good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!) ("Chad Myers")

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: Microsoft - WE DELETE YOU!
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 15:13:22 GMT

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 02:58:31 +0100, drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Thu, 07 Jun 2001 20:13:03 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)) wrote:

> >The only reason there is no DVD support on Linux is that nobody is
> >selling it, nothing to do with the OS itself.  It is apparently
> >impossible to make an open-source player without getting sued.

> Since when does it have to be open source?

It doesn't, but nobody is making a commercial one either.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

From: Frog2 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 8 Jun 2001 15:14:47 -0000
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are a threat to heterosexuals

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (.) wrote:
> > Basic training is all about recognizing, alleviateing, and combating
> > dangers of all sorts.
>
> Its actually all about volunteering to die for absolutely no reason at
> all.

i agree with this poste
                        jackie 'anakin' tokeman

100%

men fear thought as they fear nothing else on earth - more than ruin,
more even than death
 - bertrand russell

------------------------------

From: flatfish+++ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Here's a switch for a change
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 15:22:57 GMT

I just got back from an early morning visit to the local CompUSA and
while browsing the aisles this guy and his wife come in carrying what
appears to be a PC and a box containing Windows98ME upgrade.

He's demanding to talk to the store manager because Windows wiped out
all of his data which contained some kind of a web based research
project (best I could gather in between screams).

They plug in the system and use a display on the shelf and
keyboard/mouse and sure enough when he boots up the entire system
freezes with a BSOD complaining about corrupt files.
Of course the idiot had no current back up and he said everything was
fine until he installed the Win98me upgrade which he paid $125.00 for,
so he said.

This guy was going ballistic and putting on quite a show and when he
started screaming about how Windows sucks and CompUSA should be sued
for selling inferior programs and so forth someone said why don't you
run Linux?

Another person picked up RedHat from the shelf and handed to him and
the thing ended when the manager evidently gave him the program for
free if he would take his system and leave.
This guy was also HUGE at about 6'5" or more and 275lbs at least.

I thought it was so funny I almost forgot what I went there for in the
first place.

flatfish+++
"Why do they call it a flatfish?"

------------------------------

From: Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM Goes Gay
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 01:54:04 -0700

"." wrote:

> Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > flatfish+++ wrote:
> > <snip dubious content>
> >>
> >> Only God almighty has the power to judge and his judgement is swift
> >> and fast.
> >>
> >> flatfish+++
> >> "Why do they call it a flatfish?"
>
> > Flatfish is religous??? Seems to believe in the nasty and vengeful version
> > of god. Isn't lying one of the "Ten Commandments"?
>
> Is it beyond reason that flatfish is religious?

I guess not.

> It makes absolutely perfect sense to me.  Play the fool with the possibility,
> the barest potential of functional brain matter...
>
> Mention god and remove all doubt.

God is the answer to those who don't ask questions. I agree but I guess I
am a bit dissapointed.
> -----.
>
> --
> "George Dubya Bush---the best presidency money can buy"
>
> ---obviously some Godless commie heathen faggot bastard

I appreciate the satire of your sig. Personally, I liked McCain.

--
Michael Vester
A credible Linux advocate

"The avalanche has started, it is
too late for the pebbles to vote"
Kosh, Vorlon Ambassador to Babylon 5

------------------------------

From: Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 01:57:55 -0700

Edward Rosten wrote:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "flatfish+++"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Only God almighty has the power to judge and his judgement is swift and
> > fast.
> >
> > flatfish+++
> > "Why do they call it a flatfish?"
>
> Shame there isn't a "thou shalt not troll" commandment :-)

How about "Thou shalt not bear false witness." According to most Christian
theological view points, I know they are wide and varied, Flatfish is
going to hell.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Thrippleton)
Subject: Any lICQ users here?
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 16:08:09 +0000

        If so, questions need answering. Is it just a problem with my
version, or have the protocols on WinICQ clients been changing recently?
Recently, I've been unable to send messages directly to more and more
Windows users. Some ICQ servers kick me off saying invalid protocol number,
and file transfers to me result in errors in the log about 'TCP v6
encryption'. What the f*ck are AOL playing at?

Richard

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 15:33:51 GMT

On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 04:05:34 GMT, T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Said Bob Hauck in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Tue, 05 Jun 2001 15:45:03
> >On Tue, 05 Jun 2001 14:37:22 GMT, T. Max Devlin
> ><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> >> In theory, an ISP could run thousands of hosts on one mainframe.  Such
> >> an ISP would go out of business, though.  It is not an efficient way to
> >> spend money, that's all.
> >
> >Have you actually calculated the costs?
>
> No, but I presume that ISPs have.

So, you haven't calculated the costs, and you don't know what
conclusion ISP's who have done so have come to.  You merely "presume".
But please, don't let that stop you from making pronouncements on the
subject.

At least one ISP has done exactly what you say is so illogical.

