  Re: Linux dead on the desktop. (Chris Ahlstrom)

From: Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: UI Importance
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:14:01 GMT

In article <9fji5d$hb1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ayende Rahien"
<don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > Command history.
>
> Not needed because it's not in the GUI nature.

Yes, it is needed ... In text editors it would allow multiple undos.

--
Woofbert: Chief Rocket Surgeon, Infernosoft
email <woofbert at infernosoft dot com>

------------------------------

From: Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:17:30 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, drsquare
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 21:07:58 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> >> You can have warnings in a CLI as a matter of fact.
> >
> >Fine. I never denied that. What I said was in response to the false
> >statement that in "a GUI, where you don't even get any options, you just
> >get what you're given."
>
> You do. The only way you can change it is by using a somewhat sizeous
> in-program configurator, which is nothing but an inconvenience.

It's no easier to change the options available in a CLI program than in
a GUI program.

> >> The lay users deserve nothing but disrespect.
> >
> >Asshole.
> >
> >Oh! Was that disrespectful? I can't tell you how sorry I am.
>
> Where did that come from?

The history is right there for you to read. But because of your history
of demanding to misunderstand my position on user interfaces, I'll draw
you a picture.

You said, "The lay users deserve nothing but disrespect."

In response, I called you an asshole. Then I pointed out that I did so
because it was disrespectful, just the same treatment as you advocated
for lay users.

From: Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:19:48 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 21:01:39 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> >> You'd rather use a program that forces you into a certain ui, than be
> >> able to change it to your own specifications?
> >
> >Yes. I'd rather have a program made to a good usable UI that follows
> >common standards that make sense than have a program that I have to
> >"customize" merely so it follows what everybody else is doing.
>
> Even if you don't agree with what everyone else is doing? Sorry, but I
> don't do things just because everyone else does, I like to do things
> the way I want to do them. Unlike you, I am not a sheep.

Difference for difference's sake is a stupid basis for interface design.
Do you write man pages with your own special format? Do you insist that
your configuration files use a different syntax than is standard for
your OS?

> >Finally, skins are not customization and are not a substitute for good
> >UI design.
>
> Who mentioned skins?

Remember talk of slime-mold interfaces? That was all about skins.

From: Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:20:53 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 20:48:24 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> >> They didn't HAVE to then, but doing so severely increased their
> >> efficiency, and decreased their dependency on PC World every time
> >> something went wrong.
> >
> >The class of people who bought Apple II, CP/M, and later DOS computers
> >is a subset of people who buy computers today. Macintosh, and later
> >Windows, brought computing to people who otherwise would not use
> >computers.
>
> Yeah, complete idiots

asshole.

From: Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:22:17 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 20:44:43 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> >> In a GUI there is no discipline, you just put thing where you want.
> >
> >There is no built-in discipline for where to put files in either style
> >of interface.
> >
> >Proof: Windows can run GUI as well as CLI, and both have facilities that
> >allow you to thoroughly hose your filesystem.
>
> Yes, but Windows' CLI is a piece of crippled shite

You get no argument from me. DCL, which came earlier, was loads better,
and the various Unix shells are even way much better than that.

But even those interfaces can be badly done.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Kernel comparisions
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:30:11 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Edward Rosten
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Mon, 04 Jun 2001 21:40:06 +0100
<9fgo6n$de0$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> What is mmap, exactly? You can access partitions & harddisks directly in
>> NT (given that you've the permissions) using \Devide\PhysicalDisk# or
>> something like that.
>
>MMAP maps files in to memory for very  high speed access. You can also
>read physical devices in UNIX too, ed /dev/hda

Pedant point: mmap() does not (or should not) affect speed in any fashion;
it's merely very very convenient.  (Also rather dangerous, if one is
working within a cross-platform environment.)

If one does something like:

struct stat st;
int fd = open("somefile.dat", O_RDWR);
fstat(fd, &st);
int sz = st.st_size; sz += PAGESIZE-1; sz -= sz%PAGESIZE;
char * add = (char *) mmap(NULL, sz, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE,
        MAP_PRIVATE, fd, 0L);

(disclaimer: I haven't tested this; I'm writing it from the manpage)
then one can treat the file as though it were one big writable array,
if I've done this correctly.  But AFAIK there's little if any speed
diff -- although there is the possible that the translation layer
(fd => iostream, fd => FILE *) might do a buffer copy which will
slow that layer down.  However, it still has to load the file pages
from disk somewhere, unless they're already cached from another
read by somebody else.

