From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: Linux is shit
Date: 07 Jun 2001 02:06:58 GMT

On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 21:22:59 +0100, Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I assumed this happend to you?
Yep, tho I did use it to print 250 pages a month for 5 years, and
made about $12500 from it :)

>> Moreover, the mechanical design of the HP500 is *solid*, just look at
>> the lightweight designs of modern inkjets or lasers!
>
> Sadly, old age and a past life of heavy use (free ex company model) have
> taken its toll and it has a bit of problem picking up paper these days.
> That said, I  think I can fix the problem.

I wonder if a roller kit is available?
*warning the following contains tales of misery, and may be distressing
to some viewers*

Unfortunately HP have a policy of not keeping parts after 5 years, and
this prevents my HP Digital Storage Scope, purchased 7 years ago at a cost
of $6500 (demo) from being repaired ..... <sob>.

>> Chorus: Cheap and nasty, cheap and nasty ....
>
> Yep, there are some nasty printers out there. The HP930 seem to be OK,
> though and works well under Linux.

I'm not supprised, as every printer I have tried under Linux, has worked.

Just as well I'm not a fish ;-)

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: LINUX PRINTING SUCKS!!!!!!!!
Date: 07 Jun 2001 02:09:28 GMT

On Wed, 6 Jun 2001 22:24:42 -0400,
Nigel Feltham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Porter:
>>>Sadly no, not because there is no Fosters, or because I can't
>>>afford any Fosters .... I just don't like beer.
>>
>> What's there not to like about beer?

I just never like it and never bothered trying to like it.

> I like beer but for some strange reason I get a bad headache and feel sick
> after just 1 pint so I only drink spirits - I can drink at least 10
> vodka&cokes in one evening with no problems.

But what about your brain cells Nigel ?

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: "David L. Moffitt" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 21:10:34 -0500

"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Edward Rosten
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 08 May 2001 15:07:50 +0100

> >> Because, quite simply, most people who define themselves as homosexual,
> >> or heterosexual, do so because of societal pressure, when in fact they
> >> are probably bisexual with a preference.
> >>
> >> Bisexuals, even those with a strong preference for same sex contact, are
> >> obviously capable of reproduction.
> >>
> >> Also, homosexual contact has distinct advantages for primitive cultures,
> >> increasing the survival rating of the group.  Less so for more modern
> >> cultures.
> >
> >Ok, lets think of a society where there are no social pressures, no
> >influence, everyone just follows their instinct. Lets take a bee colony.
> >
> >Why do you get male bees who exclusively try to mate with other males
> >(its rare, but it happens)?
> >
> >Your explanation doesn't cover this.
>
> Shhh.  Don't tell the fundies; they'll want to pass a law requiring
> beekeepers to check their hives...

%%%% Hummmm-------I have bee hives and this is the first time I have heard it.
Scratch-----scratch----scratch-----sniff,sniff-----Yep! Smells like bullshit to
me!!!!! Male bees (drones) are raised from infertile
eggs (non fertilized) and have one purpose and that is to breed with the young queen.
Once they have bred with her their dick is
pulled out as a plug in the queen so the sperm does not leak out. She is bred and
fertilized only once in her life. The drones are
then driven out of the hive to starve until the time comes when a new queen must be
bred to continue the hive or to lead a swarm to
find another place to establish a new hive thus dividing the old one.

------------------------------

From: Jim Richardson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 19:07:57 -0700

In msgid <3b1e2687$1$12245$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Stephen Howe
wrote: on Wednesday 06 June 2001 05:48

> Jim Richardson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9fk5j4$7ae$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
>> difference is, when I kill -9 something, the SOB dies, when you
>> ctrl-alt-del and "kill" a task in Windows, you have no idea if it is
>> actually going to die or not. It's been my experience with W9X, that
>> about 50% of the time, the process will not die, and will hose the
>> system, forcing a reboot. With linux, the worst case scenario, is that
>> the process is a zombie, in which case, doing kill -HUP on it's owning
>> process will take care of it.
>
> I have never used Linux before but I can testify the truth of what you are
> saying with Windows 9x.
> Killing processes under Windows 9x is fraught with danger as you do not
> know if it will kill the OS as well.
> Generally I have found that NT 4.0 is more crashproof and 2000 better
> still but still not foolproof.
>
> I am looking forward to setting up Linux.
> I take it for granted that it is 100% crashproof, right?
> No bugs, at all, right? <drooling at the thought>
>
> Stephen Howe

