From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What Microsoft's CEO should do
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 06:17:49 +0200

"Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9fhcd1$bp5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Considering Windows 2000 includes DirectX support, there's very few modern
> games that they'd have to give up.  Older DOS based games may or may not
> run, but you can still get Nethack for Win32...

A lot of DOS games run, actually.
I recall somone being very surpirsed about it, he delved into it, and found
that the calls they were makin were "an emulation of an emulation".

> Consider also this:  a lot of things that you require scripts for on *nix
> machines, don't require scripts on Windows.  I've often wondered with some
> open source stuff that requires log processing, why the application that
> generates the logs isn't modified to generate logs in a reasonable.

In a reasonable what? can you give example?

>(not sure if ActiveState have
> a Python plugin for WSH)

Yes.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: UI Importance
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 06:19:44 +0200

"Woofbert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> But for teaching the basics of programming, when you don't want all that
> complicated UI stuff getting in the way of what you're really teaching,
> a CLI is a good thing to have.

I agree absolutely about this point.
Trying to teach GUI when first leaning to program is a bitch.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 06:21:14 +0200

"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Ayende Rahien wrote:
> >
> > "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:9fg0bg$s2a$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > What's different?
> >
> > I can't get Bash's to work :-D
> >

> How come?  What environment is bash installed on?
> I usually just type in at least a few characters and then hit the tab
> key.

Cygwin & Slackware 7.1

------------------------------

From: Andre G- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop. - Security issues.- competition -
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 20:32:58 -0700

Please be rational:
   rumors or assertions like MACOS is better or worse do not help anyone.
Be as specific as possible, every one win.
Clean facts ==> better competition.

As far as I am concerned, the only desktop OS manual that I have ever read
explaining security issues an holes, and also how to test it is SUSE Linux.

For Linux / Unix there is also security test suite (called Satan) than you
can use for free. Could you make a specific comparison with other OS'es?

Even if you do not appreciate Linux, and do not use use it, you benefit
largely from the Linux dynamic.

Microsoft has to enhance its Windfows OS'es to be able to compete: Windows
users get a better product... and so forth.

BTW: Apple used a free OS kernel (MACH) for the base of theur new finally
multitasking OS.
AG-

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter da Silva)
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: 5 Jun 2001 03:14:12 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Larry Elmore  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Peter da Silva wrote:
> > In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> > Larry Elmore  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > > If you want a custom car, you go to a custom car dealer. If you want a
> > > mass market car, but _without_ a transmission because you want to
> > > install your own special one, do you honestly expect to be able to go to
> > > a mass market auto dealer and pay _less_ for that car?

> > AOOOGAH AOOOOGAH! BAD ANALOGY WARNING! BAD ANALOGY WARNING!

> Only for the too literal-minded. What manufactered commodity item would
> make a better analogy, and why?

A modular one, of course. Removing the transmission from a car is expensive,
and they're unlikely to sell it to someone else. Software can be erased with
a moment's work, and licenses are fungible.

Bass boat and outboard motor would be about right.

--
 `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
  'U`    "A well-rounded geek should be able to geek about anything."

------------------------------

From: Andre G- <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why should an OS cost money?  You may pay for free software if you wish.
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 20:48:00 -0700

With all the due respect this is plain silly.
After all for ever people have done all kind of things for profit, or to
give it away.
This is especially true for intellectual property: books, songs, poetry,
software, art, and more..
After it is the choice of the creator to decide what (s)he wants to do with
his/her intellectuall property. Painters have been giving copyrights to
organisations like "Amnesty International", "Greenpeace" for ever.

The GPL sounds to me perfectly ok, after all nobody forces MS or Appple to
use public domain software as a bas to many of their products.
If I develop a piece of software and want to make a gift to the "free
software" communauty, or not, why not!
The GPL shifts the paradigm, by making money  on distribution, support
including documentation. Not bad.

Also this should on the long run make hardware vendors less dependant of
S/W vendors, to introduce new technology. Remember that MS have been
twisting the arm to mjor H/W vendors, so hey would not introduce new
technology. With Linux, this would be hard to do!

 So take you pick, and if you really want to pay for free software, just
make a donation to the free sofware fundation, like many companies already
do!

AG-

------------------------------

From: Clark Safford <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: RIP the Linux desktop
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 18:24:39 -0600

On Sat, 02 Jun 2001, drsquare wrote:
>On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 16:17:31 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> (Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>>> Yet again, you are completely incorrect. I was merely stating you
>>> cannot call someone a criminal unless they have been convicted as
>>> such. You cannot consider a reported crime a crime without a
>>> conviction.
>

>>You can state a crime has been committed without having a perpetrator.
>>If somone has been murdered, a crime has been committed. Large numbers
>>of murders (crimes) go unsolved all the time. If you exceed the speed
>>limit, you are commiting a crime, wether you are convicted or not.. and
>>so on.
>>
>>webster's new world dictionary:
>>crime: n. an act commited or omitted in violation of a law. Notice it
>>doesnt say anything about a conviction.
>
>And if there's no conviction, how do you know it's a crime? Sorry, but
>I believe in innocent until proven guilty. If someone reports a crime,
>I don't consider it to be a crime until it's been proven.

