Linux-Advocacy Digest #22, Volume #35             Thu, 7 Jun 01 08:13:06 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Laugh, it's hilarious. (kosh)
  Re: Silly Gnome DNS lookups (Richard Thrippleton)
  (OT) Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux starts getting
good, Microsoft buries it in the dust!) ("Mart van de Wege")
  Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft! ("Mart van de Wege")
  Re: Compiling Knews was: Linux beats Win2K (again) (drsquare)
  Re: Compiling Knews was: Linux beats Win2K (again) (drsquare)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (drsquare)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (drsquare)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux  starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (drsquare)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux  starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (drsquare)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux  starts    getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (drsquare)
  Re: Windows advocate of the year. (drsquare)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux starts   getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (drsquare)
  Re: Best Distribution? (drsquare)
  Re: SourceForge hacked! (drsquare)
  Re: ease and convenience (*long* and possibly boring;-) (drsquare)
  Re: LINUX PRINTING SUCKS!!!!!!!! (drsquare)
  Re: I propose a GPL change... (drsquare)
  Re: Laugh, it's hilarious. (flatfish+++)
  Re: Best Distribution? ("Mart van de Wege")

From: kosh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Laugh, it's hilarious.
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 04:31:58 -0600

Terry Porter wrote:

> On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 01:06:55 +0200, Ayende Rahien <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> http://www.jokeaday.com/7letters.shtml
>>
>> It's on a mailing list I'm subscribe to.
>> The post-master sent an email about AOL.EXE being a virus, and urge
>> people to delete it, and post some of the replies in the above URL.
>>
>> Here are a couple of the most amusing replies:
>>
>> "I beleive that this is a hoax. Isn't AOL.exe a vital component to the
>> window's operating system? "
>>
>> "No!! Any file ending in .EXE is a necessary file to your computer.
>> Wherever you got that information they're wrong. You need that file. I
>> have learned this the wrong way. Don't delete any file ending in .EXE
>> Please pass this on to everybody."
>>

> Yesterday my Wife got an email warning about a particulary
> nasty virus called SULFNBK.EXE, in fact it was so nasty that
> none of the antivirus programs could detect the threat, said
> the email from a member of her IRC channel.
>
> Many people found and deleted this file from their Windows
> boxes, one chap even deleted it from several pc's at his
> club.
>
> My Wife, who is a sensible person, asked me "Terry, if Norton
> Antivirus didn't pick it up, whats going on? ", she was also
> concerned about the date of the file, which was around 1996.
>
> I advised her to do a search for this file on the net, and yes
> Ayendie ;-) we found it was a normal Windows98 file, in fact it
> is necessary to read long file names!
>
> So now Windows users who live in fear of Virii, have *two* threats,
> threats of virii, and threats of hoaxes!

It would have been a hell of a lot funnier if they had said the virus was
win.com, user.dat or system.dat.

These kinds of "warnings" are mainly taking advantage of user stupidity and
as such they will continue to be extremely effective. For a long time both
microsoft and apple have tried to spread the idea that comptuers are these
near idiot proof devices that take no learning to use. This is not coming
back to bite their users and it will bite them eventually also.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Thrippleton)
Subject: Re: Silly Gnome DNS lookups
Date: Thu, 7 Jun 2001 12:10:37 +0000

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
ipslo wrote:
>I already have the machines hostname in /etc/hosts.  Of course this only
>is any help if I keep getting the same IP address from the DHCP server
>(also unreliable).
        Err... 127.0.0.1 always points to your machine. Read his post again.
>Doing a pointless DNS lookup when opening an
>application seems like something Microsoft would do.
        Now it is curious as to _why_ there's a DNS lookup needed. Anybody
here got any ideas? Suppose you could try looking in the source code.

Richard

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: (OT) Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in the dust!)
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 13:37:21 +0200
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Rotten168" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> It's not that I hate America or am ungrateful to be an American. It's
> just that there good and bad points about it. To me, patriotism is about
> blindly defending America, like getting emotionally upset when it's
> verbally attacked. I do defend America when it's wrongly attacked in
> newsgroups, but not because I'm patriotic. I defend America because I
> feel the person attacking it is wrong.
>
> To me, patriotism is "America right or wrong".

