Linux-Advocacy Digest #991, Volume #34            Tue, 5 Jun 01 20:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: What Microsoft's CEO should do (GreyCloud)
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the  dust!
("stevekimble")
  Re: Linux on Itanium (GreyCloud)
  Re: Windows advocate of the year. (GreyCloud)
  Re: The usual Linux spiel... (was Re: Is Open Source for You?) (Michael Vester)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux starts getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) ("stevekimble")
  Re: Chicken and egg problem (Michael Vester)
  Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft (Larry Elmore)
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the    (Rick)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: Windows XP Ushers in New Era of Communications (drsquare)
  Re: Best Distribution? (drsquare)
  Re: Best Distribution? (drsquare)
  Re: SourceForge hacked! (drsquare)
  Re: SourceForge hacked! (drsquare)
  Re: Compiling Knews was: Linux beats Win2K (again) (drsquare)
  Re: Compiling Knews was: Linux beats Win2K (again) (drsquare)
  Re: Linux beats Win2K (again) (drsquare)
  Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the   dust!
(drsquare)

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What Microsoft's CEO should do
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 15:34:28 -0700

daniel wrote:

> [...]
> considers as competing platforms don't exist.  They gain nothing from
> not providing interoperability support and only bolster their
> reputation as being a stodgy, profit-first mentality company that
> wants to force people down a certain path.
>
> Now what if they actually did provide support for the ext2 filesystem?
> Not only would their product be more usable, the company as a whole
> would, if not gain more acceptance, at least receive less criticism
> from the community of users who may use a Microsoft platform in
> addition to other platforms.
>
> If I were the president of the company I would have the people
> responsible for this sort of mentality out immediately.  To operate as
> a company with such a high degree of market domination from a paranoid
> point of view like this is outrageous.
>
> Let us look at another thing: the DOS shell.  The DOS shell is
> basically a nearly useless joke.  Why not implement a real shell
> environment such as BASH?  But I wonder if the people who set policy
> at Microsoft even have the capability to see how the BASH shell is
> such an important part of Linux and why it is so popular.  Having a
> full, feature-rich shell environment which underlies the gui and which
> provides full-functionality in every respect such that the gui becomes
> almost secondary (in many instances it is truly secondary) means that
> the core of the OS is solid and robust.
>
> If I were the president of Microsoft I would be highly interested in
> the Cygwin project and would want to see most of what it does
> implemented natively in Windows and integrated into the shell (or
> replace the DOS shell).
>
> With respect to open standards and RFCs again the way Microsoft
> operates is a mess.  With as much weight as they have why don't they
> realize that operating with a profit-first mentality in a state of
> paranoia they stunt their potential to work in a flourishing
> environment with the developer community of the world and, should they
> choose to contribute (not dictate) to the development of standards
> would gain greater acceptance and realize greater benefit to users
> around the world?
>
> When I read the findings of fact from the antitrust trial I was so
> glad that this information was published and acknowleged.  Every
> finding was correct and also a serious problem.
>
> I think what Microsoft is protecting has nothing to do with business
> actually.  I think that really a large bureaucracy of lazy and inept
> mangement want to cover its ass and protect its way of life.  Silicon
> Valley has witnessed over the years how new and innovative ways of
> thinking and operating can lead to exciting developments and great
> gains in the technological world.  But young companies that are
> versatile, innovative, and put an emphasis on creativity and reward
> innovators more than policy makers often change.  Maybe the real war
> that has to be fought at Microsoft is an internal one.

What should the MS CEOs do???  They can all jump into Lake Washington!

From: "stevekimble" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the  dust!
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 23:31:08 +0100

"green" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9el7pa$lf5$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > green wrote:
> > >
> > > "Chronos Tachyon" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote
> in
> > > message news:RyZO6.9067$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> so
> session

> with
> "program
> stuff,
> > > >

> > > yes I mean as the user left it. not have each program reload and
restore
> > > users session.
> > >
> > > even store it to disk (memory image like a suspend to disk) and resume
> if
> > > they log on again
> > > would be good to conserve memory.
> >
> > That's pretty much cutting-edge stuff outside of advanced IBM mainframe
> OS's.
> >

> Pity :(
>

> > > I considered vnc but the clients won't be running a x client only the
> server
> > > so vnc would run on the server computer as a client and a server so
> that's
> > > no good.
> > >
> > > the only way I can think of is having xdm (or kdm gdm) accept several
> > > connections, but it doesn't allow for logging of but leaving the users
> > > programs running or in suspend state.

