Linux-Advocacy Digest #13, Volume #35             Wed, 6 Jun 01 19:13:07 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Compiling Knews was: Linux beats Win2K (again) (flatfish+++)
  Re: Chicken and egg problem (flatfish+++)
  Re: XP - what's for me? ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Laugh, it's hilarious. ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Best Distribution? ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: UI Importance ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: UI Importance ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: Linux beats Win2K (again) ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: SourceForge hacked! ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: XP - what's for me? ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: What Microsoft's CEO should do ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: What Microsoft's CEO should do ("Erik Funkenbusch")
  Re: Compiling Knews was: Linux beats Win2K (again) ("Gary Hallock")
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux  starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (Stephen Edwards)
  Re: Argh - Ballmer (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: UI Importance (Dave Martel)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux  starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (Stephen Edwards)
  Re: UI Importance (Dave Martel)
  Re: XP - what's for me? ("Ayende Rahien")
  Re: MS at it again (Charlie Ebert)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (The Ghost In The
Machine)
  Re: Windows advocate of the year. (Charlie Ebert)

From: flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compiling Knews was: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 22:15:31 GMT

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001 23:22:35 +0200, "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>>  Stuart Fox <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> > Wordpad is your friend for reading Unix formatted text.  It's to do with
>the
>> > way line breaks are handled on *nix and WIndows.  *nix uses a CR (I
>> > believe), while Windows using a CR LF.
>
>Just a technical note:
>Unix indeed uses CR (Carrige return, or \n) for ending line of text.
>But Windows uses LF CR (Line Feed Carrige Return, or \r\n) for ending a line
>of text.
>Not CR LF.
>
>ISTR that Macs uses LF, (\r) only, but I can't recall where I've heard it.

Point is newie double clicks on fie and Windows chokes so he picks
notepad which aslo chokes.

Why not make the damm file *.txt I mean aren't we trying to convert
Windows users?

flatfish+++
"Why do they call it a flatfish?"

------------------------------

From: flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Chicken and egg problem
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 22:17:05 GMT

>    They seem to have learned better now.
>
>    IBM is giving away accounts on a z900 to Linux developers wanting to
>    port their apps from x86 to S390 instruction sets.
>
>    http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-6006251.html?tag=dd.ne.dht.nl-hed.0

The NEW IBM :)

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: XP - what's for me?
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 17:20:28 -0500

"Rob Dijkshoorn" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9fks4n$79e$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> schreef in bericht
> news:TKlT6.8411$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > Do you believe MS should have the license
> > > to essentially take over the internet
> > > with .NET and replace the current world
> > > powers who are regulating it's functionality?
> >
> > Do you see MS owning domain name registrars?  Do you see them owning
> > internet backbones like Sprint or Worldcom or AT&T?  Do you see them
> owning
> > ICANN or NSI?  Do you see any way for them to usurp this power without
> > owning all such bodies?  I certainly don't.
>
> Oh come on, you can't seriously mean that. Where was Microsoft on the
> internet map 5 years ago and where are they now? Nowadays the majority
uses
> IE. Soon we will see IIS take over apache as the dominant web server on
big
> sites, which means non-ms browsers will become less and less useful. This
> already happened in the UK, where MS built a governement website wich is
> accessable only with IE on Windows.

You're confusing several issues.  The first is that the technology used to
access the internet is different from the technology which runs the
internet, and the companies which do so.

Second, your facts are wrong about the UK website, many Macintosh and even
linux users have been able to access it, the problem is with the 128 bit
security which the site requires, not because of any specific MS extensions.

> The same conts for mobile devices. Where was microsoft in the mobile
devices
> market 3 years ago? Now they have a special server for mobile devices
> (Mobile Information Server), they have browsers for pocket devices, apps
for
> pocket devices and soon that part will be taken over bij MS as well.

3 years ago they had most of those things as well.  I have a Circa 1997 CE
machine which has IE on it.

> As soon as MS controls most major ways to both use the internet and
publish
> on the internet, it is time for the next step: to take over network
> providers. Why do you think MS holds interests in every major broadband
> provider? And in most major cable networks? I am afraid of a total MS
> monopoly on communication. You'd better too. There is too much at risk not
> to be afraid.

