From: "Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compiling Knews was: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 18:53:59 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "flatfish+++"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The people at Linksys have got some type of a real problem with making
> their doc. match their disks.

This had nothing to do with docs.  The install disk was defective.  Like
I said, that is something that should be expected once in a while given
the poor reliabilty of floppy disks.  It was the Windows software that
detected a new device and went out looking for a driver that screwed up.
Windows should have done some sanity checks before starting the install.

> I had similar problems with their PCI 10/100 card in that the files were
> not in the directories that the install program was looking in.Couple
> that with some files already being their courtesy of Win98 se and it was
> a mess. I had to keep browsing the floppy every time it couldn't find a
> file until it found it and then move on to the next file and so forth.

So, you agree.  Linux just worked and Windows failed miserably,

> However, under Win2k everything just worked because I didn't need to use
> the Linksys disks because Win2k had everything built in.

Yeh, W2K works, unless you already have one NIC installed.   As I have
mentioned here before, when I installed an ethernet card on my Thinkpad,
it already had a working token ring card.   W2K refused to install the
ethernet and totally screwed things up with no rational error messages
until I uninstalled the token ring card and deleted all references to
TCP/IP.   But, once again, Linux just worked.   Why can't W2K handle
adding a second NIC?

> MAJOR difference in time.

And W2K still sucks, just for different rreasons than W98.

> So, I agree with you in this case.

Thankyou.

> As for Linux it's been a mixed bag. Mandrake found the card no trouble
> and even set up ICS all by itself which was great.
>
> SuSE keeps asking me about chipset's. Now what newbie is going to know
> what chipset is on the card? The chips on my card don't even have any
> markings that would give a clue because they seem to be in house chips.
>
> Redhat 6.1 also wanted to know about chipsets.
>
> Linksys says they support Linux on the side of the box, but then they
> send you to their website to download some ancient driver which didn't
> work for me.
>
> I guess it all depends.

The Linksys driver is part of the kernel in modern distributions.  Has
been for some time.

Gary

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Windows advocate of the year.
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 22:56:28 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 Paolo Ciambotti wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ray Chason"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> My nomination for Winvocate in a Tux is Ebert.  Sometimes I wonder if
>> that man is sane.
>
>Oh shit, Charlie is one of my heroes.  Nobody ever wonders what side of
>the fence he's on; he calls a spade a spade.  And sometimes a diamond or a
>club or a heart gets called a spade too.  Charlie cuts a wide swath.
>
>I had a meeting this morning where I wish I had Charlie on our team.  I
>would have loved to see the look on my CEO's face when Charlie accused him
>of sucking Bill Gates' oatmeal-covered genitalia for a breakfast snack.
>And it would have been even more fun if Charlie had got in the mood and
>started being actually insulting.
>
>Yeah, I'll vote for Charlie for whatever.  So... what are we gonna name
>these awards?  Emmy, Oscar, we too gotta have something catchy.

Ha ha ha!  I'm going to steal that.

Oatmeal-covered genitalia!  Ah!  HA!

--
Charlie
=======

------------------------------

From: Josiah Fizer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: UI Importance
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 15:56:00 -0700

On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 16:49:01 -0600, Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 16:11:40 GMT, "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>>> No command history, no tab completion, leaving lines all over the
>>> place, shitty shell scripting, shitty redirection, scrolling back up
>>> the screen, less ability to customise the prompt, no starting
>>> processes in the background, no ansi colours in prompt, I could go on,
>>> but I won't
>>
>>Are you using Win98?
>>
>>The W2k CLI has command history, tab completion (or use the key of your
>>choice), full redirection (stdin, stdout, stderr), can start processes in
>>the background, and my shells have 2000 lines of memory (the length is user
>>programmable).
>>
>>There are things that the W2k command line doesn't have, and I could
>>probably add quite a few significant things to your list. But, I won't.
>>

>Still leaving lousy shell scripting and a "choice" of only one shell.
>
>BTW has MS implemented *real* regular-expression matching yet?

