slowly, opening each and every file, and refreshing it.
  (Mac did it right, although they had to extend the file system
  to include data and resource fork support to do so.  Amiga
  used separate .info files and didn't bother to auto-update the desktop.)
- Did you want to [windows flag] Start something?  Or shut down?
- "Start me up...[...]...you make me hurt so bad..."
  (They paid *how much*?)
- A beta version of Win95 actually tried to set the clock back
  more than once at the last Sunday in October.  Or was it the
  released version?  (IIRC, it went out in August.)  Admittedly,
  to be fair, only computer geeks (like me), pilots, and
  military types think in terms of GMT/UTC; all those other
  people just answer "4:00".  :-)
- The program has performed an illegal operation and will be shut down,
  but won't tell you why or leave you anything useful.
  If you're really lucky, you might discover something from that
  pathetic excuse of a stack dump.  This OS will self-destruct
  in 5 seconds.  Good luck, Jim.
- The Blue Screen Of Death.  The NT version is at least marginally
  useful, with a stack dump and a process list.  The Win9x version
  might give you a program address if you're lucky.
- Click on [OK] to terminate or [Cancel] to debug.  (Can we, like,
  click on [Terminate] or [Debug], maybe, instead?!?!  AAARGH!  Stupidity!!)
- "Hello, I've been modified and I'll disappear from your Explorer
  viewscreen.  You'll have to scroll to the bottom to see me again."
- "std::".  Once again, Microsoft did it right.  Everyone else
  did it conveniently.  (This is a C++/STL issue.  I'll admit
  they did do it right, but it's still a pain...)
- Visual Source Safe, and its very peculiar idea of branching and sharing.
  Don't lose your network, or your VC++ project might get confused
  and lose the fact that it's actually in Visual Source Safe.....
- Kerberos.  Not that I've used it myself, mind you (I'd like to) but
  apparently Win2k "embraced and extended" it.
- The J++ "delegate" keyword.  (At least Microsoft got sued for
  that one, among many other flaws in their JVM.)
- Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, and it looks like
  Microsoft is trying to imitate Sun with its .NET line of products,
  "embracing and reimplementing" it.
- TELNET.  No, they didn't invent it.  They *broke* it.

Oh yes, Microsoft is so innovative.  What Unix, Linux, or Mac box could
give us all this and crashes, too?  :-)  (Though I'm still trying
to figure out what "Splunge!" means.  It's buried deep in the
aicxxx section of the Linux 2.2 kernel.)

                    [ ] Check here to always trust monopolistic software.