AOL owns most of the cable networks, and MS doesn't own an interest in that,
AT&T owns the majority of the rest, and MS doesn't own any major interest in
that either.  Where are you getting your facts?

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.aol-sucks,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Laugh, it's hilarious.
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 01:06:55 +0200

http://www.jokeaday.com/7letters.shtml

It's on a mailing list I'm subscribe to.
The post-master sent an email about AOL.EXE being a virus, and urge people
to delete it, and post some of the replies in the above URL.

Here are a couple of the most amusing replies:

"I beleive that this is a hoax. Isn't AOL.exe a vital component to the
window's operating system? "

"No!! Any file ending in .EXE is a necessary file to your computer. Wherever
you got that information they're wrong. You need that file. I have learned
this the wrong way. Don't delete any file ending in .EXE Please pass this on
to everybody."

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best Distribution?
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 01:08:37 +0200

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 19:49:37 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine))
> wrote:
>
> >In comp.os.linux.advocacy, drsquare
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> >>Who the fuck puts postscript code in their sig?
> >
> >Some people put 3-line perl scripts in their .sig; same issue.
> >(In some cases with perl, though, it's a munition -- or was; the
> >3-line perl script is an encryption algorithm in violation
> >of ITAR or EAR or whatever it is now.  Hopefully the Bush
> >Administration has half a clue, here; Clinton finally got
> >it after 8 years, but it's distressing it took so long.  :-) )
>
> In that case, I've got a 3 line perl script I'd like to show to
> kulkis:
>
> while(1) {
>  print "FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!"
> }

It won't compile.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: UI Importance
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 01:13:06 +0200

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Wed, 6 Jun 2001 20:31:59 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> IF you already know how it works.
> >
> >And if you don't, you'll search for the info.
> >Point of the excersize completed.
> >If you don't search for the info, then another point of the excersize was
> >completed. You aren't fit to be a programmer.
>
> What's the point in the exercise at all if you have to search for
> everything afterwards?

That you learn how to search for the info.
    You need a photographic memory and a really funky brain to remeber
everything about computers. The average programmer doesn't even bother to
remember anything that he doesn't commonly use, they just use MSDN or the
equilent for their enviroment. If you can't do that, you can't program
anything of value, period.

This also teach you to some of the basics in C, as well.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 01:13:29 +0200

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Wed, 6 Jun 2001 20:32:52 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >right?
> >>
> >> And how do you specify them?
> >
> >Same way you do in CLI?
> >
> >command command_line_arguements
>
> And how do I type these arguments in?

Shortcut, run menu, CLI, etc.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 01:18:00 +0200

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On 6 Jun 2001 13:02:52 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (quux111)) wrote:
>
> >drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

> >> Why would it want to do that?
> >>

> >Why, because...
> >
> >...all your base are belong to us! (Badoom-cha!)
> >

> >Sorry.  I couldn't resist.
>
> I've heard that before a few times. What does it actually mean?

No idea, but it seems to consist a large precentage of /. posts.

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SourceForge hacked!
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 01:20:46 +0200

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 21:25:50 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine))
> wrote:
>
> >In comp.os.linux.advocacy, drsquare
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> >>I have no idea what you're on about with "dvorak", but I know my
> >>keyboard is superior to any others.
> >
> >The original reference was to a "qwertz" keyboard; the poster
> >probably meant "qwerty".  It refers to part of the
> >second row of keys (the first row has the digits).  I guess
> >it's more pronounceable than "asdfgh" or "zxcvbnm".  :-)
> >
> >Dvorak is a competing -- brand?  kind?  -- of keyboard which
> >has a more logical -- so its proponents say -- key layout (the
> >original qwerty was allegedly set up so hammers wouldn't jam in the
> >days of the manual typewriter, which is now a total non-issue,
> >even in typewriters, which have mutated into a cross between
> >a thermal (?) printer and a spell checker.  :-)  Truth be told,
> >I'm not even sure how much of an issue it was back in the old days,
> >as it's before my time...)
> >
> >Unfortunately, I learned touch-typing in qwerty in the 6th grade so
> >I'm not sure how much hope there is for me.
>
> It doesn't matter, you can just stick labels over the new keys so it
> looks like an old keyboard.

It wouldn't *act* like the old keyboard, you know!

