From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linux dead on the desktop.
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 11:13:21 -0500

"Mart van de Wege" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> In article <3b20d83a$0$94306$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, "Chad Myers"
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > "Jan Johanson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:3b204db4$0$214$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >>
> >> "Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> >> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> >> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> >> Can you embed a spreadsheet application within a word processing
> >> document all within a slide show presentation? Clicking on any section
> >> allows full power editing of that item within the native app.
> >
> > Hell, that's not just O97, that's Windows in general =)
> >
> > -c
> >

> Sorry, but StarOffice *can* do that. I just tried it a few weeks ago in
> response to that same argument from Erik Funkenbusch. Nice try though.

It *can* do that with any Windows application which is Windows logo
compliant?

Wow, that's new. It's a Java app too, right? That's a miracle.

-c

------------------------------

From: Michael Vester <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Windows advocate of the year.
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 02:44:59 -0700

"Aaron R. Kulkis" wrote:

> Stuart Fox wrote:
> >
> > "Michael Vester" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > NT/W2K should only run one application per server. You need a separate
> > > computer for file sharing, printing, DHCP, Exchange. Put more than one
> > > application on a server, and you will have problems. Also, NT/W2K servers
> > > should number about 1 for every 20 users.
> >
> > With your servers separated that way, you should be able to support between
> > 500 - 1000 users on NT/2K, without daily/weekly reboots.
> >
> > > How NT/W2K ever managed to pass its self off as a stable server platform
> > > will continue to baffle me.
> >
> > We consistently run servers with at least three monthly uptimes.  Of course,
> > YMMV
>
> Of course....Stuart fails to mention that none of those 3-month uptimes
> are on his LoseDOS machines.

Seeing is believing.  Every losdos system I have seen has very short
uptimes.  With 800 - 1000 users, it would lockup in a week, tops.  Any
company that has foolishly chosen to rely on losedos, have instituted
weekly reboots. Even with that, there are still many reliability issues.

--
Michael Vester
A credible Linux advocate

"The avalanche has started, it is
too late for the pebbles to vote"
Kosh, Vorlon Ambassador to Babylon 5

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.aol-sucks,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Subject: Re: Laugh, it's hilarious.
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 11:15:47 -0500

"Robo210" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> With how bad AOL is, it should be considered a virus. :-))

Heh, exactly. If I would have receieved that email, I probably
would've taken it seriously =)

-c

------------------------------

From: "Daniel Johnson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Justice Department LOVES Microsoft!
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 16:16:18 GMT

> Said Daniel Johnson in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Wed, 06 Jun 2001
> >understand that one could write a Java program that
> >emits a DB/2 database file, but I don't see why you'd
> >want to, or why using WFC would make that easier.
>
> Are you familiar with the phrase "turing complete"?  One could write any
> program to do anything.

Yes, and I know what it means, too. It does not
mean that you can write a program to do anything,
but rather anything that a turing machine can do.

Turing machines can't emit DB/2 databases.

Java *can*, because it has capabilities that
turing machines do not- the ability to do stream
I/O, in particular.

> Do you even HAVE a point, Dan?  EVER?

Sometimes. What I have here is a question: how
is IBM involved in WFC, really?

[snip]
> >So far you've claimed that MS partnered with others
> >to produce MFC and WFC, but this hardly suggests that it would
> >have been prohibitively difficult to do it themselves.
>
> No, the claim was that MS didn't actually author either MFC or WFC, but
> paid others for them.

That claim has not been made by anyone except
you, so far. Care to substantiate it?

I certainly won't take your word for it.

>  This clearly suggests they are incompetent at
> writing software.

Hardly.

> >Who knows? MFC might have sucked less had MS done it
> >entirely on their own. :D
>
> You would have to demonstrate how much it sucks first.  Being an endless
> task, you wouldn't have any opportunity for this imaginary "sucked less"
> that "might" have happened.  <*BIG STUPID GRIN*>

No, no, it's not spelled "<*BIG STUPID GRIN*>"; it's spelled
":D".

:D

[snip]
> >They cannot handle more than a small fraction
> >of the applications.
>
> They cannot handle even the OS; they lifted most of what is touted as
> "benefits of Windows" from others, as well.