<snip some more>

As one Eric Blair so eminently pointed out, sloppy language leads to
sloppy thinking. I find it disconcerting that this appears to be so
common in the US, e.g. the way you mix up 'liberalism' with 'social
democracy' (look up 'liberalism' and 'liberal' in the Oxford English
Dictionary if you want).
With that out of the way, let's clarify a few terms, so that the flamewar
can continue on a more equal footing.
- Patriotism = Pride in your country and its accomplishments, without a
value judgement on other countries
- Chauvinism = Pride in your country and its accomplishments coupled with
a belief that this makes your country the best in the world.
- Nationalism = Pride in your country and its accomplishments coupled with
a belief that your country is the only good country in the world.

I believe Stephen is talking about #1, whereas you seem to think he is
implying either #2 or worse #3.

HTH,

Mart

--
Gimme back my steel, gimme back my nerve
Gimme back my youth for the dead man's curve

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 13:41:55 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Bob Hauck"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 11:56:28 +0200, Mart van de Wege
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Bob Hauck"
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> Have you actually calculated the costs?
>
>>Sorry to butt in halfway through the thread, Bob, but that is exactly
>>what Telia, originally the Swedish Telco and now the biggest ISP in
>>Scandinavia is doing.
>
> Yes, I saw the announcement from IBM.  Apparently Max didn't, or he
> thinks they are going to go out of business.  I was just trying to help
> him see how it might be cost-effective if done on a large enough scale.

Glad to be of assistance :) (and apologies for this appalling lack of
netiquette).

Mart

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compiling Knews was: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:51:58 +0100

On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 23:30:58 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 18:40:46 +0000, "Gary Hallock"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>It is a text file.  Windows just insists on requiring that extra CR when
>>the rest of the world does not.   And why does Windows still default to
>>notepad for text files?   I have lost count of the number of times I have
>>tried to view a text file on Windows and it defaults to using notepad
>>which then chokes - and these are Windows files, not a text file from a
>>Linux install disk.
>>
>>Gary
>
>Point is, YOU know that.
>Now I know that.
>The icon displayed when the newbie double clicks on it doesn't match
>any Windows file formats.
>How is he supposed to know to pick Wordpad?
>
>User unfriendliness is something Linux is an expert at.

Linux??? Windows is the one that doesn't know how to open a fucking
file.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:51:59 +0100

On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 23:28:47 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 18:53:59 +0000, "Gary Hallock"
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>So, you agree.  Linux just worked and Windows failed miserably,
>
>No.
>
>I am saying some Linux distos worked fine and others failed.
>Win2k worked fine will Win98se failed.

Well, that doesn't say a lot for Windows98 then does it?

>>Yeh, W2K works, unless you already have one NIC installed.   As I have
>>mentioned here before, when I installed an ethernet card on my Thinkpad,
>>it already had a working token ring card.   W2K refused to install the
>>ethernet and totally screwed things up with no rational error messages
>>until I uninstalled the token ring card and deleted all references to
>>TCP/IP.   But, once again, Linux just worked.   Why can't W2K handle
>>adding a second NIC?
>
>Good for you, I have still be unable to get an IBM Token Ring 16/4
>card working with ANY distribution.

Why would you want a token ring card in the first place?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: UI Importance
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:52:00 +0100

On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 22:03:26 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Macman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>> >That was sarcasm, it's quite prevelent in these newgroups, you better get
>> >better recognizing it.
>>
>> Well, as they say, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.
>
>Nah. Even lower are those who don't understand sarcasm.

