From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: Re: Windows advocate of the year.
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 05:46:49 GMT

In article <0eET6.8766$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Mart van de Wege wrote:

>> > Second that and I nominate Erik F. for second place (like most people
>> > seem to do). Both are very reasonable people, though Erik is a little
>> > more stubborn, and that tends to get people irritated.
>> >
>> > Mart
>> >

>> Yes, Eric seems to have demonstrated quite a bit of computer lore and
>> knowledge.
>> He's okay to argue with.  I'd just wish he'd try out more o/ses on
>> different platforms to get a better feel for things.  I get the feeling
>> a lot that he is more neutral on a lot of topics than we think.
>
>I have extensively used many OS's.
>
>Windows
>Dos
>Amiga
>Mac
>OS/2
>BeOS
>QNX
>Various flavors of Unix
>VMS
>AS/400
>DOS/VSE
>VM
>MVS

I have to laugh when I read this.

It's so funny.

So Gump!  How many ways are there to cook shrimp!

--
Charlie
=======

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Charlie Ebert)
Subject: The Return of Microsoft
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 06:13:11 GMT

Slashdot just put an article on the board titled
"The Return of Microsoft" which is extremely chilling.

It mainly critisized the governments inept attitude
toward regulation.

But the article is absolutely right.  Microsoft
was on trial and could have been broken up but
in the end, Microsoft handed the Government back
it's hat with shit in it!

They also talked about AOL and Time/Warner
and others.

And I agree with the article 100%.

We are now living in an age where American
companies are uncontrollable monopolies which
are out to control the entire world and userp
all her people.

The Article did mention one other true fact.

Linux is bigger and badder than ever with
the backing of IBM and HP to name a few.

They also mentioned in another article
that Netscape is discontinuing the Netscape
browser and the balance of Netscape
has appearently accepted the Debian Social
Contract.

I actually believe that MS will completely
dominate the internet to the point that
NO OTHER OS will be allowed to use it.

And I'm certain that's what we are facing
in as little as 2 years.

As the article mentions, the world population
will begin to pay billions of dollars annually
for what used to be FREE under the old
internet structure.  An obvious reference to .NET

Well, in 4 years time, it will be very intersting
to see if the world is as happy with the United
States and God Damn Microsoft as we thought.

I'll make this bet right here and now.

This time, if any regulation is going to be done
it will be done by foreign powers and it will
be in the form of legislation to completely
BAN MS products from their country.

That's what's going to have to happen unless
they just want the United States to own
the entire internet and dictate to them
terms via MS.

--
Charlie
=======

------------------------------

From: Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 17:14:14 -0700

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
><snip>
> I have extensively used many OS's.
>
> Windows
> Dos
> Amiga
> Mac
> OS/2
> BeOS
> QNX
> Various flavors of Unix
> VMS
> AS/400
> DOS/VSE
> VM
> MVS

Then how come the Windows advocacy? You seem to have enough experience to
determine the difference between good and bad software.
--
Michael Vester
A credible Linux advocate

"The avalanche has started, it is
too late for the pebbles to vote"
Kosh, Vorlon Ambassador to Babylon 5

------------------------------

From: Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I propose a GPL change...
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2001 17:18:03 -0700

Charlie Ebert wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Terry Porter wrote:
> >On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 20:27:34 -0600, Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> Since Microsoft so despises the GPL, I propose that the GPL be changed
> >> to prevent the use of GPL'd software on any Microsoft OS!  ;o)
> >>

> >A great idea and I second it, but whats the point ?
> >
> >Microsoft have just demonstrated (MS v/s AT&T) that they will
> >steal your patented code, and then refuse to pay one cent
> >even when you allow them to license it (after the act).
> >
> >How can Microsoft expect Windows pirates to feel the least
> >bit guilty, when MS are themselves pirates on a mammoth
> >scale?
> >
> >--
> >Kind Regards
> >Terry
> >--
>
> And this is exactly why XP is totally insane!
>
> I've worked for very few, probably no companies which
> haven't pirated software at one time or another,
> either intentionally or accidentally.
>
> MS will alienate it's entire customer base.
>
> --
> Charlie
> -------
I have never seen any company that could be %100 sure of having non
pirated software. Most barely keep a rudimentary inventory which is always
out of date.