As an aside which is of no great import to Linux, I believe SCO's Vision
Resume
does as you describe. I haven't used it myself so can't back this up with
actual
experience - just wanted to give it a mention.

Regards, Steve

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux on Itanium
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 15:42:20 -0700

Nigel Feltham wrote:

> Herr Maestro Bantz wrote:
>
> > 2 + 2 wrote:
> >
> >> "Intel has teamed with Linux vendors to bring the open source OS to the
> >> new chip. And those vendors are eager to raise Linux to a
> >> high-performance platform. "We now have a chance to offer Linux as a
> >> first-class operating system across the whole spectrum, from embedded
> >> applications to the enterprise," said Michael Tiemann, chief technical
> >> officer at Red Hat. Intel was one of the first equity investors in Red
> >> Hat in 1998.
> >> http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories/news/0,4164,2768445,00.html
> >>
> >> Intel knows a mass market when they see one.
> >>
> >> 2 + 2
> >
> > So let me get this straight, a freebie language some 30 years old is
> > better than all the billions spent on making a better mouse trap? Why am I
> > not surprised. I've enjoyed MIDI for 3 decades and maybe the goliaths
> > should take a beat from musicians and their AGREEMENT to have a standard
> > format...
> >

> But Linux is not 30 years old - it may be based on the 30 year evolution of
> unix but the linux kernel is only 10 years old and most of this has been
> rewritten at least once in those 10 years.

The way I look at it... if it works why fix it.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows advocate of the year.
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 15:48:59 -0700

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9fi5n6$89j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Not all windows advocates are bad.
> >
> > They are capable of reasoned, rational arguments (though you might not
> > believe it with the amount of drivel coming out of people like Chad
> > Myers).
> >
> > I think we should have a Wincvocate of the year nominated (it makes a
> > change from nominating trolls).
> >
> > I would like to nominate Ayende Rahien. If all windows advocates were
> > like this, this group would be a much better place. Heck, if all Linux
> > advocates were like this, he group would be a better place.
>
> Thanks.

I give you my vote. :-)

From: Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The usual Linux spiel... (was Re: Is Open Source for You?)
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 16:20:27 -0700

GreyCloud wrote:

<snip>
> When you deal in military systems you always have a high overhead...
> mainly due to the need of large human resources.  These designs are
> original and take lots of money and time.  One other factor is once they
> start production of say 10 or 20 units of whatever hardware they also
> have to produce enough spare parts to last the projected hardwares
> lifespan.  And this takes a logistics system that can track where those
> parts are.  None of this comes by cheaply.  Once you run out of those
> spare parts its very costly to shop around for some company that is
> willing to tool up and manufacture those parts.
>
> The original PC was put into the hands of one man...(can't remember his
> name as he died in a plane wreck).

Philip "Don" Estridge. He designed IBM's original 8088 PC from
off-the-shelf components.  Cheap and dirty.
--
Michael Vester
A credible Linux advocate

"The avalanche has started, it is
too late for the pebbles to vote"
Kosh, Vorlon Ambassador to Babylon 5

------------------------------

From: "stevekimble" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2001 23:49:16 +0100

"Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:AsxS6.78121$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "Stephen S. Edwards II" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:6NwS6.1047$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Patrick Ford" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Oh how very unfortunate for you. Where have you spent your life? Have
you
> > > been in a monastry?
> >
> > Americans tend to live in America, Einstein.
> >
> > Even if we do visit the old world, we don't
> > necessarily pick up on all of the cultural
> > nuances.
> >
> > "Taking the piss", "taking the mickey", and
> > "pulling your tit" are not common phrases in
> > the U.S.
> >
> > And tell me, oh culturally superior one,
> > can you tell me what these words mean in
> > America?  I'll do you a favor, and list
> > the answers anyway.
> >
> > fag
> > funny car
> > curbie
> > basket case
> > english muffin
> > phat
> > stud
> > JAP
> > nuking
> > whoopass
> > axe n' amp
> > tube
> > grunge
> > lemon
> >
> > You might know some, or all of these terms,
> > but my point is, every culture has terms
> > and phrases that they use, and scoffing at
> > someone just because they aren't familiar
> > with your culture is just as bigoted as
> > someone scoffing at you because _of_ your
> > culture.
> >
> > Us Yanks don't typically use words like
> > "roller", or "rogering", or "doxy", or
> > "flat", or "taking the piss" regularly.
> >
> > So lay off, Newzy.
> >
> > <TRIVIA>
> > "Shit man, that honkey muff be messin' my
> > ol' lady... he got to be running cold,
> > upside down his head, ya know what I'm
> > sayin'?"
> >
> > Okay folks, what movie is this from?
> >
> > I'll give you all a hint:  Zucker
> > </TRIVIA>
> >
> > > Oh all right, I will tell you. .
> > >
> > > "Taking the piss" means pulling your leg, pulling your tit,
> > > poking fun, taking the mickey out of you, teasing you, making a joke
of
> > > you.
> >
> > > It's very English, but is also used in Australia and New Zealand, and
> > > probably Canada. IOW, most of the English-speaking world.
> > >
> > > "Seppo" means American. It  is strictly a Strine word, but is also
known

> > Ah.  Sort of like "Frenchie", or "Crout",
> > or "Crumpet", or "Scotty", or "Newzy"?
> >
> > > and used to a minor extent in New Zealand. It was formulated from
modified
> > > Cockney rhyming slang  with Ocker compulsive abbreviations (abbro)
imposed
> > > on it in what is now   unique Strine rhyming slang, quite different
from
> > > the Cockney "Halligan's goat", "plates o' meat"  style.
> > >
> > > "WTF?", a Seppo abbreviation for "What the fuck?"
> >
> > No.  WTF is an internet abbreviation for "What The Fuck?"
> > You know, that thing that us dumb Yankies developed as DARPAnet.
>
> I'm sure the brits will have some concocted story about how
> they REALLY invented the Internet first and Europe had had
> the WWW years before the FTP rfc was even submitted.

No, but I've got one about the Brits capturing the Enigma machine on Uxxx
(can't
remember it's number - sorry) and not the Yanks, as per the movie. A good
story
it is too, probably something to do with it being based on fact. Sorry for
being
totally off topic, Chad, but I've been desperate to get this one in
somewhere; you
know how it is with us in the Old World, always trying to put one over you
ex-colonials......

> -c

Regards, Steve

------------------------------

From: Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Chicken and egg problem
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 16:25:26 -0700

flatfish+++ wrote:

> On Tue, 5 Jun 2001 23:57:51 +0200, "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> Part of the death knoll to OS/2 was when Wordperfect introduced WP for
> OS/2 and it was actually a Windows program that was not as good as the
> Windows version.
>
> Best Wordpro at the time for OS/2 was Describe.

I agree. Describe was the best wordpro at that time.

> IBM made a tough decision and chose to maintain backward compatibility
> and to support Windows applications and it turned out to be the wrong
> decision because there was no reason to run Windows applications under
> OS/2 when people could run them under Windows.

Again, I agree.

> I have always believed that if IBM had cut the cord and went a
> straight OS/2 path we might all be running OS/2 now instead of
> Windows.

Also, they charged way to much for their SDK and they did nothing to
inspire the developer community.

From: Larry Elmore <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 22:59:06 GMT

Fred K Ollinger wrote:

> I don't think that being literal minded is bad when dealing with a computer.
> They take everything literally.  Only those who are afraid to talk about the
> details of something need to rely on bad analogies. Analogies can be used to
> clarify a point, not to prove one, if they are the only proof.

