  Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop ("Aaron R. Kulkis")

From: Macman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: UI Importance
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 14:07:42 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
 drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 8 Jun 2001 06:07:03 +0200, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> >documentation

> >> Actually, I don't see the point in porting any shells to windows.
> >> Windows is a GUI orientated OS, and there's not a lot you can do from
> >> the command line apart from launching things and basic file
> >> manipulation.
> >
> >You can do a lot from the CLI.
> >You just nead to delve into it and learn.
>
> Edit the registry? Install/remove windows components? Even some things
> you can do with the CLI you can't do without the GUI loaded as well.

Not quite true -- at least fo editing the registry.

It's possible to edit the registry from DOS -- at least in Win98 and
presumably WinME. I don't know about Win2K or XP, though.

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 16:07:52 +0100

> : anything to be proud of... as a whole. Yes it did step into WWII and
> : WWI, which is good, but in the last 30 years it has been intervening
> and
>
> I think our exploits there have been over rated.  If we stopped
> supplying computers to Germans at start of war, well after we knew what
> they were going to use them for then thousands of Jews could have
> escaped. IBM and Kodak made money from Germans the whole war.

Er, no one was supplying computers to the Germans at the start of the
war, since at that time, the only contry with a real computer at that
time was Germany. The US didn't get computers until the 1940's (mabey
1943, IIRC).

-Ed

--
(You can't go wrong with psycho-rats.)               (u98ejr)(@)(ecs.ox)(.ac.uk)

/d{def}def/f{/Times-Roman findfont s scalefont setfont}d/s{10}d/r{roll}d f 5 -1
r 230 350 moveto 0 1 179{2 1 r dup show 2 1 r 88 rotate 4 mul 0 rmoveto}for/s 15
d f pop 240 420 moveto 0 1 3 {4 2 1 r sub -1 r show}for showpage

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
starts    getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 16:08:57 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
"pip" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Edward Rosten wrote:
>>
>> > Also consider the fact that while Americans can buy a gun and serve
>> > in the military at age 18, they can't even sit down at a bar and
>> > order a beer. Young people I know think it's a stupid law (with good
>> > reason), but do they vote? No, but do they ever bitch! So please
>> > don't tell me that being born an American gives you a biological
>> > intuition about how to properly function in a democracy.
>>
>> We have similar idiotic laws. By 17, you can drive a car and start a
>> family, but you can't vote or own property.
>
> Who cares ? At that age I was too busy trying to get some sex to notice
> a few years difference :)

LOL!

>> And heaven help anyone who buys a house built on a public right of way.
>
> Yes, can you imagine having these rambler types parading through you
> garden and commenting on your begonias? Ekkk :)

Sounds pretty bad. It's worse if your house (not justy garden) is on the
right of way, since you have to let them through by law.

-Ed

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Argh - Ballmer
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 16:12:15 +0200

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Dan Pidcock"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 13:56:57 +0200, "Mart van de Wege"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Dan Pidcock"
>><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> That's as maybe, but can you distribute modules for GPLd programs not
>>> under the GPL?
>>>
>>> Dan
>>> remove .hatespam to reply
>>
>>I already tried to answer that with my post further up the thread. I may
>>try to clarify with an example:
>>The GIMP is a good graphics manipulation program, especially for
>>hobbyists. What is keeping it back for professional use is the lack of
>>color correction/separation features. The GIMP developers can't
>>incorporate those, as the pertinent algorithms are patented (for example
>>Pantone). Nothing prevents a company from developing a color correction
>>plugin for the GIMP and sell it, even if they sell it binary only.
>>HOWEVER, if this company decides to sell the GIMP along with this
>>plugin, and advertises the color correction abilities of their version
>>of the GIMP as core functionality, they must GPL their plugin. This is
>>exactly the way the GIMP works around the LZW patent. Legally in the US
>>the GIMP can't be distributed with GIF manipulation abilities under the
>>GPL, as the LZW patent would impose more restrictions on redistribution
>>than the GPL, and this is forbidden under the GPL. So the GIF plugins
>>are distributed seperately, from a server in Finland. Hope this
>>clarifies it a bit,
>
> Thanks Mart that's somewhat clearer.  So in the example above the
> company could sell their colour plugin with GIMP if they advertised it
> as "colour corr plugin, with each of these you get a free copy of GIMP
> as it's useless without GIMP"?
> The program I am thinking of is actually a library (3d modelling library
> Svlis http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ensab/G_mod/Svlis/install.html). Currently
> it is free and with a commercial license for commercial use. The author
> is releasing it as 'copyleft' next release, I think using GPL.  So if I
> wrote a front-end 3D modeller GUI using this library could I sell it
> commercially as long as I included the source to the library?  As far as
> I can tell the answer is no I am not free to do that.  What if I were to
> negotiate royalties with the author of the library - can they do this or
> are they also bound by GPL?
>
> Dan
> remove .hatespam to reply

