Linux-Advocacy Digest #36, Volume #35             Thu, 7 Jun 01 22:13:05 EDT

Contents:
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (Ray Fischer)
  Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals (flatfish+++)
  Re: Argh - Ballmer ("Paolo Ciambotti")
  Will MS get away with this one?
  Re: Will MS get away with this one? (Rick)
  Re: IBM Goes Gay (.)
  Re: IBM Goes Gay (flatfish+++)
  Re: IBM Goes Gay (.)
  More micro$oft "customer service" (Rick)
  MS patches Exchange 2000 email spy bug
  Re: IBM Goes Gay (flatfish+++)
  Re: Windows advocate of the year. (drsquare)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: UI Importance (drsquare)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (drsquare)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (drsquare)
  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop (drsquare)
  Re: Compiling Knews was: Linux beats Win2K (again) (drsquare)
  Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU! (drsquare)
  Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux starts   getting
good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) (drsquare)
  Re: Best Distribution? (drsquare)
  Re: LINUX PRINTING SUCKS!!!!!!!! (drsquare)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Ray Fischer)
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 01:09:18 GMT

flatfish+++  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>Fear makes a person small.
>
>And poisoning a childs mind

with hatred

--
Ray Fischer         When you look long into an abyss, the abyss also looks
[EMAIL PROTECTED]  into you  --  Nietzsche

------------------------------

From: flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 01:10:36 GMT

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 02:09:19 +0100, pip
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>flatfish+++ wrote:
>>
>> On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 21:00:14 -0400, mlw <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>> >Fear makes a person small.
>>
>> And poisoning a childs mind is sick....
>
>Please could we end this OT debate here ?

HITLER...

How's that :)

flatfish+++
"Why do they call it a flatfish?"

------------------------------

From: "Paolo Ciambotti" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Argh - Ballmer
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 18:15:59 -0700

In article
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'll have to side with you on this one, Paolo.  Now that I recall, a lot
> of federal projects that gave funds to universities that researched a
> particular idea or special projects were classified and later the rights
> were purchased by a private company and then turned around and patented
> or copyrighted the material.  One fellow I know as a welder in a
> shipyard developed the argon gas welding equipment with the help of the
> goverment and he later applied a patent to the process.

And it's become big business for universities.  My old school has a
separate Office of Technology Transfer; if you invent something, you have
to fill out a form and it gets reviewed and if there's any possibility
whatsoever of any profit in it, they'll help you patent it (for their fair
share of the profits, of course).

Back when I was a student there, lo those many long years ago, the
attitude was publish, publish, publish; copyright and patent be damned.
Early peer review and prestige were worth more than money.  I don't
necessarily disagree with current practices; many universities are holding
the line on tuition costs by licensing millions of dollars worth of
patents to corporations every year.  But the public benefit is too often
secondary to the quest for the dollar.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Will MS get away with this one?
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 02:26:31 +0200

http://public.wsj.com/sn/y/SB991862595554629527.html

--
Over 100 security bugs in Microsoft SW last year. An infamous
record. The worst offending piece of SW, by far, IIS. 2001 isn't

------------------------------

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: Re: Will MS get away with this one?
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 21:41:47 -0400

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> http://public.wsj.com/sn/y/SB991862595554629527.html
>
> --
> Over 100 security bugs in Microsoft SW last year. An infamous
> record. The worst offending piece of SW, by far, IIS. 2001 isn't
> looking any better.

m$ will get away with it. They always have, they probably always will.

--
Rick

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: IBM Goes Gay
Date: 8 Jun 2001 01:40:24 GMT

flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Folks, it's a sad day for IBM supporters because apparently they have
> succumbed to the gay pressure and are mobilizing to support this
> deviant lifestyle.

> A recent memo released to IBM employees includes such comments as:

> 1. A "lunch and learn" roundtable on 6/6/01 at 590 Madison ave.
> 2. How IBM plans to attract top gay and lesbian talent.
> 3. The role of IBM's new, dedicated GLBT Sales and Talent team.