Especially when the one producing the sarcasm makes it look like a
normal expression.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:52:01 +0100

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 00:09:25 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Dave Martel
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >That's what manpages are for.  Nice try, though! :-)
>>
>> And for our non-linux-using wintrolls, just a little reminder that
>> unlike DOS you can pop up another console for your manpages and switch
>> back and forth with a keypress. :)
>>

>Manpages are fine if you know what command you need to use to do
>something. If you're tryting to do something you don't know the command
>name for, you're lost ... you have to go to the manual and read through
>every command's description until you find the one you want.

Try "apropos"

>With a menu system, you can just search through the menus until you find
>something that may be what you want.

Which 1) Takes years, and 2) Probably isn't there.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:52:01 +0100

On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 16:34:45 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Josiah Fizer wrote:

>> >Still leaving lousy shell scripting and a "choice" of only one shell.
>> >
>> >BTW has MS implemented *real* regular-expression matching yet?

>> How is there only one choic of shells? I use TCSH on my Windows 2k
>> box.

>> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
>
>I've never used Win2k... does it have the basic sh shell, ksh korn
>shell, tsc tenex c shell, or bash?

I've managed to get bash going through cygwin on Win98 pretty well,
but as Windows isn't quite up to being handled through the command
line there's not a lot you can do with it.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:52:02 +0100

On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 16:53:04 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Josiah Fizer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 16:34:45 -0700, GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:

>>I've never used Win2k... does it have the basic sh shell, ksh korn
>>shell, tsc tenex c shell, or bash?
>
>Not out of the box. But that's understandable since it would require
>MS to write lots of extra documentation. However you can install all
>of the basic shells from a number of sources, both comercial and
>freeware.

Why would MS need to write the documentation? With linux, when you
install something, its man pages are automatically added. Won't the
same thing happen on windows?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:52:03 +0100

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 01:13:06 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >And if you don't, you'll search for the info.
>> >Point of the excersize completed.
>> >If you don't search for the info, then another point of the excersize was
>> >completed. You aren't fit to be a programmer.
>>
>> What's the point in the exercise at all if you have to search for
>> everything afterwards?
>
>That you learn how to search for the info.
>    You need a photographic memory and a really funky brain to remeber
>everything about computers. The average programmer doesn't even bother to
>remember anything that he doesn't commonly use, they just use MSDN or the
>equilent for their enviroment. If you can't do that, you can't program
>anything of value, period.
>
>This also teach you to some of the basics in C, as well.

I don't see how you're supposed to search for something like what you
typed. I doubt typing "i[intArray]" into google would yield too many
results.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:52:03 +0100

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 01:13:29 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >Same way you do in CLI?
>> >
>> >command command_line_arguements
>>
>> And how do I type these arguments in?
>
>Shortcut, run menu, CLI, etc.

Run menu, CLI? I thought we were talking about how to do it on a GUI?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:52:04 +0100

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 00:10:21 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, drsquare
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >And if you don't, you'll search for the info.
>> >Point of the excersize completed.
>> >If you don't search for the info, then another point of the excersize was
>> >completed. You aren't fit to be a programmer.
>>
>> What's the point in the exercise at all if you have to search for
>> everything afterwards?
>
>What's the point of man pages?

To find out things about things?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:52:05 +0100

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 04:27:01 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

>> Why are they so threatening?  I'd be more threatened by a
>> vixen who's 6'5", statuesque, chasing me with a leather whip/bolo,
>> a fedora, leather vest, and leather hip waders, than some homosexual
>> in a bar sipping whatever and trying to proposition some of the other
>> gentlemen there.  And yet, the gentlemen will flock to the
>> quasi-Amazon [+] to attempt to seduce her (good luck, guys; you'll
>> need it!) and to the homosexual to beat him to a bloody pulp with
>> a baseball bat.

>I have no desire to engage in violence.  I merely wish to convince
>them to stop committing suicide by virus.

How does being queer equate to commiting suicide by a virus?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:52:06 +0100

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 04:30:16 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

>> >But it's even MORE revolting.
>>
>> To you, perhaps.  To others, it's perfectly natural.
>
>That's what the obesity promotors say about eating one's
>way to becoming a 700-pound lard-sack that can't even
>wipe their own ass.

