From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)
Subject: Re: I propose a GPL change...
Date: 07 Jun 2001 03:08:20 GMT

On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 20:27:34 -0600, Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Since Microsoft so despises the GPL, I propose that the GPL be changed
> to prevent the use of GPL'd software on any Microsoft OS!  ;o)

A great idea and I second it, but whats the point ?

Microsoft have just demonstrated (MS v/s AT&T) that they will
steal your patented code, and then refuse to pay one cent
even when you allow them to license it (after the act).

How can Microsoft expect Windows pirates to feel the least
bit guilty, when MS are themselves pirates on a mammoth
scale?

--
Kind Regards
Terry

------------------------------

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 03:10:31 GMT

Stephen Edwards wrote:

> Seven rabid koala bears with eucalyptus spittle dribbling from their mouths
> told me that [EMAIL PROTECTED] (drsquare) wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 15:14:12 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> > ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen Edwards)) wrote:
> >
> >>Seven rabid koala bears with eucalyptus spittle dribbling from their
> >>mouths told me that [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Patrick Ford) wrote in

> >>No, I'm a proud Yank.  And the very notion that
> >>a person should not be proud of his or her nation
> >>is absurd.  Everyone should be proud of their
> >>heritage, and their home.
> >
> >You're right. Everyone should be proud of something which happened by
> >complete chance and they have no control over. Everyone should be
> >proud that by chance they live within a certain set of political
> >boundaries. That makes so much sense.
>
> *sigh*
>
> If this is the normal way of U.S. thinking, then I'm
> going to start learning how to speak Chinese, because
> they will kick our asses if we ever go to war.

And that just might happen... because of patriotism. But guess what?
They have nukes, and we have nukes. So where will your patriotism get
you then?

Irradiated.

> This spineless attitude of yours is pathetic.  I love
> this country, because I live in it, and I've seen how
> great it can be.  If I didn't like it here, I'd live
> somewhere else, and likely find admiration in that other
> place.

Like, let's say, Germany, who did unspeakably horrible things during
WW2, as we all know. Or maybe you'd find tremendous pride living in
Russia, which would be odd because most of their glory years occurred
while it was a communist state (and we know how much you love
communists).

Maybe you'd move to China, and find admiration in that nation, and you'd
continue to feel admiration if China and the United States erupted into
war. So you'd feel admiration for a country that was killing the
citizens of a former country you felt admiration for, just because you
lived there.

It's not that I hate America or am ungrateful to be an American. It's
just that there good and bad points about it. To me, patriotism is about
blindly defending America, like getting emotionally upset when it's
verbally attacked. I do defend America when it's wrongly attacked in
newsgroups, but not because I'm patriotic. I defend America because I
feel the person attacking it is wrong.

To me, patriotism is "America right or wrong".

> I don't love the U.S. because "I was born here by chance".
> I love the U.S. because I've seen the alternatives, and
> they suck in comparison.
>
> I'm sick of working-class union-types, who think that
> being American is about being a worker all your life.
>
> Being an American is about achieving greatness, on your
> own, like in the old days, when people knew what they
> had.  If you think that there's no reason to love the
> US, then I'd suggest that you go and live in China for
> a few years, and then we'll see what you have to say.
>
> If you don't understand that, then you are a spineless
> coward.
>
> Godammed fucking linguini-spined coward liberals just
> piss me off... GRRR!@#

Ok it seems we've touched on a hot subject here, just try to see it my
way, and I'm not some horrible commie who wants to burn all American
flags or something.

--
- Brent

"General Veer, prepare your underpants for ground assault."
- Darth Vader

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: "JS \\ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the  dust!
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 23:16:24 -0400

"Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9flpjv$gjv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "JS \ PL" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >

> > What does all that have to do with an operating system crash? The
feature
> > your talking about gives you the option of saving an open document if
the
> > "program" stops responding. I've been running Windows XP *BETA!* for a
> month
> > and the OS has never crashed.
>
> I got you beat here, 44 days before the UPS decided to play games.
>
> > Been running Windows 2000 since the day it
> > hit the shelves and had 1 (one) OS crash. Whenever I run Mandrake
> programs
> > crash left and right. It's a rarity that even a "program" crashes under
> > Windows 2000.
>
> Not really.
> It certainly isn't common, but it's not very rare.
>
> > And I don't see anywhere on the features page where it talks about
> reporting
> > errors back to Microsoft. Can you point to where they talk about that
> > feature?
>
> Didn't you noticed that when a program crash, it asks you whatever to send
> or not send an error report?
> The idea is that:
> A> If it's a known problem, you would get the fix.
> B> If it's an unknown problem, MS would get the technicaleties of the
> situation, rather than a cryptic "the program crashed".