MS does their own implementations of these
things, though. They seem to be able to handle
that much.

> What they did write is badly designed.

I think MS's software is frequently well
designed, and often better designed than the
competition.

They rarely get the implementation right on
the first try; it's the good designs they use that
allow them to overcome this in later
revisions of their software.

Comparing the Macintosh's journey to OS X
and Window's journet to Windows 2000 is very
instructive in this regard.

[snip]

Forgive me if I snipped most of your
post, but it was just content-free flamage,
and I have nothing entertaining to say about
it.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 16:18:24 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Ayende Rahien
<don'[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Thu, 7 Jun 2001 18:18:15 +0200
<9fo7bi$n1j$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

>"kosh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
>news:9fnl6v$b5e$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
>

>> It would have been a hell of a lot funnier if they had said the virus was
>> win.com, user.dat or system.dat.
>
>You can't delete those.
>But deleting Command.com will be effective, especially if you say reboot
>after deleting the file.

About all that will do (AFAICT) is affect Win <-> DOS thunking and
execution of .BAT files.  This means that one won't be able to run legacy
software or .BAT scripts (I can just see Microsoft in the corner saying,
"gosh, what a shame" :-) ).

Win95 removed the necessity of COMMAND.COM quite awhile ago; this
according to Andrew Schullman's _Unauthorized Windows95_,
paraphrased, anyway.

WinNT probably never had it (it uses CMD.EXE) unless it is for
running DOS windows -- at one point, IIRC, WinNT made a distinction
between a DOS window and a command prompt (both were black background;
both had white text by default -- the only difference was the command
processor: COMMAND.COM or CMD.EXE).

Of course, Win95 drivers may require it (e.g., Soundblaster likes
to have certain environment variables set).  Not sure where
CONFIG.SYS comes into the picture, or whether NT's System
settings (which include environment variables) have been put
into WinME or not.  (I don't have it; I can't say I know.)

I might try removing (actually, moving somewhere else) C:\COMMAND.COM
the next time I need to reboot to Win95, and see what the effects are.
(It's the newest Windows system I have at home.)

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- spare a couple grand for a nice powerful dual-processor
                    Linux system? :-)

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (quux111)
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux
Date: 8 Jun 2001 15:40:24 GMT

"Edward Rosten" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in news:9fqm7u$sj$[EMAIL PROTECTED]:

>> : anything to be proud of... as a whole. Yes it did step into WWII and
>> : WWI, which is good, but in the last 30 years it has been intervening
>> : and
>>
>> I think our exploits there have been over rated.  If we stopped
>> supplying computers to Germans at start of war, well after we knew what
>> they were going to use them for then thousands of Jews could have
>> escaped. IBM and Kodak made money from Germans the whole war.
>
> Er, no one was supplying computers to the Germans at the start of the
> war, since at that time, the only contry with a real computer at that
> time was Germany. The US didn't get computers until the 1940's (mabey
> 1943, IIRC).
>
> -Ed

It depends on what you mean by "computer".  The US was using a
sophisticated mechanical computer to break the Japanese "Purple" cipher as
early as 1937.  The British (and earlier the Poles) used the "Bombe" to
break the Enigma code.  These machines were for all intents and purposes
single-program computers.

The US Navy in 1938-1944 was also using machines to calculate artillery
trajectories (COLOSSUS?).

And the first real "digital" computer was created for the Los Alamos
scientists to model nuclear explosions -- Alan Turing advised much of the
design.

There is even an argument to be made that the Jacquard loom (which used
punched cards to generate patterns) was a real "computer", and that happend
in the late 1880's.  (A variant of this machine was used to conduct the US
Census prior to 1900.)

Regards,

quux111

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: LINUX PRINTING SUCKS!!!!!!!!
Date: 8 Jun 2001 16:21:34 GMT

drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 8 Jun 2001 03:12:42 GMT, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ([EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)) wrote:

>>drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> Lager? I thought you were talking about BEER, not that watery piss!
>>
>>What do you prefer?

> BITTER.

What *kind* of bitter, you simpleton.

=====.

