From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The usual Linux spiel... (was Re: Is Open Source for You?)
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 05:21:39 -0400

"T. Max Devlin" wrote:

> Said Ayende Rahien in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Tue, 5 Jun 2001 12:40:48
> >"GreyCloud" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >
> >> Yes with its new Linux O/S no less.  But I know that there are a lot of
> >> new IBM imaging systems that reduce the claustrophobic effects on some
> >> people.
> >> I worked with IBM in military systems and they were no slouches in
> >> getting the best designs out to the field. Very good hardware.
> >> Microsoft doesn't have that kind of organization yet that has to deal
> >> with other than software goods.
> >
> >I disagree here.
> >MS already sells a lot more than just software.
>
> Check the numbers (bottom line, not number of 'products'.)  MS sells
> just software, effectively.  All the books and mice and other stuff are
> just props to support their software market.  They need these, since
> there are no competitive merits to monopoly crapware.  It hardly makes
> them a diverse company, though, regardless of whether you understand the
> meaning of 'monopoly crapware'.
>
> >They sell books.
> >Okay, they sell books *about* software, but they sell books.
> >The also sell some of the best periperials that I've seen.
> >
> >Be aware that if MS wanted to start selling hardware, they could do one of
> >the following:
> >A> Buy a couple of OEMs.
> >B> Buy AMD.
> >C> Develop its own chip. (That would be really cool.)[*]
>
> You have a warped idea of "could".  It isn't physically impossible, no,
> but there is no indication at all, not even a teensy tiny one, that MS
> could ever start selling real hardware and turn a profit.  In fact, if
> they did start selling hardware for profit, they'd lose their
> anti-competitive lock-in on the software monopoly.  If they buy any OEMs
> or make any chips, then no other OEMs or chip makers will have any
> reason to deal with them.
>
>    [...]
> >[*] From past experiance, MS would go to Intel, AMD, Sun, Trasema and every
> >other company that deals with chips, and offer some tempting-as-sin salaries
> >& benefits to them. [...]
>
> You seem to have the intelligence and business acumen of a goat.  From
> past experience, regardless of how they did it, the 'MS chip' would be
> the worst microprocessor ever created, and also the most expensive.

And, based on previous MS products...the only CPU in the world subject
to locking up INTERNALLY

> --
> T. Max Devlin
>   *** The best way to convince another is
>           to state your case moderately and
>              accurately.   - Benjamin Franklin ***

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 05:22:35 -0400

GreyCloud wrote:

> Michael Vester wrote:
> >
> > GreyCloud wrote:
> > >
> > <snip>
> > > When you deal in military systems you always have a high overhead...
> > > mainly due to the need of large human resources.  These designs are
> > > original and take lots of money and time.  One other factor is once they
> > > start production of say 10 or 20 units of whatever hardware they also
> > > have to produce enough spare parts to last the projected hardwares
> > > lifespan.  And this takes a logistics system that can track where those
> > > parts are.  None of this comes by cheaply.  Once you run out of those
> > > spare parts its very costly to shop around for some company that is
> > > willing to tool up and manufacture those parts.
> > >
> > > The original PC was put into the hands of one man...(can't remember his
> > > name as he died in a plane wreck).
> >
> > Philip "Don" Estridge. He designed IBM's original 8088 PC from
> > off-the-shelf components.  Cheap and dirty.
> > --
> > Michael Vester
> > A credible Linux advocate
> >
> > "The avalanche has started, it is
> > too late for the pebbles to vote"
> > Kosh, Vorlon Ambassador to Babylon 5
>
> Yes, and at that time it took on some of the hardware ideas of the Apple
> II.  Look at the apple II card slot structure to the IBM PC card slot
> structure.  It wasn't a knock off but used the best ideas around at the
> time.  The big thing was that IBM legitimized the PC market.  Then
> business started to take the PC seriously.

Which, Ironically, was the key to the unraveling of the IBM mystique.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 05:23:40 -0400

Stephen Edwards wrote:

> Seven rabid koala bears with eucalyptus spittle dribbling from their
> mouths told me that hauck[at]codem{dot}com (Bob Hauck) wrote in
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
> >On Mon, 04 Jun 2001 23:43:14 GMT, Stephen Edwards
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> Seven rabid koala bears with eucalyptus spittle dribbling from their
> >> mouths

> >> That would have required intelligence in order
> >> for him to think of doing that, I suppose.
> >
> >Someone _challenged_ him to do that.  His response was that he wouldn't
> >jump on command.
>
> Bob Hauck defending Aaron Kookis... why am
> I not surprised?

You are truly an idiot.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: GreyCloud <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Compiling Knews was: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 02:22:38 -0700

drsquare wrote:

> On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 23:28:47 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 18:53:59 +0000, "Gary Hallock"
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >>So, you agree.  Linux just worked and Windows failed miserably,
> >
> >No.
> >
> >I am saying some Linux distos worked fine and others failed.
> >Win2k worked fine will Win98se failed.
>
> Well, that doesn't say a lot for Windows98 then does it?
>
> >>Yeh, W2K works, unless you already have one NIC installed.   As I have
> >>mentioned here before, when I installed an ethernet card on my Thinkpad,
> >>it already had a working token ring card.   W2K refused to install the
> >>ethernet and totally screwed things up with no rational error messages
> >>until I uninstalled the token ring card and deleted all references to
> >>TCP/IP.   But, once again, Linux just worked.   Why can't W2K handle
> >>adding a second NIC?
> >
> >Good for you, I have still be unable to get an IBM Token Ring 16/4
> >card working with ANY distribution.
>
> Why would you want a token ring card in the first place?