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.aol-sucks,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Laugh, it's hilarious.
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 09:17:39 +0100

In article <9fmabf$cmj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ayende Rahien"
<don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> http://www.jokeaday.com/7letters.shtml
>
> It's on a mailing list I'm subscribe to. The post-master sent an email
> about AOL.EXE being a virus, and urge people to delete it, and post some
> of the replies in the above URL.
>
> Here are a couple of the most amusing replies:
>
> "I beleive that this is a hoax. Isn't AOL.exe a vital component to the
> window's operating system? "
>
> "No!! Any file ending in .EXE is a necessary file to your computer.
> Wherever you got that information they're wrong. You need that file. I
> have learned this the wrong way. Don't delete any file ending in .EXE
> Please pass this on to everybody."

My god! Poeple actualy believe Win95 warning messages!

-Ed

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage

------------------------------

From: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: What Microsoft's CEO should do
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 19:29:23 +1200

"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> I'd highly doubt this very much on your last statement here.  That is
> why intel made these processors like this in the first place.  That is
> why Linux is quite stable in regards to isolation from the graphics
> interface.  I guess Dave Cutler knew what he was talking about when he
> originally wrote NT.  (Keep the kernel in ring 0 and the rest in the
> other rings.)

It's not "my" statement per se, it was written by the authors of Inside
Windows 2000.

Also, on ring levels, I believe NT only uses 2 of the available ring levels.
Anyone?

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 02:30:43 -0500

"Michael Vester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> ><snip>
> > I have extensively used many OS's.
> >
> > Windows
> > Dos
> > Amiga
> > Mac
> > OS/2
> > BeOS
> > QNX
> > Various flavors of Unix
> > VMS
> > AS/400
> > DOS/VSE
> > VM
> > MVS
>
> Then how come the Windows advocacy? You seem to have enough experience to
> determine the difference between good and bad software.

The difference between good and bad is not as black and white as you believe
it to be.

I have always been the first to admit that Windows isn't perfect, which is
why I use FreeBSD for my server OS.  My advocacy generally surrouds the fact
that I don't believe it to be as bad as most of you say it is, and in fact
is not.

I also do not believe that Linux is perfect, and it has a long way to go to
catch up to Windows in basic useability on the desktop.

------------------------------

From: Rotten168 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 07:33:30 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch wrote:

> "Rotten168" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
> >

> > > I have extensively used many OS's.
> >
> > > DOS/VSE
> >
> > I'm sorry to hear that.
>
> Yeah, me too.  I spent nearly a year doing VSAM work under DOS/VSE and being
> a defacto operator while the company shuffled their feet trying to hire
> someone to do it.

I'm currently an operator using that system... I will kill the person
who designed that system if it's the last thing I do.

--
- Brent

"General Veer, prepare your underpants for ground assault."
- Darth Vader

http://rotten168.home.att.net

------------------------------

From: "Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 02:41:33 -0500

"Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:9fnaic$2t9b$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> > I'd highly doubt this very much on your last statement here.  That is
> > why intel made these processors like this in the first place.  That is
> > why Linux is quite stable in regards to isolation from the graphics
> > interface.  I guess Dave Cutler knew what he was talking about when he
> > originally wrote NT.  (Keep the kernel in ring 0 and the rest in the
> > other rings.)
>
> It's not "my" statement per se, it was written by the authors of Inside
> Windows 2000.
>
> Also, on ring levels, I believe NT only uses 2 of the available ring
levels.
> Anyone?

Yes, that's true.  The reaons is that many processors only have two levels,
user and superviser, so NT was designed to conform to only two levels to
keep driver changes to a minimum on different platforms.

------------------------------

From: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: UI Importance
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 19:45:10 +1200

"Dave Martel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Still leaving lousy shell scripting and a "choice" of only one shell.
>
> BTW has MS implemented *real* regular-expression matching yet?

In VBScript yes.  The regexp matching is I believe modelled on Perl's.
Since MS push WSH as the scripting tool of choice, this makes sense.

------------------------------

From: "Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 19:46:27 +1200

"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> A long time ago MS was advertising named pipes in NT.  Do they still
> have that in Win2k?

Yes.  Both Named Pipes and TCP/IP Sockets are available

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ed Allen)
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 08:01:03 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Woofbert  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dave Martel
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 21:42:59 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>> (The Ghost In The Machine) wrote:
>>
>> >That's what manpages are for.  Nice try, though! :-)
>>
>> And for our non-linux-using wintrolls, just a little reminder that
>> unlike DOS you can pop up another console for your manpages and switch
>> back and forth with a keypress. :)
>>

>Manpages are fine if you know what command you need to use to do
>something. If you're tryting to do something you don't know the command
>name for, you're lost ... you have to go to the manual and read through
>every command's description until you find the one you want.
>
>With a menu system, you can just search through the menus until you find
>something that may be what you want.