Don't be silly, of course it has bugs, of course it crashes, it's just that
it crashes so rarely as to be a big news event. There are bugs, but they
get squashed muy pronto.

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 20:16:35 -0600

On 07 Jun 2001 01:56:43 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 21:10:19 GMT,
> The Ghost In The Machine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>>Am I dreaming, I submit that "White Goods Software" is a better name
>>>for this junk ???
>>>
>>>Next years Windows might have the optional egg timer, or
>>>roast chicken basting brush!
>>
>> Of course!  How else will Microsoft go after the homemaker market?  :-)
>> (The other question is: *why* would Microsoft go after the
>> homemaker market.....)
>
>Because all your appliances are belong to us ;-)

Great. Forget to pay your yearly XP registration fee and they disable
your computer, coffee pot, blender, dishwasher, refrigerator, washing
machine, dryer, television, radio, cellphone, automobile...

And the wintrolls will *still* claim MS doesn't have a monopoly
because you can always live in a tent. :-/

------------------------------

From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: UI Importance
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 20:24:42 -0600

On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 15:56:00 -0700, Josiah Fizer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

>>Still leaving lousy shell scripting and a "choice" of only one shell.
>>
>>BTW has MS implemented *real* regular-expression matching yet?
>>

>How is there only one choic of shells? I use TCSH on my Windows 2k
>box.

I'm not sure if third-party add-ons should count, especially those
from the *nix world.

What do the judges say? <g>

------------------------------

From: Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: I propose a GPL change...
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 20:27:34 -0600

Since Microsoft so despises the GPL, I propose that the GPL be changed
to prevent the use of GPL'd software on any Microsoft OS!  ;o)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Date: 07 Jun 2001 02:26:06 GMT

On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 20:16:35 -0600, Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 07 Jun 2001 01:56:43 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
> wrote:

>>> Of course!  How else will Microsoft go after the homemaker market?  :-)
>>> (The other question is: *why* would Microsoft go after the
>>> homemaker market.....)
>>
>>Because all your appliances are belong to us ;-)
>
> Great. Forget to pay your yearly XP registration fee and they disable
> your computer, coffee pot, blender, dishwasher, refrigerator, washing
> machine, dryer, television, radio, cellphone, automobile...
>
> And the wintrolls will *still* claim MS doesn't have a monopoly
> because you can always live in a tent. :-/

Hahahahah LOL!

Honestly, the last few days of COLA posts have had me in stiches,
THIS is what COLA used to be like in 1996 (approx), and the number
of intelligent posters both Linux and Windows is also noticably
on the increase.

Something is happening, I smell the fresh Scandanavian scent of
Linux trees in the air again, and a dark blight seems to have fled
Cola land !

--
Kind Regards
Terry

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux starts
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 02:38:38 GMT

GreyCloud wrote:

> David Brown wrote:
> >
> > stevekimble wrote in message ...
> >
> > >No, but I've got one about the Brits capturing the Enigma machine on Uxxx
> > >(can't
> > >remember it's number - sorry) and not the Yanks, as per the movie. A good
> > >story
> > >it is too, probably something to do with it being based on fact. Sorry for
> > >being
> > >totally off topic, Chad, but I've been desperate to get this one in
> > >somewhere; you
> > >know how it is with us in the Old World, always trying to put one over you
> > >ex-colonials......
> > >