This is how a dvorak looks like:
http://www.microsoft.com/enable/images/products/kbdvorak.gif

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 17:22:11 -0500

"Ian Pegel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9flr50$679$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:TKlT6.8411$
> > Is that a sentance?
>
> ...has that been spell-checked?
>
> LOL

I don't pick knits over spelling in most cases, since typos happen.  Hell,
Even words in the wrong places are fine or other such compositional errors,
but this wasn't.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What Microsoft's CEO should do
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 17:25:36 -0500

"Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9flpko$gjv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:dplT6.8403$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:9fkigd$jig$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:9fkd06$1eeg$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> crashes,
> that
> > >
> > > Okay, but why does it need the GDI to function correctly?
> > > What is the *point* in making the OS depended on the GDI?
> >
> > Many subsystems in Win32 use COM, and COM uses window messages to
> > synchronize what used to be called Apartment Threaded COM objects (now
> > called Single Threaded Apartments or STA's).  This allowed COM objects
> that
> > were written without reentrancy in mind to function correctly in the 32
> bit
> > model without having to rewrite them.
> >
> > Sadly, STA's are still all too common, and parts of the OS still use
STA's
> > in their own COM activities.
>
> Okay, I think I begin to undertand. But how does the GDI relate to windows
> messages?

Well, USER, which controls windows handles window messages, and USER is
dependant upon GDI even if (in this case) no actual graphics activities are
going on.

> In another post, you mentioned that the problem is in the GUI, not in the
> GDI, so I probably missed something.
> Does the GUI handle the windowing messages?

USER does, which is the GUI.  GDI is the graphics primitives.

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 17:27:26 -0500

"Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9flpl6$gjv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:GrlT6.8405$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:9fkigp$jig$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > >
> > > "Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> is

> can
> app
> > >
> > > There is a confustion here.
> > > In Windows, there is the GUI, which is handled by Explorer, and there
is
> > the
> > > GDI, which does the screen drawing.
> > > You can kill the GUI & restart it, but the GDI is the one that the
> system
> > is
> > > depended on.
> >
> > No, the GUI is not Explorer.  Explorer is simply a file manager.  The
GUI
> is
> > in USER, which manages windows and various other high level objects
> (menus,
> > widgets, etc..) while GDI is only graphics primitives (Display contects,
> > regions, lines, etc..)
>
> Okay, then what are we talking about here? The GUI in USER, or the GDI?
> What does Win32 relies on?
>
> Beside, I had the impressions that Explorer did at least some of the
> window's drawing, am I wrong here?

Yes, you're wrong here.  Explorer is only a file manager and desktop.  USER
is the GUI, GDI is the drawing primitives which USER uses to create windows.

Both USER and the GDI are in kernel space.

------------------------------

From: "Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 18:40:46 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "flatfish+++"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Point is newie double clicks on fie and Windows chokes so he picks
> notepad which aslo chokes.
>

> Why not make the damm file *.txt I mean aren't we trying to convert
> Windows users?

It is a text file.  Windows just insists on requiring that extra CR when
the rest of the world does not.   And why does Windows still default to
notepad for text files?   I have lost count of the number of times I have
tried to view a text file on Windows and it defaults to using notepad
which then chokes - and these are Windows files, not a text file from a
Linux install disk.

Gary

alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux  starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen Edwards)
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 22:44:39 GMT

Seven rabid koala bears with eucalyptus spittle dribbling from their
mouths told me that [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Condon) wrote
in <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>Stephen Edwards wrote:
>
>>No, I'm a proud Yank.  And the very notion that
>>a person should not be proud of his or her nation
>>is absurd.  Everyone should be proud of their
>>heritage, and their home.
>
>Why? It's just where you born. It's not like you achieved anything. Your
>parents fucked, and out you popped. It could have been anywhere. So just
>keep that image in mind, next time you feel patriotic, just visualise
>your father hunched over your mother. Which is all it comes down to,
>really.

Remember that, when the Chinese police
are knocking at your door, and intend to
take you away for questioning.

Again, spoken like a true communist.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Argh - Ballmer
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 22:47:59 GMT

In article <7GlT6.8410$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

>> As a friend, take my advice, and bail out of this gracefully.  I've got
>> more IP than you've got pubic hairs.   If you persist, I will bury you.
>
>You mean as a moron.
>
>Admit that you're wrong.  You went of on a tangent without even realizing
>it.

