  Re: ease and convenience (*long* and possibly boring;-) (GreyCloud)

From: Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: UI Importance
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 00:09:25 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dave Martel
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 21:42:59 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> (The Ghost In The Machine) wrote:
>
> >>And on the CLI you'll have to memorize all of this options, the GUI
> >>allow
> >>you to just see them.
> >
> >That's what manpages are for.  Nice try, though! :-)
>
> And for our non-linux-using wintrolls, just a little reminder that
> unlike DOS you can pop up another console for your manpages and switch
> back and forth with a keypress. :)

Manpages are fine if you know what command you need to use to do
something. If you're tryting to do something you don't know the command
name for, you're lost ... you have to go to the manual and read through
every command's description until you find the one you want.

With a menu system, you can just search through the menus until you find
something that may be what you want.

--
Woofbert: Chief Rocket Surgeon, Infernosoft
email <woofbert at infernosoft dot com>

------------------------------

From: Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 00:09:41 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, drsquare
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Jun 2001 20:33:30 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> Why would you want to do that?
> >
> >That was sarcasm, it's quite prevelent in these newgroups, you better get
> >better recognizing it.
>
> Well, as they say, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit

No, that's the pun.

From: Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 00:10:21 GMT

<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Jun 2001 20:31:59 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> IF you already know how it works.
> >
> >And if you don't, you'll search for the info.
> >Point of the excersize completed.
> >If you don't search for the info, then another point of the excersize was
> >completed. You aren't fit to be a programmer.
>
> What's the point in the exercise at all if you have to search for
> everything afterwards?

What's the point of man pages?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray Fischer)
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 00:33:21 GMT

Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Ray Fischer wrote:

>> >So, if I hold someone's felonious behavior against them,
>>
>> Being a homosexual is not a felony, bigot.
>
>But it's even MORE revolting.

No, what's really revolting is your bigotry and your emotional
problems.

--
Ray Fischer         When you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  into you  --  Nietzsche

------------------------------

From: "Gary Hallock" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compiling Knews was: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 20:44:11 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "flatfish+++"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Point is, YOU know that. Now I know that. The icon displayed when the
> newbie double clicks on it doesn't match any Windows file formats. How
> is he supposed to know to pick Wordpad?
>
> User unfriendliness is something Linux is an expert at.

The point is he should't have to know.  The point is that notepad fails
for lots of reasons other than Linux text files.  The point is that if
Windows would just get out the 60s and default to wordpad then there
would be no problem.  The point is that Linux should not  have to tailor its
install files to some ancient version of notepad.  The point is that this
is a Windows problem, not a Liniux problem.

Gary

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Peter da Silva)
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: 7 Jun 2001 00:35:11 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Larry Elmore  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> It's not? You mean there actually _aren't_ any companies that now sell
> both Windows and Linux PCs? I'd have _sworn_ I'd read about several
> doing so. Must've just been propaganda. :)

Don't be silly.

I mean that for the end user it's no easier to buy a typical PC without
Windows than it was before the consent decree. I mean that Microsoft
doesn't actually force companies to sell Windows with every PC, but
they sure encourage it as hard as they can without stepping over the
line.

And I'm sure you know that. It'd be hard to miss it, unless you simply
haven't bought a consumer-grade PC in the last few years. In which
case, what on earth are you basing your reasoning on?

You're splitting hairs on the license, too:

> > Not without violating the license. The last PCs we bought, the license was
> > a sticker attached to the case. Even before that, it was labelled "Only for
> > sale with a new PC". Sometimes you don't even get physical media, you just
> > get a CD image on the second partition you can burn to a CD if you want.

> The license is in Windows itself, as well (try "Help").

I don't believe Microsoft considers that file to constitute a valid license
to use Windows on that PC. It's for information only.

--
 `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
  'U`    "A well-rounded geek should be able to geek about anything."

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Best Distribution?
Date: 07 Jun 2001 01:32:45 GMT

On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 15:39:38 GMT, flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 06 Jun 2001 04:25:34 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
> wrote:
>

>>Why aren't I in it, I know I've driven you to the point of
>>leaving COLA at times  ?
>
> You were for a week or so but it had nothing to do with me leaving
> COLA.
>
> I gave you a reprieve :)

Hahahaah, ah well, I did try!

:)

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Laugh, it's hilarious.
Date: 07 Jun 2001 01:52:09 GMT

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 01:06:55 +0200, Ayende Rahien <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> http://www.jokeaday.com/7letters.shtml
>
> It's on a mailing list I'm subscribe to.
> The post-master sent an email about AOL.EXE being a virus, and urge people
> to delete it, and post some of the replies in the above URL.
>
> Here are a couple of the most amusing replies:
>
> "I beleive that this is a hoax. Isn't AOL.exe a vital component to the
> window's operating system? "
>
> "No!! Any file ending in .EXE is a necessary file to your computer. Wherever
> you got that information they're wrong. You need that file. I have learned
> this the wrong way. Don't delete any file ending in .EXE Please pass this on
> to everybody."

Yesterday my Wife got an email warning about a particulary
nasty virus called SULFNBK.EXE, in fact it was so nasty that
none of the antivirus programs could detect the threat, said
the email from a member of her IRC channel.

Many people found and deleted this file from their Windows
boxes, one chap even deleted it from several pc's at his
club.

My Wife, who is a sensible person, asked me "Terry, if Norton
Antivirus didn't pick it up, whats going on? ", she was also
concerned about the date of the file, which was around 1996.

I advised her to do a search for this file on the net, and yes
Ayendie ;-) we found it was a normal Windows98 file, in fact it
is necessary to read long file names!

So now Windows users who live in fear of Virii, have *two* threats,
threats of virii, and threats of hoaxes!