Well, there is a reason and that reason was based on network congestion
in a lan.
IBM gives it a useability factor of 95%, whereas ethernet gives you 29%
before things bog down.  Get too many users pushing too much traffic and
ethernet collision rates start to climb which is why IBM made token
ring.  The down side is that a good token ring set up requires two
cables or rings instead of one cable. More wiring makes it more
expensive.  But with home networking ethernet moves along at a fast
rate.

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.arch,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: The beginning of the end for microsoft
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 05:26:49 -0400

Peter da Silva wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> Larry Elmore  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > How? Don't they pay M$ per copy they ship? If they don't ship it, they
> > dont have to pay M$ for it. (I know that wasn't always the case, but
> > that was then and this is now)
>
> Then they get the cost of the OS back. If they really do have the option.
>
> > > Oh, Microsoft doesn't let you do that? Well, isn't that the point?
>
> > Umm, didn't Microsoft get nailed in the courts and have to stop that
> > practice some years ago, _before_ the "big" antitrust case?
>
> Technically, yes. In practice, the situation is not much changed.
>
> Have you tried getting a rebate for the copy of Windows you didn't use? Some
> people have managed it. It's no easier than removing a welded-on outboard
> without damaging it.

I think the best remedy is small claims court.

1) It costs them more to defend than to pay you your refund.
2) it officially DOCUMENTS their lying...i.e. a paper trail
3) The paper trail from (2) gives prosecutors another suit.  Heeee!

> > If my analogy was bad, this one is at least as bad -- if it's so easy
> > for the manufacturer/dealer to erase Windows, why can't you just erase
> > it and install BeOS/Linux/FreeBSD/Solaris/etc. and have the "motor" you
> > want?
>
> Sure, you can get a welding torch and cut the motor off. You still don't
> get to buy it without the motor.
>
> > It's not like Windows is "welded on", is it? Nor are you forced to
> > dual-boot. And you could theoretically sell your copy of Windows as long
> > as all traces of it were erased off your machine, right?
>
> Not without violating the license. The last PCs we bought, the license was
> a sticker attached to the case. Even before that, it was labelled "Only for
> sale with a new PC". Sometimes you don't even get physical media, you just
> get a CD image on the second partition you can burn to a CD if you want.
>
> Microsoft really tries very hard to make sure Windows is as "welded" to the
> computer as they can.
>
> --
>  `-_-'   In hoc signo hack, Peter da Silva.
>   'U`    "A well-rounded geek should be able to geek about anything."
>                                                        -- [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>          Disclaimer: WWFD?

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux beats Win2K (again)
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 05:44:40 -0400

Stephen Howe wrote:

> Jim Richardson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:9fk5j4$7ae$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>
> > difference is, when I kill -9 something, the SOB dies, when you
> > ctrl-alt-del and "kill" a task in Windows, you have no idea if it is
> > actually going to die or not. It's been my experience with W9X, that about
> > 50% of the time, the process will not die, and will hose the system,
> > forcing a reboot. With linux, the worst case scenario, is that the process
> > is a zombie, in which case, doing kill -HUP on it's owning process will
> > take care of it.
>
> I have never used Linux before but I can testify the truth of what you are
> saying with Windows 9x.
> Killing processes under Windows 9x is fraught with danger as you do not know
> if it will kill the OS as well.
> Generally I have found that NT 4.0 is more crashproof and 2000 better still
> but still not foolproof.
>
> I am looking forward to setting up Linux.
> I take it for granted that it is 100% crashproof, right?
> No bugs, at all, right? <drooling at the thought>

Lets just say, that if, on a scale of 0-100, Windows has a crash occurance
rating of 50, then Linux has a crash-occurance rating on the order of
10^(-n), where n is some positive number.

> Stephen Howe

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MS at it again
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 05:56:00 -0400

"Donal K. Fellows" wrote:

> Ed Allen wrote:
> > Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> Patent infringement is *NOT* copyright infringement.  Violating a patent
> >> doesn't have anything to do with "stealing code".
> >
> > How can a software patent infringement not involve code ?
>
> There is code involved, sure, but it is not (necessarily) stolen.  Patents
> offer *very* wide protection (which is why they should not be easy to get)
> and anything that uses the same invention is going to be subject to patent
> rules.  This isn't too bad if patents are for genuine innovations (which
> is their intended use) but there has been a suspicion for a while that the
> USPTO is not very good at figuring out whether a patent really should be
> granted in the software arena...
>
> Anyway, the upshot of patent law is that you can infringe someone's patent
> on some software concept without ever seeing their code or even reading
> documentation on the patented thing (and that includes the patent itself.)
> So Erik is (presumably) right in this case.

Just as you can infringe on a NON-software patent even if you have never
seen the patented mechanism or process.

Patents cover ALL uses of the methodology, regardless of development lineage.

In contrast, __COYPRIGHTS__ only apply to derived works, and thus,
independantly developed works are not sanctioned.

> Donal.
> --
> Donal K. Fellows    http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~fellowsd/    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> -- This may scare your cat into premature baldness, but Sun are not the only
>    sellers of Unix.            -- Anthony Ord <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Best Distribution?
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 05:57:43 -0400

Edward Rosten wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "drsquare"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >>GAK!
> >>
> >>I wouldn't have noticed if you didn't point it out :-)
> >
> > Never mind, I bet the spam bots will never pick up any addresses like
> > [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED], or even [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> You really are a wanker.

HA!

> -Ed
>
> --
> (You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)
>
> /d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
> r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
> d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.