One can do some interesting things if one uses
char * add = (char *) mmap(SomeAddressHere, st.st_size, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE,
        MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_FIXED, fd, 0L);

although one has to be very careful that SomeAddressHere is somewhere
"way out there", otherwise the map will fail and one will be left with
a NULL pointer.  But this would be a convenient, if very fragile,
method of implementing a "quickie load/save".  It's fragile because
if the developer changes the data structures used in the file, the
file becomes either corrupt or harder to read; one also has to take
into account various issues with endianity and structure alignment,
if one goes from one platform to another.  Woe betide the programmer
as well who doesn't ensure that *every* scrap of memory that he
wants to retrieve is put into the address space, either!  It's also
not clear that mmap() will work for files on network-mounted (NFS
or SMB) disks.

Another caveat is that writing beyond the end of the mapped array
doesn't automatically extend the file; one has to do that using
the usual write().  (Most likely, that's so mmap() doesn't have to
leave space at the end of the address range specified in case the
user does want to extend said file.)  One can of course munmap()
and mmap() again after extending; it might even be possible to
mmap() beyond the end of the first mapping, using the provided offset,
after extending the file (the fd, after all, is still open).

To me, this seems slightly bodgy, but might work for some.

There's also a MAP_SHARED, which may be of some use if
one has cooperating processes.  However, I for one am
not at all sure whether it is simpler to use Unix or IP sockets.
After all, if one is writing and the other simultaneously reading,
things could get *very* weird quickly.

>Ad usual, the names are rather terser :-) but if you don't know what they
>mean, you *really* shouldn't be messing with them. (Hey, who doesn't like
>dumping random data to random devices once in a while)

Dunno if mmap will work with /dev/[sh]dax, although that would be
interesting; it will not work with character I/O-based devices.

But I'd have to agree, mmap() is best left to those who can make
use of its quirks.  I know quite a bit about Unix, for example
(I've been working on Unix since 1970, and Linux since 99pl12 or so)
and yet I rarely use it.  Why?  Probably because I don't think it will
meet my needs.

[.sigsnip]

                    [select one]
                    You were expecting something relevant down here?
                    Would Emperor Palpatine approve of this?
                    Microsoft.  When it absolutely, positively has to act weird.
                    [ ] Check here to always compile your own software.
                    Does this message really exist?  Where?
                    The EAC doesn't exist, but they're still watching you.
                    This is my other .sig.
                    Yes, uptime & wall clock aren't in synch; I don't know why.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Best Distribution?
Date: 06 Jun 2001 00:29:42 GMT

On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 16:03:57 +0100, drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> I keep seeing people put different variations of their email address in
>>> their posts.  I'm new to the News Groups, so I was wondering if you
>>> would be so kind as to enlighten me about why this is done?  Sorry to be
>>> off topic, but, if it's a useful News Group hint, I'd like to know it.
>>
>>If you have your whole email address at some point, some automated
>>software will pick it up and start spamming you. That's why there's lots
>>of wired variations, such as mine,below.
>
>>(u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)
>
> So this translates to [EMAIL PROTECTED] ?

In his ferver to get himself kill filed, DrSquare finally
succeded ...

<plonk>
(yes my killfile really works)

>>/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
>>r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
>>d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage
>
> But what the hell is all this?

This is all the hell called Postscript, its a Forth-like printer
programming language.

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:26:58 GMT

In article <9fjk2m$jod$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ayende Rahien"
<don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Woofbert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > In article <9fieej$snh$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ayende Rahien"
> > <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > > No me, I tend to give assignments like:
> > >
> > > #include <stdio.h>
> > > int main(){
> > >     unsigned int intArr[10],i;
> > >     for (i=0;i<10;i++) {
> > >         i[intArr] = !!i;
> > >         printf("%u ",i[intArr]);
> > >     }
> > >  return 0;
> > > }
> > >

> > > What is the the output of this program?
> >
> > I think there's an error in your example. As written, I expect that to
> > cause a compilation error. 'i' is not an array, yet you access it as
> > one. Did you mean
>
> No, I meant it like it was written. It's a little trick in C that
> will get you fired if you snick it into production code.