Admitting your a moron compared to pretending to run FreeBSD
could be a graceful compromise Erik.

I'd take the man up on his offer, while there's still time.

--
Charlie
=======

------------------------------

From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 16:48:54 -0600

On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 21:42:59 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
(The Ghost In The Machine) wrote:

>>And on the CLI you'll have to memorize all of this options, the GUI allow
>>you to just see them.
>
>That's what manpages are for.  Nice try, though! :-)

And for our non-linux-using wintrolls, just a little reminder that
unlike DOS you can pop up another console for your manpages and switch
back and forth with a keypress. :)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen Edwards)
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 22:50:57 GMT

Seven rabid koala bears with eucalyptus spittle dribbling from their mouths
told me that [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>     [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen Edwards) writes:
>>
>> No, I'm a proud Yank.  And the very notion that
>> a person should not be proud of his or her nation
>> is absurd.  Everyone should be proud of their
>> heritage, and their home.
>
>Nationalism and religeous hate have caused more problems on this
>planet than anything else. I'm Scottish and proud of it but I

Where did I say that I hate anything?  I said
nothing of hate.  I'm talking about pride in
one's heritage and birthplace.  Why do people
always associate pride in oneself with bigotry,
or hatred?  Maybe because people like you are
so small-minded that you attribute your own
inability to set aside anger in favor of admiration
and understanding to everyone you meet?

>don't hate the English for what they have done in the past. I'm

Exactly my point.  You shouldn't "HATE" anyone.
You should "LOVE" your country, and what it
stands for.  Otherwise, leave it, and find one
you do love.

>all for getting away from nationalism. As a yank I would keep

If your Scottish ancestors had that attitude,
you wouldn't enjoy the kind of life you have
now.  Somerled must be turning in his grave
right now.

>quiet as your country doesn't have a very good record as far
>as most of the rest of the world is concerned (other than the
>despots you have aided in supressing their citizens).

*sigh*

You'd make a wonderful screaming liberal democrat
if you lived in the U.S.

------------------------------

From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 16:49:01 -0600

On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 16:11:40 GMT, "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Wed, 6 Jun 2001 17:00:13 +1200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>>  ("Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
>> >Give me an example of how it's crippled?
>>
>> No command history, no tab completion, leaving lines all over the
>> place, shitty shell scripting, shitty redirection, scrolling back up
>> the screen, less ability to customise the prompt, no starting
>> processes in the background, no ansi colours in prompt, I could go on,
>> but I won't
>
>Are you using Win98?
>
>The W2k CLI has command history, tab completion (or use the key of your
>choice), full redirection (stdin, stdout, stderr), can start processes in
>the background, and my shells have 2000 lines of memory (the length is user
>programmable).
>
>There are things that the W2k command line doesn't have, and I could
>probably add quite a few significant things to your list. But, I won't.

Still leaving lousy shell scripting and a "choice" of only one shell.

BTW has MS implemented *real* regular-expression matching yet?

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 01:23:20 +0200

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:C0yT6.8483$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> AOL owns most of the cable networks, and MS doesn't own an interest in
that,
> AT&T owns the majority of the rest, and MS doesn't own any major interest
in
> that either.  Where are you getting your facts?

Thin air? Most of the facts in this newgroup seems to appear from there.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: MS at it again
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 22:51:52 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Larry Rosen wrote:
>AT&T FILES SUIT AGAINST MICROSOFT - [The Wall Street Journal, B18.]  AT&T
>claims in a lawsuit that Microsoft is distributing software programs through
>its Windows operating systems in violation of a patent AT&T holds on a
>digital speech coder.  AT&T contends Microsoft's TrueSpeech program, which
>decodes voice signals, and its NetMeeting program, which allows users to
>hold video and audio conference calls over the Internet, infringe a speech-
>coding patent issued to AT&T in 1984.  The programs are included in
>Microsoft's current version of Windows for consumers, Windows Me, and
>Microsoft's Windows NT Internet information server.  AT&T maintains it
>notified Microsoft in April 1999 that the software giant was infringing
>AT&T's patent.  Although AT&T has offered to license the patent, Microsoft
>has refused a licensing arrangement, the suit claims.  The suit, filed
>Monday in Manhattan federal court, seeks a permanent injunction barring
>Microsoft from "continued acts of infringement" and an unspecified amount in
>damages.  AT&T also seeks an assessment from the court that Microsoft
>willfully infringed AT&T's patent, which would triple damages under federal
>statutes.  [Print, wire, broadcast and online coverage elsewhere.]
>
>--
>Larry Rosen
>System & Network Administrator
>Senior Technical Staff Member
>AT&T ANS-LOCAL NTWK ENGR & OPNS
>
>          /^>
>     ____/  \____
>    /            \
>   / / /      \ \ \
>  /\/\/\/\  /\/\/\/\
>         /  \
>'67 Firebird HO Convertible