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: 07 Jun 2001 01:54:12 GMT

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 01:18:00 +0200, Ayende Rahien <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On 6 Jun 2001 13:02:52 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>>  ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (quux111)) wrote:
>>
>> >drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
>> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

>> >Why, because...
>> >
>> >...all your base are belong to us! (Badoom-cha!)
>> >

>> >Sorry.  I couldn't resist.
>>
>> I've heard that before a few times. What does it actually mean?
>
> No idea, but it seems to consist a large precentage of /. posts.

Um I don't know for certain .... but it could refer to that popular
game Command and Conquer, and what you say after you've anhilated your
opponent on a network game :)

Not that I'm sure, you understand!

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 18:55:56 -0700

quux111 wrote:

> GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]:
>
> > Nick Condon wrote:

> >> Why? It's just where you born. It's not like you achieved anything.
> >> Your parents fucked, and out you popped. It could have been anywhere.
> >> So just keep that image in mind, next time you feel patriotic, just
> >> visualise your father hunched over your mother. Which is all it comes
> >> down to, really.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Nick
> >
> > Harsh , but to the point.
> >

> ...not.  This is exactly the kind of vitriol I try to stay out of, but the
> notion that patriotism is somehow pointless or wrong is repugnant.
> Patriotism (in the best sense) is nothing more than a sense of community
> and common purpose.  Cynics like those who posted above are generally
> malcontents who don't vote (if they live somewhere where people elect their
> leaders) but bitch all the time about how society is going to hell.
>
> When I call myself an American, it's not just because this is where I was
> born.  I am fully capable of moving someplace else if it's just a matter of
> "one place is pretty much like the next".  However, I happen to believe
> that being an American is more than that -- it's about a set of beliefs,
> ideals, ethics, and experiences that are unlike anywhere else in the world.
> And just about any *other* culture/nationality can make the same claim.
>
> That's why "home" has a special meaning to everyone.
>
> From A Proud Yank,
>
> quux111

Well put!  I've lived in Panama for a while... place was lacking
amenities and was just too hot and humid for me.  I also couldn't stand
to see the living conditions those poor people are living in.  When I
got back home finally, I could clearly see what this country really
represented and something one doesn't see until after they've lived
somewhere else.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: 07 Jun 2001 01:56:43 GMT

On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 21:10:19 GMT,
 The Ghost In The Machine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>Am I dreaming, I submit that "White Goods Software" is a better name
>>for this junk ???
>>
>>Next years Windows might have the optional egg timer, or
>>roast chicken basting brush!
>
> Of course!  How else will Microsoft go after the homemaker market?  :-)
> (The other question is: *why* would Microsoft go after the
> homemaker market.....)

Because all your appliances are belong to us ;-)

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 19:01:11 -0700

Stephen Edwards wrote:

> Seven rabid koala bears with eucalyptus spittle dribbling from their mouths
> told me that [EMAIL PROTECTED] (drsquare) wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 15:14:12 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> > ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen Edwards)) wrote:
> >
> >>Seven rabid koala bears with eucalyptus spittle dribbling from their
> >>mouths told me that [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Patrick Ford) wrote in

> >>No, I'm a proud Yank.  And the very notion that
> >>a person should not be proud of his or her nation
> >>is absurd.  Everyone should be proud of their
> >>heritage, and their home.
> >
> >You're right. Everyone should be proud of something which happened by
> >complete chance and they have no control over. Everyone should be
> >proud that by chance they live within a certain set of political
> >boundaries. That makes so much sense.
>
> *sigh*
>
> If this is the normal way of U.S. thinking, then I'm
> going to start learning how to speak Chinese, because
> they will kick our asses if we ever go to war.
>
> This spineless attitude of yours is pathetic.  I love
> this country, because I live in it, and I've seen how
> great it can be.  If I didn't like it here, I'd live
> somewhere else, and likely find admiration in that other
> place.
>
> I don't love the U.S. because "I was born here by chance".
> I love the U.S. because I've seen the alternatives, and
> they suck in comparison.
>
> I'm sick of working-class union-types, who think that
> being American is about being a worker all your life.
>
> Being an American is about achieving greatness, on your
> own, like in the old days, when people knew what they
> had.  If you think that there's no reason to love the
> US, then I'd suggest that you go and live in China for
> a few years, and then we'll see what you have to say.
>
> If you don't understand that, then you are a spineless
> coward.
>
> Godammed fucking linguini-spined coward liberals just
> piss me off... GRRR!@#

Well, I sure spent my civilian time on enough nuclear submarines keeping
stuff working and in repairs.  SubBase Bangor is now retrofitting to the
new trident IID missiles, and you should see all the whining communist
liberals protesting and blocking traffic.  These submarine sailors have
always kept a vigilant watch over the Chinese and proud of em.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ease and convenience (*long* and possibly boring;-)
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 19:04:58 -0700

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "Peter Hayes" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Sun, 3 Jun 2001 14:04:13 +0800, "Todd"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > <...>
> >
> > > But what if MS decides to add additional Win32 APIs to XP?
> > >
> > > What if MS decides to offer DirectX 10 to XP, but not to any other of
> there
> > > OSes?
> >
> > They will.
>
> No need to get to that.
> You seem to forget that XP has so many capabilities that 9x doesn't.
> Full unicode support. A file system that isn't based on some amazing feat of
> hacking that is based on some drawing by a collage dropout some twenty five
> years ago. Whole *slew* of visual API that can make a Mac OSX advocate
> droll.

I wonder what these wonderful APIs are that are better than OSX?  I've
seen the OSX in action on a Mac and pretty much like it. I haven't seen
XP in action so don't know.

What is the practical system requirement to run XP?  I've heard that OS
X should really have about 512Mb of ram to run great.