How is there only one choic of shells? I use TCSH on my Windows 2k
box.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 22:57:18 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rotten168 wrote:
>Paolo Ciambotti wrote:
>>
>> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ray Chason"
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> > My nomination for Winvocate in a Tux is Ebert.  Sometimes I wonder if
>> > that man is sane.
>>
>> Oh shit, Charlie is one of my heroes.  Nobody ever wonders what side of
>> the fence he's on; he calls a spade a spade.  And sometimes a diamond or a
>> club or a heart gets called a spade too.  Charlie cuts a wide swath.
>>
>> I had a meeting this morning where I wish I had Charlie on our team.  I
>> would have loved to see the look on my CEO's face when Charlie accused him
>> of sucking Bill Gates' oatmeal-covered genitalia for a breakfast snack.
>> And it would have been even more fun if Charlie had got in the mood and
>> started being actually insulting.
>>
>> Yeah, I'll vote for Charlie for whatever.  So... what are we gonna name
>> these awards?  Emmy, Oscar, we too gotta have something catchy.
>
>Yeah I'd definitely nominate Aaron... he's threatened to kill Bill Gates
>3 times since I've been in here, and he's made numerous threats against
>other people. Not only that but the guy is a total loon... I finally
>decided to take him off my killfile when I realized the fun I was
>missing trying to get him to admit he was posting from a Windows
>machine.
>
>And Ebert... God what a nutcase. He seems to have a fascination with
>"shoving things up peoples _sses". Go research it on Deja.com, I
>wouldn't make that up. His fowl, crude, and low-brow statements make
>into my dictionary of some of the funniest USENET drivel I've ever seen.

Well, so long as I'm not accused of wanting to kill anybody.
I think that's okie dokie.~

--
Charlie
=======

alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux  starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen Edwards)
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 22:57:43 GMT

Seven rabid koala bears with eucalyptus spittle dribbling from their mouths
told me that [EMAIL PROTECTED] (drsquare) wrote in
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 15:14:12 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen Edwards)) wrote:
>
>>Seven rabid koala bears with eucalyptus spittle dribbling from their
>>mouths told me that [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Patrick Ford) wrote in

>>>You're weird!
>>
>>No, I'm a proud Yank.  And the very notion that
>>a person should not be proud of his or her nation
>>is absurd.  Everyone should be proud of their
>>heritage, and their home.
>
>You're right. Everyone should be proud of something which happened by
>complete chance and they have no control over. Everyone should be
>proud that by chance they live within a certain set of political
>boundaries. That makes so much sense.

*sigh*

If this is the normal way of U.S. thinking, then I'm
going to start learning how to speak Chinese, because
they will kick our asses if we ever go to war.

This spineless attitude of yours is pathetic.  I love
this country, because I live in it, and I've seen how
great it can be.  If I didn't like it here, I'd live
somewhere else, and likely find admiration in that other
place.

I don't love the U.S. because "I was born here by chance".
I love the U.S. because I've seen the alternatives, and
they suck in comparison.

I'm sick of working-class union-types, who think that
being American is about being a worker all your life.

Being an American is about achieving greatness, on your
own, like in the old days, when people knew what they
had.  If you think that there's no reason to love the
US, then I'd suggest that you go and live in China for
a few years, and then we'll see what you have to say.

If you don't understand that, then you are a spineless
coward.

Godammed fucking linguini-spined coward liberals just
piss me off... GRRR!@#

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: XP - what's for me?
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 22:58:09 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rotten168 wrote:
>Charlie Ebert wrote:
>>
>> The largest thing inside MS's XP is it's software
>> piracy prevention, detection and reporting features.
>>
>> Your paying $300 + dollars for an upgrade so that
>> MS can spy on you.  Sell your name on a list of
>> software pirates to be prosecuted by attorneys.
>> Interfere in your everyday privacy.
>>
>> That is what 30% of XP is.
>
>Is it? Exactly how is XP spying on us again?
>
><madness snipped>
>

>--
>- Brent
>
>"General Veer, prepare your underpants for ground assault."
>- Darth Vader
>
>http://rotten168.home.att.net

It senses when connected to the internet by attempting to
contact MS servers upon installing any software and gives
HQ a copy of all installed software shown in registry.

--
Charlie
=======

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 22:59:20 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Edward Rosten
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Tue, 08 May 2001 15:07:50 +0100
<9d8r2e$nh8$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>>> If homosexuality is such a sead end, how come it keeps cropping up n
>>> many, many formes of life, after hunderds of million years have, by
>>> your argument tried to get rid of it.
>>>
>>> If it's still here, there is probably a very god reason.
>>
>> Because, quite simply, most people who define themselves as homosexual,
>> or heterosexual, do so because of societal pressure, when in fact they
>> are probably bisexual with a preference.
>>
>> Bisexuals, even those with a strong preference for same sex contact, are
>> obviously capable of reproduction.
>>
>> Also, homosexual contact has distinct advantages for primitive cultures,
>> increasing the survival rating of the group.  Less so for more modern
>> cultures.
>
>Ok, lets think of a society where there are no social pressures, no
>influence, everyone just follows their instinct. Lets take a bee colony.
>
>Why do you get male bees who exclusively try to mate with other males
>(its rare, but it happens)?
>
>Your explanation doesn't cover this.