> The memo, which is not IBM Confidential of Internal BTW, goes on to
> quote the constitution concerning equal rights and freedom of
> expression and so forth.

> It also gives a contacts which I am leaving out of this post, but if
> you are interested email me.

> So what do ya'll think?

> I find it disgusting that IBM will give benefits to homo's living
> together as if they are married yet 2 heterosexual partners will not
> get the same benefits not that I believe in cohabitation before
> marriage, but you get the idea.

Actually they will, you ignorant slob.  Health insurance for homosexual
couples *always* also covers cohabitation with the opposite sex.

I know this for a fact, because I am using it right now.

> I realize this is controversial, but I have my opinions and IBM and
> the rest of the earth has theirs.
> I'm not judging, just voicing an objection.

Based on your extreme stupidity.

> Only God almighty has the power to judge and his judgement is swift
> and fast.

Would that he would free you from your head ASAP.

=====.

--
"George Dubya Bush---the best presidency money can buy"

---obviously some Godless commie heathen faggot bastard

------------------------------

From: flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 01:42:57 GMT

On 8 Jun 2001 01:40:24 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) wrote:

>> A recent memo released to IBM empl

You are wrong...

Talk to IBM.......

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 8 Jun 2001 01:42:19 GMT

flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 00:37:19 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>>I think it's lousy when employers take a stand on this sort of thing,
>>one way or the other.  Where I work we have annual "sensivity
>>training."  They tell us that what we mean when we speak is irrelavant;
>>it's how our words make people feel that determines whether the
>>words are punishable.

> I agree.

> I have several friends who work for IBM and they are quite upset about
> all of this.
> To quote one male friend of mine:

> "I'd love to se their (IBM's) faces if I showed up wearing a mini
> skirt and pumps one day"

They wouldnt bat an eye, and if you actually did have a friend who worked
for IBM (which you dont, this is more than confirmable, as is your gender;
which is male, as is your age, which is older than you probably wish you
were, as is your identity, etc, etc, etc)

IBM has the same policy about transsexuals.  Dipshit.

=====.

From: Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2001 21:46:42 -0400

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft
Subject: MS patches Exchange 2000 email spy bug
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 03:04:34 +0200

Now how many companies use this to allow their employees to
access their email while offsite? How many of these companies
will hear about the patch far less install it. It doesn't
matter what SW MS develop they are full of security bugs.
Even their ISA firewall has had 2 security bugs found already
the last of which was a total denial of service (a polite
way of saying it crashed :-)

From: flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 01:51:38 GMT

On 8 Jun 2001 01:42:19 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) wrote:

>flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 00:37:19 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>

>>>I think it's lousy when employers take a stand on this sort of thing,
>>>one way or the other.  Where I work we have annual "sensivity
>>>training."  They tell us that what we mean when we speak is irrelavant;
>>>it's how our words make people feel that determines whether the
>>>words are punishable.
>
>> I agree.
>
>> I have several friends who work for IBM and they are quite upset about
>> all of this.
>> To quote one male friend of mine:
>
>> "I'd love to se their (IBM's) faces if I showed up wearing a mini
>> skirt and pumps one day"
>
>They wouldnt bat an eye, and if you actually did have a friend who worked
>for IBM (which you dont, this is more than confirmable, as is your gender;
>which is male, as is your age, which is older than you probably wish you
>were, as is your identity, etc, etc, etc)
>
>IBM has the same policy about transsexuals.  Dipshit.

Call Renee Brown at 212-745-3626 and ask HER about IBM's gay and
lesbian policy.

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows advocate of the year.
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 02:58:21 +0100

On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 08:01:09 +1200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Stuart Fox" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >I also do not believe that Linux is perfect, and it has a long way to go
>> >catch up to Windows in basic useability on the desktop.
>>
>> And Windows has a long way to go to catch up to Linux is terms of
>> basic stability and efficiency on the desktop.
>
>Windows has less far to go to catch up in this regard than Linux does in the
>usuability regard.  Make no mistake, MS are not sitting around doing
>nothing...