    Sounds like the menu choices are keywords to be searched.

    You need to learn about 'man -k' and 'apropos' which search for
    keywords.

    Gives you an alphabetized list of the commands dealing with that
    keyword.  Much better than a random order menu in which they seem
    to migrate between versions without warning.

    Since you do not seem to know about the keyword search then you
    probably do not know that a current version of the keyword database
    is created automatically every night if your machine is left powered
    up or at next reboot if it is not.

    Linux is reliable enough to run such automated tasks for months
    without human intervention even on PC hardware.

--
Microsoft is trying to add to the list of biggest lies of all time:
"Hi. I'm from Microsoft and I am here to protect you from the threat of

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 04:30:16 -0400

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Tue, 15 May 2001 21:51:17 -0400
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >Ray Fischer wrote:

> >> Being a homosexual is not a felony, bigot.
> >
> >But it's even MORE revolting.
>
> To you, perhaps.  To others, it's perfectly natural.

That's what the obesity promotors say about eating one's
way to becoming a 700-pound lard-sack that can't even
wipe their own ass.

> That's your problem; I doubt that they care.  (I can't say I do.)

> Now flaunting it in public may be all of our problems -- although
> I can't say they're any worse than some of the hardcore feminists,
> another group that is apparently also in the disfavor of conservatives.
> Why, I'm not entirely sure, although it may be in part because of
> misconceptions such as the notion that homosexuality is a choice
> (lesbians are homosexual, too) and that male homosexuals spread AIDS
> (AFAIK, no more so than heterosexuals; any intimate contact that
> exchanges and/or transmits fluids will run the risk of giving away
> the retrovirus), or that promiscuous sex damages society somehow
> (there is a risk of disease, but that's why people take precautions).
>
> But there's a difference between how one conducts oneself in the
> bedroom, and in the boardroom.  Parading around nude in the bedroom
> isn't a problem, but parading around nude in the boardroom or along
> a parade route might not get the desired result.
>
> (Side point: homosexuality has also been observed in (other) primates,
> in the wild.  How "natural" is that?)
>
> [.sigsnip]
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random misquote here
> EAC code #191       37d:05h:26m actually running Linux.
>                     I am, you are, he, she, and it is, but they're not.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 04:27:01 -0400

The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, chrisv
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Thu, 10 May 2001 15:02:23 GMT
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> >>No.  I merely refuse to associate with people who are so fucking suicidal.
> >
> >Again, the false logic from Kookis.  Homosexual != suicidal.
> >Homosexuality != unprotected anal sex.  Idiot.
>
> Sometimes I wonder; the bigotry here on Usenet is amazing.
> I don't know if it's because of the "cloaking effect" (a
> psych experiment suggests that people are more violent when
> judging other people when the judger is hooded, cloaked,
> or otherwise hidden), or if it's a reflection of society
> as a whole.  Probably a little of both.
>
> Maybe I'm just too genteel... :-)  Aaron may be technically
> competent in some areas (heck, I wouldn't know the first thing
> about building nuclear power plants, operating heavy construction
> machinery, flying an X-15 experimental plane, or shooting a
> heavy automatic weapon [*]), but the social skills appear to be
> slightly lacking with respect to homophobia (or, more accurately,
> "homosexualityphobia").
>
> Why are they so threatening?  I'd be more threatened by a
> vixen who's 6'5", statuesque, chasing me with a leather whip/bolo,
> a fedora, leather vest, and leather hip waders, than some homosexual
> in a bar sipping whatever and trying to proposition some of the other
> gentlemen there.  And yet, the gentlemen will flock to the
> quasi-Amazon [+] to attempt to seduce her (good luck, guys; you'll
> need it!) and to the homosexual to beat him to a bloody pulp with
> a baseball bat.

I have no desire to engage in violence.  I merely wish to convince
them to stop committing suicide by virus.