If that's the best you can come up with, you have already lost.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:52:06 +0100

On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 22:44:39 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen Edwards)) wrote:

>>Stephen Edwards wrote:
>>
>>>No, I'm a proud Yank.  And the very notion that
>>>a person should not be proud of his or her nation
>>>is absurd.  Everyone should be proud of their
>>>heritage, and their home.
>>
>>Why? It's just where you born. It's not like you achieved anything. Your
>>parents fucked, and out you popped. It could have been anywhere. So just
>>keep that image in mind, next time you feel patriotic, just visualise
>>your father hunched over your mother. Which is all it comes down to,
>>really.
>
>Remember that, when the Chinese police
>are knocking at your door, and intend to
>take you away for questioning.
>
>Again, spoken like a true communist.

You really are paranoid and fucked up.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:52:07 +0100

On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 22:57:43 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen Edwards)) wrote:

>>>No, I'm a proud Yank.  And the very notion that
>>>a person should not be proud of his or her nation
>>>is absurd.  Everyone should be proud of their
>>>heritage, and their home.
>>
>>You're right. Everyone should be proud of something which happened by
>>complete chance and they have no control over. Everyone should be
>>proud that by chance they live within a certain set of political
>>boundaries. That makes so much sense.
>
>*sigh*
>
>If this is the normal way of U.S. thinking, then I'm
>going to start learning how to speak Chinese, because
>they will kick our asses if we ever go to war.

1) When did I ever say anything about a way of US thinking?
2) Why are you so obsessed with the chinese?
3) Why are you so obsessed with communism?

>This spineless attitude of yours is pathetic.  I love
>this country, because I live in it, and I've seen how
>great it can be.  If I didn't like it here, I'd live
>somewhere else, and likely find admiration in that other
>place.

I'd like to know how I am defined as "spineless" because I don't take
pride in something that is complete chance.

>I don't love the U.S. because "I was born here by chance".
>I love the U.S. because I've seen the alternatives, and
>they suck in comparison.

Well, if the US is better than anywhere else, then that doesn't say a
lot about anywhere else.

>I'm sick of working-class union-types, who think that
>being American is about being a worker all your life.
>
>Being an American is about achieving greatness, on your
>own, like in the old days, when people knew what they
>had.  If you think that there's no reason to love the
>US, then I'd suggest that you go and live in China for
>a few years, and then we'll see what you have to say.

Personally, I wouldn't want to live in the US or China. They both seem
more or less equally repressive.

>If you don't understand that, then you are a spineless
>coward.

I don't understand that, and no, I am not a spineless coward.

>Godammed fucking linguini-spined coward liberals just
>piss me off... GRRR!@#

Godammed right-wing, nationalistic repressive conservative cowards
piss me off also.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:52:08 +0100

On 7 Jun 2001 09:15:52 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Nick Condon)) wrote:

>Stephen Edwards wrote:

>>Remember that, when the Chinese police
>>are knocking at your door, and intend to
>>take you away for questioning.
>>
>>Again, spoken like a true communist.
>
>You don't think the Chinese are patriotic? Patriotism is huge over there,
>haven't you noticed how easily their national pride is dented? Didn't you
>see all that stuff about the spy-plane?

No, he's probably just been listening to too much right-wing US
propagander.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows advocate of the year.
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:52:09 +0100

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 02:30:43 -0500, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"Michael Vester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>The difference between good and bad is not as black and white as you believe
>it to be.
>
>I have always been the first to admit that Windows isn't perfect, which is
>why I use FreeBSD for my server OS.  My advocacy generally surrouds the fact
>that I don't believe it to be as bad as most of you say it is, and in fact
>is not.
>
>I also do not believe that Linux is perfect, and it has a long way to go to
>catch up to Windows in basic useability on the desktop.