> >There should be a breakeven point where the mainframe is cheaper per
> >host, since the cost to add another is $0 vs ~$1000 for the RaQ.  The
> >only question is whether or not that point is within the capacity of
> >the mainframe.
>
> And the answer is provided by the fact that it is not within the
> capacity of the purchaser of the mainframe.  It would be a massively
> illogical approach.

I guess you'd better clue Telia in then:
        <http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1003-200-4028271.html>

> Don't you understand distributed processing at all?

Do you?  Or do you merely "presume" a lot of things?

> I don't need to have performed the calculations of either bits or bucks
> to know this is the case.  Your position is an argument from ignorance,

Now, _that_ is funny.  You haven't calculated any costs, checked on
what others have done, or posted any actual facts at all, merely
"presumed", and you claim that _I_ am making an argument from
ignorance.  Ok, I'll spell it out for you since you seem to be unable
to do any research on your own.

The CNet article above has a price included.  The mainframe costs $3
million and it will have 1500 virtual servers.  That looks like $2000
per virtual server to me, which is in the same ballpark with 1U PC
servers.  If the mainframe is cheaper to administer, which seems likely
compared to 1500 PC's, then it is a net win.  And as you add more
virtual servers, it gets cheaper per server, rather than staying
constant as with PC servers.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

From: "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: I propose a GPL change...
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 15:40:20 GMT

"Erik Funkenbusch" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:7zQT6.9057$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> Sadly, patents have become shields.  Instead of gaining patents on truly
> inovative technologies, companies (including MS) get patents to protect
them
> from being sued by others.  I know of no case of MS *EVER* suing a company
> over patent infringement, despite their having thousands of patents.

It depends on the company. Many semiconductor companies, especially the
likes of Lucent (Bell Labs), Texas Instruments, and Motorola, actively use
their patent portfolio to exact royalties from other companies that produce
semiconductors. Only in rare cases do these negotiations end in lawsuits. I
worked for a company a few years ago, and around the time we hit $100M in
revenue, the big guys started showing up and discussing patent royalties. At
that point, the value of our patent portfolio became more readily apparent,
since we were able to offset the royalty payments by cross-licensing our
patents with theirs. On the other hand, the negotiations are carried out by
lawyers, not engineers, so the number of patents often matters more than
their actual value.

-- Mike --

------------------------------

From: Anonymous Coredump <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri,  8 Jun 2001 17:43:17 +0200 (CEST)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 8 Jun 2001 15:45:34 GMT

Edward Rosten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>> Didn't you call someone a limey in a recent post? I suppose that's not
>>> as bad as being a homophobe, although I'm not sure why.
>>
>> I might have.  I hate the english.
>>
>> -----.

> Racism is comtemptible.

Hating the english isnt racism, its nationalism.

=====.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: UI Importance
Date: 8 Jun 2001 15:46:58 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 8 Jun 2001 03:10:49 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)) wrote:

>>> This may be off topic, but one things the Windows command line has
>>> over the Linux one is that in Windows you can do something like "ren
>>> *.aaa *.bbb", which you can't do in Linux, unless you wrote a script
>>> or something.
>>
>>Yes, actually you can, and theres a dozen different ways to do it
>>IN EACH SHELL.
>>
>>It is becoming plain that you simply dont know anything about computers
>>in general, let alone operating systems, let along linux.

> OK then, please explain how it can be done.

regex.

=====.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Subject: Re: Argh - Ballmer
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 15:54:52 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Charlie Ebert
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Fri, 08 Jun 2001 11:53:08 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, T. Max Devlin wrote:
>>Said Erik Funkenbusch in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Sat, 2 Jun 2001
>>>"Charlie Ebert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>>>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>>>funds
>>>should
>>>public

>>>Charlie.  Grow a brain.
>>
>>Charlie Ebert - grow a brain?  You aren't new around here, Erik.  You
>>must know that is a silly idea.
>>

>No it's not.  There is no reason any software developed with
>TAX DOLLARS should be put under a copyrighted license.

If software developed with tax dollars isn't copyrighted
(presumably under the developer), what's the point?  Someone
could steal it, make minor changes, and then copyright it themselves
under *their* brand.  Not that copyright would prevent that, but
at least the government would have a case that it's their software
that was modified.

I would submit that software developed with tax dollars should
be copyrighted, much like any other software.  Granted, one
might require that the copyright comes with a rider clause
requiring that everyone can use this software and have free access
to the source code thereof; this is somewhat like GNU in that respect.

Note also that the GNU is a copyright license in its own right, AFAICT.
It's just an extremely permissive one. :-)

>All software developed by the U.S. Government, written in house
>or funded and written by a contractor should be GPL'd.

Dunno about going that far.  There may be international issues,
for example; also, it's far from clear that the GPL is as free
as it should be.  (It's far from clear that it isn't, either.)