Innocent until proven quilty is a courtroom term.  It means that the Gov't has
the burden of proof.  If you don't believe me, toss a rock through a police
station's window.  While you're being tossed in your cell, explain to cop that
you're innocent until proven guilty.  Don't be surprised when he laughs his ass
off as he locks the cell door.

------------------------------

From: <johnbrowne>
Subject: Re: where's the linux performance?
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 00:02:11 -0400

"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Jonathan Martindell
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Sat, 5 May 2001 20:00:05 -0400
> <9d242m$n03$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >Hi all,
> >
> >I'm just a beginning Linux user.  I've recently tried Linux-Mandrake 7.2
and
> >then Linux-Mandrake 8.0 and also Caldera OpenLinux 2.4.  I've been very
> >disappointed in the performance of all of these.  My machine, I think,
> >should be more than adaquate: 708MHz celeron fcppga cpu, 256 meg rams, 10
> >gig partition for linux (20 for windows 2000) on Ultra66.  I've tried
> >running KDE, Gnome, and Icevm.  Programs like KMail take over 10 seconds
> >load.  StarOffice takes a really long time too.  When I'm using win2000 I
> >never have this problem.  Even on comparable software.

May be a IDE problem recongnizing your drivers not optimizing for speed for
the higher IDE settings. Check the manuals.

Also check to make sure you have a swap file installed. If you didn't have
one created automagically for you, this will cause a huge performance drain
as will the non optimized settig for UDMA 66.

I also had problems with some Mandrake distros actually using the Ram I had
available on my machines. It saw 64 meg when I had 256 meg. This will put a
real drain in the system. The fix is in Lilo.

I have since gone to Suse, and no problems here. Suse flies on my machine,
much faster than Windows 2000 for most task (including Internet access). In
fact, I cannot wait to finish this Windows project, so I can move full time
to Linux. Fortunately all our scheduled work for the rest of this year is in
Java.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 04:05:05 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Andre G- wrote:
>With all the due respect this is plain silly.
>After all for ever people have done all kind of things for profit, or to
>give it away.
>This is especially true for intellectual property: books, songs, poetry,
>software, art, and more..
>After it is the choice of the creator to decide what (s)he wants to do with
>his/her intellectuall property. Painters have been giving copyrights to
>organisations like "Amnesty International", "Greenpeace" for ever.

Um humm.

>The GPL sounds to me perfectly ok, after all nobody forces MS or Appple to
>use public domain software as a bas to many of their products.
>If I develop a piece of software and want to make a gift to the "free
>software" communauty, or not, why not!
>The GPL shifts the paradigm, by making money  on distribution, support
>including documentation. Not bad.

Um humm.  So far so good.

>Also this should on the long run make hardware vendors less dependant of
>S/W vendors, to introduce new technology. Remember that MS have been
>twisting the arm to mjor H/W vendors, so hey would not introduce new
>technology. With Linux, this would be hard to do!

Yes, very good!

> So take you pick, and if you really want to pay for free software, just
>make a donation to the free sofware fundation, like many companies already
>do!
>
>AG-

Or you can buy just about any distribution and do the same thing.

But since I use Debian I think your idea is just fine.

Actually these people are making the lions share of the cash
on support agreements and specially funded projects by the
large computer firms like IBM or HP or whatever.

None by Microsoft however.

>Ayende Rahien wrote:
>

>> "Nick Condon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>>> Very little of the world's software is developed for resale. Most -
>> perhaps
>>> 95% - of the world's software is developed in-house for it's use-value
>>> and licensing is non-issue. Don't believe me? Take a look any publication
>>> that advertises vacancies for developers. How many of them are software
>>> houses? Maybe 1 in 20. Most of them are financial institutions.
>>
>> That is closer to 80%, I would say.
>> And most of the revenue on software is made from resale.

When I worked for the worlds largest medical software vendor,
Charlie Mc Call told me that my contribution to the company was
only 5%.  He said 80% of the profit came from maintenance
contracts as they gave my software away to get the maintenance.

Well, since he started Compuserve and was now running my
company, he knew what he was talking about.

The ONLY people who will feel a negative impact from ideas
like the GPL will be companies like Microsoft.  And that's
only if they don't change.

--
Charlie
=======

------------------------------

From: <johnbrowne>
Subject: Re: Chicken and egg problem
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 00:06:46 -0400

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:8jRS6.6542$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Gerald Meazell" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:<9ffak1$64t$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
> > > http://joel.editthispage.com/stories/storyReader$117
> > >
> Not really.  OS/2 had many problems that Microsoft successfully solved.
The
> biggest one was the developer issue.  MS successfully got developers on
> board to Win32 fairly shortly after the release of Win95, IBM was still
> pulling teeth to get people to develop native 32 bit apps.
>
> IBM saw no need to court developers, and in fact treated it as some kind
of
> priviledge to develop for OS/2.  The OS/2 SDK was prohibitively expensive
> and You had to buy IBM's monstrous documentation set which, when stacked
up
> was about 5 feet high in boxes with 5-10 books each.  IBM eventually got
> stuff put on CD-ROM, but it took forever.

You hit the nail right on the head!! OS/2 was a very good OS, much better
thn anything MS has put out. But the development tools Stunk! Big time!! And
IBM's attitude was as bad as the tools.

IBM has learned alot now. Maybe the Nabisco exec taught them how to be
cookie sweet <G>...