I've seen that in XP beta and Win2k beta.  I thought the guy was saying that
the crash reporting will remain in the final release version. I seriously
doubt that it will. Even with the current crash reporting it asks if you'd
like to send it in. That's not very "Big Brother-ish"

------------------------------

From: "Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux  starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 03:33:25 GMT

"Rotten168" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Stephen Edwards wrote:
> >
> > Seven rabid koala bears with eucalyptus spittle dribbling from their
> > mouths told me that [EMAIL PROTECTED] (drsquare) wrote in
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> > >How is that relevant to the US inventing the stealth fighter?
> >
> > It isn't.  And he's still wrong.  The
> > "F" denotes "Fighter".
>
> It's odd, but the F117 has no abilities to attack other aircraft at all
> AFAIK, but it is designated as a fighter. Anyone know why that is? AFAIK
> the Stealth bomber is the B1.

I believe it was developed as a fighter and support for the B2 bomber,  but
it current role is as bomber.  My friend who spent 4 years working on
aircraft in the military calls it a bomber.  I got the following information
from an Air Force web site....

http://www.af.mil/news/factsheets/F_117A_Nighthawk.html

General Characteristics for the F117A

Primary Function: Fighter/attack
Contractor: Lockheed Aeronautical Systems Co.
Power Plant: Two General Electric F404 engines
Length: 65 feet, 11 inches (20.3 meters)
Height: 12 feet, 5 inches (3.8 meters)
Weight: 52,500 pounds (23,625 kilograms)
Wingspan: 43 feet, 4 inches (13.3 meters)
Speed: High subsonic
Range: Unlimited with air refueling
Armament: Internal weapons carriage
Unit Cost: $45 million
Crew: One
Date Deployed: 1982
Inventory: Active force, 54; ANG, 0; Reserve, 0

------------------------------

From: "Interconnect" <mark###@logichip.com.au>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 13:47:35 +1000

Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Since Microsoft so despises the GPL, I propose that the GPL be changed
> to prevent the use of GPL'd software on any Microsoft OS!  ;o)

<sarcasm>
No. Microsoft is *your* friend. They like GPL so much, they want a *NEW* and
improved GPL. This is where MS get to use GPL code put it into Windows and
other MS products, but *then* ( and this is the innovation ) NO ONE ELSE
GETS TO USE IT!
</sarcasm>

------------------------------

From: "Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 03:38:12 GMT

"Rotten168" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> GreyCloud wrote:
> >
> > David Brown wrote:

Uxxx
Sorry for

> > > Most of the bits of the Enigma brought out of Germany to the UK came
> > > directly from someone working in the Enigma factory - he smuggled it
out
> > > piece by piece.  The bits were recovered by the British, and put
together
> > > back in the UK.  The Americans had absolutely nothing to do with it
(in WW2,
> > > the Americans were renowned for their military strength and numbers -
I am
> > > not trying to downplay their part in things, but it was the British
who did
> > > the intelligence work).  That American submarine movie is no better
than the
> > > worst communist propoganda during the cold war.
> > >
> > > By the way, has anyone seen Pearl Harbour yet?  I'm curious as to how
far
> > > from the truth it is (they probably even claim that the attack was a
> > > surprise).
> >
> > There was a local article about that.  The reporters interviewed the
> > Pearl Harbor survivors about it and they said it was pretty accurate.
> > All except one incident where a sailor dived into the bay naked.  When
> > he got out of the water his CO ordered him to put on something ,...
> > anything, so he could help remove the dead bodies.  Well, the sailor
> > could only find a pink dress to wear.
>
> I saw PH on Saturday and I must say that it really wasn't that bad of a
> movie... except for the contrived love story of course. It's almost as
> if the makers wrote the historical script, and then the marketers
> decided that it needed a hook to bring in the teeny-boppers... so they
> manufactured a love story. The non-love-story part of the movie was
> pretty good, and the action sequences were actually some of the best
> I've seen in a while.
>
> As far as historical- accuracy... I'm no expert at all but I couldn't
> see any glaring inaccuracies... except for fighter pilots being
> recruited to fly bombers in Doolittle's raid (which my friend pointed
> out to me). It was in no way a PC movie either: the Japs get called
> bastards and are shown strafing sailors in the water.

Alsio there is no way they would let a active duty pilot fly in the RAF at
the beginning of the movie. It would have been an act of war against
Germany.   The History Channel had a good show comparing Pearl Harbor the
movie to the real thing.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Argh - Ballmer
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 20:38:19 -0700

Paolo Ciambotti wrote:

> In article <KihT6.8375$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Erik Funkenbusch"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I'll have to side with you on this one, Paolo.  Now that I recall, a lot
of federal projects that gave funds to universities that researched a
particular idea or special projects were classified and later the rights
were purchased by a private company and then turned around and patented
or copyrighted the material.  One fellow I know as a welder in a
shipyard developed the argon gas welding equipment with the help of the
goverment and he later applied a patent to the process.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LINUX PRINTING SUCKS!!!!!!!!
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 20:41:06 -0700

Philip V Neves wrote:

> Fred K Ollinger wrote:
>
> > Stuart Fox ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> >
> > : "kosh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > : news:9fbnku$42j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > : > Philip Neves wrote:
> > : >
> > : >
> > : > Try this
> > : > http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=464242
> > : >
> > : > In general if you have prnting problems go to linuxprinting.org
> > : >
> > : > That printer is listed as working perfectly so just follow the
> > : instructions
> > : > on that page.
> >
> > : Come on now, the printing system is so broken it requires it's own web
> > : site? You're joking right?
> >
> > : I don't see a www.windowsprinting.org, or a www.macintoshprinting.org.
> >
> > : And they say Linux is ready for home desktop use?
> >
> > Where did you get driver for your printer?  Maybe it came on a cd which
> > came
> > with the printer.  Did you get linux driver on cd?  If not then call the
> > company and ask for one.  Does MS write all printer drivers?  If not then
> > don't ask Linus to do this.
> >
> > fred
> >
> I figured it out. I posted the message to lash out a bit. I was getting a
> little frustrated. My printer works now. I just doesn't print in High
> resolution 1440x720.