> Go figure!
>
> [*] Four skills I do *not* have, picked more or less at random.
>     Dunno if Aaron has them.  My speciality is building, maintaining,
>     and debugging application-level computer software.
>
> [+] Amazons only had one breast; the other was removed for better
>     archery, as I understand it.  Presumably which breast was removed
>     depended on whether she was right or left handed. :-)
>     (This could also be an urban legend.  I'd have to look.)
>
>     See also Lucy Lawless, although I don't think she's 6'5".
>     But aren't movie and TV stars supposed to be "larger than life"? :-)
>
> --
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random "Xenaphobia" here
> EAC code #191       37d:01h:10m actually running Linux.
>                     Hi.  What's your sign?  Mine's "Out To Lunch".

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Just when Linux starts getting good, Microsoft buries it in the  dust!
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 10:44:18 +0200

JS \ PL wrote in message ...

>"David Brown" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:9fkjqd$93s$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >The OS won't crash so I guess we'll never know the answer to "what if it
>> >crashes". If you shut it down it warns of all active users, and asks if
>> >you'd like to save whatever programs are open (that's what shutting down
>> >IS).
>> >

>> I hope you'll forgive us if we all (even including most wintrolls, and MS
>> themselves) laugh ourselves silly at that statement.

Regardless of your personal experiances, most people suffer from crashes and
instabilities in their Windows systems (note - I am not saying anything
about whether other systems are better or worse).  This applies to both
applications and the OS itself, and all the bits that MS insists are in the
OS when in court (such as IE), but which some people call applications when
trying to say that the OS does not crash.

For every new OS MS has come out with, they tell us how the old one was
buggy but this one is perfectly stable and the "most reliable Windows ever".
I'll happily believe that XP is "the most reliable Windows ever" - I haven't
tried it myself, but that seems to be the general opinion of testers, so
I'll go along with that.  But any claims that it won't crash are just
ridiculous.

>> One of the fabulous new added features of both Office XP and Windows XP
is
>> how well it can cope with crashes - automatically recovering documents
>(for
>> Office), preparing error reports and sending in details of the bug
>directly
>> to MS.  If you don't mind the idea of your PC reporting back to big
>brother
>> for every problem, and you believe MS will bother trying to patch the
>bugs,
>> then this is a good idea.  But it really shows the kind of confidence MS
>> have in their own software when they boast of their new crash recovery
and
>> reporting system.
>
>What does all that have to do with an operating system crash? The feature
>your talking about gives you the option of saving an open document if the
>"program" stops responding.

You are correct - the new features of both Office XP and Win XP are geared
towards application crashes rather than a crash in the OS itself.  But I
would expect that the same system (in Win XP) is designed to catch crashes
in parts of Win XP (such as IE, or WMP).

>I've been running Windows XP *BETA!* for a month
>and the OS has never crashed.  Been running Windows 2000 since the day it
>hit the shelves and had 1 (one) OS crash. Whenever I run Mandrake  programs
>crash left and right. It's a rarity that even a "program" crashes under
>Windows 2000.

The choice of OS should not have anything to do with how often applications
crash.  A program which crashes easily under NT 4 will crash just as easily
under W2K.  The OS can limit the damage, but it can't prevent a bug in the
program.  It's nice to hear you have avoided crashes in XP so far, but the
rate of program crashes depends entirely on the programs you run.

By the way, you seem to think that being a beta version gives XP an excuse
for being imperfect.  I think you are following MS's misunderstanding of
what beta testing actually is.  A program is ready for beta testing when the
developers think it is virtually perfect and complete.  It is reasonable to
leave out some details (such as incomplete help files, or limited themes),
but a crash-proof OS is ready for beta testing when the developers are
unable to make it crash themselves.

Just for a laugh, try installing the latest Easy CD Creator version on your
systems.  Experiances vary, but on earlier Windows it messes up and crashes
the machine.  On W2K, however, it can often totally trash the system to the
point of requiring a re-format (not just a re-install).  I'm curious as to
how well XP copes with it (it is fair enough if the program won't install or
won't run, but it should not trash the system).

>And I don't see anywhere on the features page where it talks about
reporting
>errors back to Microsoft. Can you point to where they talk about that
>feature?
>http://www.microsoft.com/office/evaluation/fastfacts.htm#header1
>Or are you just plain wrong about that too?

I haven't looked at MS's own pages, but I have noticed the crash-reporting
feature in at least two magazine reviews of Office XP (the latest being in
PC Plus).  Perhaps there is a difference in emphasis - MS doesn't want to
give the impression that Office XP will crash, whereas magazines *know* that
it will, and they know that readers will have crashes too, so they consider
it a useful feature.