From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: I propose a GPL change...
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 16:20:37 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Charlie Ebert
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Thu, 07 Jun 2001 05:33:25 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Terry Porter wrote:
>>On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 20:27:34 -0600, Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> Since Microsoft so despises the GPL, I propose that the GPL be changed
>>> to prevent the use of GPL'd software on any Microsoft OS!  ;o)
>>>

>>A great idea and I second it, but whats the point ?
>>
>>Microsoft have just demonstrated (MS v/s AT&T) that they will
>>steal your patented code, and then refuse to pay one cent
>>even when you allow them to license it (after the act).
>>
>>How can Microsoft expect Windows pirates to feel the least
>>bit guilty, when MS are themselves pirates on a mammoth
>>scale?
>>
>>--
>>Kind Regards
>>Terry
>>--
>
>And this is exactly why XP is totally insane!
>
>I've worked for very few, probably no companies which
>haven't pirated software at one time or another,
>either intentionally or accidentally.
>
>MS will alienate it's entire customer base.

They haven't already? :-)

[.sigsnip]

                    Microsoft.  When you're not aggravated enough.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:22:40 -0400

Terry Porter wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 02:09:05 -0700, GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > "Christopher L. Estep" wrote:
> >>
> >> "Dave Martel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >> How?
> >>
> >> XP includes a slick little applet called *Remote Assistance* that lets the
> >> user allow anyone (from Microsoft to the smart techie next door neighbor) to
> >> help troubleshoot their PC.
> >>
> >> I do tech support for a living (level 1 CAE/TSR for Comcast Online) and RA
> >> alone is going to make my job tons easier.
>
> Amazing, simply stupendous!
>
> Microsoft finally has the equivalent of telneting into a Windows box,
> something Linux has had since 1993,

and the Unix world since 1985.

>                                     and now all the Windows users who have
> consistently rubished it, are now raving about this 'wonderful feature'!
>

> >> Christopher L. Estep
> >
> > You must be working for the wrong company then... HP has had this little
> > program on the HP Pavillions since Win95.
> > And the computer won't get resolved no better than the guy at the other
> > end either.

> Kind Regards
> Terry
> --
> ****                                                  ****
>    My Desktop is powered by GNU/Linux.
>    1972 Kawa Mach3, 1974 Kawa Z1B, .. 15 more road bikes..
>    Current Ride ...  a 94 Blade
> Free Micro burner: http://jsno.downunder.net.au/terry/
> ** Registration Number: 103931,  http://counter.li.org **

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:23:59 -0400

"Christopher L. Estep" wrote:

> "Dave Martel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Wed, 30 May 2001 11:42:17 -0500, "Chad Myers"
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > >Windows XP will change all that, though. MS is going to quickly
> > >fade out Win9x because of all its shortcomings and failings,
> > >not to mention it's a support nightmare.
> >
> > It's deja vu all over again!
>
> How?
>
> XP includes a slick little applet called *Remote Assistance* that lets the
> user allow anyone (from Microsoft to the smart techie next door neighbor) to
> help troubleshoot their PC.
>
> I do tech support for a living (level 1 CAE/TSR for Comcast Online) and RA
> alone is going to make my job tons easier.

I've been doing that with Unix for over 15 years.

It's funny when LoseDOS morons berate a concept for a decade, and then
rave about it once the Dolts in Redmond finally let the moron-herd have
a taste of it...

> Christopher L. Estep

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Microsoft GPL'S WINDOWS!
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:26:22 -0400

Interconnect wrote:

> Charlie Ebert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > Interesting title.
> >
> > I think we should have a debate right here and now!
> >
> > Would MS remain a monopoly should it GPL all of Windows?
> >
> > Why not?  RedHat, Suse, Mandrake, Caldera, Yellow Dog
> > are all GPL'd linux distributions anybody can download
> > off the net and they are selling like hotcakes at the
> > store.  Comp USA can't hardly keep the boxes on the
> > shelves before they are gone.
> >
> > I'm going to say if they GPL'd Windows MS would
> > probably remain in power.
> >
> > Correct or incorrect thinking?
>
> If this were to happen then I think MS would stay at number one on the end
> users desktop.

Either that, or, once people see how hideously the code is written...
be laughed off the fucking planet

> Since Win98 (OEM) I have not upgraded my Windows software (at home) and I
> never intend to unless there is some compelling reason to do so. Apart from
> games Linux meets all my computing needs at home.
>
> >You decide.
> >

> > --
> > Charlie
> > -------

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:26:58 -0400

Mafoo wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Aaron R. Kulkis"

> > Aaron R. Kulkis
> > Unix Systems Engineer
> > DNRC Minister of all I survey
> > ICQ # 3056642
>
> [snip rest of sig]
>
> Yeah, that's all very well, but it is considered polite to have a
> reasonably short sig, ie one which is not over a page long.

Annoys the fuck out of you, doesn't it.

> Please shorten it, or the penguins will get you.

Make me.

> --
> Matthew Slowe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them,
> One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them
> In the Land of Mordor where the Shadows lie

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
From: Paul Repacholi <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 07 Jun 2001 21:57:36 +0800

"Dean Kent" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> WARNING - shameless plugs follow!!!

> Bill Todd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9fh843$7qm$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > "cjt & trefoil" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> > > Have you ever actually tried to do that?  It's not as easy as
> > > you seem to think.

> > I've used both XCOPY and Partition Magic to replicate a (bootable)
> > partition onto a new disk on the *same* machine: it's easy with
> > the former, and completely painless with the latter.