Ok, Sorry for the mostly quoted text, but it is relevant for the context:
If you plan anything like that, *consult a lawyer* or the FSF! It should
not be a problem to distribute 3rd party plugins for a program under the
current GPL, however as soon as the plugin becomes a library you will
enter a *huge* grey area, where the more zealous GPL defenders will call
it a violation, and the more reasonable ones will let you get away with
it. This is the one thing that must be tested in court.
I think it would be somewhat unclear whether a 3rd party plugin could be
sold along wiht the GIMP, but it sounds like a possible interpretation of
the GPL. It is up to the copyright holders and maybe the courts to decide
whether this interpretation *is* reasonable.
Clear cut cases like VirtualDub are easy, it is in this grey area where
the GPL is lacking. Of course the FSF will take a hard line, that is why
civilized countries have civil courts, to mediate this.
If the author of a library is the sole copyright holder then of course
he is free to negotiate a separate license with you.

Mart

--
Gimme back my steel, gimme back my nerve
Gimme back my youth for the dead man's curve

------------------------------

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux is shit
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 16:16:31 +0100

>> That's quite good going.
> Actually it was $3500 for the Access database design, and $150 a month
> to print 1000 statements, each 1/4 strip of an A4 page, guilotined from
> the std A4 stock, The Epson Stylus was modified by me to take these thin
> strips, which resylted in the heads flying back and fro only over that
> particular area.

Neat.

> <snip>
>>> I wonder if a roller kit is available?
>>
>> I don't know. I think it's the mechanism to lift bthe paper on t the
>> rollers at the back that's a little sticky. Some oil might fix it.
> Oil on paper is not a nice look, thin grease perhaps?

Probably a better idea, come to think of it.

> personally I think the roller surface has become 'smoothed' by years of
> paper pulling, and that why it wont pickup properly ?

<checks> Actually, it does seem quite smooth. Although the paper isn't
always lifted up properly.

> You could remove the roller and put it in a lathe, and use some fine
> sandpaper to ruff it up again ?

I fon't have my own lathe :-( but I could probably compromise (or use one
of the lathes in my department).

> If this is it, then most of your other rollers will be in a similar
> state and a roller kit would be cool. Hp make them for their lasers.

I's certainly buy one.

>> That is pretty poor service. I was also deeply disappointed with the
>> manual for the 930c. The manual for the 500 was 5x as thick and in 1
>> language instead of 10, so it had a lot more content. The manual
>> actually contained the entire definition of PCL4 amongst other things.
>> The new manual tells you to check if the printer is plugged in.
>> Definitely a big drop in quality there.
>
> Yep, HP is a shaddow of its former self.

That printer gave me a lot of loyalty to HP since it was in many ways
very good. But HP are doing a good job of losing that now.

-Ed

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 14:18:28 GMT

T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Are you that new to Usenet, Stephen?  Everyone sounds like a pompous
>arrogant ass;

Some more than others.