And for good reason, too!

> When you use [], what happens is that the what is left to the
> brackets is added with what is in the brakets, and then accessed.
> There is *no* provisions on the location of the point & the location
> of the integer.

"Tricky" code of the type no maintenance engineer will touch.

> > and the array is superfluous.
>
> Why is it superflous?

Cause you don't need it to demonstrate the funky thing that !! does.
(You do for the funky thiung that [] does...)

#include <stdio.h>
int main(){
    unsigned int i;
    for (i=0; i<10; i++) {
        printf("%u ", !!i);
    }
 return 0;
}

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:34:08 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Stuart Fox
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Tue, 5 Jun 2001 13:33:28 +1200
<9fhcut$btv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
>message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>  NT and Win2k don't do symbolic
>> links,
>
>They can actually, and have done since 3.5 I believe. C: is a symbolic link
>to \\device\harddisk0 (usually).  WinObj from http://www.sysinternals.com
>will show you the Symbolic links used by the system.  Don't confuse - "don't
>use commonly" with "don't use at all", the functionality is there, just not
>widely used.

I'm not sure what level they're implemented at, though; they are
certainly not accessible at the filesystem level AFAIK, although
Cygwin tries to bodge thing a bit by showing .LNK files to
directories as symbolic links.  (It probably can do files, too.)
However, this is apparently a Cygwin-provided open() call, which may
be layered on top of WinObj -- but I don't think Open() (or is
it OpenFile()?) knows about .LNK files.  By contrast, a standard
Unix open() will transparently go right through a symbolic link.
(One uses lstat() or readlink() to read the link itself.)

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random symbolic link here
                    Microsoft.  When you're not aggravated enough.

------------------------------

From: "Christopher L. Estep" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:36:03 GMT

> Real word processor?  I thought he was talking about Word.  As an expert
> in PC wordprocessors, I can assure you that monopoly crapware, not lack
> of competence, is the problem here.

Define *real wordprocessor*, Max.  Word Perfect (or, as I call it today,
WordNotSoPerfect)? Been there, done that (in fact, I *taught* WordPerfect
before switching whole hog to Word back in 1995).

Star Office? (Max, it's available for Windows (and it's still free), but
can't compare feature-wise to Office 97, let alone either 2000 *or* the
just-released XP.)

SmartSuite? BWAHAHAHA! 1-2-3 is a joke; WordPro is worse than *WordPad*, for
crying out loud; and there is *still* no decent mail client.

Just *try* to assure me of your competence with a *real wordprocessor*, Max
(and tell me exactly which one, please!)

Christopher L. Estep

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: What Microsoft's CEO should do
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:44:15 GMT

On Tue, 5 Jun 2001 13:30:13 -0500, Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Why should it restart it?  If the GUI crashes, that means something is
> seriously wrong, and will likely just crash again.

Why?  There are many things that can cause a crash, and some of them can
be transient.  Like a bug in the GUI that makes it crash when a user app
gives it a bad parameter.  Restarting the GUI will solve the problem
until the user does the same sequence of actions again.

This would also give the user a handy way of resetting the hardware in
case it gets off track.  He could just kill the GUI task and let it
restart.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Windows advocate of the year.
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:44:31 GMT

On Mon, 04 Jun 2001 23:38:06 -0600, Robert Morelli
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Bob Hauck"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 10:36:51 +0100, Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> I think we should have a Wincvocate of the year nominated (it makes a
> >> change from nominating trolls).
> >> I would like to nominate Ayende Rahien.
>
> Is there some reason we need a Windows advocate of the year?

Why not?  We nominate the most annoying trolls all the time.

> > Seconded.  Honorable mention to Erik F.
>
> I only pop into this group occasionally.  The only name I actually
> recognize among the posts is Eric Funkenbush because I once
> had a frustrating exchange with him.

Yeah, he can be frustrating.  There are others that push my buttons
more, but YMMV.

> He invariably defends the company, sometimes maintaining implausible
> positions to do so.

Largely because of this.  He does appear to have a brain though, which
is more than you can say for a lot of folks here (on both sides).

> Does anyone know whether he is actually a professional shill for
> Microsoft (ala Stephen Barkto)?