But it _wasn't_ the only argument, though the other half was previously
snipped.

> Better not
> to rely on analogies at all when the results of analyzing the actual case
> make things clearer.  Most of us understand computers well enough, as
> well as marketing to know when we've been conned by an unfair pricing
> scheme.  Noise about auto analogies will not change our minds.

Okay, fine, scrap the analogy. _Again_, where's the big savings between
buying a computer with Windows and without? What does it _actually_
amount to? Noise about "unfair pricing schemes" won't wash since the
courts quashed that some years ago. If manufacturers/dealers want to
sell machines without an OS, no one's stopping them. If you're good
enough to install an OS, you can certainly build your own machine easily
enough.

Larry

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the
Date: Tue, 05 Jun 2001 19:13:54 -0400

JS \\ PL wrote:

> "drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Tue, 5 Jun 2001 01:17:08 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> >  ("JS \\ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
> >
> > >"The Queen of Cans and Jars" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > >I don't think you can even find a new hard drive as small as what Window
> XP
> > >would require (1.5gb). I don't think you can even find a new processor as
> > >small as what Windows XP will require (233mhz). The minimum requirement
> is
> > >basicly an old computer with (maybe) a $30 memory boost.
> >
> > Why the hell does it require 1.5Gb? I can install linux easily in
> > 500Mb on a 100mhz,
>
> Then do it. Due to the fact that no one company has ever and can never
> possess a monopoly on operating systems your perfectly free to NOT use
> Windows XP.

Microsoft does, by definition, have a monopoly in the desktop OS market.

--
Rick

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: UI Importance
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:15:55 +0100

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001 14:00:13 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Woofbert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> How do you teach the nitty gritty of software engineering
>> to a kid born with USB mouse in his hand?
>
>No me, I tend to give assignments like:
>
>#include <stdio.h>
>int main(){
>    unsigned int intArr[10],i;
>    for (i=0;i<10;i++) {
>        i[intArr] = !!i;
>        printf("%u ",i[intArr]);
>    }
> return 0;
>}
>

>What is the the output of this program?
>

>You *see* why I'm not a good teacher? (Although, after one of *my* classes,
>they will be able to read *anyone's* code.)

What's 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 supposed to mean?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:15:56 +0100

On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 15:40:14 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jesse F. Hughes)) wrote:

>Josiah Fizer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>> Sure they can. Just open a sample image in a text program and copy out
>> the string of binary data you want to search for. Then paste it into
>> the "find in files" dialog box. It'll run real slow like but it will
>> work.
>>
>> However I still dont see why you would want to do this.
>>

>Suppose I have thousands of photos of ice cream trucks.  Suppose I
>want to find all of the photos of Good Humour trucks (a particular
>company among many companies).  Now, how does your method work?
>
>I think you misunderstood what he meant by content.  He did not mean
>sorting based on the occurrence of a particular string of binary
>data.  Images are (often) images *of* something.  He wants to sort
>according to what these images represents (something that your
>algorithm certainly doesn't do -- I'm not sure that any current
>algorithms exist for this task).

A MUCH simpler way would be to name your fils properly.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:15:57 +0100

On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 15:44:23 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Macman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> One of the most popular tasks is to move all files from a directory to
>> a floppy. On a CLI that's merely "cp * /f". What could be simpler?
>> Clicking/selecting away in a file manager?
>
>Just to set the fact straight.... you've left out an important part.
>
>First you have to migrate to the relevant directory, then copy the
>files. Or, yo have to "cp /sdfdlj/ldal/lsdkjfaldjfa/dljfa/* /f"

Oh yes, "cd $fd" to go to the directory.

>Of course, you're also assuming that one will generally want to move all
>files. In my experience, that's by far less common than moving just some
>of the files.