------------------------------

From: John Jensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 14:18:35 GMT

In comp.sys.mac.advocacy T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Said John Jensen in comp.os.linux.advocacy on 4 Jun 2001 21:58:09 GMT;

>> You've got the old time religion, a belief in "absolute good" and
>> "absolute evil" in UI.
>>
>> You've got it so bad, you think I must be arguing different absolutes,
>> rather than against the whole idea.

> No, I think he has a point.  He goes too far with it, certainly, but the
> fact is, there *is* an issue of objective efficiency in interface
> design.  Sure, opinions vary, as requirements do as well, so no one
> interface is "the perfect UI".  But he also has a point that there are
> still badly designed interfaces.

I'll give you this much:

  I think it is possible to discuss "better" and "worse" UIs, but only
  in the context of a target audience.

IMO it is mis-application of what we (the industry) have learned about UI
to discuss it without defining the target audience (or to assume that what
you've learned in one audience will totally carry over into another).

John

------------------------------

From: George P. Nelson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The Return of Microsoft
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 14:18:58 GMT

Charlie Ebert wrote:
[snipped]
> I actually believe that MS will completely
> dominate the internet to the point that
> NO OTHER OS will be allowed to use it.

- - never underestimate what a monoply with the ethical standards and
business  practices of a hungry great white shark can do!

> And I'm certain that's what we are facing
> in as little as 2 years.
FWIW, I believe you're right.

George Nelson
- - ALinux desktop outpost on North Carolina's Outer Banks

------------------------------

From: "Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 16:20:17 +0200

In article <9fqm1h$t56$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Ayende Rahien"
<don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<snip stuff>

> I don't think so.
> How does the GIMP handle it's plugins? Do they load to the same memory
> space, or are they completely seperate process. If the former, the GPL
> FAQ indicate that they must be GPL

Honestly, I can't tell you this fast. I do think that they would be
separate, as the GIMP will accept just about anything as a plugin, even
Perl scripts. Check the code, it is supposed to be quite readable, and
don't forget that what is separate in a technical sense, is not
necessarily seperate in a legal sense.
Note that the GPL FAQ will give you an extreme interpretation of the GPL,
as the FSF is obviously biased. In real life the answers will always be
more moderate, as no judge will always find one party completely in the
right in unclear cases like this. In these cases, a judge's decision will
always be a compromise. It may be biased one way, but a compromise
nonetheless.

Note for both you and Dan, my only experience with law is 2 years of law
school, and that was in Dutch law. Our justice system is inquisitorial,
not adversarial as in the US, so my interpretation of the facts is
heavily biased as well.

Mart

From: "Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SourceForge hacked!
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 16:22:16 +0100

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Pete
Goodwin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> In article <9fl5m4$5ic$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, [EMAIL PROTECTED] says...
>> > Implying it does not mean I said it.
>>
>> In the real world, it equated to the same thing. if you imply somthing
>> people will assume you mean it. if you keep implying things that you
>> don't mean, then you're an idiot.
>
> I am not responsible for other people's assumptions. You are the idiot
> if you make up such assumptions!

You're the idiot who can't express himself. Either that or you can
express yourself and you're now lying about what you meant. So which is
it? Idiot or liar?

>> > "Widely"? By a few posters?
>>
>> Enough people. But yet you took no action to correct them, because that
>> is what you meant.
>
> Two people does not constitute enough in my book.

What about more than 2 (ie the number of people who misinterpreted your
post)?

>> > Mean what, exactly? What words are you trying to fit into my mouth?
>>
>> I'm not trying to fit anything in to your mouth. You're trying to say
>> stuff without saying it so people can't actually say you said it when
>> you look like an idiot (ie frequently).
>
> If I did not say it, then how can you say that you assume that's what I
> meant?

You implied it.

> Hint: "assume".

You implied it.

> You assumed it, not me.

You implied it.

>> > I'm not responsible for what others imply, infer or misinterpret from
>> > my
>> >  comments.
>>
>> You are if you write your comments in a way designed to be
>> misinterpreted, which you do.
>
> I'm not responsible for this or any other assumptions you might make. I
> did not design my post to be misinterpreted. You misinterpreted it,  not
> me.

bollocks.