Are you people getting as much as I am out of this?

When former monopoly targets of the government are filing
suits against MS for infringement purposes doesn't this
kind of indicate to the absolutely blind that MS is an
overbearing monopoly which must be broken apart before
it's too late????

You know there's an old phrase, "It takes one to know one."

--
Charlie
=======

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 22:53:42 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, chrisv
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Thu, 10 May 2001 15:02:23 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>"Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>> Because stupid bigots like to rationalize their hatred of gays by
>>> blaming them for AIDS.
>>
>>No.  I merely refuse to associate with people who are so fucking suicidal.
>
>Again, the false logic from Kookis.  Homosexual != suicidal.
>Homosexuality != unprotected anal sex.  Idiot.

Sometimes I wonder; the bigotry here on Usenet is amazing.
I don't know if it's because of the "cloaking effect" (a
psych experiment suggests that people are more violent when
judging other people when the judger is hooded, cloaked,
or otherwise hidden), or if it's a reflection of society
as a whole.  Probably a little of both.

Maybe I'm just too genteel... :-)  Aaron may be technically
competent in some areas (heck, I wouldn't know the first thing
about building nuclear power plants, operating heavy construction
machinery, flying an X-15 experimental plane, or shooting a
heavy automatic weapon [*]), but the social skills appear to be
slightly lacking with respect to homophobia (or, more accurately,
"homosexualityphobia").

Why are they so threatening?  I'd be more threatened by a
vixen who's 6'5", statuesque, chasing me with a leather whip/bolo,
a fedora, leather vest, and leather hip waders, than some homosexual
in a bar sipping whatever and trying to proposition some of the other
gentlemen there.  And yet, the gentlemen will flock to the
quasi-Amazon [+] to attempt to seduce her (good luck, guys; you'll
need it!) and to the homosexual to beat him to a bloody pulp with
a baseball bat.

Go figure!

[*] Four skills I do *not* have, picked more or less at random.
    Dunno if Aaron has them.  My speciality is building, maintaining,
    and debugging application-level computer software.

[+] Amazons only had one breast; the other was removed for better
    archery, as I understand it.  Presumably which breast was removed
    depended on whether she was right or left handed. :-)
    (This could also be an urban legend.  I'd have to look.)

    See also Lucy Lawless, although I don't think she's 6'5".
    But aren't movie and TV stars supposed to be "larger than life"? :-)

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random "Xenaphobia" here
                    Hi.  What's your sign?  Mine's "Out To Lunch".

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Windows advocate of the year.
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 22:54:59 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Ray Chason wrote:
>"Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>I can't believe nobody has yet nominated Aaron Kulkis.
>>
>>Well, anyway, I nominate Aaron as first runner-up in case the winner is
>>unable to serve in his official capacity.  Really, how many of the
>>uninitiated here have wondered whether Aaron is actually a Winvocate in
>>disguise?  Besides, I enjoy Aaron's subtle yet informative posts and think
>>he should get some kind of recognition for all his efforts.
>
>Kooklis at least sometimes knows what he's talking about, and I'd
>gladly take him out of my killfile if he'd lose that pile of spam that
>he calls a sig and if he'd learn to snip properly when quoting.
>
>My nomination for Winvocate in a Tux is Ebert.  Sometimes I wonder if
>that man is sane.
>

>--
>         PGP public key at http://www.smart.net/~rchason/pubkey.asc
>                            Delenda est Windoze

Well nobody thought you were insane when you suggested MS corp
HQ run ZONE alarm to stop the Asians from downloading XP.

That was a riot.

--
Charlie
=======