No, they're busy working away on piracy prevention and animated paper
clips..

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: UI Importance
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 02:58:22 +0100

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 11:09:19 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Josiah Fizer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 19:10:37 +0100, drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:

>>>So your saying that on Linux the docs just magically appear? or does
>>>someone have to write them? Why wouldn't MS have to write docs for a
>>>new shell? Are you saying that all the curent docs that explain how to
>>>use the WinNT/DOS/Win9x shell wouldn't have to be updated?
>>
>>What the hell are you talking about? We're not talking about a "new"
>>shell. He mentioned above things like ksh, csh, etc, no-one's on about
>>MS writing "new" shells.
>
>You misunderstand. Are you saying that all the curent MS docs that
>describe how to do things from the windows command line wouldn't need
>to be re-written for a news shell (new to the basic windows
>distrabution, ie TCSH etc)?

Couldn't they just incorporate the currently available documentation
for the shell into the MS docs?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 02:58:23 +0100

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 11:11:23 -0700, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Josiah Fizer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 19:10:44 +0100, drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:

>>>But someone *still* has to write this documentation, you know.
>>>And you need to *support* them.
>>
>>As far as I'm aware, documentation for said shells has already been
>>written.
>
>But the syntax for these other shells is diferent then the curent
>Windows shell. If someone calls tech support and is told to type
>
>D:
>cd fubar
>copy widget.exe c:\fubar\widget.exe
>
>and the user is using TCSH, it wont work.

The D: wouldn't work, but that's because of windows' fucked up file
system, but the "cd" and "copy" commands would still be in the path.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 02:58:24 +0100

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 19:03:11 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>> >And what's this vi crap? How DARE you use a screen-oriented text editor?
>> >If your'e gonna be a REAL he-programmer, you should be using ed. }: )
>>
>> It is amazing how bad an outrageously efficient text editing system can
>> be, and still be a de facto standard, don't you think?  It is almost as
>> if, once a few people learn something really well, they will consider it
>> "the best".  Is it simply an effort to avoid learning something better,
>> or is it a rather important indication of just how useless the term
>> 'better' is, when considering someone's preference in software.  Almost
>> as if it really mean 'familiar'.
>
>Vi sucks, and many Unix programmers I've talked to agree that it sucks.
>So why not get rid of it, I asked. Becuase it's everywhere  and
>everybody knows it. Even if there's no other text editor on a Unix
>system, there's always vi.

I'd like to to give reasons as to why it "sucks", and what editor you
would consider superior.

>This does not mean that vi is good, that people don't want to learn
>anything else, or that anything else isn't sufficiently good to replace
>vi. It simply means that vi's history and prevasiveness are what keep it
>alive.

And it's greatness!

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 02:58:25 +0100

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 19:09:48 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Woofbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, drsquare
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> I don't see how you're supposed to search for something like what you
>> typed. I doubt typing "i[intArray]" into google would yield too many
>> results.
>
>Ithink 4,240 results qualifies as "too many."
>
>Never underestimate Google. }: )

Yeah, but I bet most of them are part of a piece of source code or
something...

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 02:58:25 +0100

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 21:13:06 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >Yes? And your point *is*?
>>
>> The poster I was replying to was mentioned how they would be done at a
>> command line.
>
>You were replying to me.

Oh sorry.

>And yes, you can launch GUI applications fromt he CLI, you can give them
>parameters.
>You can also do it from the run menu.

But they are CLIs, and we are discussing launching things from a GUI.

>The most common case is shortcuts, though.

You could do that, but it's a bit of an arse to create/edit a shortcut
just to change a bit of a parameter.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 02:58:26 +0100

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 21:15:30 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

>> >But someone *still* has to write this documentation, you know.
>> >And you need to *support* them.
>>
>> As far as I'm aware, documentation for said shells has already been
>> written.
>
>Not for Windows.
>You'll find that the terminology and the language of Windows' documentation
>is different from other OS'.
>Folder vs Directory, frex.
>
>And are they up to the standards of Windows documentation?