--
"George Dubya Bush---the best presidency money can buy"

---obviously some Godless commie heathen faggot bastard

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (The Ghost In The Machine)
Crossposted-To: alt.aol-sucks,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 16:24:35 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, T. Max Devlin
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
 wrote
on Fri, 08 Jun 2001 04:05:43 GMT
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>Said Chris Ahlstrom in comp.os.linux.advocacy on Thu, 07 Jun 2001
>>flatfish+++ wrote:
>   [...]
>>> ie: This machine comes with 40 gigabytes of memory right?
>>
>>On the other hand, in the auto section of Walmart you'll hear more
>>intelligent questions.  Why is that?
>
>Well put.  Why *is* that?

It might be that NASCAR is more interesting than the yearly competition
amongst highly intelligent, computer-knowledgeable students (I forget
the name, but it's an East vs. West competition setup).  :-)

Of course, Battlebots (Comedy Central) and knockoffs such as Robotica
(TLC?) might change the equation slightly -- but even there, it's not
clear that there's much computer hardware there, beyond a remote control
and a few servos.

But it's a start. :-)

Not sure how one would create a show around such things as Codewars.
The idea is to write code that will take over the arena -- in this
case, a delimited interpreter within a computer, as I recall.
A far more sinister variant may be happening right now: Viruswars.
The arena in this case is every worldwide node on the network.

At least the Mitnick worm wasn't intentionally destructive, but
then, neither are certain mussels that hitch rides on international
shipping then take over the Great Lakes...sigh.

[.sigsnip]

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- just the good ole boys ... never meaning no harm ...
                    [ ] Check here to always compile your own software.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.ms-windows.nt.advocacy,comp.os.ms-windows.advocacy
Subject: Re: European arrogance and ignorance... (was Re: Just when Linux  starts
getting good, Microsoft buries it in  the       dust!)
Date: 8 Jun 2001 16:24:44 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy T. Max Devlin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Said [EMAIL PROTECTED] () in alt.destroy.microsoft on Wed, 6 Jun 2001
> 20:33:04 +0200;
>>In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>>      [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Stephen Edwards) writes:
>>>
>>> No, I'm a proud Yank.  And the very notion that
>>> a person should not be proud of his or her nation
>>> is absurd.  Everyone should be proud of their
>>> heritage, and their home.
>>
>>Nationalism and religeous hate have caused more problems on this
>>planet than anything else.

> Why confabulate the two?  Is it because your point that patriotism is
> bad is so utterly weak that unless you throw religion into the same mold
> you don't have a point, maybe?

>>I'm Scottish and proud of it but I
>>don't hate the English for what they have done in the past.

> Then why are you whining like a child because someone else is proud of
> where they are from?

>>I'm
>>all for getting away from nationalism.

> You'd prefer everyone in the world thought the same way?  That's called
> bigotry, to think your way is the only right way.  When taken to
> national levels, it generally becomes fascist.  Now do you understand
> why Stephen called you a communist?

>>As a yank I would keep
>>quiet as your country doesn't have a very good record as far
>>as most of the rest of the world is concerned (other than the
>>despots you have aided in supressing their citizens).

> We happen to have one of the best records ever made, dickweed.  Sure,
> the French and the English (note the order, limey) were instrumental,
> but then so were the ancient Greeks.  The USA pretty much provided the
> template for the modern sensibility of fundamental human rights, though,
> and Americans are and rightly should be very proud of the fact.

While at the same time, with the other hand, murdering people at Kent State,
Grant Park, The Bowery and Washington Square, etc. etc. etc.

And that was just in the last half of the last century.

Not to mention vietnam, nicaruagua, north korea, etc, etc, etc.

Not to mention McCarthy.

Or LBJ.

Actually, the united states has one of the WORST records of human rights
violations of any "civilized" country in the world.  We just like everyone
to think its best so that we can get out of paying our yearly dues for membership
in both NATO and the United Nations.

=====.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are a threat to heterosexuals
Date: 8 Jun 2001 16:26:46 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "." wrote:

>is

>> > Absolutely not.
>>
>> > Basic training is all about recognizing, alleviateing, and combating
>> > dangers of all sorts.
>>
>> Its actually all about volunteering to die

> The purpose of military is NOT to die for one's country....

Yes it is.  And you are irretrievably stupid for not understanding it.

You couldnt have been an officer in your imaginary tour during the "gulf war".