The fact that you need to turn to 3rd party tools proves that windows
is at best incomplete, or totally broken. Even with them, the Registry
will get you in many cases.

> I think you might want to reconsider the XCOPY method - see here for
> a starter, and follow the links for more details:
> http://www.realworldtech.com/page.cfm?ArticleID=RWT121498000000

A good article, but I thought it totaly missed the sad detail that
none of it should be needed. The fact that you felt you needed to
write it, and rescue the luser shows how short of the mark windows
is.

I can restore a standalone machine in one operation, reliably and
painlessly. This has been the case for decades, and there is now
now excuse for any system to be that way.

--
Paul Repacholi                               1 Crescent Rd.,
+61 (08) 9257-1001                           Kalamunda.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: UI Importance
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 16:36:46 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, GreyCloud
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Wed, 06 Jun 2001 16:34:45 -0700
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Josiah Fizer wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 16:49:01 -0600, Dave Martel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>> wrote:

>> >Still leaving lousy shell scripting and a "choice" of only one shell.
>> >
>> >BTW has MS implemented *real* regular-expression matching yet?
>> >

>> How is there only one choic of shells? I use TCSH on my Windows 2k
>> box.

>> http://www.newsfeeds.com - The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World!
>> -----==  Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----
>
>I've never used Win2k... does it have the basic sh shell, ksh korn
>shell, tsc tenex c shell, or bash?

All should be available with third-party products
such as Cygwin.  Presumably, Cygwin can also be used
as a development platform as well to build shells that
don't come with it.

Not sure if that counts.

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- I'd prefer building on straight Linux, anyway :-)
                    Linux.  The choice of a GNU generation.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: What Microsoft's CEO should do
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 17:00:50 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, GreyCloud
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Wed, 06 Jun 2001 21:06:49 -0700
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>>
>> "GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> with
>> the

>> that
>> with

>> subsystem
>> kernel
>> subsystem
>> >
>> > That was one of MS most dumbest decisions... bringing the GUI into ring
>> > 0.  It should have been kept out in another ring.
>>
>> You're not understanding.  It doesn't matter if it ran in ring 0 or not, if
>> the GUI crashes, so does the OS, even if it's not running in ring 0.
>
>No it does not.  In Solaris there are the ring levels.  To some its
>called Supervisory state. David Cutler got fired over resistance to move
>user into kernel space.  If the two were in different rings... no way
>would a crashing GUI crash the kernel space... you're supposed to rely
>on the processor hardware to keep it kosher.  Even VMS VAX processors
>did the same thing.  I've only seen Xsun crash once and all it did was
>leave you with the console in a corner so that you could restart the X
>server again.  The os stays intact.

Pedant point.

Somehow, I don't think that's an X server (Xsun) crash; that sounds
more like a wm or session manager failure.  OTOH, I'm speaking
generally here; I haven't played with various components of a modern
CDE lately (I don't use it at home and my one workplace where I do
have it, I work contract and haven't had to delve into it lately;
my other workplace is mostly NT desktops, although we have backend
Solaris servers).

If the X server were to crash, you'd either get it restarted with
a login screen (that's happened to me on occasion on HP-UX),
or bang down into a full-screen console with a shell prompt if
one started the X server manually using startx.  There is the
faint possibility that the video wasn't restored properly, which
could lead to peculiar behavior, or that the Sun you're using
actually has some sort of hardware-implemented scrollable text windows
(now that would be very sophisticated).

I occasionally have seen Sun servers look a little weird; the
underlying console prints out a message, scrolling up everything:
graphics, text, and whatnot.  This is silly-looking, but otherwise
harmless -- although refreshing the screen can be tricky if one
can't see where to click the mouse.

Of course, either way: wm crash, session crash, X server crash,
daemon crash, or even a shell crash -- one merely restarts the
affected daemon or server, or at worst logs in again, and gets going.
No reboot needed.

Even NT/Win2k might be able to do this to some extent -- logging out of
the GUI apparently resets it.  Whether that would take care of various
process tree or memory issues is unclear to me.  On Unix, at least,
if a process dies, it takes resources with it, unless killed with -9
(and even then, it tries its level best -- but the only process
I've had to kill with -9 is Netscape, and the only cleanup worries
that I know of is a lock file somewhere; most other things I either
kill, or kill -SIGINT).

I'd have to see what a SIGKILL does in the kernel -- on Linux, at
least, I can do that -- and see if bits are left around.  However,
I doubt much is left, unless the kernel gets in a very weird state.
(All user-level memory is handled through brk or sbrk syscalls anyway;
malloc sits on top of that, parceling out things in user space.
And there are better eyes than mine perusing the code -- either looking
for latent bugs or sinister exploits, depending on viewpoint.)

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- insert random pair of eyes here
                    This is a voluntary signature virus.  Send this to somebody.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 17:08:06 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Aaron R. Kulkis
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Thu, 17 May 2001 18:21:23 -0400
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Ray Fischer wrote:
>>
>> Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >Yes, FROM MEN TO WOMEN.
>>
>> And where do you suppose the men gets AIDS?
>>
>> From women.
>
>Bzzzzzzzt! Wrong.
>There is no transport mechanism for any such infection to happen.
>

>Try again, idiot.

Women don't get wet when they get excited?

My understanding is that even rape victims can get wet, although
I can't say they'd enjoy it (yuck!).  But a woman who's getting
seduced by a man to the point where she soaks through her panties --
wow.

Now, unless I'm mistaken, there's one's vehicle.  Granted, I'm not
sure what the source of the secretions are, though, and whether
it can be infected.