Actually, I don't see the point in porting any shells to windows.
Windows is a GUI orientated OS, and there's not a lot you can do from
the command line apart from launching things and basic file
manipulation.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 02:58:27 +0100

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 20:52:55 +0100, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>>>The shell picks up on rm, so that instead of calling the rm program, it
>>>simply moves the file to the trash directory.
>>>
>>>Something like
>>>
>>>function rm()
>>>{
>>>     mv $* ~/.trash/
>>>}
>>>
>>>would be a very simplistic version in BASH.
>>
>> What's the more complex version?
>
>Something to deal sensibly with command line options since mv has
>different options to rm.
>
>Also, mabey something to keep track of where files came from.

This may be off topic, but one things the Windows command line has
over the Linux one is that in Windows you can do something like "ren
*.aaa *.bbb", which you can't do in Linux, unless you wrote a script
or something.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 02:58:28 +0100

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 14:01:47 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>> >So, you admit that it's a defect.
>>
>> What governmental policies would be required to deal with this "defect"?
>>

>it's not the defect itself that is the problem, it's the BEHAVIOR
>
>BEHAVIOR
>BEHAVIOR
>BEHAVIOR.
>
>Is any of this getting through to you?

The only thing getting through to ME is that you're a completely
backwards right-wing nut. You're probably getting pissed off right now
that Hague's men are taking a good battering. Oh, wait a minute,
you're American aren't you? What's the American equiv. of the Tories?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 02:58:29 +0100

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 14:29:33 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>> >US Centers for Disease Control has the epidemiology of Hepatits
>> >very well documented.
>>
>> But we apparently can't trust this government agency to report
>> transmission methods of AIDS properly.
>
>And the basis for your claim is.....what, exactly

This agency is probably full of conservative rightwing bigots. Like
you.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 02:58:30 +0100

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 15:02:14 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>The Ghost In The Machine wrote:

<snip>
>> - government-mandated taking from the rich and giving to the poor,
>>   "rich" and "poor" being defined by sightly idiosyncratic government
>>   procedures?
>> - dying on the street because of no home, food, and money?
>> - dying on the street because some bozo plays "shoot the target"?
>>
>> And, more to the point, which of these allegedly disgusting scourges
>> should the government or citizenry (ideally, both!) attempt to
>> spend money, energy, or other resources to eradicate, first?
>

>They're ALL disgusting.

All?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compiling Knews was: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 02:58:30 +0100

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 19:25:53 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 19:10:35 +0100, drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>wrote:

>>I doubt they'd be reading linux text files through windows. More
>>likely would be that they would have some html or pdf files, which
>>windows can't cock up.
>
>How else are they going to read them since they haven't installed
>Linux yet?
>Unless they have a Mac.
>Duuuhhh.

Html files view perfectly in Windows. Also, a beginner is more likely
to have some expert helping them, or be reading from a manual in a
boxed set.

>>>No wonder Linux CD's get thrown in the trash before they even have a
>>>chance.
>>
>>And no wonder many of your posts get thrown straight into the killfile
>>before they even have a chance.
>
>Doesn't bother me a bit.

I bet it does really. Every "*plonk*" is another chunk taken out of
your self-esteem.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 02:58:31 +0100

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 20:13:03 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)) wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 20:02:44 GMT, Christopher L. Estep
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Also, merely enabling CD-R/RW support in Linux requires making changes to
>> your kernel.  I know of *no* distribrution that enables SCSI emulation
>> (which all Linux CD-R/RW programs require) by default.
>
>Caldera has it all set up to work via a loadable module.  I use scsi
>emulation to run my IDE tape drive.  I did not have to recompile my
>kernel to do so.
>
>The only reason there is no DVD support on Linux is that nobody is
>selling it, nothing to do with the OS itself.  It is apparently
>impossible to make an open-source player without getting sued.