> > Most of the bits of the Enigma brought out of Germany to the UK came
> > directly from someone working in the Enigma factory - he smuggled it out
> > piece by piece.  The bits were recovered by the British, and put together
> > back in the UK.  The Americans had absolutely nothing to do with it (in WW2,
> > the Americans were renowned for their military strength and numbers - I am
> > not trying to downplay their part in things, but it was the British who did
> > the intelligence work).  That American submarine movie is no better than the
> > worst communist propoganda during the cold war.
> >
> > By the way, has anyone seen Pearl Harbour yet?  I'm curious as to how far
> > from the truth it is (they probably even claim that the attack was a
> > surprise).
>
> There was a local article about that.  The reporters interviewed the
> Pearl Harbor survivors about it and they said it was pretty accurate.
> All except one incident where a sailor dived into the bay naked.  When
> he got out of the water his CO ordered him to put on something ,...
> anything, so he could help remove the dead bodies.  Well, the sailor
> could only find a pink dress to wear.

I saw PH on Saturday and I must say that it really wasn't that bad of a
movie... except for the contrived love story of course. It's almost as
if the makers wrote the historical script, and then the marketers
decided that it needed a hook to bring in the teeny-boppers... so they
manufactured a love story. The non-love-story part of the movie was
pretty good, and the action sequences were actually some of the best
I've seen in a while.

As far as historical- accuracy... I'm no expert at all but I couldn't
see any glaring inaccuracies... except for fighter pilots being
recruited to fly bombers in Doolittle's raid (which my friend pointed
out to me). It was in no way a PC movie either: the Japs get called
bastards and are shown strafing sailors in the water.

--
- Brent

"General Veer, prepare your underpants for ground assault."
- Darth Vader

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 02:40:06 GMT

Stephen Edwards wrote:

> Seven rabid koala bears with eucalyptus spittle dribbling from their
> mouths told me that [EMAIL PROTECTED] (drsquare) wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 08:34:09 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> > ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

> >>F-117A A is a BOMBER, not a fighter.
> >
> >How is that relevant to the US inventing the stealth fighter?
>
> It isn't.  And he's still wrong.  The
> "F" denotes "Fighter".

It's odd, but the F117 has no abilities to attack other aircraft at all
AFAIK, but it is designated as a fighter. Anyone know why that is? AFAIK
the Stealth bomber is the B1.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Best Distribution?
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 02:44:29 GMT

On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 23:04:01 +0100, drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> What does it actually look like when it's activated?

You could download ghostscript and find out.  Yes, there is a Windows
version.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

------------------------------

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 02:57:58 GMT

Stephen Edwards wrote:

> Seven rabid koala bears with eucalyptus spittle dribbling from their
> mouths told me that [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Patrick Ford) wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >Stephen Edwards wrote:

> >> Spoken like a true communist.
> >
> >You're weird!
>
> No, I'm a proud Yank.  And the very notion that
> a person should not be proud of his or her nation
> is absurd.  Everyone should be proud of their
> heritage, and their home.

The concept I'm talking about I first heard from the words of a Black
Conservative... asking a young member of his community (who was a Nation
of Islam member) why he was proud to be black. He was born black, it
took him no effort... I'm not proud of being white, I had no say in the
matter.

This is hard to articulate because I am *not* a communist nor do I hate
my own country. But I get personally embarrassed by citizens who say
things like "my country is better than yours because it can nuke yours".
I've seen people defend America's high murder rate for example... not
because it was the moral thing to do, they did it because they felt it
was the patriotic thing to do.

This being proud of who you are shit (actually what you were born as),
it just gives people an excuse to be angry when they probably don't have
that right. It can ironically cause a county to cannibalize itself
(think Vietnam), and other stupid things (like risk a nuclear war).

Well, let me ask you this, where has patriotism gotten us? Not us, as in
America, but us, as in the world. It's gotten us millions dead in 2
world wars. Looking at WW2, your rebuttal might be that patriotism on
the allied side stopped the Axis, but from what I've seen, the soldiers
who fought on the allied side did it looked at it as a job to do. They
didn't fight the Axis because of any notion of patriotism, they fought
the Axis because the Axis were riled up into a Patriotic frenzy and they
didn't want them to invade their respective home countries and brutalize
their families.