I don't know what he does for a living.  I'm doubtful that there are
official paid shills in cola, although some of the Winvocates do have
financial ties to MS in the form of working for Microsoft Partners and
that type of thing.  Maybe some even work for MS, but I kind of doubt
that they get paid to post here.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 06 Jun 2001 00:40:40 GMT

On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 21:04:32 +0100, Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>If you have your whole email address at some point, some automated
>>>software will pick it up and start spamming you. That's why there's lots
>>>of wired variations, such as mine,below.

<snip>

>>>/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d
>>>f 5 -1 r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0
>>>rmoveto}for/s 15 d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for
>>>showpage
>>
>> But what the hell is all this?
>
> It's postscript.
>
> If you take the whole sig, () text included, but not the -- and run it
> through a PS interpreter, it will display the message in the sig in a
> more ornate manner. If you want to put it through a PS printer, you need
> to prepend the line:
>
> %!PS-Adobe-2.0
>
> before sending it to the printer.

I made a rosten.ps file and tried to view it under Ghostscript
but I had a few errors:-

Now I have a PS programming book, but havent had the need to learn it yet, so
ED ... what's wrong ?

......................errors..................................
Error: /rangecheck in roll
Operand stack:
   5   -1
Execution stack:
%interp_exit   .runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
2   %stopped_push   --nostringval--   2   3
%oparray_pop   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   false   1   %stopped_push
1   3   %oparray_pop   1   3   %oparray_pop
.runexec2   --nostringval--   --nostringval--   --nostringval--
2   %stopped_push

--nostringval--   --nostringval--
--nostringval--

Dictionary stack:
   --dict:906/941(G)--   --dict:0/20(G)--   --dict:54/200(L)--
Current allocation mode is local
Current file position is 97

...............rosten.ps..........................
%!PS-Adobe-2.0
/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}
for/s{15}d f/t{240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r
show}for showpage}d pop t

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Compiling Knews was: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: 06 Jun 2001 00:46:00 GMT

On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 14:39:14 GMT, flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 02:28:07 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie
> Ebert) wrote:
>

>>Ah now wait a minute Flatfish.
>>
>>You've been telling people for months now that Linux is
>>a peice of shit and won't even install on your machine.
>
> You have me mixed up with someone else.

No he hasn't and your refutation is total bs.
"Steve,Mike,Heather,Simon,teknite,keymaster,keys88,Sewer Rat,
S,Sponge,Sarek,piddy,McSwain,pickle_pete,Ishmeal_hafizi,Amy,
Simon777,Claire,Flatfish+++,Flatfish"

> I haven't had a problem
> installing Linux on a machine since RedHat 5.0.

Oh.... this is a keeper, it will look good on the end of your list
of fake id's!

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 06 Jun 2001 00:48:07 GMT

On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 14:42:25 GMT, flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 05 Jun 2001 02:14:41 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
> wrote:
>

>>I have tried to set up *two* Windows users, over the phone, to install
>>and configure Free Agent. Both failed miserably at the configure stage,
>>and every Linux advocate knows why.
>
> They must have been real idiots.
One was a nurse, the other wasa university student, how quick you are
to blame the Windows users. If its any consolation they felt they were
idiots also.

I suppose a university education isnt enough to use Windows?

> Setup.exe
> 1.Please Enter your Newserver Name.
> 2.Please enter your Pop server.
> 3. Please enter your name. ( Maybe this is the one they had trouble
> with?)
> 4.Shall I go online and retrieve a list of groups?
>
> That's real tough....

Must be.

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:52:01 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Edward Rosten
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Mon, 04 Jun 2001 21:26:08 +0100
<9fgnch$d4v$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>> Case in point. :-) :-) :-)  Been there, done that, wore the S-Thirt. :-)
>>
>> (Thank goodness for the Backspace key.)
>                          ^^^^^^^^^
>
>Obviously, you're *not* a real programmer.

*grin* Nope -- just a well-paid one. :-)

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random money here
                    This message is way too short to tell you the wonderful ...

From: Chris Ahlstrom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:52:37 GMT

"Christopher L. Estep" wrote:

> Just *try* to assure me of your competence with a *real wordprocessor*, Max
> (and tell me exactly which one, please!)

Adobe Framemaker and LaTex come to mind (though I'm not competent
with either, I hear those products mentioned as supporting
bigggg docs.)

Chris