And Windows has a long way to go to catch up to Linux is terms of
basic stability and efficiency on the desktop.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:52:10 +0100

On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 23:00:31 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen Edwards)) wrote:

>Seven rabid koala bears with eucalyptus spittle dribbling from their
>mouths told me that [EMAIL PROTECTED] (drsquare) wrote in
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>>>F-117A A is a BOMBER, not a fighter.
>>
>>How is that relevant to the US inventing the stealth fighter?
>
>It isn't.  And he's still wrong.  The
>"F" denotes "Fighter".

Looks like Kulkis loses again.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best Distribution?
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:52:10 +0100

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 01:08:37 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> In that case, I've got a 3 line perl script I'd like to show to
>> kulkis:
>>
>> while(1) {
>>  print "FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!"
>> }
>
>It won't compile.

Of course it compiles.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SourceForge hacked!
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:52:11 +0100

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 01:20:46 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >Unfortunately, I learned touch-typing in qwerty in the 6th grade so
>> >I'm not sure how much hope there is for me.
>>
>> It doesn't matter, you can just stick labels over the new keys so it
>> looks like an old keyboard.
>
>It wouldn't *act* like the old keyboard, you know!

Not that it's affect Kulkis' postings.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: ease and convenience (*long* and possibly boring;-)
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:52:12 +0100

On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 19:04:58 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Ayende Rahien wrote:

>I wonder what these wonderful APIs are that are better than OSX?  I've
>seen the OSX in action on a Mac and pretty much like it. I haven't seen
>XP in action so don't know.
>
>What is the practical system requirement to run XP?  I've heard that OS
>X should really have about 512Mb of ram to run great.

Oh my GOD. 512? That's an unthinkable amount. Luckily my linux system
could run on 2MB!

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LINUX PRINTING SUCKS!!!!!!!!
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:52:12 +0100

On 07 Jun 2001 02:09:28 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Terry Porter)) wrote:

>On Wed, 6 Jun 2001 22:24:42 -0400,
>Nigel Feltham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>Porter:
>>>
>>> What's there not to like about beer?
>
>I just never like it and never bothered trying to like it.
>

>> I like beer but for some strange reason I get a bad headache and feel sick
>> after just 1 pint so I only drink spirits - I can drink at least 10
>> vodka&cokes in one evening with no problems.
>
>But what about your brain cells Nigel ?

Well, you only use about 20% of your brain, so you may as well burn
out the other 80!

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I propose a GPL change...
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:52:13 +0100

On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 20:27:34 -0600, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>Since Microsoft so despises the GPL, I propose that the GPL be changed
>to prevent the use of GPL'd software on any Microsoft OS!  ;o)

That's a bit unfair on windows users.

------------------------------

From: flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.aol-sucks,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 11:56:16 GMT

wrote:

>http://www.jokeaday.com/7letters.shtml
>
>It's on a mailing list I'm subscribe to.
>The post-master sent an email about AOL.EXE being a virus, and urge people
>to delete it, and post some of the replies in the above URL.
>
>Here are a couple of the most amusing replies:
>
>"I beleive that this is a hoax. Isn't AOL.exe a vital component to the
>window's operating system? "
>
>"No!! Any file ending in .EXE is a necessary file to your computer. Wherever
>you got that information they're wrong. You need that file. I have learned
>this the wrong way. Don't delete any file ending in .EXE Please pass this on
>to everybody."

And the Linvocates expect these people to edit config files and run
Linux?

Unfortunately the above is the sorry level of computer knowledge out
there in the world. Just take a wander past the computers in Walmart
and listen to the questions people are asking the sales staff.

ie: This machine comes with 40 gigabytes of memory right?

flatfish+++
"Why do they call it a flatfish?"

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 14:01:09 +0200

In article <9flpke$gjv$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ayende Rahien"
<don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> Even if the spam in my mailbox would grow, I'd still use my real email
>> address, as I just plain refuse to bow to this kind of terrorism (yes I
>> hate spammers, what gave you that idea?).
>
> Don't equal spammers to terrorists, please. Spammers are mere annoyance.

Oops. Sorry for the hyperbole. I forgot for a bit that what is merely
hyperbole for one is an unpleasant reality for another.

Apologies,

Mart