Shhh.  Don't tell the fundies; they'll want to pass a law requiring
beekeepers to check their hives...

:-)

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random more useful activity here
                    Linux.  The choice of a GNU generation.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen Edwards)
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 23:00:31 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 08:34:09 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>>> Still, one cannot deny that most of the best things
>>> in life were created right here in the good ol' U.S.
>>>
>>> Atomic Bomb
>>> Stealth Fighter
>>
>>F-117A A is a BOMBER, not a fighter.
>
>How is that relevant to the US inventing the stealth fighter?

It isn't.  And he's still wrong.  The
"F" denotes "Fighter".

Subject: Re: The usual Linux spiel... (was Re: Is Open Source for You?)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Allen)
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 23:01:04 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
GreyCloud  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I won't argue with you.  But who makes MRI equipment besides IBM and GE?
>I don't think MS has the resources or the know how to do it.  The point
>is is that it takes a cooperated effort among industrial giants to get
>hardware that is high tech built.  Look at Intel... do you honestly
>think they make everything themselves when manufacturing chips?  MS is a
>unique company that primarily markets O/S and software.

    They avoid medical uses because they know that they could not avoid
    responsibility for the failures.

    Laws would get passed quickly if too many lives were lost.  They
    fear that those laws would roll back some of the "not warranted for
    any purpose" shielding that their schemes depend upon.

    You can only keep the frog in the hot water if you increase the
    temperature slowly enough to keep beneath his awareness.

    Sudden changes might end the whole thing.  That is why they fear the
    GPL, freedom would remove enough stress to make even their current
    control oppressively noticeable.

--
Microsoft is trying to add to the list of biggest lies of all time:
"Hi. I'm from Microsoft and I am here to protect you from the threat of

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 23:02:37 GMT

In article <TKlT6.8411$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> The largest thing inside MS's XP is it's software
>> piracy prevention, detection and reporting features.
>
>As per charlies typical tricks, he doesn't clarify what he means by "XP".
>Is it Windows XP?  Office XP?

Appearenlty it makes a difference?

>> Your paying $300 + dollars for an upgrade so that
>> MS can spy on you.  Sell your name on a list of
>> software pirates to be prosecuted by attorneys.
>> Interfere in your everyday privacy.
>
>He says this without even understanding that XP's activation doesn't require
>a name to be used at all.

But wait!  You just said you don't know which
product I'm talking about Erik?  XP Office or Windows XP.

Doesn't it make you retarded to comment on something
your unsure of?

>> That is what 30% of XP is.
>
>A random figure pulled out of thin air.

If you looked at the feature list the security
adds up to 30% of the features.

This despite the fact the OS is 3 times the size
of NT.

>> Questions!
>
>Is that a sentance?

That's sentence Erik.

>> Should it be legal for MS to force all users
>> of Windows to submit to inhouse spying even
>> if it is in their EULA and they agreed?
>
>Nobody is spied upon.  The question is irrelevant because it's not true.

When you click the EULA upon install you are authorizing
their spying.  Page down.

>> Do you believe MS should have the license
>> to essentially take over the internet
>> with .NET and replace the current world
>> powers who are regulating it's functionality?
>
>Do you see MS owning domain name registrars?  Do you see them owning
>internet backbones like Sprint or Worldcom or AT&T?  Do you see them owning
>ICANN or NSI?  Do you see any way for them to usurp this power without
>owning all such bodies?  I certainly don't.

Oh fuck Erik.  You couldn't even see Evolution
being available on FreeBSD, the OS you know like
the back of your hand.

Your a total dumb butt.  Admit it Erik.

>> Do you believe foreign powers such as China
>> will eventually outlaw all Mircrosoft
>> products from their country to prevent
>> the US and Microsoft from dominating
>> the internet and making the world
>> an American's only club?
>
>It wouldn't be much of an internet if each country cuts themselves off from
>the rest of the world, now would it?

It would be the world cutting itself off from America.

The price of the OS alone is enough to cause a
stampeed of people away from computer stores everywhere!

--
Charlie
=======

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 23:03:40 GMT

In article <c2yT6.8484$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>"Ian Pegel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:9flr50$679$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message news:TKlT6.8411$
>> > Is that a sentance?
>>
>> ...has that been spell-checked?
>>
>> LOL
>
>I don't pick knits over spelling in most cases, since typos happen.  Hell,
>Even words in the wrong places are fine or other such compositional errors,
>but this wasn't.

Erik?

Can you spell dumb butt?

--