I take it you have a model of Epson printer?  Which distro are you
using?
The Caldera distro had three different epson drivers for different
printing resolutions.
On Solaris I had to write three separate filters to direct the kind of
resolution I needed by name thru ghostscript.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 20:44:21 -0700

Nigel Feltham wrote:

> >>Sadly no, not because there is no Fosters, or because I can't
> >>afford any Fosters .... I just don't like beer.
> >
> > What's there not to like about beer?
> >

> I like beer but for some strange reason I get a bad headache and feel sick
> after just 1 pint so I only drink spirits - I can drink at least 10
> vodka&cokes in one evening with no problems.

Maybe its the formaldehyde in the beer. :-)

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Very interesting cracker article, and XP warning.
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 20:49:04 -0700

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 18:27:37 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
> >  ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Form@C)) wrote:
> >

> > >Eh? for *existing* address space? Nope.... I think you must have misread
> my
> > >post or replied to the wrong one! :-) We arn't on IPv6 yet (well, most of
> > >us anyway!).
> >
> > Why not? When is ip6 'coming out'?
>
> When MS makes it the default configuration in its OSes.

Sun is already using ipv6.  I've got it in mine.

From: "ipslo" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Silly Gnome DNS lookups
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 03:57:00 GMT

I already have the machines hostname in /etc/hosts.  Of course this only
is any help if I keep getting the same IP address from the DHCP server
(also unreliable).  Doing a pointless DNS lookup when opening an
application seems like something Microsoft would do.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: UI Importance
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 20:56:46 -0700

Dave Martel wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 15:56:00 -0700, Josiah Fizer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> >>Still leaving lousy shell scripting and a "choice" of only one shell.
> >>
> >>BTW has MS implemented *real* regular-expression matching yet?
> >>

> >How is there only one choic of shells? I use TCSH on my Windows 2k
> >box.
>
> I'm not sure if third-party add-ons should count, especially those
> from the *nix world.
>
> What do the judges say? <g>

I see. Under Solaris I have a choice of several shells that can be
assigned to a number of users on the system.  Under root I stay with
sh.  User: I use bash.  I could use csh, but bash is my preference.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What Microsoft's CEO should do
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 21:00:32 -0700

Ayende Rahien wrote:

> "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Ayende Rahien wrote:
>
> > > Why? What is the reason for this decision?
> >
> > Speed.
>
> How making the OS crash if the GDI crash (even in it's in user mode) cause
> speed increase?

By putting the GDI in ring 0 with the kernel.  A really bad idea, and
David Cutler squawked like hell and got fired over it.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 21:01:45 -0700

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9fkigl$jig$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:NLgT6.8365$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:9fji5f$hb1$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > restart

> is

> > sense.
> > >
> > > What you fail to realize is that the GUI subsystem ran in the same
> > subsystem
> > > as other critical services as well.  If that subsystem crashes, then you
> > > lose a lot more than just the GUI.
> >
> > Yes, at the moment it run in kernel space, but would it cause such trouble
> > if it would run on user space?
>
> It used to run in user space, however, this caused too much latency.  This
> is the prime reason that X "feels" slower than Windows apps, and something
> MS, nor Windows users want to give up.

Hell, I would.  Crashes aren't acceptable to me.
That's why I run Solaris 8.

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 21:06:49 -0700

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> > >
> > > "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > > news:9fhjt5$49d$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> with
> > > it's
> the

> that
> with

> > > Basically, the reason is that the way NT is designed, if the GUI
> subsystem
> > > faults, then the OS blue screens anyways, whether or not it runs in
> kernel
> > > space.  The OS's main thread drops to a blue screen when the GUI
> subsystem
> > > dies.
> >
> > That was one of MS most dumbest decisions... bringing the GUI into ring
> > 0.  It should have been kept out in another ring.
>
> You're not understanding.  It doesn't matter if it ran in ring 0 or not, if
> the GUI crashes, so does the OS, even if it's not running in ring 0.

No it does not.  In Solaris there are the ring levels.  To some its
called Supervisory state. David Cutler got fired over resistance to move
user into kernel space.  If the two were in different rings... no way
would a crashing GUI crash the kernel space... you're supposed to rely
on the processor hardware to keep it kosher.  Even VMS VAX processors
did the same thing.  I've only seen Xsun crash once and all it did was
leave you with the console in a corner so that you could restart the X
server again.  The os stays intact.