> or, as the DI in "Full Metal Jacket" so eloquently put it:

> " [describing a screw up] and then you'll be DEAD Marines....and then you'll
> REALLY be in a world of shit, because Marines don't die without permisssion."

>> for absolutely no reason at all.

> Do you enjoy your constitutional freedoms?

> a) no
> B) YES

> If so, thank a soldier.

Actually, I like them more when im enjoying them in holland or denmark, which has
identical freedoms (and much, much more)---except that they actually mean it.

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Date: 8 Jun 2001 16:27:32 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy Aaron R. Kulkis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> "." wrote:

>is

>> > Absolutely not.
>>
>> > Basic training is all about recognizing, alleviateing, and combating
>> > dangers of all sorts.
>>
>> Its actually all about volunteering to die

> The purpose of military is NOT to die for one's country....

> or, as the DI in "Full Metal Jacket" so eloquently put it:

> " [describing a screw up] and then you'll be DEAD Marines....and then you'll
> REALLY be in a world of shit, because Marines don't die without permisssion."

>> for absolutely no reason at all.

> Do you enjoy your constitutional freedoms?

> a) no
> B) YES

> If so, thank a soldier.

Oh and by the way, how exactly were you defending my constitutional freedom
in saudi arabia?

=====.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (.)
Subject: Re: Why homosexuals are no threat to heterosexuals
Date: 8 Jun 2001 16:28:39 GMT

In comp.os.linux.advocacy drsquare <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, 08 Jun 2001 08:38:38 -0400, in comp.os.linux.advocacy,
>  ("Aaron R. Kulkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>) wrote:

>>> Never worked at a fast food joint, didja.
>>>
>>> If you did, the food service industry would be at the forefront of your
>>> insane rant.
>>
>>Which is why gays should be prohibited from food service.
>>
>>Most hepatitis outbreaks are traced back to an infected food service
>>worker...and male homosexuals have the highest rate of hepatitis
>>infection in the civilized world.

> I'd like to see some statistics proving that. From a reliable source.

He wont answer you.  Or if he does, hell tell you to go look them up yourself.

Then when you dont find ANY evidence to support his wild, paranoid, delusional,
insane claims, he will tell you that its because you didnt look hard enough.

Ah, the song of the loon.

=====.

From: Jim Polaski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.sys.mac.advocacy
Subject: Re: More micro$oft "customer service"
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 16:31:02 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Rick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> http://public.wsj.com/sn/y/SB991862595554629527.html

Now if I'm the owner of a website and someone using M$ software comes
along and alters my site, I should think my lawyer is going to be
contacting someone about what unauthorized actions they have done. I
want to think I' see a legal issue here.

--
Regards,Jim Polaski"The measure of a man is what he will do
knowing he will get nothing in return.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bob Hauck)
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 16:31:45 GMT

On 7 Jun 2001 23:02:03 -0500, Jan Johanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> "Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:36:03 GMT, Christopher L. Estep
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Star Office? (Max, it's available for Windows (and it's still free), but
> > >can't compare feature-wise to Office 97, let alone either 2000 *or* the
> > >just-released XP.)
> >
> > Name a feature that it lacks compared to Office 97.
>
> Can you embed a spreadsheet application within a word processing document
> all within a slide show presentation?

You can.  Would you like to play again?

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| Codem Systems, Inc.

------------------------------

From: pip <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: IBM Goes Gay
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 17:37:59 +0100

"." wrote:

> >> I might have.  I hate the english.
> >>
> >> -----.
>
> > Racism is comtemptible.
>
> Hating the english isnt racism, its nationalism.

Come over here and say that and I will show you what I do to
"nationalists" (hint: I am a big bloke).

------------------------------

From: "Chad Myers" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 11:36:39 -0500

"Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On 7 Jun 2001 23:02:03 -0500, Jan Johanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > "Bob Hauck" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
> > news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> > > On Wed, 06 Jun 2001 00:36:03 GMT, Christopher L. Estep
> > <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> > > Name a feature that it lacks compared to Office 97.
> >
> > Can you embed a spreadsheet application within a word processing document
> > all within a slide show presentation?
>
> You can.  Would you like to play again?

Can you open any Windows logo compliant application and embed a StarOffice
wordprocessing document in it?

-c