Since when does it have to be open source?

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 02:58:32 +0100

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 19:19:23 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ("Quantum Leaper" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 23:00:31 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>>  ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen Edwards)) wrote:
>>
>> >Seven rabid koala bears with eucalyptus spittle dribbling from their
>> >mouths told me that [EMAIL PROTECTED] (drsquare) wrote in

>> >It isn't.  And he's still wrong.  The
>> >"F" denotes "Fighter".
>>
>> Looks like Kulkis loses again.
>
>No,  currently the F117A is being use as a light bomber.

It's still technically a fighter.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best Distribution?
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 02:58:33 +0100

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 21:29:43 -0000, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jim Richardson)) wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:52:10 +0100, drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 01:08:37 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,

>>>It won't compile.
>>
>> Of course it compiles.
>
>not without  a main() loop...

Perl doesn't need a main loop, you just dive straight into the
program. That's what makes it so great for small scripts.

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: LINUX PRINTING SUCKS!!!!!!!!
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 02:58:34 +0100

On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 22:08:42 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (Nigel Feltham <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>drsquare wrote:

>>>I like beer but for some strange reason I get a bad headache and feel sick
>>>after just 1 pint so I only drink spirits - I can drink at least 10
>>>vodka&cokes in one evening with no problems.
>>
>> You're probably just gay or something.
>
>I think it's more to do with the quality of lager in pubs around here - I

Lager? I thought you were talking about BEER, not that watery piss!

>can drink the stuff in cans ok and don't get the same problem with most
>bitter type beers either - I prefer spirits though, I tend to change what I
>drink regularly, I am on vodka and coke now but have also had nights of
>only drinking jack daniels, napoleon brandy, malt whisky or bottles or
>vodka or schapps based mixer drinks.

I can't stand all that spirit shite. If you took out all the ethanol,
it would just taste like stagnant water. I prefer drinks like beer
which have their own flavour.

>Life gets too boring if you drink the same thing all the time - same with
>computers, why stick with one system - as well as windows & linux I also
>use emulators for MacOS, Sinclair spectrum, BBC Micro, Amiga, N64, Sega
>Megadrive / Genesis and several other computers, consoles & arcade machines.

The most I've ever emulated is the gameboy and the master system. I
had great fun playing all those cheap and nasty games!

------------------------------

From: drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 02:58:35 +0100

On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 22:44:19 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
 (flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>On Thu, 7 Jun 2001 22:08:42 -0400, Nigel Feltham
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>

>Problem is that they (the pubs) are not cleaning the taps properly and
>that is what leads to the bitter/sour taste of tap beer.

Bitter? Beers supposed to be bitter. But not sour. I wouldn't drink
anywhere that serves sour beer.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 8 Jun 2001 01:53:55 GMT

flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 8 Jun 2001 01:40:24 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) wrote:

>>> A recent memo released to IBM empl

> You are wrong...

> Talk to IBM.......

I am actually not wrong, I am under identical policy, through all the
same companies.

=====.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 8 Jun 2001 01:54:39 GMT

flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 8 Jun 2001 01:42:19 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) wrote:

>>flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> I agree.
>>
>>> I have several friends who work for IBM and they are quite upset about
>>> all of this.
>>> To quote one male friend of mine:
>>
>>> "I'd love to se their (IBM's) faces if I showed up wearing a mini
>>> skirt and pumps one day"
>>
>>They wouldnt bat an eye, and if you actually did have a friend who worked
>>for IBM (which you dont, this is more than confirmable, as is your gender;
>>which is male, as is your age, which is older than you probably wish you
>>were, as is your identity, etc, etc, etc)
>>
>>IBM has the same policy about transsexuals.  Dipshit.

> Call Renee Brown at 212-745-3626 and ask HER about IBM's gay and
> lesbian policy.

What ill do instead is call her and let her know that you just posted her
real name and phone number to usenet, accessable to the entire planet.

I cant wait to see what she says.

=====.