I'd frankly have to study the issue in some detail; since I'm not
a lawyer, it's not clear how useful that would be. :-)

[.sigsnip]

                    The EAC doesn't exist, but they're still watching you.

------------------------------

From: "Mike" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,misc.invest.stocks
Subject: Re: Linux on Itanium
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 15:57:55 GMT

"Kenny Chaffin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

> This could _really_ be the beginning of the end for Microsoft...

I'd like to follow up by predicting the end of Cobol. Yes! Really!

Well, okay, I've been predicting that every year since... well, since before
many of you were old enough to play video games... (oh hell, I've been
saying it since _before_ video games) and it's going to come true one of
these years... Just to be safe, though, I'm keeping all my old Cobol books
for when the Y2038 bug strikes...

What else can we predict the end of?

   Cobol
   Apple (as Ayende pointed out)
   Amiga
   comp.sys.amiga
   8088 compatibility in x86 processors
   ftp
   archie and veronica
   WordStar
   Corel

   The World? (what the hell, might as well think big... guess I'd better
bone up on that book too...)

-- Mike --

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob S. Wolfram)
Date: 8 Jun 2001 09:13:45 GMT

Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>"Rob S. Wolfram" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>> Erik Funkenbusch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> >You cannot patent code, you can only patent algorithms.
>> >
>> >There is much GPL'd and free software that violates patents as well, for
>> >instance vorbis ogg is claimed to still violate the mp3 patents.
>>
>> Or so the spokesman for the patent holders says. The ogg people claim
>> differently, as does the FSF. I believe the latter, because I haven't
>> seen a lawsuit from the patent holder yet.
>
>Which is exactly my point (which you snipped).  The typical response, even
>by free software, is to ignore claims of patent infringement until a lawsuit
>is brought.

Indeed, and this is likely to happen when ogg gaines some marketshare,
but then I believe that it will only be an attempt to use the power of
money to try to stiffle the competition.

IMO, in this particular case, there is no real patent infringement,
because both the patents <http://www.mp3licensing.com/patents.html> and
the ogg source code <http://www.xiph.org/ogg/vorbis/download.html> are
out in the open. If there was a real patent infringement, I think we
would have heard all gory details by now. BTW, the statement by the VP
of the patent holders is very weak: "We doubt very much that they are
not using Fraunhofer and Thomson intellectual property" (details at
<http://news.cnet.com/news/0-1005-200-4101023.html>).

Also, my opinion is based on the unambigious statement by the FSF at
<http://www.fsf.org/philosophy/audio/audio.html#TOCGuide>. I think that
RMS & Co. do somne research before making statements like these...

Cheers,
Rob
--
Rob S. Wolfram <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  OpenPGP key 0xD61A655D
   Anyway the :// part is an 'emoticon' representing a man with a

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows makes good coasters
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 11:08:02 -0500

"The Ghost In The Machine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Chris Ahlstrom
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 09 May 2001 11:45:50 GMT
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> >Steve Sheldon wrote:
> >>
> >[a lot of troll-shit snipped]
> >
> >Guys, Steve here is obviously trolling.
> >
> >> Yes, crashing out of X-Windows back to a console is pretty routine.
> >
> >Just one example.
>
> X *does* crash routinely -- on dodgy hardware.  This no more
> reflects on the goodness (or badness) of X's design, any more
> than a failing fuel pump causing hesitations and stalls
> reflects badly on the manufacturer of an automobile,
> or its design thereof.
>
> Personally, I think X is a solid design, and it's network
> transparent to boot.  I don't think there have been any
> changes to X's protocol since X11 came out.  Additions,
> yes -- but no changes.  X was even able to slip in the client-side
> XImage stuff, somehow.
>
> Contrast that to 'LineToEx'.  Or is it 'MoveToEx'?  Strange that
> Microsoft would have to release a new version of such a simple
> graphics instruction.  And then there's 'MulDiv', which is in
> a strange place last time I looked.
>
> While it is possible to make Windows network-transparent (by
> replacing a DLL or two or dozen), as far as I can tell, it would not
> be as clean a design.

But it works, which is something you can't really say for X.

It's rather have it be a little more difficult to make it transparent
(terminal services) and have it work, then the counter.

But Windows now has both, so it's irrelevant.

-c

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux  starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 11:09:50 -0500

"drsquare" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 04:05:14 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  (T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:
>
> >Said drsquare in alt.destroy.microsoft on Thu, 07 Jun 2001 12:52:06

> >>You really are paranoid and fucked up.
> >
> >Why?  Because he actually feels that democracy and freedom are better
> >than oppression of the individual and communism?
>
> No, because he feels that a negative view on patriotism equates to a
> positive view on communism. And secondly because he has an irrational
> paranoia of communism.

Negative views on patriotism basically means that you feel that
anyone who is proud of their country is "fucked up". Independent
thought and views are being repressed. Sounds like Communism to me!

-c