-Ed

From: chrisv <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are a threat to heterosexuals
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 14:24:32 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) wrote:

>> Basic training is all about recognizing, alleviateing, and combating
>> dangers of all sorts.
>
>Its actually all about volunteering to die for absolutely no reason at
>all.

Oh there's always a reason.  Usually like "we kill a bunch of them,
they kill a bunch of us, and in the end, things are the same they
always have been."

------------------------------

From: John Jensen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 14:25:07 GMT

In comp.sys.mac.advocacy T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Said John Jensen in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sun, 03 Jun 2001 21:25:22

>>This is a complex question.  There have been some pretty good choices
>>for PC operating systems, but most people decided to stick with
>>Microsoft.

> "Decided to not decide", you mean?  As in, didn't have a choice?

This argument is usually made by people with an agenda.  I certainly remember
choices through the whole thing.  I used CP/M 86 before the IBM PC showed
up, and I remember that OS being made available for the PC very early.
Dozens of OSes have shown up for the PC architecture since then.

There was always someone who could decide to use them.  Microsoft's OSes were
certainly the most promenent choice, and the nearest to a default choice that
we've ever seen, but it was a choice.

John

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 17:12:23 +0200

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Suppose I wanted to set a -r parameter to a command. How would I go
> about doing that? Take your time.

>From a shortcut?
Propeties>Shortcut> Target, add the -r parameter in the end of the file
path, with a space before it.
Apply or OK will do the trick then.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 10:36:43 -0400
Crossposted-To: misc.invest.stocks
Subject: what the heck is going on with the NYSE?
From: Anonymous <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

what the heck is going on with the NYSE?
How can a "computer problem" halt trading?
I thought their networks were fault tolerant!

Maybe they should use a Linux fault tolerant
cluster!

IBM, please help the NYSE out!

  --------== Posted Anonymously via Newsfeeds.Com ==-------
     Featuring the worlds only Anonymous Usenet Server
    -----------== http://www.newsfeeds.com ==----------

------------------------------

From: "Ayende Rahien" <don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 17:41:39 +0200

"Macman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> It's possible to edit the registry from DOS -- at least in Win98 and
> presumably WinME. I don't know about Win2K or XP, though.

You do it with Reg on XP & 2K, how do you do it in 9x?

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 10:57:08 -0400

"." wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> Recruits?
>
> > Absolutely not.
>
> > Basic training is all about recognizing, alleviateing, and combating
> > dangers of all sorts.
>
> Its actually all about volunteering to die

The purpose of military is NOT to die for one's country....

or, as the DI in "Full Metal Jacket" so eloquently put it:

" [describing a screw up] and then you'll be DEAD Marines....and then you'll
REALLY be in a world of shit, because Marines don't die without permisssion."

> for absolutely no reason at all.

Do you enjoy your constitutional freedoms?

a) no
B) YES

If so, thank a soldier.

> -----.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.

------------------------------

From: "Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Why Linux Is no threat to Windows domination of the desktop
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 10:59:08 -0400

"." wrote:

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >> Do you claim to *not* be a conservative right wing bigot?
>
> > Simple, I'm a libertarian.
>
> Ah, so am I.  I have a feeling, however, that I am a libertarian in the
> truest sense of the word; id almost call myself a jeffersonian democrat.
>
> > Right wingers, just like left-wingers, are socialists.
>
> > Since libertarianism is fundamentally opposed to ALL forms of socialism,
> > then, for as long as I am a libertarian, I can NOT be a right winger.
>
> Ah, you are a MICHIGAN libertarian.  Thats entirely different.  Michigan
> libertarians actually are right wing, conservative bigots.

Please document one socialist policy which I support.

> I know.  I know at least a dozen of them.
>
> If you were an actual libertarian, you would be concerned with the right
> and the work of keeping your own back yard clean to your discression, and
> you wouldnt give a shit about *anyone* elses.

The right to swing your arms ends where my nose begins.

The right to collect and trade deadly, communicable diseases ends
where MY health begins.

> -----.

A:  The wise man is mocked by fools.