Yes, something like "*.doc" or "*.jpg" would be much more common.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Windows XP Ushers in New Era of Communications
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:15:58 +0100

On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 12:15:29 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("wgaf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Computers process applications, be that word processing, photo editing, CAD,
>etc. Communication is part of computing, be that email, sharing files, etc.
>Integrating telephony services with the computers makes sense for some
>people. The modular design allows the users to select which feature they
>want to use. I fail to see how XP would destroy other businesses. If other
>products are better than Microsoft's, then they will have no problems.
>Following your logic, then IP telephony shouldn't exist either. There should
>be no reason to mix voice with data, right? After all, it might destroy
>phone companies.

That's a bad example.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best Distribution?
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:15:58 +0100

On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 15:37:04 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)) wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 16:03:57 +0100, drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> >/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
>> >r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
>> >d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage
>>
>> But what the hell is all this?
>
>Postscript code.

Who the fuck puts postscript code in their sig?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:15:59 +0100

On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 16:11:24 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>drsquare wrote:
>> >If you have your whole email address at some point, some automated
>> >software will pick it up and start spamming you. That's why there's lots
>> >of wired variations, such as mine,below.
>>
>> >(u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)
>>
>> So this translates to [EMAIL PROTECTED] ?
>
>Well that's one to the spammers then. I am sure Edward will thank you
>for that!

I'm sure he will.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SourceForge hacked!
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:15:59 +0100

On 5 Jun 2001 06:57:53 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Tim Smith)) wrote:

>On Sat, 02 Jun 2001 13:40:27 +0100, drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>Who said I had a qwerty keyboard?
>
>You implied it.

When?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:16:00 +0100

On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 15:11:03 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Donal K. Fellows" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>drsquare wrote:
>> Standard qwerty keyboards are for queers. The layout on mine is far
>> superior.
>
>Your keyboard layout makes you feel spiritually and sexually secure?

It does indeed.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compiling Knews was: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:16:01 +0100

On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 14:46:58 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>On 05 Jun 2001 02:19:19 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
>wrote:

>>Thats easily done,
>>1/ run 'configure'
>>2/ 'make'
>>3/ 'make install'
>

>Assuming the old etra "/" at the end of line 4666 in the config file
>doesn't screw him.

And assuming the 60000000 bugs in the windows installer doesn't screw
him.

>>Three commands in a CLI, its easy as.
>
>vs one click

Please explain how you can install something in one click.

>>> and so forth.
>>
>>Of course, so get Linux pre-installed, and if you can't, write the
>>Justice Department.
>
>I asked the boys over at CompUSA and they don't have any Linux
>pre-installs.

Oh no, I bet Linux users all over the world are shitting themselves at
this piece of news.

>The ones I have found on the internet are way over priced expecially
>considering the OS is supposed to be free.

I'm sure it is.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:16:02 +0100

On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 16:35:30 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 16:04:02 +0100, drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:

>>Please explain how, and how this would be different to windows.
>
>setup.exe
>
>vs
>
>Good luck

Sorry, but you've snipped the rest of the post, so I have no idea what
you're replying to.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:16:02 +0100

On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 15:06:36 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] ()) wrote:

>On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 16:04:03 +0100, drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>Its called *humour* (sometimes) so lighten up please.
>>>
>>>Dr Square, I meant that as Agent is NOT free, someone had to pay for it,
>>>are you saying that is was a gift ?
>>
>>No, I cracked it.
>
>coward.  be a man and rob some liquor stores if you can't afford to
>pay it.

Yeah, but after all that drinking I doubt I'd have much look
downloading cracks.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:16:03 +0100

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001 12:55:11 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("JS \\ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >would require (1.5gb). I don't think you can even find a new processor as
>> >small as what Windows XP will require (233mhz). The minimum requirement
>is
>> >basicly an old computer with (maybe) a $30 memory boost.
>>
>> Why the hell does it require 1.5Gb? I can install linux easily in
>> 500Mb on a 100mhz,
>
>Then do it. Due to the fact that no one company has ever and can never
>possess a monopoly on operating systems your perfectly free to NOT use
>Windows XP.

But I think Bill has other ideas...

>>so what extra bonuses would I get with XP for that
>> extra processor and extra 1GB disk space?
>
>Start here to find out:
>http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/guide/featurecomp.asp

I will.